PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Monk/Fist of the Forest... Build Help!

justinvacula
2011-10-07, 01:54 PM
I'm currently playing in a campaign that is expected to go to level 21 or 22 and my character is currently a Monk 6/Barbarian 1. I'm expecting to go
Monk 6/Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forest 3/ Bear Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3...to level 14, but I'm having quite a difficult time picking what I should select after level 14.

This game I am playing in is roughly running off the Living Greyhawk Campaign Standards guidelines for what is open and closed and there are no psionic options, Tome of Battle options, or generally anything outside of the core books and completes. I'm considering selecting, after level 14, at the moment, 5 levels is Shou Disciple (the DM allowed this), 2 levels in fighter, and a level in Pious Templar...or perhaps 4 more levels in Bear Warrior (in no specific order).

For what it's worth, I have no interest in Reaping Mauler, Tattooed Monk, Drunken Master, or Initiate of Draconic Mysteries.

What do you think?

tyckspoon
2011-10-07, 02:03 PM
I'd say more Bear Warrior; the difference between the Black Bear and Brown Bear forms is pretty big. Although.. Pious Templar is the one that gives Mettle, right? That'd be worth dipping for too.

Little Brother
2011-10-07, 02:14 PM
Go runescarred berserker.

Also, you a dwarf? If so, you could benefit from Deepwarden 2 and FoF 1. Any more

What're your stats and gear? You are no longer Lawful, right? Or are you using the superior Chaos Monk?

justinvacula
2011-10-07, 02:28 PM
I am a human mainly because going Fist of the Forest/Bear Warrior/Warshaper causes me to be feat-starved. I started as LG as per the role-playing/backstory of the character and am now non-lawful.

Drelua
2011-10-07, 02:36 PM
I have no idea how good of an idea this is optimization-wise, but I've had fun with a Monk/Thief Acrobat (CAdv). I'm not sure if you'll be able to meet the skill prereqs though; you'll need 8 ranks in balance, climb, jump and tumble, but I know you have evasion.

hex0
2011-10-07, 02:44 PM
I'd say more Bear Warrior; the difference between the Black Bear and Brown Bear forms is pretty big. Although.. Pious Templar is the one that gives Mettle, right? That'd be worth dipping for too.

Pious Templar into Sacred Fist maybe? having mettle and evasion with high saves is always nice...

justinvacula
2011-10-07, 02:56 PM
Pious Templar into Sacred Fist maybe? having mettle and evasion with high saves is always nice...

Two pre-req feats (and combat casting seems quite useless) is really rough considering I need the pre-req feats for FoTF and Extra Rage selections. I may, though, take a level in Pious Templar because Mettle, level 1 spells, the saves, and the 1 BAB is nice.

Onikani
2011-10-07, 03:10 PM
I'm currently playing in a campaign that is expected to go to level 21 or 22 and my character is currently a Monk 6/Barbarian 1. I'm expecting to go
Monk 6/Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forest 3/ Bear Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3...to level 14, but I'm having quite a difficult time picking what I should select after level 14.

<Snip>

What do you think?

This may not matter, but your alignment restrictions are all bunked up.
Monk must be lawful, and Barbarian cannot be lawful (well you can, but you lose rage, and thus the basis for most of your build).

LaughingRogue
2011-10-07, 03:45 PM
This may not matter, but your alignment restrictions are all bunked up.
Monk must be lawful, and Barbarian cannot be lawful (well you can, but you lose rage, and thus the basis for most of your build).

If OP can roleplay it correctly the alignments can change and since monk doesn't really lose anything from becoming non-lawful it should be fine

Onikani
2011-10-07, 04:02 PM
If OP can roleplay it correctly the alignments can change and since monk doesn't really lose anything from becoming non-lawful it should be fine

Good point, especially since he started as a monk and then branched off... :smallcool:

It is probably still worth nothing that this doesn't work quite so well if you take Barb first (unless you frequently change alignment :smallconfused:)

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-07, 04:22 PM
So you're going to kill enemies with your bear hands?

hex0
2011-10-07, 06:21 PM
Good point, especially since he started as a monk and then branched off... :smallcool:

It is probably still worth nothing that this doesn't work quite so well if you take Barb first (unless you frequently change alignment :smallconfused:)

Half-Orc Paragon and extra rage would work too in a pinch. Although they are a bit meh.

dextercorvia
2011-10-07, 08:57 PM
Seconding more levels of Bear Warrior. I wouldn't go all the way to 10, but Brown bear form is pretty awesome.

Keld Denar
2011-10-07, 09:21 PM
The 4th level of Warshaper is pretty decent. I'd recommend that. 5 is pretty not-useful for you though.