PDA

View Full Version : Quorbred Karsite Bloodstormblade.

aazru
2011-10-06, 01:15 PM
This is just for fun and wild curiosity... for now(dun-dun-duuun).

So. Quorbred(SoS) Karsite(ToM) can't cast arcane, divine and psionic powers. Gets a lot of resistances. +2 Con +4 Int -2 Wis -2Cha. And suppresses magic item/disrupts casting for one round.
This has Warblade written all over it. :smallbiggrin: So can Boodstormblade deliver those on melee attack effects with its throws?
Anyway, what do you think of this race/template combo(lest drop LA talk for now)? What would you add to it? :smallamused: what else it can be milked for? Gimme your wildest ideas.

Keld Denar
2011-10-06, 02:06 PM
Yes. Using Thunderous Throw, your "ranged" attacks are actually just melee attacks made at range. There is no difference between a BSB attacking foes within his threat range as there is for one attacking foes within his thrown range. Anything you can do with a melee attack, you can do at range with your thrown weapon, including tripping, disarming, sundering, delivering spellstored spell, smiting, PAing, Knockback, and just plain inflicting HP damage.

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 03:27 PM
Wait... +8 Intelligence?! That's insane. And the "no psi" thing doesn't bother you as much. Well done. I almost suggest grabbing Mage Hunter, so u can shut down casters.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-06, 07:26 PM
Wait... +8 Intelligence?! That's insane. And the "no psi" thing doesn't bother you as much. Well done. I almost suggest grabbing Mage Hunter, so u can shut down casters.

Can a BSB make an AOO with his thrown weapon? Or must he take a feat (probably 3) to make a ranged AOO?
If you can manage that, I think you might have about the best anti-caster warrior possible.
Mageslayer+PMP+Blindfight+PMC at range.

Can a karsite quorbred use standard (not spell completion) items? I'm thinking primarily of a continuous custom item with the psi-power synesthete, making you functionally immune to blindness/deafness. After that, just standard melee gear.

And what is the LA of this combo?

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 07:33 PM
And what is the LA of this combo?

Karsite's +2

herrhauptmann
2011-10-06, 07:38 PM
What about quorbred?

Tokuhara
2011-10-06, 07:39 PM
What about quorbred?

It's commonly seen as a 2LA template (even though it doesn't Outright say it) due to the "Advancing a Quorbred Creature" bar at the end of its page

aazru
2011-10-07, 06:43 AM
I've missed that +2 to con, he he. After a nice sleep I can dive into it again.
A Quorbred(+2LA) Karsite(+2LA) gets:
Human bonus feat and skill point. Two bonus feats: Hostile Mind, Mental Resistance. +2 Con +4 Int -2 Wis -2Cha.
Karsite: Cannot cast arcane or divine spells even if he takes spellcaster levels. Can use spell-like abilities and magic items normally.
Quorbred: Cannot learn or use psionic powers or feats. Cannot use psionic items.
Spell/power resistance, heals on resists. DR 5/magic.
Immunity to dream based spells and effects. Immunity to fear. bonuses to saves against mind effecting and illusions.
Intellectual: Uses Int in place of Wis or Cha for save DCs for abilities tha are normally Wis or Cha based(now this is a fun one).
And this gem :smallbiggrin: Closed mind: Difficult to detect with divination magic and clairsentience powers, including effects that duplicate them. If check is failed the effect fails(duh). I foresee arguments on what this does to wizards divination defenses(I made my check:smallsmile:).
And now to the core of this. Disruptive Strike, on failed Fort save(Int to DC) unable to use spells, spell-likes and psionics for one round. Magic Draining Strike, on failed Will save(Cha to DC, I wonder if Intellectual changes this to Int) one random(or specific if you have knowledge of it) magic item suppressed for one round.

