PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking the sorcerer/prestige bard.

Noelsj
2011-10-06, 06:17 AM
Hi!!!

I'm starting a new game in a few weeks and I want to play a sorcerer/prestige bard. My DM allows all D&D material and, whats more,he allows his players to customize classes.

The only problem is that he is a bit lazy (he doesnt like reading rulebooks) and probably he will not be good at evaluating wether a modification is balanced or otherwise is too strong or weak.
------------------------------------------
So I want to modify the sorcerer as follows:

- One spell per level per day less

and balance it with:

- From spell levels 1 to 4: 2 extra spells known
Frorm level 5 to 9 1 extra spell known.

(I think that one extra casting per level is more powerful that know and extra spell but not as powerful as 2 extra spells known, that's why i give the 2 extra spells known only to the lower spells)
------------------------------------------------
And I want to modify the prestige bard as follows:

-Lower hit dice from D6 to D4
-Lower his BAB to poor.

and balance it with:

-Make its casting advancement 13/15 intead of 11/15.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance!!!

DeAnno
2011-10-06, 08:12 AM
It is not immediately obvious if the Sorc change helps or hinders, but if you have good to great Cha it probably helps since there is a huge logjam of spells at 3rd and 4th level. In the long term if you have access to the MiC but not random dragon mags its easier to get more spell slots than spells known, so this would be very good in that instance. If you have Knowstones from Dragon Mags or access to some way to get custom Runestaves it's not easy to deduce if the trade was economically efficient or not.

As for the Prestige Bard change it's much better now (still sorta meh but not awful anymore). Losing 3 total BaB and 15 hp is a laughable cost for two spellcasting levels.

Noelsj
2011-10-10, 05:06 AM
So, its not clear if it is balanced or not the sorcerer's changes.

Maybe something like 2 spells less per level per day in exchange for 3 extra spells known per level would be more clear?

Thanks for answering.

NNescio
2011-10-10, 05:43 AM
Why not just go Bard/Prestige Sorcerer Sublime Chord?