PDA

View Full Version : Lhazaar Deeptide (3.5 Monster, PEACH)

Ursus the Grim
2011-10-06, 10:43 PM
FuryOfMetal, Circle of Life, Sallera, Rossebay, and GuyFawkes would do me a favor by leaving now. Edit: Keld Denar, you too!

Lhazaar Deeptide
Medium Elemental (Water)
Hit Dice: 20d8+160 (190 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); Swim 80 feet
Initiative: +10
Armor Class 25 (+6 dex, +9 natural); touch 16; flat-footed 19
Base Attack Bonus +15; Grapple +16
Attack Slam +21 (1d4+2 and 2d4 Str)
Full-Attack 2 Slams +21 (1d4+2 and 2d4 Str)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Breath Weapon, Strength Damage, Rogue Wave
Special Qualities Immune to Cold, Regeneration 5, Resist Fire and Acid 10, Part of the Sea
Saves Fort +20 Ref +12 Will +13
Abilities Str 15, Dex 22, Con 27, Int 10, Wis 21, Cha 16
Skills Escape Artist +15, Gather Information +8, Knowledge (Nature) +5, Listen +8, Search +5, Spot +8, Swim +15, Use Magic Device +8
Feats Ability Focus (Breath Weapon), Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse (Slam)
Environment Any Aquatic
Organization Solitary, Expedition (2-4)
Challenge Rating 13
Treasure Double Gold and Gems
Alignment Chaotic Neutral
Advancement 21-40 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment -

She turns to you, a vague female form composed of deep blue-greens that remind you of the stillest surface of the deepest water. The light reflecting from your torches serve only to illuminate the simple, yet ascetic shape of her appearance. A pair of lights, the color of seafoam, peer at you from her face, intelligent and curious.

The deep sea holds many secrets. To the deep sea, though, the surface is the mystery. Occasionally, the secrets of the deep come to investigate the mystery of the surface. Most see nothing but the open ocean and the monotonous sky, and, their curiosity satisfied, return to the deeps. Some, however, find reason to remain above. These are the Lhazaar Deeptides, named after the Principalities where the first sighting was confirmed.

A Lhazaar Deeptide normally manifests itself into the general shape of the first air-breather it sets eyes on, which, more often than not, is a humanoid of some sort. They are generally unafraid of what they find on the surface, and often strike deals that allow them to see and experience more of the world above. They do not seek conflict, but their curiosity often leads them into it. Their speed and agility helps them to escape, but when necessary they can leech the strength from an enemy to incapacitate them.

Lhazaar Deeptides are generally somewhat perceptive, and have a knack for understanding how the natural world of the surface works, perhaps because it is fundamentally similar to the world of the ocean. They also have an innate ability to tinker with and operate magical devices that stymie many. Certain studies have shown that Lhazaar Deeptides are even more effective at powering ships than their kindred. Lhazaar Deeptides speak Aquan and the language that they have been exposed to longest.

Combat
A Lhazaar Deeptide generally avoids combat. If forced to fight, it relies on its resilience and speed to gradually wear down aggressors. A Lhazaar Deeptide will use hit and run tactics to sap a target of its strength before moving onto the next. If its foes cluster together, it uses its breath weapon as a lethal deterrent. Once a Lhazaar Deeptide has incapacitated its foes, it does not normally kill them, unless it has been angered to an extreme.

Breath Weapon (Su): As a standard action, a Lhazaar Deeptide may produce a cone of frigid water 30 feet long, dealing 7d6 cold damage. This damage may be halved with a successful Reflex save against DC 30. After using its Breath Weapon, a Lhazaar Deeptide must wait 1d4 rounds before it may use it again. The DC is Constitution-based.

Regeneration (Ex): While partially or completely submerged in salt water of any source, a Lhazaar Deeptide receives regeneration 5. Electricity is required to deal lethal damage to a Lhazaar Deeptide when in such an environment.

Strength Damage (Ex): The bone-chilling touch of a Lhazaar Deeptide deals 2d4 points of Strength damage to a living foe. A creature reduced to Strength 0 is rendered immobile and helpless until its Strength is raised above 0.

Rogue Wave (Su): As a standard action, an enraged Lhazaar Deeptide can summon a giant wave to smash into a vessel. It has a 95% chance to capsize a vessel less than 30 feet long, a 50% chance to capsize a vessel from 30 to 90 feet long, and a 20% chance to capsize one longer than 90 feet. The Lhazaar Deeptide may attempt this once every d4 rounds.

Part of the Sea (Su): A Lhazaar Deeptide is considered to have total concealment when under water, as the difference between it and mundane water are imperceptible to most creatures reliant on sight.

Skills:
Lhazaar Deeptide have a +4 racial bonus to Escape Artist.

