PDA

View Full Version : Animal Control: Does it still work in 3.5?

Cieyrin
2011-10-06, 01:45 PM
Q 583: Is Animal Control (Masters of the Wild) still a viable feat for D&D 3.5? One of its prerequisites is the animal friendship spell, which is no longer necessary in 3.5 and thus doesn't exist. The Ring of Animal Friendship still exists and uses Charm Animal, so would that be a suitable substitute or is this a RAI/RAW argument at this point?

Masters of the Wild is a 3.0 supplement; and while a lot of 3.0 was updated and reprinted in the 3.5 Complete Series, this particular spell/feat were left out.
I would say it isn't viable for a strictly 3.5 game (mainly because neither the spell nor the feat exist there). And since it doesn't exist in 3.5 supplements, it's not really a matter of RAW. :smalleek:

While you can easily draw the parallel with Charm Animal, its still left up to the DM (as he is the final arbiter of which sourcebooks to allow and which prereq's can be substituted for others).

But if your game already uses a blend of 3.0 and 3.5 then you can take the feat as easily as you can take the spell. :smallbiggrin:

As was suggested to me in D&D 3.5 Q&A, I'd like to open this up to the forumites. I know the general rule with 3.0 in 3.5 is if it's unupdated, it's grandfathered in, it's just that the feat would generally work except for the Animal Friendship prerequisite. So, what does the forum think in regards to this? Ye Olde Animal Friendship in this case works with the feat as other Rebuke abilities tend to that are already part of 3.5, so that's not an issue.

Coidzor
2011-10-06, 01:51 PM
It was basically updated into Initiate of Nature (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19564270/?pg=last) which you can use much more readily and without having to eat another feat.

File off the FR-serial number and have fun.

Although, I'll admit, getting it tied to a class level rather than caster level is a bit of a downer. Not sure if any of the rebuking+ items would help with this or if all of them only help with undead offhand...

Hmm, there anything like Holy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#holy) which will work on Neutrals to give them negative levels? I know they'll work if you ever manage to come across any Horrid Dire Animals, since they get made NE by the template...

Cieyrin
2011-10-06, 02:06 PM
It was basically updated into Initiate of Nature (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19564270/?pg=last) which you can use much more readily and without having to eat another feat.

File off the FR-serial number and have fun.

Although, I'll admit, getting it tied to a class level rather than caster level is a bit of a downer. Not sure if any of the rebuking+ items would help with this or if all of them only help with undead offhand...

Hmm, there anything like Holy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#holy) which will work on Neutrals to give them negative levels? I know they'll work if you ever manage to come across any Horrid Dire Animals, since they get made NE by the template...

I considered Initiate of Nature but I have my god spoken for, so I pursued this as an alternative and came into my current quandary, unless there's something somewhere that says I can worship more than one at a time across different settings. Also the fact that Animal Control is tied to CL had crossed my mind as useful, since I wasn't planning on staying straight classed.

As for a Holy equivalent on Neutrals, I'm not aware of one.

Coidzor
2011-10-06, 02:07 PM
I considered Initiate of Nature but I have my god spoken for, so I pursued this as an alternative and came into my current quandary, unless there's something somewhere that says I can worship more than one at a time across different settings.

Yes, it's called adapting things when you're not playing in their setting.

Cieyrin
2011-10-06, 02:13 PM
Yes, it's called adapting things when you're not playing in their setting.

I know, just some of the DMs I play with get testy about drawing FR material into a Greyhawk game. Not in my hands, hence, again, why I'm pursuing Animal Control as an alternative.