PDA

View Full Version : Planes of Eberron

Kol Korran
2011-10-07, 07:48 AM
still working on possible future campaigns for my group. one ofthem involves heavy plane hopping to the Eberron planes. however...

i have almost never ran adventures on other planes. sure, i read the chapter in the DMG, and the short descriptions in the ECS, but... is there any other source of information about them? anything at all? is there a "book of the planes" for Eberron which i don't know of?

thanks in Advance,
Kol.

(search word: Tomer)

Unseenmal
2011-10-07, 07:55 AM
Best I found so far...Try this (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Planes_of_Eberron)

Edit: or does manual of the planes have more info? I'm not in front of my book right now so I can't be sure

GoatBoy
2011-10-07, 07:59 AM
In Eberron, I think the planes are little more than "the place where outsiders come from." If you insist in having the players explore them, then you can just follow the analogous planes they give in the ECS (Daanvi is to Arcadia, Dolurrh is to Hades, Xoriat is to the Far Realm, etc) but Eberron is not designed as a plane-hopping campaign, and so there is very little support for it as such. The closest is a section in the Player's Guide to Eberron, and some of the themes of the Greensingers druidic sect (the Planar Shepard PrC in Faiths of Eberron.)

Yora
2011-10-07, 08:03 AM
I think one question should be: Why?

As I see it, the planes in Eberron are not meant to be visited by player characters and all the settings groups and villains don't make it neccessary to do so.
So why go there in the first place?

Bloodgruve
2011-10-07, 08:38 AM
They did something different with the planes in Eberron. Seeing that the planes shift in and out over long cycles gives me the feeling that they almost want you to pick a couple planes and have them strongly influence the current campaign time and conversely a couple planes will have very little influence. Xoriat had been cut off in the current time line (fun campaign arc here). There are areas on Eberron where certain planes are always coterminous no matter where the plane is in the cycle. You could use these 'hot spots' to explore planar influences without actually traveling there.

IIRC
Blood~

Kol Korran
2011-10-07, 08:40 AM
@ Yora:why? well, because the imagination and campaign ideas can draw from the Eberron themes and sources, but are not limited to them?

i have an idea for an epic level campaign that may require the party to do a sort of McGuffin's race to search the planes (against various oppsing factions, such as Lordsof Dust, Daelkyr, Daughters of Sora Kell, and even An ambitious dragon marked heir). the reason why it's in the planes i tied tightly to their goal. i won't go into that now.

however, the questions is not Why? (since DMs can always find an answer for that, given enough imagination), but can it be done in a fun and interesting way? which is the reason for this thread. i'm looking for possible sources of information.

@ Bloodgruve: i am aware of the material in the ECS, and most Eberron books. i'm wondering if there is something i missed, something about the planes THEMSELVES, as the info given is very poor.

Bloodgruve
2011-10-07, 09:30 AM
The only extra info that I have picked up, and I haven't researched this too much, is the info about Dal Quor imbedded in the Kalashtar/Inspired/Path of Light content. And even that is minimal. I'm away from my books right now but IIRC most of the planes are at least modeled after the standard 3.5 planes with just different mechanics as to 'where' they are and how to access them. I'd work with Manual of the Planes/Planar Handbook and support content.

GL
Blood~

Teron
2011-10-07, 11:30 AM
Keith Baker's novel The Gates of Night is set almost entirely in Thelanis and Dal Quor.

Hague
2011-10-07, 12:41 PM
You're left with a fundamentally blank canvas with which to work. Basically all the worlds are natural-looking in that they appear to be normal worlds where their natural element has taken over. For instance, Fernia is not just the Elemental Plane of Fire but rather a blasted plane of ashes much like a combination of Gehenna and the Plane of Fire. Mostly because it's evil aligned and fire aligned but the planes of elemental nature (Risia and Fernia) aren't just places filled with that element but a world of their own much like Eberron but with the traits overblown. No plants save those immune to fire (there'll have to be some, dontcha know?) a definable ecology based around fire, etc. The same applies to other planes. For instance, Mabar might look exactly like Irian but one is full of death and the other bright and vibrant.