PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Optimization 3.XP

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 11:16 AM
Howdy Playground

For the first time in a year, I'm playing a dwarf (mostly due to my last dwarf being killed by a party member summoning a balor. RIP Balin Forgebeard)

I have no idea what to play however. I want to be the dwarfiest dwarf possible. Help?

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 03:14 PM
Update:

This is the base of what I'm looking at:

Race: Earth Dwarf (UA)- I like how it is more combat-focused than core dwarf. Any ideas on possible templates? And please, no Dragonborn, because the GM made dragonborn their own race (ala 4e)

Class: Warblade 6/Dwarf Paragon 3/Stonelord 4/Deep Warden 2/Deepstone Sentinel 5- I realize I'm not "optimal," but the fluff exceeds the crunch.

I also invision him to look like this: http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/2/936x1248_1330_Fantasy_load_2d_fantasy_dwarf_warrio r_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Now, I mostly need fluff/crunch help.

1) My DM is a backstory-whore, so I need help building a sweet backstory. His name's "Kagnus Soddahn of the Iron Glacier." If you have a backstory derived from a former character, I'll gladly splice

2) How would you see this character acting? His classes/race combo are odd (though exceedingly dwarf-y)

3) Optimization-wise, what "tier" would I be? Especially considering I won't move much

4) What feats should I choose?

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 06:09 PM
Anyone? I need help REALLY bad

Andion Isurand
2011-10-06, 06:12 PM
If 3.0 Dragon Magazine is allowed, take a look at the arctic template in issue 306 for +2 Con and -2 Cha among other things.

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 06:23 PM
If 3.0 Dragon Magazine is allowed, take a look at the arctic template in issue 306 for +2 Con and -2 Cha among other things.

so an Additional +2 con... Interesting choice. And who needs Charisma anyway? Professional dump stat. So with that, an Arctic Earth Dwarf Mr. Earth build is just good?

Fenryr
2011-10-06, 06:23 PM
2) I imagine that character funny. Serious, laughs at danger and calm. Probably LG or LN. Fights until the very end and loves to drink. Well, he's a dwarfy dwarf after all!

4) Power Attack and Toughness seem a bit obvious. Weapon Specialization and Weapon Focus, Improved Critical may work. Shocktrooper?

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 06:29 PM
2) I imagine that character funny. Serious, laughs at danger and calm. Probably LG or LN. Fights until the very end and loves to drink. Well, he's a dwarfy dwarf after all!

4) Power Attack and Toughness seem a bit obvious. Weapon Specialization and Weapon Focus, Improved Critical may work. Shocktrooper?

2) OMG! My girlfriend gave me a good backstory around a Lawful Neutral alignment. So he's a stereotype of a stereotype?
4) Toughness? It's a minor feat that kinda sucks. Maybe Improved Toughness? And as for Shock Trooper, I adore that feat. It's borderline broken (in comparison to almost EVERY OTHER weapon style feat). If only tyhe dwarfiest dwarf could use a dwarf-y fighting style. And too bad dwarf weapons are dumb (Urgosh? WTF?!)

Fenryr
2011-10-06, 06:33 PM
Toughness of Pathfinder, maybe? Or yes, Improved Toughness of 3.5. Diehard too! RAWR!

Which sources are aviable?

Unseenmal
2011-10-06, 06:33 PM
For your background issue, I like to use the 10 minute background. Here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19713850/The_Ten-Minute_Background--Post_your_characters!) it is. Although it usually takes longer than 10 minutes to do it....

I like it because it will get you into the mindset of your character so you will know if he is serious or funny or goofy...whatever. Based on the decisions you make.

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 06:34 PM
Toughness of Pathfinder, maybe? Or yes, Improved Toughness of 3.5. Diehard too! RAWR!

Which sources are aviable?

anything in 3.0, 3.5, Dragon Magazine, and Pathfinder

Coidzor
2011-10-06, 06:35 PM
What level are you starting to play this guy at?

