PDA

View Full Version : [PF] A questionable Feat

TomBaker
2011-10-07, 05:56 AM
Hey all, I have a question that is perplexing me currently. Rolling a character for a 2nd level dungeon crawl, genned a ninja but now must decide on feat choice, and having Dex 17, have narrowed it to three choices:
1. Dodge, 2. TWF or 3. Weapon finesse. I have not selected weapons either so input on that is also appreciated. Thank ye all in advance.

CTrees
2011-10-07, 06:05 AM
If I was stuck choosing between those three for a ninja, I'd go with Weapon Finesse (especially starting at low levels). Dodge isn't worth it. TWF makes some sense, stylistically, for a ninja, but also generally is not worth the associated penalties and costs.

GoatBoy
2011-10-07, 06:54 AM
Dodge is a pre-req for some useful feats, but if this is just a 2nd-level dungeon crawl, then you won't be playing long enough to reach any of them.

TWF is nice for granting more sneak attacks, but will penalize an already hurting attack bonus.

Weapon Finesse is really the only valid choice. Isn't there a ninja trick which lets you take it, though? Or did you already have a specific trick that you wanted to use?

TomBaker
2011-10-07, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I've gone with Vanishing trick, to remind myself of the good old 3.5 ninja times :P

Larpus
2011-10-07, 08:40 AM
Can't you get Extra Ninja Trick or something? I know there is one for Rogue Tricks.

EDIT: I feel dumb, right, your first-level feat, you don't have Rogue/Ninja Trick yet, so you technically don't qualify yet.

Anyway, depends on your Str, if it's 15-, I'd go with Finesse, at low levels you might end up having the Monk problem of being able to miss many times in a round, also, never forget that now you can hold any weapon with two hands for 1.5 Str bonus and all that.

Otherwise, TWF I guess, but I don't know you, I always get mad when I miss 2 attacks with TWF when one of them (especially the first) would've hit if I were normal fighting.

Doug Lampert
2011-10-07, 09:53 AM
Dodge is a pre-req for some useful feats, but if this is just a 2nd-level dungeon crawl, then you won't be playing long enough to reach any of them.

TWF is nice for granting more sneak attacks, but will penalize an already hurting attack bonus.

Weapon Finesse is really the only valid choice. Isn't there a ninja trick which lets you take it, though? Or did you already have a specific trick that you wanted to use?

Is Ninja a full BAB class? Because you can't take Weapon Finesse at 1 unless it is.

Edited: Oh. PF thread. Did they eliminate that silly prereq?

GoatBoy
2011-10-07, 10:01 AM
Is Ninja a full BAB class? Because you can't take Weapon Finesse at 1 unless it is.

Edited: Oh. PF thread. Did they eliminate that silly prereq?

They sure did. Even if they didn't, rogues and ninjas can get WF as a talent/trick, skirting the prereqs.

CTrees
2011-10-07, 10:01 AM
They sure did!

EDIT: Ninja'd in a ninja thread!

BlueInc
2011-10-07, 10:05 AM
TWF isn't bad for a PF Ninja, as long as you stick with it; you get sneak attack as a Rogue, so more attacks = more chances to get a bunch of d6s.

Edit: Though Weapon Finesse is an excellent feat, too.

B!shop
2011-10-07, 10:09 AM
Both TWF and Finesse are decent feats, the main difference is more attacks vs. higher attack bonus.

TomBaker
2011-10-07, 11:19 AM
Hmmm, I am leaning towards weapon finesse forst feat, then next level picking up TWF, so switching from the Kusarigama to dual Wakazishi. It'll be interesting seeing how effective it is compared to the straight up rogue and magus already in the party, and no clue what the fourth wheel is playing.

Vladislav
2011-10-07, 11:22 AM
If I may ask, what is your STR? Because if it's, let's say, 14, Weapon Finesse won't do much, but if it's 10, on the other hand....

TomBaker
2011-10-07, 11:34 AM
Str is 12, Dex 17, Con is 11, Int 15, Wis 12 and Cha 14. If anyone can suggest other PF feats that might help, I am all ears.....well not literally as that would be freaky as anything.

Larpus
2011-10-07, 12:34 PM
Agile Maneuvers is weapon finesse for CMB, so it's easier for you to trip/disarm/etc people.

That's all I remember right now, but I'm sure there's more, many more.