PDA

View Full Version : Greyhawk setting question

stack
2011-10-06, 11:13 AM
I am writing a background for a character for a game set in the Greyhawk setting. I would like him to be a minor noble whose house fell in a recent war. I need an area that is full of small kingdoms with high turnover rate so I don't have to tie-in to big events, something like Golarion's river kingdoms. Anywhere like that?

Barlen
2011-10-06, 12:21 PM
Keoland works for that, or even better the Grand Duchy of Geoff. They are next to each other. The recent wars saw humanoids come down from the mountains a take over Geoff and Sterich which both border Keoland. All were run using a system of "houses" politically.

stack
2011-10-06, 12:23 PM
Sounds like what I need. Thanks. I'll look them up on the wiki.

Keld Denar
2011-10-06, 12:30 PM
The Shieldlands has a lot of noble houses. During the constant conflict with Iuz the Old *spits*, various parts of the Shieldlands have been invaded, occupied, reclaimed, reoccupied, and reclaimed multiple times. The nobles there are relatively petty, squabbling amongst themselves constantly despite the great looming threat to the land presented by the Old One.

TheJudicator
2011-10-06, 01:54 PM
While I am not what you would call an expert of the 3.5 Greyhawk, I can tell you what I know from my ad&d based experience. The idea of a high turnover rate? Yeah, that kind of happened. A lot. Having an evil native demigod rise up and try to enslave the world kind of does that to places, hehe. But you're going for a minor nobility deal? Simple. There a number of good nations located central-southwest in tha world with plenty of space to insert your piece of backstory without any undue issues. Veluna, furyondy, verbobonc, Geoff, and the places near that are good choices set to the "good-aligned" sector of Greyhawk. For evil...pretty much anything north will suit your purposes.

PS. Retesting your post, I noted the "after a war" stipulation. If you can find it, I woul read up on the Greyhawk Wars, as it may interest you.