Ursus the Grim
2011-10-06, 11:09 PM
Okay, finished the post. I know its kinda wierd, (No spell resistance at 13th level? Wut?) but I think its resilient enough to take a beating. But that's just a thought. Its fairly simple, but that was my point. Still, I think Strength Damage, Regeneration, and Breath Weapon are pretty solid abilities. But I'm not certain. Used Vorpal Tribble's CR calculator, but that requires several judgement calls. Hence the request for PEACHing.

Debihuman
2011-10-06, 11:51 PM
Shouldn't the breath weapon be constitution based (you have it as fortitude based).

slam damage needs xd4. I'd assume it is 1d4; it should not be written as d4.

I would have expected a few more "neried" traits as per the nereid in Stormwrack.

The name sounds a bit silly.

Debby

jiriku
2011-10-07, 05:28 AM
AC, attack bonus, and saves are all a touch low for a CR 13 monster. Combined with the lack of tactical options, I'd probably peg this at CR 12, or CR 11 if fought on dry land.

To hit CR 13, you might consider adding one or more of the following:

Cha to AC
Cha to saves
concealment while submerged in water
3/day -- summon nature's ally V (aquatic creatures only) as an SLA
3/day -- blackwater tentacle as an SLA
1/day -- extract water elemental or waterspout as an SLA

At that CR, a monster needs to have either very impressive personal defenses or some form of summoning or battlefield control to draw fire, or it will simply die in round 1 or round 2. It also needs to be able to inflict harm from a distance somehow, in case it gets outmaneuvered or boxed in.

Looking beyond combat, some nautical SLAs that support its ethos might be interesting. I'm thinking about spells like favorable wind, flowsight, and submerge ship.

Ursus the Grim
2011-10-07, 06:56 AM
Shouldn't the breath weapon be constitution based (you have it as fortitude based).

slam damage needs xd4. I'd assume it is 1d4; it should not be written as d4.

I would have expected a few more "neried" traits as per the nereid in Stormwrack.

The name sounds a bit silly.

Debby

Nice catch on the first two. Admittedly, I didn't use stormwrack in this, and strictly speaking, the name is a misnomer. I may rename it shortly. Its not even really fey.

AC, attack bonus, and saves are all a touch low for a CR 13 monster. Combined with the lack of tactical options, I'd probably peg this at CR 12, or CR 11 if fought on dry land.

To hit CR 13, you might consider adding one or more of the following:

Cha to AC
Cha to saves
concealment while submerged in water
3/day -- summon nature's ally V (aquatic creatures only) as an SLA
3/day -- blackwater tentacle as an SLA
1/day -- extract water elemental or waterspout as an SLA

At that CR, a monster needs to have either very impressive personal defenses or some form of summoning or battlefield control to draw fire, or it will simply die in round 1 or round 2. It also needs to be able to inflict harm from a distance somehow, in case it gets outmaneuvered or boxed in.

Looking beyond combat, some nautical SLAs that support its ethos might be interesting. I'm thinking about spells like favorable wind, flowsight, and submerge ship.

These are really helpful suggestions, and I'm frankly a bit surprised I wasn't further off with the CR. I may go with a few of those, particularly the simple stat boosters and maybe one or two of the SLAs. I hesitate to use non-core material in my homebrews unless absolutely necessary. I don't want people to have to have half a dozen sourcebooks to use it. So I may avoid things like Waterspout and Submerge Ship. I'm sure I can come up with thematic equivalents, or toss in Special Qualities to replicate it.

Ursus the Grim
2011-11-02, 10:17 PM
Okay. I added to the ability scores, implemented concealment in water and a simple capsize mechanic.

Net increases
+2 to AC, attack bonus, Reflex saves, Escape Artist checks.
+3 to Breath Weapon DC, Fortitude Saves
+2 to Will Save
+60 hit points.

Debihuman
2011-11-03, 09:57 AM
A Lhazaar Deeptide normally manifests itself into the general shape of the first air-breather it sets eyes on, which, more often than not, is a humanoid of some sort.

This suggests that they should have the Shapechanger Subtype and a Change Shape Ability. What is their natural form? Note: this might also suggest a better name for them.

Keep the name Deeptide (it is rather evocative). However, Lhazaar seems like it should be pronounced like "Lazer" and that is off-putting.

Debby

Ursus the Grim
2011-11-03, 01:37 PM
This suggests that they should have the Shapechanger Subtype and a Change Shape Ability. What is their natural form? Note: this might also suggest a better name for them.

Keep the name Deeptide (it is rather evocative). However, Lhazaar seems like it should be pronounced like "Lazer" and that is off-putting.

Debby

That bit is pretty much fluff, an explanation of why they appear the way they do. A Deeptide that hasn't seen a human wouldn't look human. Once their shape is decided, they do not change it. Before coming to the surface, they look about the same as any other water elemental.

Lhazaar is a campaign-specific reference, to the region of Eberron in which they are found. Like Karnnathi undead. I assumed the "Nereid" bit was the satisfactory part of the name.