PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to train your pet Werewolf ?

Grommen
2011-10-07, 02:06 AM
So long story short, after passing by one of the Twilight movies on TV, I discovered that I wished to have a pet Werewolf. Was more of a passing joke, as the movies are not quite to my liking, but the Werewolf back story was good and they look great in the film. Why Vampires sparkle I'll never get though. Anyway. I liked the on screen animation of the wolves, and the fact that they are really big. Leading to my statement, "I want a pet Werewolf". Compleatly forgetting that most of the time it was a person. Even then I still thought the idea was fun to play with.

So I'm DM'ing a game, and as a side track to the main plot I was introducing a werewolf anyway, being that it's October and not that far from Halloween. Ya know good time to break out that good old Gothic, were totally boned horror thing.

I intended on getting one of the NPC's bitten and afflicted. Giving the party a reason to tramp into the woods to go find a cure. Much to my bewilderment; when the party was woke up in the middle of the night to a screaming women (hay what else does a Werewolf chase?). The Ranger in the party jumps the gun, runs off into the night. Then in a moment to total VanHelsing badass attacks the Werewolf. Knowing not what the creature is, he manages to get bitten on the neck, and promptly rolls a "1" on ye old fort save! :smallbiggrin:

Mind you the player (a good friend of mine and a role player for 20+ years) is totally down with it, as long as he has a chance to control his wolfing out. Meaning that he does not wish to have the character eat the party one night wile they rest. Would be kinda suck if you ask me.

According to PF rules an afflicted Were creature is kinda boned (IE have no control over it), but one born this way can change on it's own, and will not go nutz during the full moon and ya know...Rampage....

What I'm looking for is a way to get from Afflicted to Natural born without just handwaveing it away. Were playing in Golarion and not far away from Unslav (the home of gothic horror). So what were thinking, once we find out that our ranger is a Were Creature (That will be a fun night :smalltongue:), were gonna pack him up to Unslav and attempt to find a simpathic clan of Werewolves who might be able to help.

Short of a wish spell (not really a thing I would normally allow with 4th level characters), what else can you think of that would change an Afflicted Lycan to a Natural born one, or some other way of controlling his affliction? I don't think rules wise their is a way. Perhaps a spell, a magic item, that allows him another save. Were thinking that eventually when changed he might retain some of his intelligence and ah...Ya know, not eat the other players.

Ideas welcomed; magic items, feats, etc. I'll dig though my Ravenloft stuff in the near future as well. Also if anyone has fluff ideas as to the ordeal that the player might have to undertake would be kool too.

Hay at least I got my Pet Werewolf.:smallcool:

Larpus
2011-10-07, 09:50 AM
As you said yourself, by RAW there is no way.

However, there are plenty of interesting ways to get to it.

Maybe they learn about this one were-guy who was an afflicted but managed to control his transformation (hell, maybe there's a full tribe of them). Other types of characters can fit this role, such as wildshapers or even polymorpher Wizards.

You can give the group a son goku's headband-like item: every time the wereRanger tries to attack someone who is not initially perceived as an enemy, the item causes him pain (the original was by shrinking, ouch!), to the point that he's unable to attack. Over time this can lead to his transformation being somewhat controlled and being just a more vicious and brutal version of the actual character.

I'm new to the Golarion pantheon, but there must be an animals/beasts god there somewhere, maybe the god himself or an avatar or Cleric or something can give him some help, possibly handwaving the afflicted vs natural issue away 'cus he's a bro.

And lastly, if someone else in the party has Handle Animal or something, just suggest them to restrain the wereRanger with chains every night they think he might change and use handle animal to train him to an animal companion-like situation.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 11:28 AM
As you said yourself, by RAW there is no way.

However, there are plenty of interesting ways to get to it.

Maybe they learn about this one were-guy who was an afflicted but managed to control his transformation (hell, maybe there's a full tribe of them). Other types of characters can fit this role, such as wildshapers or even polymorpher Wizards.

You can give the group a Broly's headband-like item: every time the wereRanger tries to attack someone who is not initially perceived as an enemy, the item causes him pain (the original was by shrinking, ouch!), to the point that he's unable to attack. Over time this can lead to his transformation being somewhat controlled and being just a more vicious and brutal version of the actual character.

I'm new to the Golarion pantheon, but there must be an animals/beasts god there somewhere, maybe the god himself or an avatar or Cleric or something can give him some help, possibly handwaving the afflicted vs natural issue away 'cus he's a bro.

And lastly, if someone else in the party has Handle Animal or something, just suggest them to restrain the wereRanger with chains every night they think he might change and use handle animal to train him to an animal companion-like situation.

Fixed it for you

Larpus
2011-10-07, 12:36 PM
Fixed it for you
Broly had one of these?

Never watched any of the DBZ movies, but anyway, I was referring to the original goku, from the Journey to the West legend.

Prime32
2011-10-07, 01:03 PM
Short of a wish spell (not really a thing I would normally allow with 4th level characters), what else can you think of that would change an Afflicted Lycan to a Natural born one, or some other way of controlling his affliction? I don't think rules wise their is a way. Perhaps a spell, a magic item, that allows him another save. Were thinking that eventually when changed he might retain some of his intelligence and ah...Ya know, not eat the other players.There's one way, but you need to worship the demon lord Jezelda and be either lv16, or lv13 with 6 levels in a PrC. And to keep the benefits you need to be chaotic evil and kill a member of your own race every night of the new moon, so there's not many parties it would work in.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/demonic-obedience
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/demoniac