PDA

View Full Version : Thought Exercise: Most Animesque Swordsman?

Redshirt Army
2011-10-06, 08:31 PM
We all know that the Tome of Weeabo Fightan Magic Battle is often derided as being too "anime" for many campaigns, despite the fact that Warblade and Crusader don't need to be visibly supernatural at all, and even the Swordsage can stay away from the more unrealistic maneuvers.

That said, I've become curious as to what would an actual "anime" swordsman build would look like. (I'm aware that anime as a medium can be as realistic or fantastical as any other way of telling a story - in this case I'm referring to the kind of over-the-top swordplay critics of the Bo9S accuse it of.)

This character should be capable of attacking dozens of times in the blink of an eye, move so quickly they practically teleport, slice through huge structures, and be able to able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and so on...

My first thought was an Ardent of some kind, but I'm sure the Playground has plenty of build (and anime) advice to share!

Hirax
2011-10-06, 08:38 PM
I don't watch Anime and am relying completely on stereotypes (though I did take 2 years of Japanese), but I don't see any sort of character as being more or less anime than any other. Hulking muscle bound pounce-whirl-barians, blaster mages, monks/kings of smack, throwers...really the only things I can't heavily Japanimate in my head are archers and battlefield controllers. Not the emphasis on the word heavily. I don't consider ToB any more anime than druids, sorcerers, clerics, fighters, etc.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-06, 08:44 PM
We all know that the Tome of Weeabo Fightan Magic Battle is often derided as being too "anime" for many campaigns, despite the fact that Warblade and Crusader don't need to be visibly supernatural at all, and even the Swordsage can stay away from the more unrealistic maneuvers.

That said, I've become curious as to what would an actual "anime" swordsman build would look like. (I'm aware that anime as a medium can be as realistic or fantastical as any other way of telling a story - in this case I'm referring to the kind of over-the-top swordplay critics of the Bo9S accuse it of.)

This character should be capable of attacking dozens of times in the blink of an eye, move so quickly they practically teleport, slice through huge structures, and be able to able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and so on...

My first thought was an Ardent of some kind, but I'm sure the Playground has plenty of build (and anime) advice to share!

Not a representation of all the posible anime-esque bulds; but this thread captures the feel of many anime characters quite faithfully.
(http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6002)

True they only hail from one series; but there are many characters and most of them are quite distinct.

kardar233
2011-10-06, 09:14 PM
Aww, I was hoping that was going to that thread about how Warlocks are so anime.

Zaq
2011-10-06, 10:05 PM
First, make your sword as big as you can . . .

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-06, 10:10 PM
First, make your sword as big as you can . . .

Powerful Build + Fullblade + Expansion?

Zaq
2011-10-06, 10:12 PM
That's a start. There has to be something stupid we can do to make it bigger, because that's clearly not big enough.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-06, 10:16 PM
I actually take it as a compliment if some calls ToB anime, no matter what they think. :smallamused: Rock Lee and Roronoa Zoro are the most awesome characters ever. :smallbiggrin:

Rock Lee and Zoro are both Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/warblade X.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-06, 10:18 PM
Does Giant size up the size of your weapons? Cause if that is the case you could drop your weapon cast enlarge person/expansion, what ever for one size increase. Now you pick your weapon which isn't affected by the spell and then you cast Giant Size. Now the the way I think the spell interacts the weapon does increase size but you stay large (due some weird interaction between spells that affect size).

Edit:

Zoro:Cleric (Hunger* and War Domain) 1/Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger 2**/Warblade X (heavy focus on Tiger Claw and Iron Heart)

* Hunger Domain gives you a bite attack which in turn allows us to use a mouthpick (LoM) Weapon
**If you have a nice DM as for Multiweapon fighting from Ranger

flabort
2011-10-06, 10:20 PM
That's a start. There has to be something stupid we can do to make it bigger, because that's clearly not big enough.

