PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mind Controlling NPC Suggestions?

CrazedPachyderm
2011-10-07, 09:07 AM
In a game I'm running, a PC got bored with his half-ogre barbarian and had him defect to the enemies, a race of half-blue dragon troglodytes. We thought it could be fun to make him into a recurring enemy, and I think his first re-appearance will be next session.

I want him to be accompanied by a "handler," someone who keeps him in line, supports with buffs and battlefield control, and can teleport them away when things go sour. I was thinking Mindbender, but the player's new character is a Beguiler/Mindbender, and the barbarian joined willingly anyway.

Any suggestions for the handler's class? I suppose Wizard with plenty of transmutation and enchantment and teleportation will do, but I wanted something more interesting and unique. Any book is fine, race is open to change, and target CR is probably in the ballpark of 9 (party level is 8 right now, not very optimized at all).

Runestar
2011-10-07, 09:20 AM
Teleporting is tricky at such low level.

Psion/thrallherd? The ogre could be his cohort.

Other possibilities might include raksasha, mindflayer (one interesting angle is that the ogre is charmed, even though he is a willing servant, so PCs expecting an ally once they dispel the charm monster will be in for a nasty shock) or an evil nymph (advanced somehow). :smallsmile:

CrazedPachyderm
2011-10-07, 09:52 AM
Teleporting is tricky at such low level.

Psion/thrallherd? The ogre could be his cohort.

Other possibilities might include raksasha, mindflayer (one interesting angle is that the ogre is charmed, even though he is a willing servant, so PCs expecting an ally once they dispel the charm monster will be in for a nasty shock) or an evil nymph (advanced somehow). :smallsmile:

Oooh, thrallherd looks interesting. And I've been itching to drop a mindflayer on them lately.

I'm not too worried about teleporting -- if it can't cast 5th level spells, at least being able to fly away will be fine, or their blue dragon boss can arrange for a word of recall magic item.

Thanks!