PDA

View Full Version : Low magic Tier 3 Ranger/Scout - Swift Hunter discussions

tundrawalker1
2011-10-06, 12:27 PM
Hello again folks. Our group is about to embark on another 3.5 D&D campaign run by Tyger from these boards. It is a tier 3 3.5 D&D game with low magic rules and set in the realm of Westeros from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire," books. The game is going to be low power and for anyone familiar with those wonderful books, it is going to be next to no magic and a very low economy. This group has been playing some mid to high level power games for a while now so we decided to give this type of setting a try and we are all on board for a challenging low powered game.

There are a number of house rules we use. Only one Prestige Class permitted and if you take it, you have to finish it before you can move into another PrC. There are no class skills at all and all skills can be purchased on a one for one cost. LA buyoffs are permitted. Creatures not normally subject to Precision Damage or criticals that have a discernable corporeal anatomy like undead are now subject to precision damage and criticals. Favored Classes rules are gone. Only one flaw is permitted. Most races are fine but they will look human (you can be any race that fits and use their stats but they will look like humans as there are only humans in the setting). And a few others.

In light of playing a low powered character (tier 3 or lower) and the fact that the game is set in the North of Westeros and at the wall (we are all brothers of the night's watch) I am playing a ranger/scout. I am playing a whisper gnome who is one of the crannogmen. Here are my stats and level progression:

Whisper Gnome, 32 point build

STR: 10 DEX: 17 CON: 16 INT: 14 WIS: 14 CHA: 8

Level 1: Scout 1 (Point Blank Shot - flaw) (Precise Shot)
Level 2: Ranger 1 (Track)
Level 3: Scout 2 (Able Sniper)
Level 4: Scout 3
Level 5: Scout 4 (Swift Hunter)
Level 6: Ranger 2 (Improved Skirmish) (Rapid Shot)
Level 7: Ranger 3 (Endurance)
Level 8: Ranger 4 (Retrain Endurance for Manyshot)
Level 9: Ranger 5 (Greater Manyshot)
Level 10: Ranger 6
Level 11: Ranger 7
Level 12: Ranger 8 ()
Level 13: Ranger 9
Level 14: Ranger 10
Level 15: Ranger 11 (Weapon Focus: longbow)
Level 16: Ranger 12
Level 17: Ranger 13
Level 18: Ranger 14 (Alertness)
Level 19: Order of the Bow Initiate 1
Level 20: Order of the Bow Initiate 2

Ordinarily I would say the animal companion ability is not great but in this setting with the low magic and low power, it will be more useful than in an ordinary D&D game. I am also considering taking the Dark Template as well and buying it off at 3rd level to offer some great bonuses to a sneaky scout.

So I am looking for some discussion on the build. Suggestions are welcomed but keep in mind the low power level of the game. My interest is in suggestions for the levels 1 through to 12 as this group rarely has a game go longer than level 12. I have read the Ranger, Scout and Swift Hunter handbooks and thought they were really helpful.

Thanks for the (lengthy) read and I hope we can have a good discussion about this.

skycycle blues
2011-10-06, 01:00 PM
I'm not as familiar with Westeros as I'm sure you and the rest of the players are, but if it's low magic, wouldn't turning into a bear also be something of an issue?

Tvtyrant
2011-10-06, 01:08 PM
What is your plan with the wildshape? It doesn't really help much with your archery focus, especially since you can't turn into big things with big bows.

Eldariel
2011-10-06, 01:26 PM
What is your plan with the wildshape? It doesn't really help much with your archery focus, especially since you can't turn into big things with big bows.

You can however use large primate forms for solid stats. Legendary Ape would have 30 Str and 17 Dex, for instance. Tho the fact that most of them have more Str than Dex is probably something of an issue; still, nice damage for composite bows.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-06, 01:32 PM
You can however use large primate forms for solid stats. Legendary Ape would have 30 Str and 17 Dex, for instance. Tho the fact that most of them have more Str than Dex is probably something of an issue; still, nice damage for composite bows.

I disagree, Ranger wildshape only goes to small and medium. With wildshape prestige classes you could make it better, but it itself is not going to aid you at archery.

Eldariel
2011-10-06, 01:33 PM
I disagree, Ranger wildshape only goes to small and medium. With wildshape prestige classes you could make it better, but it itself is not going to aid you at archery.

Legendary Ape is medium, for instance.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-06, 01:35 PM
Legendary Ape is medium, for instance.

That... Doesn't make any sense. MMII agrees with you, but normal unmodified ape is large. "It got smaller, faster, stronger."

Is there an enhancement that makes your bows draw alter to your strength score? Because that would be perfect.

Eldariel
2011-10-06, 01:41 PM
That... Doesn't make any sense. MMII agrees with you, but normal unmodified ape is large. "It got smaller, faster, stronger."

It's obviously evolved to its final form (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BishonenLine); Dire Ape is the One-Winged Angel (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneWingedAngel).

Is there an enhancement that makes your bows draw alter to your strength score? Because that would be perfect.

Not precisely but you can use Bow of the Winterymoon as a base item for that function, or Hank's Bow of course.

tundrawalker1
2011-10-06, 02:18 PM
Staying closer to the setting, I am pretty sure I won't go with the Wildshape Variant. It is super cool and does make the ranger better but there is no evidence of shapechangers in the Martin books. So I will edit my original post to show this change.

tundrawalker1
2011-10-07, 08:15 AM
So, any suggestions on archery builds that I have not covered?