Have you ever heard of Fistbeard Beardfist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7814.0)? Discussions involving him and Dwarf Fortress fluff are good places to go to look for the mentality you'll be shooting for if you want the dwarfiest dwarf you can dwarf.

Further (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189133) Reading (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174036)

Andion Isurand
2011-10-06, 06:40 PM
I know its not dwarfy...

But how about Troll Blooded as your first level only feat (Dragon 319 61) for Regeneration 1 (fire/acid) combined with the Heavy Legs construct graft (FoE 158) to ignore the fatigue Troll Blooded causes you when you are in sunlight.

Combined with one level of Spiritual Lion Totem barbarian (complete champion) to get pounce.

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 06:43 PM
What level are you starting to play this guy at?

Have you ever heard of Fistbeard Beardfist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7814.0)? Discussions involving him and Dwarf Fortress fluff are good places to go to look for the mentality you'll be shooting for if you want the dwarfiest dwarf you can dwarf.

Further (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189133) Reading (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174036)

His beard is just a beard. The beads are of his favored kills: a White Dragon's Tooth, a preserved orc chieftain's eye, an amber bead carved by his mother, and a signet ring he recovered from his lost Thaig (DM's a huge fan of DA)

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 06:45 PM
I know its not dwarfy...

But how about Troll Blooded as your first level only feat (Dragon 319 61) for regeneration 1 (fire/acid) combined with the Heavy Legs construct graft (FoE 158) to ignore the fatigue it causes you when you are in sunlight.

Combined with one level of Spiritual Lion Totem barbarian (complete champion) to get pounce.

Troll-Blooded: Maybe

Graft: DM hates grafts

Barbarian 1: eh... No idea what I'd drop, especially since my alignment is kinda set in stone

herrhauptmann
2011-10-06, 07:32 PM
I'd suggest just a level or two of warblade, then dwarf paragon, then more levels in warblade. Higher IL means better maneuvers/stances.

Your will and fort saves are going to be pretty high right? There's a tabard in Complete Champion that grants you Mettle. If you've already got Mettle, it grants improved Mettle.
Best option for mettle I can think of though, is Pious Templar 1. Needs weapon focus with deities weapon, and true believer though. PT 1 also opens up a set of spells for wand usage.

Why is your alignment locked in stone? Until you've started playing, it should be as mutable as your fluff (aside from restrictions of your class choices)

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 07:36 PM
I'd suggest just a level or two of warblade, then dwarf paragon, then more levels in warblade. Higher IL means better maneuvers/stances.

Your will and fort saves are going to be pretty high right? There's a tabard in Complete Champion that grants you Mettle. If you've already got Mettle, it grants improved Mettle.
Best option for mettle I can think of though, is Pious Templar 1. Needs weapon focus with deities weapon, and true believer though. PT 1 also opens up a set of spells for wand usage.

Why is your alignment locked in stone? Until you've started playing, it should be as mutable as your fluff (aside from restrictions of your class choices)

I just do classes in totality, not in order, so That's fine

I'd much like to avoid spellcasting, and besides, I didn't even enjoy Pious Templar

And I play the same alignment (if at all humanly possible). I know Lawful neutral inside & out. I play it almost as a "Street Judge"

Andion Isurand
2011-10-06, 08:02 PM

Or you can take 2 levels in the Witch Slayer PrC (ToM 67) for Mettle, which has minimal requirements.

D8 // high BAB // good fort and will // 4 + int skills

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 08:06 PM
Or you can take 2 levels in the Witch Slayer PrC (ToM 67) for Mettle, which has minimal requirements.

I still plan on my "original" build. I mostly need feats, equipment, and fluff

herrhauptmann
2011-10-06, 09:29 PM

True true. Completely forgot about that one.
The 'special' requirement might get a little difficult to finish if the DM doesn't throw a binder at you, and declares that spells like Magic Jar don't qualify for fightng a 'possessed' creature. But if your DM is like that, chances are ToM won't be on the table anyway.