Fun stuff. i hope I didn't violate rules of quoting here. :smallbiggrin:
Essentially for high op builds Quorbred alone is sufficient. But i like this combo more.

aazru
2011-10-07, 09:52 AM
Before I get my hands on ToB and other books... here is what I got to off the top of my head.
ToB, Incarnum amd all the melee out ther is legal as far as I can see. Binders seem interesting in this light.
It clearly says you can be a spellcastre but can't cast. So can i use spellslots to fuel Arcane Strike? What was the way to turn your spellslots into spell-likes? I just want to know all my options.
2 levels of PsyWar might be usefull. Why not just Fighter? I can't even learn powers and take psionic feats. But! I still get power points(?) and that means psionic focus. Dimond Mind synergy right there. I trade 1bab for psionic focus.
Is Mage Slayer that good? I've heard of it, seems flavorful for this character. Just like Ranger acf, Favored Enemy: Arcanists + Nemesis.

Any other things I should look up? Will return later with other ideas/questions.

Keld Denar
2011-10-07, 10:25 AM
As is normal with +LA, you run into issues where the abilities you get from them generally scale off your HD, and you are 4 HD behind. That means an average of 2 DC behind on things like Disruptive Strike and Magic Draining Strike, and 4 points behind on SR/PR.

Mage Slayer is decent, but the real gem there is taking Blindfighting (a Warblade bonus feat), and building off of Mage Slayer into Pierce Magical Concealment. Miss chance is one of a mage's biggest defenses. Not any more.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 11:07 AM
As is normal with +LA, you run into issues where the abilities you get from them generally scale off your HD, and you are 4 HD behind. That means an average of 2 DC behind on things like Disruptive Strike and Magic Draining Strike, and 4 points behind on SR/PR.

Mage Slayer is decent, but the real gem there is taking Blindfighting (a Warblade bonus feat), and building off of Mage Slayer into Pierce Magical Concealment. Miss chance is one of a mage's biggest defenses. Not any more.

A Quorbred Karsite is like a Quorbred Drow: Anti-Spellcaster/Psionics with the ability to temporarily shut them down. I suggest Feat Ranger with Favored Enemy: Arcanists+Nemesis, Mage Slayer to Pierce Magic Concealment, then add Warblade to taste. Sprinkle with Bloodstorm Blade. Bake for 20 levels and you have a bonafied Mage Killer

Keld Denar
2011-10-07, 11:26 AM
As I said, it LOOKS nice on paper. You get SR, a ton of immunities and abilities, etc.

But when you sit down and look at what that SR means compared to a normal encounter, you start falling a little flat. SR is generally a bad investment for players anyway, since many foes you really want to use it against are higher level than you ("boss" encounters) to begin with. Then you factor in that you are whatever your +LA is behind in HD, which reduces your SR. +4 LA + a 2 level difference between you and your foe means that your SR is 6 points lower than what it "should" be to give you a 50% miss chance. That means you only have about a 20% miss chance, maybe less.

And thats before you even consider the number of SR:No spells printed, even in the PHB. What does this character do when he gets hit with a Solid Fog? Same thing everyone else does...muck through it for 2ish rounds, SR be darned.

Its ok, but its not the greatest thing in CharOp since Pun-Pun.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 11:31 AM
As I said, it LOOKS nice on paper. You get SR, a ton of immunities and abilities, etc.

But when you sit down and look at what that SR means compared to a normal encounter, you start falling a little flat. SR is generally a bad investment for players anyway, since many foes you really want to use it against are higher level than you ("boss" encounters) to begin with. Then you factor in that you are whatever your +LA is behind in HD, which reduces your SR. +4 LA + a 2 level difference between you and your foe means that your SR is 6 points lower than what it "should" be to give you a 50% miss chance. That means you only have about a 20% miss chance, maybe less.

And thats before you even consider the number of SR:No spells printed, even in the PHB. What does this character do when he gets hit with a Solid Fog? Same thing everyone else does...muck through it for 2ish rounds, SR be darned.

Its ok, but its not the greatest thing in CharOp since Pun-Pun.

IIRC, there's Improved Spell Resistance and Improved Power Resistance as feats. Perhaps, in this case, the feats are a worthwhile investment?