PDA

View Full Version : Kids....sometimes their crazy makes More sense

The Reverend
2011-10-06, 09:37 AM
So as my Uncles gave unto me the initiation to RPGs I so am passing it on to my nephews and we were creating characters when Darkvision came up and the youngest had a Great Fluff idea I had never heard. Darkvision means you see using darkness, not in darkness. For example a pitch black room would be like daylight for someone with darkvision, while day light would be like putting us in a dark room, but the shadows would be visible to them rather than the light spots. Darkness acts like light for their eyes, they arnt hypersensitive to light like nocturnal creatures in our world, literally their eyes aren't built to see light. It goes along with the magical science that light and dark are two separate things, dark isn't just the lack of light and cold isn't just a lack of heat. It wouldn't change it functionally in game but would make for some interesting traps, devices, and roleplaying fluffeyness. Im very proud of him.

The Random NPC
2011-10-06, 09:49 AM
It doesn't quite work in all cases, but I rather like it.

sdream
2011-10-06, 10:36 AM
http://www.talesofmu.com/story/other/summer-nights

“I see darkness,” she said. “When darkness falls on the bottom of a pit, I see the bottom by that darkness. Where the vault of a chamber is lost in darkness to light-seeking eyes, mine see it by that darkness. When I look up into the sky at night, I do not see darkness. I do not see the sky. I see nothing… nothing dotted with stars.”

FYI - this page is perfectly safe for work, but the story in general has a great deal of kinky S&M.

As for it's relevance, this is a world run by more or less DnD rules, brought to modern civilization level by advanced magic, similar to the setting of Eberron.

Doorhandle
2011-10-08, 06:25 AM
Marking this thread for role-playing win and the secrets of MAGIC SCIENCE

Morph Bark
2011-10-08, 07:17 AM
It makes sense yes, although darkvision is still black-and-white and has range limitations (other than how high your Spot check can go and objects being in the way).

TurtleKing
2011-10-08, 09:12 AM
Actually darkvision being only black and white is more of race dependent factor. Some races can still see color with their darkvision. Ok well standard is black and white though I have seen a few that also have color.

The Random NPC
2011-10-08, 11:21 AM
The range limitation is the thing that really kills that interpretation for me. Although, if you say that because they can see in the daylight as well as the darkness their darkvision is limited, and a race with true darkvision wouldn't have that limitation, that would revive it for me.