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 09:41 PM
True true. Completely forgot about that one.
The 'special' requirement might get a little difficult to finish if the DM doesn't throw a binder at you, and declares that spells like Magic Jar don't qualify for fightng a 'possessed' creature. But if your DM is like that, chances are ToM won't be on the table anyway.

A player can choose ToM, ToB, or PF classes in this campaign. If it isn't in any of those 3 books (including all of the PF suppliments), it is under DM scrutiny to determine if it "fits with the campaign)

As for our campaign, I don't precisely know what level we will start. That being said, it'll be in the ballpark of 5-ish

herrhauptmann
2011-10-06, 09:52 PM
No worries.
Have you decided what kind of fighting style you want?
Two hand weapon? Two weapon fighting? Sword+board? I see Warblade and deepstone, so I'm getting an idea, but can't remember Stonelord (and don't have most of my books at the moment).

If you think the DM might allow homebrew, there's a list of reworked Stone Dragon maneuvers in the homebrew section by Endarire. I've used them, they're pretty nice (prefer them to ToB stonedragon actually)
For a future dwarf-type character, I'd like to suggest the stoneblessed PrC. With that, any race can qualify for dwarf prestige classes (or gnome or goliath). So you could have a halfminotaur human, warhulking hurler deepwarden deepstone sentinel. :D

Silliness aside,
if you go for a 2handed weapon, I suggest the Steadfast boots from MiC. Anytime someone charges you, you get a free hit as if you'd set your weapon against a charge, without losing an action. If you've got reach, it happens when they enter your reach, and you then get an AOO vs movement when they move out of the first square you threaten into the second.
If you go for TWF, I'd suggest stacking lots of 'debuff' abilities on your weapons. Things that stun, hold, curse, level drain, stat damage your enemies on a hit. At that point, it doesn't matter if you're a non-rogue and thus dealing 1d6+8 points of damage at level 10. All that matters is that you deal out lots of hits, and you'll make your mark in combat. (They also work on maneuvers, important when you're dealing just one hit per turn with your strikes).
Also, the feat Double hit (mini handbook?), and gloves of balanced hand (MiC).

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 09:57 PM
No worries.
Have you decided what kind of fighting style you want?
Two hand weapon? Two weapon fighting? Sword+board? I see Warblade and deepstone, so I'm getting an idea, but can't remember Stonelord (and don't have most of my books at the moment).

If you think the DM might allow homebrew, there's a list of reworked Stone Dragon maneuvers in the homebrew section by Endarire. I've used them, they're pretty nice (prefer them to ToB stonedragon actually)
For a future dwarf-type character, I'd like to suggest the stoneblessed PrC. With that, any race can qualify for dwarf prestige classes (or gnome or goliath). So you could have a halfminotaur human, warhulking hurler deepwarden deepstone sentinel. :D

Silliness aside,
if you go for a 2handed weapon, I suggest the Steadfast boots from MiC. Anytime someone charges you, you get a free hit as if you'd set your weapon against a charge, without losing an action. If you've got reach, it happens when they enter your reach, and you then get an AOO vs movement when they move out of the first square you threaten into the second.
If you go for TWF, I'd suggest stacking lots of 'debuff' abilities on your weapons. Things that stun, hold, curse, level drain, stat damage your enemies on a hit. At that point, it doesn't matter if you're a non-rogue and thus dealing 1d6+8 points of damage at level 10. All that matters is that you deal out lots of hits, and you'll make your mark in combat. (They also work on maneuvers, important when you're dealing just one hit per turn with your strikes).
Also, the feat Double hit (mini handbook?), and gloves of balanced hand (MiC).