Just... wield a weapon too large for yourself, eat the penalty :smalltongue:

Or, Get a guy to cut down a tree, lop off it's branches, and sharpen it down to a point. pay him 1 gp. Cast Launch Bolt, using your 1 GP gargantuan++ bolt as the bolt. :smallwink:

Or, what is that feat called... Monkey Grip? Lets you wield a one handed sword one size larger, as a two hander? No, I have to be thinking of something else...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-06, 10:21 PM

Or, Get a guy to cut down a tree, lop off it's branches, and sharpen it down to a point. pay him 1 gp. Cast Launch Bolt, using your 1 GP gargantuan++ bolt as the bolt. :smallwink:

Or, what is that feat called... Monkey Grip? Lets you wield a one handed sword one size larger, as a two hander? No, I have to be thinking of something else...

Remember, a level 1 fighter with 18 strength and the Pathfinder feat Catch Off Guard can wield an improvised weapon that weighs 300 lb at no penalty. :smallamused:

Hirax
2011-10-06, 10:24 PM
When things don't stack, they overlap, so you and the weapon would both be appropriately sized for whatever CL you cast giant size at. Though speaking of giant size, to get hulking anime muscles, the obviously solution is to polymorph into a sun giant for 37 strength, then cast giant size for the untyped +32 to strength. Huzzah 69 base strength!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-06, 10:32 PM
Ahh carp.... that does kill my idea.

But polyorphing and then casting Giant size for the STR boost won't make you look like this

http://img3.lln.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/1f722062d3dbf24b6760e9d4c487924a1246157090_full.jp g

Curious
2011-10-06, 11:13 PM
Ahh carp.... that does kill my idea.

But polyorphing and then casting Giant size for the STR boost won't make you look like this

http://img3.lln.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/1f722062d3dbf24b6760e9d4c487924a1246157090_full.jp g

I actually just came up with a basic build for this guy.

Warblade 7/ PF Barbarian 2/ Warblade X.

The Warblade levels are for Guts pre-eclipse (plus melee awesomeness, obviously), and the Barb levels for immediately prior to the eclipse. The Barb levels are from PF because they allow you to get the rage power Animals Fury, which nets you a bite attack, and uncanny dodge. I think it works pretty well, although I haven't gotten the feats quite worked out yet.

I'm also thinking of statting up the Berserkers Armor as an artifact which allows you to sustain rage indefinitely until all enemies everyone is dead, or you make a will save to end it.

Cespenar
2011-10-07, 12:11 AM
Easy. Stat up a generic gish (Abj. Champion, Spellsword, etc.) and fluff all arcane magic as ki power/fighting spirit/etc.

Telonius
2011-10-07, 12:33 AM
Easy. Stat up a generic gish (Abj. Champion, Spellsword, etc.) and fluff all arcane magic as ki power/fighting spirit/etc.

Bard-based would mean verbal components to all spells (shout out your technique!), plus general spooniness.

For more brooding anime, Warlock would serve pretty well. Eldritch Spear or Hideous Blow (yeah, it sucks, I know) could be decent. Tiefling or Lesser Tiefling works well here.

Igneel
2011-10-07, 12:51 AM

Found this in the Magic Item Compendium

SIZING
Price: +5,000 gp
Property: Weapon
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) transmutation
Activation: Swift (command)
This weapon features a series of decorative nubs on the hilt or haft.

Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire.

So take your weapon and make it meant to be carried by a Colossal sized creature. Interestingly enough, it doesn't mention if the weight changes...
Alternatively you can also hold the smallest weapon by making it meant to be carried by a Fine sized creatures. Easiest way to sneak a Bastard Sward into a castle is by disguising it as a tiny plastic cocktail sword.

This also works for Son Goku's [DB/DBZ/DBGT] Power Pole.

Crocodactyl
2011-10-07, 01:34 AM
For a big weapon, get Powerful Build or Strongarm Bracers, allowing you to wield a weapon one size larger than you. Then take the Epic feat Wield Oversized Weapons(From CW, requires Monkey Grip). It lets you treat all weapons as a size smaller and a category lighter, not stacking with Monkey Grip, as per the errata, but stacking with Powerful Build. Get a Gargantuan Fullblade(treated as a one handed huge weapon.) and hold it in two hands(You can wield a one handed weapon a size over what you normally wield for a -2 penalty even without feats or Powerful Build). The way I see it, the point isn't just to have a really big weapon, it's to have a weapon way bigger than you. A Medium Fullblade is probably six feet long, then double it three times for a sword 48 feet long. Bonus points if you're an Elf under five feet tall.

ranagrande
2011-10-07, 05:15 AM
Well, it's not a sword, but if you just want the fun of a ridiculously huge weapon, then I would suggest the following:

1. Play something Tiny, like a Grig or a Muckdweller.
2. Have a Major Titan Bloodline.
3. Get a Ring of Reduction.

Be a diminutive creature wielding a gargantuan warhammer.

