PDA

View Full Version : Another Superman thread...3.5

AzazelSephiroth
2011-10-06, 08:51 PM
Hey Everyone! I know that the concept of 3.5 characters as superheros has been tossed around many times. And I know that they tend to incite...`discussions`:smallwink:

But I would like to avoid any arguments... unless they can be civil, and ask for help with a build.

To be bluntly honest I want to play Superman in a 3.5 game... now I know that Superman is ridiculously powerful and probably cannot be balanced... but what I am looking for is the spirit of the character and his more iconic abilities in a character that is playable and useful in a standard D&D setting.

So requirements: a build based on reaching most/all of the abilities by level 10ish but feel free to stat up to 20 as the character will probably be played well into high levels. Unarmed brawler for combat. Fast but does not need to be `superspeed`. Flight-this one is a must have with good or perfect manuverabilty if possible. Laser eye beams and cold breath. Finally invulnerability... or as close as we can approximate. Restirctions... as few classes as possible to make the fluffing and roleplay easier and no homebrews allowed by my DM... although Pathfinder is available.

Now I apologize if this has been done before I have seen a myriad of superhero comparison threads but I have yet to see one with an actual superman build... if someone has a link please feel free to post!:smallsmile:

Thank you guys so much for your help and I know if anyone can do it the amazing people of these forums can!:smallbiggrin:

skycycle blues
2011-10-06, 09:36 PM
Unarmed brawler for combat.
Improved Unarmed Strike and then Superior Unarmed Strike, possibly also taking levels of Fist Of The Forest, although that class doesn't really fit the build unless it, and it's abilities get refluffed

Fast but does not need to be `superspeed`.
Travel Devotion?

Flight-this one is a must have with good or perfect manuverabilty if possible.
Raptoran gets free flight at level 5, but I'm not sure about its maneuverability.

Laser eye beams and cold breath.
Dragon Born of Bahamut, if you choose the Heart aspect, grants a breath weapon that can deal any energy type, so you could refluff when you use it for fire to be laser eyes.

Also, Dragon Born of Bahamut on a Raptoran seems to let you keep the wings as far as I can tell.

Finally invulnerability... or as close as we can approximate.
Pump the hell out of you Con score. Dragon Born of Bahamut helps with this.

astrallite
2011-10-06, 09:39 PM
I would start off with the Neutronium Golem as a good template for Superman :P

-Damage Reduction enough to stop planet busting nuke: DR 250,000/- ?

-Strength enough to lift 200,000,000,000,000,000 tons with 1 arm: at least 310 Strength. Your base damage modifier will be +150!

Then there's sun dipping for a 1000x strength boost.

:D

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-06, 09:47 PM

It's DR/magic. Captain Marvel or whoever it is can punch him just fine. The main part is he's in a world where DR/magic matters.

Chess435
2011-10-06, 10:19 PM

:D

You're doing it wrong. The DR is supposed to be OVER 9000!!!!/whatever

:smallbiggrin:

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-06, 11:16 PM
Honestly, your best bet is probably Warlock, weird as that sounds. Eldrich blast=heat vision, Fell Flight invocation gives you flight with good maneuverability, and Hideous Blow can help you get your melee damage up. At higher levels, you can use Eldrich Cone and Helrime Blast for arctic breath. See if you can use some material from the Book of Exalted Deeds- I'm not too familiar with it, but there must be something, and the morality certainly works for Superman.

RaggedAngel
2011-10-06, 11:48 PM
So requirements: a build based on reaching most/all of the abilities by level 10ish but feel free to stat up to 20 as the character will probably be played well into high levels. Unarmed brawler for combat. Fast but does not need to be `superspeed`. Flight-this one is a must have with good or perfect manuverabilty if possible. Laser eye beams and cold breath. Finally invulnerability... or as close as we can approximate. Restirctions... as few classes as possible to make the fluffing and roleplay easier and no homebrews allowed by my DM... although Pathfinder is available.

How much are you allowed to refluff? Because a Warlock will give you a little of everything you want, minus the sheer power Superman has. To represent that you need to throw on a bunch of templates, like Saint from the Book of Exalted Deeds, possibly Dragonborn, and possibly Mineral Warrior.

AzazelSephiroth
2011-10-06, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! And keep them coming guys and gals!

@Grod_The_Giant do you happen to have an example build? I have never played a Warlock before, but it sounds like a good option.

@astrallite what is a Neutronium Golem and how do I get/become one?:smallbiggrin:

@skycycle blues Thank you for the ideas I took a glance at Raptorian Dragon born but I was hoping for something that was a little more `humanesque` I am afraid I didnt see any way out of looking like a half dragon-half raptor person.

Essence_of_War
2011-10-06, 11:51 PM
I like the Ardent for stuff like this.

Use the custom mantle ACF to sculpt a mantle or 2 or 3 that are each thematically appropriate for Superman's abilities. Some obvious abilities to duplicate include:
Heat Vision = Energy Ray
Cold Breath = Energy Cone
Flight = Overland Flight
Going Really Fast = Hustle
Punching Through Ridiculous Barriers = re-fluffed disintegrate :smallamused:
Supersenses = Touchsight
Nigh invulnerability = some combination of Inertial Armor, Shield, Vigor and Inertial Barrier. Mix with Energy Adaptation to taste?

Then do something like:
Ardent 4/FullBaBClass1 (I like Warblade)/Sanctified Mind 1/Psychokinetic Champion (Abjurant Champion Adaptation)5/Sanctified Mind 2-6/Ardent 5-8

Edit: Grod_the_Giant's suggestion is pretty good too! Warlocks can be a little fragile, although there is a pretty good guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708) to getting the 'oomph' to replicate superman on a melee based warlock.

Zaq
2011-10-07, 12:10 AM
@skycycle blues Thank you for the ideas I took a glance at Raptorian Dragon born but I was hoping for something that was a little more `humanesque` I am afraid I didnt see any way out of looking like a half dragon-half raptor person.

The Hat of Disguise explicitly changes to match whatever appearance you give yourself. Make it look like Clark Kent glasses. Done. Thematic AND useful!

AzazelSephiroth
2011-10-07, 01:47 AM
The Hat of Disguise explicitly changes to match whatever appearance you give yourself. Make it look like Clark Kent glasses. Done. Thematic AND useful!

You sir have made my day! Cookie for you! :smallbiggrin:

Dictum Mortuum
2011-10-07, 05:50 AM
How come no one mentioned monk 1/sorcerer 4/enlightened fist 10/abjurant champion 5 yet :P?

Eldan
2011-10-07, 07:10 AM
Can a warlock get into Englightened Fist? I forgot.

Anyway, you could try Vow of Poverty on a Warlock and put your stat bonus from that into strength and constitution, primarily.

Unseenmal
2011-10-07, 08:24 AM
I have this shortcut to a thread that might help: Thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872510/Hmm,_kind_of_a_humourous_challenge._:P?post_id=338 459114#338459114) That guy, Senevri, gives a link to his build and some other info. I thought it was pretty good. Give that a gander and see if it helps.