PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember a spell

Major
2011-10-06, 02:40 PM
Alright, so I'm in this game and am one of the villains. It is based on Bleach with each of the main people ranked #1-#10. I'm pretty sure I'm the best and I'm pretty sure I can easily win this.

The problem is initiative. That is the only area I'm not sure I can win with. Also, in a one vs one I know I can win in a multiperson fight they might all gang up on me.

I know there is a wizard spell that lets me go right away that starts with a c...but I can't remember the name or the book... celerity?

Anyways, that's one spell I need to find the book for. Also, I'm needing to know of any spells that would let me auto-win initiative. I only have access to 7th so sadly no time stop meaning if it is a multi-person fight I need to go first and drop one, then interrupt a turn and drop another, etc.

I know for a fact that one of my spells can drop each of them one by one. I just need to be able to fire off more.

(finger of death: normally it sucks, but my save is high enough that it should beat most their forts except on a 20 most likely or MAYBE on a high roll [doubt it]. I'd be surprised if they could make it.)

finger isn't a ray correct? It's just point and die?

gkathellar
2011-10-06, 02:43 PM
Celerity, Spell Compendium. PHBII. EDIT: I'm an idiot.

Glimbur
2011-10-06, 02:44 PM
Celerity is a spell in PHB II. Note that you can't cast an immediate action if you are flat footed, so you might be better served by Nerveskitter which is in... Spell Compendium? It gives a significant bonus to AC, and it is first level so you can easily get a wand of it. Sign is a low level cleric spell which also helps initiative. You can buff your dex to increase initiative: one method for that is polymorph.

Finger of Death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fingerOfDeath.htm) is indeed a targeted spell, not a ray. I am disappointed in your opposition if they are not immune to it.

Killing a person in round one is a good way to get everyone else to gang up on you. Have a plan for that.

Keld Denar
2011-10-06, 02:45 PM
Celerity is in the PHBII, not the SpC.

Major
2011-10-06, 02:55 PM
Hmmm dang, celerity cost me my next turn. Great in a 1 vs 1, horrible in a free-for-all.

Perhaps celerity, invisibility, then wait?

I definetly want to go before the cleric and drop them before they can get spells off.

We are low items. Due to the nature of the bleach style campaign we all have crazy stats, but not many items so I don't think many (except the cleric) will be able to be immune.

I'm also not sure if we will have time to buff before hand (I'll have to ask the DM). Either way the cleric is the biggest risk since she can also cast spells.

Being a battle royal that makes it rough on how to drop the others quickly and without getting dropped. Technically I doubt anyone can drop me with just HP damage (again we are VERY powerful), but the casters could be risky.

Are there any immediate action spells that would let me act first in initiative (either give me a giant boost when we roll without casting ahead of time)?

If I can go first I can drop the cleric, turn greater invisibility, buff up, and then drop the others.

Edit: Unless someone knows a better option to drop a load of people instantly before they can throw up buffs?

CTrees
2011-10-06, 02:59 PM
If they're smart not stupid, they should be immune to death effects. You won't know until you try, at which point you will have wasted a spell and, more importantly, an action.

You could start off blasting, or you could spend some time throwing out defenses, then Gates, making yourself not die and not making yourself an immediate target. The longer they don't target you, the longer they're hitting each other.

EDIT: Is Celerity -> Time Stop an option?

Eldest
2011-10-06, 03:06 PM
I only have access to 7th so sadly no time stop
That's a no.
Kill the cleric, hide until everyone else kills each other, then mop up if you can. If you need to kill somebody to receive points or something like that then hit people with low-med level spells while hidden.
One possible combo is Cloudkill and Solid Fog on top of each other. All on top of another PC.

Major
2011-10-06, 03:14 PM
If they're smart not stupid, they should be immune to death effects. You won't know until you try, at which point you will have wasted a spell and, more importantly, an action.

You could start off blasting, or you could spend some time throwing out defenses, then Gates, making yourself not die and not making yourself an immediate target. The longer they don't target you, the longer they're hitting each other.

EDIT: Is Celerity -> Time Stop an option?

In a normal D&D game I would agree. However this is using the Bleach D20 Classless version and items are quite common. We weren't given money etc to buy starting items and since all of us are hollows I don't know of anyway that people would have death immunity other than the one with cleric list spell casting.

The thing that makes me a threat is I have the strength of a colossal sized creature (spent most my powers on that) and have strength as my spell stat DC (one of my sword abilities). Thus the powerfulness of this build.

I realize its risking showing all my power, but I want to get that cleric out before it can get immunity to me. (if there is time to buff I'll need a whole new plan)

I'm pretty sure I'll need to get a few area of effect powers as well since I know one player will be able to get about 70-90% miss chance on him. Due to the nature of the game death by damage is VERY hard to do. (possible, but hard) so I'll want to try status effects and such.

I don't normally play Wizards so I'm a bit low on wizard knowledge in combat. I only took wizard because I got "one classes casting list" I figured wizard was best choice.

Good news 1 vs 1 >:)

Lateral
2011-10-06, 07:45 PM
The Quick Recovery feat from Lords of Madness lets you recover from dazing by making a Will save. Will you be able to make a Will save of 10+1/2 CL+STR mod?

Also, yes, Nerveskitter is very potent for pumping initiative.

Andion Isurand
2011-10-06, 08:19 PM
The silthilar spine graft from LoM, if you can find/afford it, can grant you a +4 racial bonus to Initiative among other things.

A hummingbird familiar (Dragon 323 page 98) can grant you +4 on Initiative checks. (and double that if you're an elf taking the 3rd elven wizard substitution level)

The heroics spell (sor/wiz 2, SpC 113) can grant a creature any fighter bonus feat it qualifies for. Lasts 10 min/level. Improved Initiative is such a feat.

Or you can take Improved Initiative in place of Scribe Scroll using the combat wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) variant.