Yora
2011-10-07, 05:51 AM
What are the hilarous fighting animes anyway? I've seen quite a few, but havn't seen anything rediculously over the top.

Except Advent Children, that one's just insane. :smallbiggrin:

But what else? Dragonball, I suppose, but I've seen only two scenes.

Cespenar
2011-10-07, 06:21 AM
What are the hilarous fighting animes anyway? I've seen quite a few, but havn't seen anything rediculously over the top.

One Piece had pretty over the top battles I think, but it all boils down to your established over-the-top-threshold.

Morph Bark
2011-10-07, 06:23 AM

The Titan Bloodline gives you the ability to specifically use a Gargantuan-sized warhammer.

Alternatively, use the spell Giant Size that Wu Jens get. Become Colossal.

Except Advent Children, that one's just insane. :smallbiggrin:

But what else? Dragonball, I suppose, but I've seen only two scenes.

Five words: Tengen. Toppa. Gurren. FRACKING. LAGANN.

Yora
2011-10-07, 07:19 AM
Yes, but that one is a parody. :smallamused:

Forgot about Bleach. That one is certainly over the top swordfighting that takes itself seriously.

Morph Bark
2011-10-07, 07:54 AM
Yes, but that one is a parody. :smallamused:

Forgot about Bleach. That one is certainly over the top swordfighting that takes itself seriously.

Parody or not, it's still a fighting anime. :smallwink:

With both Bleach and DBZ mentioned: YuYu Hakusho anyone?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-07, 08:37 AM
Buy Yu-yo Hakusho is more martial-artsy isn't it? I haven't seen much but the only weapon users I have seen are Kuwabara and Hiei and they have normal szed swords.

Fairy Tail is also pretty over the top and some characters have some ridiculous weapons and armour, particularly Erza Scarlat

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110723213858/fairytail/images/thumb/1/1a/Purgatory_Armor_3w993.jpg/507px-Purgatory_Armor_3w993.jpg

noparlpf
2011-10-07, 09:28 AM
Well, there was the time I took a Fullblade and pumped it up a few size categories. That was pretty anime-ish. Six-foot dude wielding a sword 30' long (that still only has 5' reach).
And there was my "samurai". Dual-wielding he had 11 or 13 attacks in a round.
Ooh, there was the Battle Sorcerer a friend made. He manifested a sword from thin air, and a lot of the spells he used had pretty anime-ish effects.

Next caster I play is totally going to be a magical girl, by the way. Even if that doesn't necessarily involve swords.

BlueInc
2011-10-07, 10:02 AM
I actually take it as a compliment if some calls ToB anime, no matter what they think. :smallamused: Rock Lee and Roronoa Zoro are the most awesome characters ever. :smallbiggrin:

Rock Lee and Zoro are both Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/warblade X.

I feel like Rock Lee would be an unarmed swordsage, like most of the Naruto cast. Zoro picked up some crazy third-party feat to count his mouth as a limb so he could take the Multiweapon fighting chain (not that he isn't amazingly awesome).

I feel like Mononoke and A****aka are both Rangers (possibly with a dip in Barbarian). Edit: Ashi taka. This guy (http://www.maiken2051.com/images/fullsize/A****aka%20and%20Yakkul.jpg). Lol.

The Pathfinder Gunslinger works pretty well for Desert Punk.

Light Yagami? Human Expert (maybe Truenamer) with a Major Artifact.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-07, 10:09 AM
I feel like Rock Lee would be an unarmed swordsage, like most of the Naruto cast. Zoro picked up some crazy third-party feat to count his mouth as a limb so he could take the Multiweapon fighting chain (not that he isn't amazingly awesome).

