PDA

View Full Version : Merchant Warrior Help

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-06, 08:27 AM
I've long enjoyed the thought of playing a traveling merchant character. I've thought up a few characters for this, usually Artificers or such. The issue here is that the character usually relies on conjured or created/crafted "help" in combat...or wands.

What I'm looking for now if a merchant type character who handles these combat related problems his own way. What I have in mind is somewhere between Jayne/Malcom Renoldws (Firefly) and Craft Lawrence (Wolf & Spice).

The character should be capapble of selling is services, as well as goods. They would need to have some understanding of the law and merchant practices, how to handle money, a pulse on the happenings in the market, as well as possibly the ability to craft items themselves (though this is not required).

With this in mind, what is the best class/PrC for the job?

I would, if I could, like the stay away from Factotum, Wizard/Sorcerer, Druid and Cleric.

Assume any book is allowed (so long as it is 3.5). Assume muti-classing is allowed.

I plan on taking Coinsword from Dragonlance, cause it fits too well, and picture for the character is fun. I'm not sure what else to use, however.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

kalkyrie
2011-10-06, 09:00 AM
A few levels of Rogue is the obvious solution, giving you the skill points to cover those added features (Profession: Merchant springs to mind. Mix in Diplomancy, Gather info, Appraise, etc).

You probably don't need all the skill points rogue gives you (8 +Int bonus), so you should be able to max your skills even if you don't take that many levels of rogue.

There is probably a better class/prestige class out there, but this is a reasonable solution. And Rogue fits the Firefly characters you mentioned, of course.

Person_Man
2011-10-06, 10:08 AM
Mercantile Background feat from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting allows you to sell stuff for a 25% mark down (instead of the standard 50% mark down). If your DM actually follows standard wealth by level (instead of just giving you what he feels is appropriate/balanced) and you're playing in a long term campaign, it's a very potent feat.

Telonius
2011-10-06, 10:33 AM
Bard could work as well. They're not terrific crafters, but charisma skills can be great in negotiating prices, and they have plenty of skill points. Bardic Knowledge can be put to good use as well, in certain circumstances.

Oddly enough, a Paladin might be able to support this concept. They get Knowledge (nobility), Profession, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive as class skills. The fact that you're a Paladin would probably give a good incentive for people not to try to cheat you. I could absolutely see a LG worshipper of Fharlanghn going this route. Professional caravan security!

Morithias
2011-10-06, 10:40 AM
in power of faerun there actually is a "merchant prince" prestiege class, but unless you have a lot of downtime it's pretty useless. If you do have a year or so to kill, abusing shop loops can make you trillions of gold (max/min so you make more a month than it costs to open it)

Qwertystop
2011-10-06, 10:46 AM
Mercantile Background feat from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting allows you to sell stuff for a 25% mark down (instead of the standard 50% mark down). If your DM actually follows standard wealth by level (instead of just giving you what he feels is appropriate/balanced) and you're playing in a long term campaign, it's a very potent feat.

But if he's following WBL, then making more money would mean he gives less treasure to balance it. You effectively get a few levels ahead, then get no loot until you level catches up to your wealth.

Person_Man
2011-10-06, 03:44 PM
But if he's following WBL, then making more money would mean he gives less treasure to balance it. You effectively get a few levels ahead, then get no loot until you level catches up to your wealth.

Yeah, it depends heavily on whether and how your DM does the math on your wealth by level.

If the DM bases the amount of treasure that he gives you on the amount of treasure you are currently carrying, then taking Mercantile Background does in fact penalize you. But if the DM bases the amount of treasure he gives you off of the wealth by level chart without regard to what you've bought and sold or earned from side businesses (which is the RAW default), then it helps you out a lot. Or if the DM doesn't follow the Wealth By Level chart and just gives you what he feels like, it may or may not help you, depending upon whether or not he adjusts what he gives you based on his perceived power level of your character.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-07, 07:43 AM
in power of faerun there actually is a "merchant prince" prestiege class, but unless you have a lot of downtime it's pretty useless. If you do have a year or so to kill, abusing shop loops can make you trillions of gold (max/min so you make more a month than it costs to open it)

I may need to take a peak at it anyway. I'm curious, as I've never heard of it before.

Bard could work as well. They're not terrific crafters, but charisma skills can be great in negotiating prices, and they have plenty of skill points. Bardic Knowledge can be put to good use as well, in certain circumstances.

Oddly enough, a Paladin might be able to support this concept. They get Knowledge (nobility), Profession, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive as class skills. The fact that you're a Paladin would probably give a good incentive for people not to try to cheat you. I could absolutely see a LG worshipper of Fharlanghn going this route. Professional caravan security!

Bardic Knowledge seems a must for followingthe markets. But, as a merchant, what kind of perform would you use?

If only Marshals had Brdic Knowledge, or if only Bards had auras

Paladin had crossed my mind, as I would need good BAB and a lawful alignment for Coinsword.