Definitely THF. Especially with a greataxe (see picture in second post)

herrhauptmann
2011-10-06, 10:41 PM
Strongarm bracers, and 'heavy' weapons from Magic of Faerun.
Now you deal damage as if you were two sizes larger. Makes your weapon an exotic though because it's so bloody heavy.

If you can score an enlarge person, your great axe will deal 1d12 3d6 4d6 6d6 damage.

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 10:48 PM
Strongarm bracers, and 'heavy' weapons from Magic of Faerun.
Now you deal damage as if you were two sizes larger. Makes your weapon an exotic though because it's so bloody heavy.

If you can score an enlarge person, your great axe will deal 1d12 3d6 4d6 6d6 damage.

wow... That's just plain silly

herrhauptmann
2011-10-06, 11:15 PM
No, silly is the Large sized halfminotaur wielding a 120 pound golden greathammer with his 30 strength (at level 8).
Very silly is when he's a dwarven defender.
Extremely silly, is when he's a psy-war dwarven defender, and gets an additional size increase out of Psi Expansion.
:smallbiggrin:

Hey, we suggest things. It's up to you to decide which you want, and which you want to beg the DM to allow.

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 11:19 PM
No, silly is the Large sized halfminotaur wielding a 120 pound golden greathammer with his 30 strength (at level 8).
Extremely silly, is when he's a psy-war dwarven defender, and gets an additional size increase out of Psi Expansion.

Hey, we suggest things. It's up to you to decide which you want, and which you want to beg the DM to allow.

I dig the Golden Axe, but unreal damage numbers are just way beyond my DM's comfort zone

Frosty
2011-10-06, 11:21 PM
So kinda like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caHgf8m7fsc&feature=related)?

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 11:27 PM
So kinda like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caHgf8m7fsc&feature=related)?

Under when it says "Critical," It should have a comment that says, "No ****..."

Coidzor
2011-10-06, 11:53 PM

Dwarves need Mettle almost thematically, yeah, so this sounds really good.

hex0
2011-10-07, 06:51 PM
There is also Pious Templar.

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-10-07, 09:47 PM
Hammer of Moradin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040305a)

Requires 2nd level divine Spellcasting, but it give a slew of abilities, also is super dwarven, Its from the Players Guide to Faerun. You might convince your DM to reflavor it's Hammer abilities to Axe abilities and bingo bango, Bob's your uncle!

ericgrau
2011-10-07, 11:22 PM
Reminds me of dragonlance. Whether you wield a hammer or an axe, have a really good reason for it and why you think it is far superior to the other option.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-09, 02:01 PM
There is also Pious Templar.
Was already suggested and turned down...

I'd much like to avoid spellcasting, and besides, I didn't even enjoy Pious Templar

Anyway, the comment I made about spells for PT? Now that they're on your list, you don't even need to worry about your UMD checks when using the wands from that spell list.
If I remember right, it's the paladin spell list. And some of the spells are very nice swift actions to use right before a charge.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-09, 02:16 PM
As Deepstone Sentinel clearly states that dwarves smash faces with Stone Dragon, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for you to ask your DM to let Dwarf Paragon count as full initiator levels for your warblade when you use Stone Dragon, or maybe even advance your warblade maneuvers and stances

After all, elf paragon advances wizard casting, gnome paragon advances bard casting, so dwarf paragon could easily advance maneuvers.

hex0
2011-10-09, 03:04 PM
As Deepstone Sentinel clearly states that dwarves smash faces with Stone Dragon, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for you to ask your DM to let Dwarf Paragon count as full initiator levels for your warblade when you use Stone Dragon, or maybe even advance your warblade maneuvers and stances

After all, elf paragon advances wizard casting, gnome paragon advances bard casting, so dwarf paragon could easily advance maneuvers.

The other paragons also have 3/4 bab with their spellcasting. I suppose they wanted Dwarf paragon to be more like the Fighter class (the Dwarf favored class). It should contribute to your initiator level at least like a prestige class, though paragon classes aren't prestige classes raw.