I feel like Mononoke and A****aka are both Rangers (possibly with a dip in Barbarian). Edit: Ashi taka. This guy (http://www.maiken2051.com/images/fullsize/A****aka%20and%20Yakkul.jpg). Lol.

The Pathfinder Gunslinger works pretty well for Desert Punk.

Light Yagami? Human Expert (maybe Truenamer) with a Major Artifact.

Rock Lee
Rock Lee – Human Monk 6/Fist of Zuoken 8/Lucid Cenobyte (Hyperconscious) 3/Drunken Master (Complete Warrior) 3

Feats: Wild Talent (1), Improved Unarmed Strike (Monk1), Stunning Fist (Monk1), Dodge (Human), Combat Reflexes (Monk2), Great Fortitude (3), Improved Disarm (Monk6), Speed of Thought (6), Mental Leap (9), Up the Walls (Fist of Zuoken5), Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) (12), Improved Critical (Unarmed Strike) (15), Psionic Fist (18)

Powers:
1st – Biofeedback, Adrenaline Boost*, Metaphysical Weapon, Vigor
2nd – Animal Affinity, Psionic Lion’s Charge, Hustle, Body Adjustment
3rd – Danger Sense 5th – Psychofeedback

* - Power Found in Complete Psionic

Lee's Signature Abilities: Not much to say here, he looks goofy, he tries hard, and he hits like a mac truck. With the student ability of the Lucid Cenobyte Lee’s speed, armor class, and unarmed damage are that of a level 21 monk, and his flurry of blows and ki strike are that of a 13th level monk. Lee’s powers are specifically chosen to enhance his combat ability without showing visible supernatural effect, as Lee is incapable of Ninjutsu. Lee’s most devastating attacks, the kinjutsu Omote Renge and Ura Renge are represented by Animal Affinity and Psychofeedback. Also, he has three drunken master levels to cover his natural talent in the art of the drunken fist.

Zoro:
Cleric (Hunger* and War Domain) 1/Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger 2**/Warblade X (heavy focus on Tiger Claw and Iron Heart)

* Hunger Domain gives you a bite attack which in turn allows us to use a mouthpick (LoM) Weapon

Psionic Naruto Builds (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6002)

Larpus
2011-10-07, 10:22 AM
If it's Pathfinder, from the top of my head we can easily have:

1. Magus, fits the mage swordsman shoes pretty darn well.

2. Titan Mauler Barbarian, fits the bruiser with absurdly big weapon pretty darn well.

3. A combination of both can get you something that looks like Ichigo I guess.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-07, 10:26 AM
I feel like Rock Lee would be an unarmed swordsage, like most of the Naruto cast.

Uh...

Illusions.
Transformations.
Summonings.
Fireballs.

Doesn't really sound like unarmed swordsages.

Curious
2011-10-07, 10:30 AM
Uh...

Illusions.
Transformations.
Summonings.
Fireballs.

Doesn't really sound like unarmed swordsages.

Arcane Swordsages now. . . :smallamused:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-07, 10:33 AM
Depends on the power level and the point in the series you are talking about, fresh genins might be modelled with Unarmed Swordsages

Sasuke pre-sharingan is actually quite easy to do.

Good unarmed ability
Fast (quick to act)
Fireballs (Desert wind maneuvers)
Kawamiri: umm readied action Shadow jaunt?

noparlpf
2011-10-07, 10:57 AM

Just wondering: ****tim-wood, ****tah-tree.

Edit: Hm. So it blocks out that combination of letters in any word that contains it.

zimmerwald1915
2011-10-07, 12:06 PM
Your link's broken. Must be those asterisks in the middle.