It's a good fluff feat. What's aslo important, though, is how I can use it in game. I would need to be selling alot of stuff.

On a side note, I could charge a fee to the party to sell there loot. It gives a good story reason for following them around.

A few levels of Rogue is the obvious solution, giving you the skill points to cover those added features (Profession: Merchant springs to mind. Mix in Diplomancy, Gather info, Appraise, etc).

You probably don't need all the skill points rogue gives you (8 +Int bonus), so you should be able to max your skills even if you don't take that many levels of rogue.

There is probably a better class/prestige class out there, but this is a reasonable solution. And Rogue fits the Firefly characters you mentioned, of course.

See, I'm not sure about that. Rogue is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but I think I'd do better with levels in Bard, or maybe even Urban Ranger.

Telonius
2011-10-07, 07:59 AM
Bardic Knowledge seems a must for followingthe markets. But, as a merchant, what kind of perform would you use?

If it were d20 Modern, I'd say Perform (Power Point Presentation). :smallbiggrin: Perform Oratory would probably be the closest thematic thing for him. I'd allow a Perform (Sales Pitch) if I were the DM.

Runestar
2011-10-07, 08:05 AM
To me, he could simply be an expert/fighter multiclass. Expert gives him reasonable ranks in important skills, fighter for the bab and extra feats. Something like expert4/fighter4 should suffice as a base. Alternatively, replace expert with human paragon?

Feytalist
2011-10-07, 09:32 AM

Perform (heckling) or somesuch.

If he's going to be on the road with his caravan a lot, a few levels of ranger or wilderness rogue wouldn't go amiss. If you go ranger, he might even rope his animal companion into pulling the wagon :smallbiggrin:

Merchant Prince is probably better as a NPC class, but it might be worth a look.

CapnVan
2011-10-08, 08:42 AM
Worth noting: Mirt the Moneylender, probably the most famous D&D merchant, is statted out as a fighter/rogue.

PirateLizard
2011-10-08, 12:18 PM
My last merchant concept was a druid who's animal companion pulled the cart, and would disappear for a few days, then return with a cart full of fresh fruit, veggies, and uh...smokables. That was starting at level 1, so I suppose some actual optimization could work and you could graduate to bigger and better things. Personally that rogue dip for the skill points doesn't sound half bad...gonna have to ponder starting him out rogue and buying something at level 1 to do the pulling.

Actually might work out quite smashing. Sells turnips and onions level 1, level 2 "gets connected".

Gaiyamato
2011-10-08, 07:11 PM
If you are cool with Dragonlance stuff check out "The Master".

He can cope pretty well.

Actually I was once fooling about and put this together for giggles:

Chaotic Evil

Level 1: The Master 1
Level 1: Magical Training (CHA)
Human: Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Flaw: Secret Identity
Flaw: Fell Animate
Level 2: The Master 2
Master: Negotiator
Level 3: The Master 3
Level 3: Favoured in Guild
Level 4: The Master 4
The Otyug Hole: Iron Will
Level 5: The Master 5
Master: Skill Focus (Profession(Merchant))
Level 6: Merchant Prince 1
Level 6: Business Savvy
Level 7: Wearer of Purple 1 - Death Domain +SL Merchant Prince
The Metamagic Storm: Cooperative Spell
Level 8: Tainted Scholar 1 (+SL Merchant Prince)
Level 9: Death Delver 1
Level 9: Alternative Source Spell
Level 10: Mage of the Arcane Order 1 (Summon Undead II, Command Undead onto Arcane spell list) (+SL Merchant Prince)
Level 11: True Necromancer 1
Level 12: True Necromancer 2
Level 12: Pious Spellsurge
Level 13: True Necromancer 3
Level 14: True Necromancer 4
Level 15: True Necromancer 5
Level 15: Practised Spellcaster (Death Delver)
Level 16: True Necromancer 6
Level 17: True Necromancer 7
Level 18: True Necromancer 8
Level 18: Practised Spellcaster (Merchant Prince)
Level 19: True Necromancer 9
Level 20: True Necromancer 10

Hardly a great build but shows what you can do with The Master and Merchant Prince.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-08, 11:40 PM
If you are cool with Dragonlance stuff check out "The Master".

He can cope pretty well.

Actually I was once fooling about and put this together for giggles:

Hardly a great build but shows what you can do with The Master and Merchant Prince.

I was recently thinking I might need to invest in some Master levels. I'll need to double-check the class, but it goes well with just about anything.

I'm curious though, where is the Secret Identity Flaw from?

Gaiyamato
2011-10-09, 12:11 AM
The Quintessential Aristocrat book.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-09, 06:48 AM
The Quintessential Aristocrat book.

Thank you. I don't have any Mongoose stuff, but I may need to look into it.

Where is Wearer of Purple from, out of curiosity?