Elfinor
2011-10-07, 01:45 PM
The Jade Phoenix Mage from ToB would make an excellent anime swordsman. He has a good BAB (good sword skills), maneuver progression in Desert Wind and Diamond Mind (not necessarily the most animesque disciplines, but they've still got... groove? Rest assured I will sleep after posting this) and spellcasting to represent the illusion/transmutation/evocation/telepo crazy magic that a lot of anime characters do. Combining it with a Havoc Mage (MH) would allow you to attack and cast a spell in the same round, which anime characters often seem to be able to do. I'm thinking Full Metal Alchemist type at the moment, so channel spell just doesn't seem to have the same flavour. Not hugely optimized but it works :smallamused:

For a less flashy option, build involving a (Martial Class) X/Monk1-6/Shou Disciple 5(Una) would grant flurry of blows with melee weapons (Shou Disciple advances FoB, so a dip to 6 for greater flurry is more viable) and, as everyone has been saying, Warblades and Swordsages fit well - depending on (again) flashiness level. Giant Sword ideas sound awesome.

For a big weapon, get Powerful Build or Strongarm Bracers, allowing you to wield a weapon one size larger than you. Then take the Epic feat Wield Oversized Weapons(From CW, requires Monkey Grip). It lets you treat all weapons as a size smaller and a category lighter, not stacking with Monkey Grip, as per the errata, but stacking with Powerful Build. Get a Gargantuan Fullblade(treated as a one handed huge weapon.) and hold it in two hands(You can wield a one handed weapon a size over what you normally wield for a -2 penalty even without feats or Powerful Build). The way I see it, the point isn't just to have a really big weapon, it's to have a weapon way bigger than you. A Medium Fullblade is probably six feet long, then double it three times for a sword 48 feet long. Bonus points if you're an Elf under five feet tall.
I will find a way to use this :smallbiggrin:

BlueInc
2011-10-07, 01:51 PM
Your link's broken. Must be those asterisks in the middle.

-_-

"What exactly are you here for?"
"To see with eyes unclouded by asterisks."

MikolasTheAngry
2011-10-07, 03:09 PM
Zoro's using a Mouthpick weapon. I think that's what it is, right?

Lets you wield a weapon in your mouth (though maybe only if you have a bite attack).

He just has a lenient DM.

Edit: I apparently can't read. :smallfrown:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-07, 03:22 PM
Zoro:Cleric (Hunger* and War Domain) 1/Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger 2**/Warblade X (heavy focus on Tiger Claw and Iron Heart)

:cough: :cough: You were saying :smallwink:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-07, 03:24 PM
Zoro's using a Mouthpick weapon. I think that's what it is, right?

Lets you wield a weapon in your mouth (though maybe only if you have a bite attack).

He just has a lenient DM.

He gets a bite attack from being 1/16th fishman (shark). He also has a huge reach from being 1/16th giant, and took the Short flaw and a feat that makes him 7' tall. He also has the flaws Extreme Boredom, Extreme Loyalty, and No Sense of Direction. I wouldn't put it past him if he lost his eye during the time skip just so he could get a bonus feat.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-07, 03:29 PM
He gets a bite attack from being 1/16th fishman (shark). He also has a huge reach from being 1/16th giant, and took the Short flaw and a feat that makes him 7' tall. He also has the flaws Extreme Boredom, Extreme Loyalty, and No Sense of Direction. I wouldn't put it past him if he lost his eye during the time skip just so he could get a bonus feat.
}
Do you happen to have a link to that webcomic? I forgot the URL, name and I really want to catch up.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-07, 03:33 PM
}
Do you happen to have a link to that webcomic? I forgot the URL, name and I really want to catch up.

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193749)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-07, 03:39 PM
Thank you very much, though I feel a bit dumb... I should have checked here...

hex0
2011-10-07, 08:46 PM
Aww, I was hoping that was going to that thread about how Warlocks are so anime.

This isn't anime. :smallwink:

http://theslorg.com/theslorgsworld/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Skeletor.jpg

A friend of mine played a Guts inspired character, mostly just focusing on Fullblade. (no repeating crossbow and cannon arm) :smallbiggrin: It worked well and he really was its own character.

NNescio
2011-10-07, 08:58 PM
This isn't anime. :smallwink:

http://theslorg.com/theslorgsworld/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Skeletor.jpg

Well, there's the ill-fated 'reboot'...

http://ompldr.org/vYXBocw/blog_yellow_nose_02.jpg

The OP is pretty damning. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIyIWrubxU)

And IIRC, some EPs had sweatdrops and facefaults in them.