PDA

View Full Version : Weird Pathfinder Question

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 02:40 PM
I was looking over spellslinger and had a weird chuckle, seeing John Wayne/Clint Eastwood casting spells through guns. So here's my big question:

Let's say a player is building a spellslinger for a campaign. Does the character have to have a name per-se. I thought the "Man with No Name" archetypical character would be cool to play.

Blisstake
2011-10-07, 02:41 PM
So the question is if a character needs a name?

No, of course not.

CTrees
2011-10-07, 02:44 PM
Given that pathfinder lacks truenamers, as long as the character isn't something like certain outsiders, there's no requirement to have a name of any kind, no.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 02:45 PM
Because I was worried that without a name, my party would get annoyed

Blisstake
2011-10-07, 02:47 PM

Well then that's something you should ask your party members about, not a message board.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-07, 02:47 PM
Just name your character Hey You.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 02:48 PM

I thought to actually put on the sheet "Man with No Name"

Mustard
2011-10-07, 03:38 PM
If you want to get technical:
Getting Started (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html), under "Generating a Character", "Step 6", it says:
"Aside from these, you need to decide on your character's name, . . ."

So apparently, yes, your character does need a name. It doesn't say anything else about it, so I imagine for your purposes you can just pick something immaterial.

But you don't need to tell anyone what it is, as far as I can tell. Be warned, though, that if your character doesn't have a name, the other players will pick one for you, and you may not like it.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 03:50 PM
If you want to get technical:
Getting Started (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html), under "Generating a Character", "Step 6", it says:
"Aside from these, you need to decide on your character's name, . . ."

So apparently, yes, your character does need a name. It doesn't say anything else about it, so I imagine for your purposes you can just pick something immaterial.

But you don't need to tell anyone what it is, as far as I can tell. Be warned, though, that if your character doesn't have a name, the other players will pick one for you, and you may not like it.

It's part of the mystique of playing a Gunslinger.

Gnaeus
2011-10-07, 03:55 PM

Or they may glance at your character sheet, and inventively decide to name you what is on it. I have had that happen to me before.

CTrees
2011-10-07, 04:04 PM
Or they may glance at your character sheet, and inventively decide to name you what is on it. I have had that happen to me before.

There is no reason you should ever let your party see your character sheet. If they know things like your class(es), they might better be able to exploit your weaknesses at the worst possible time.

Paranoia: a way of life.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-07, 04:06 PM

Or Beatrix Kiddo.

CTrees
2011-10-07, 04:12 PM
Alternatively, if there are cases where you *must* give a name, may I suggest Adahn?

Ashram
2011-10-07, 04:59 PM
If you go with the "Man with No Name" idea, make sure your real name is "Zapp Brannigan". >.>

Lord.Sorasen
2011-10-07, 05:40 PM

More likely, they'll name you themselves based on the first trait they pick up on. Also the name will suck.

Are you silent? Expect mimey or mutey.

Is your character from the swamp? Stinky. Paladins will be sparkles.

If you have the highest charisma you will be charismaface.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 05:41 PM
More likely, they'll name you themselves based on the first trait they pick up on. Also the name will suck.

Are you silent? Expect mimey or mutey.

Is your character from the swamp? Stinky. Paladins will be sparkles.

If you have the highest charisma you will be charismaface.

They've nicknamed me "Blondie"

Starbuck_II
2011-10-07, 05:42 PM
I thought to actually put on the sheet "Man with No Name"

Why name yourself No, then you the man with No name. :smallcool:

Grendus
2011-10-07, 06:24 PM
One of my party members in my current game didn't have a name for a while, claimed his character had amnesia. Didn't cause any real problems, we referred to him with pronouns or made up names for him, not a big deal. Even if your party is really into RP, they'll likely just make up a nickname.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-10-07, 06:48 PM
They've nicknamed me "Blondie"

which was the nickname of the Man with no Name in the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly by his little Mexican amigo. so... lucky you.

Tokuhara
2011-10-07, 06:56 PM
which was the nickname of the Man with no Name in the Good, The Bad, and The Ugly by his little Mexican amigo. so... lucky you.

Best Part is he's a red-haired spellslinger

Prime32
2011-10-07, 07:16 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/no-name-grit

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-10-08, 04:05 AM
Alternatively, if there are cases where you *must* give a name, may I suggest Adahn?

Careful with that. Talk about Adahn too much and you'll run into him eventually.

Tokuhara
2011-10-08, 08:34 AM
Another odd question:

If I got Iaijutsu Focus, could I use it for the classic "Quick Draw Shot?" Something akin to drawing a pistol & firing from the hip before someone could react?

Luckmann
2011-10-08, 08:37 AM
Honestly, it won't matter past your first encounter with your companions.

Names are just something people call you and they're going to get tired of calling you "Man with no name" really fast. And if you decide to take the autist's path of "I won't listen to any names you're calling me, because I have no name", you will be labeled "That guy" and considered a Grade-A reject.

But yeah, aside from the technical aspect of it all, this is really up to your DM and your group. Names, nicknames, etc is essentially all backstory.

Tokuhara
2011-10-08, 08:44 AM
Honestly, it won't matter past your first encounter with your companions.

Names are just something people call you and they're going to get tired of calling you "Man with no name" really fast. And if you decide to take the autist's path of "I won't listen to any names you're calling me, because I have no name", you will be labeled "That guy" and considered a Grade-A reject.

But yeah, aside from the technical aspect of it all, this is really up to your DM and your group. Names, nicknames, etc is essentially all backstory.

Here's the story:

He was mindraped during his time as a bandit, who tried to rob a Sorcerer-king and lost all of his memories and left for dead. Saved by a kind couple, he cannot even remember his own name. He lost everything and now wants to regain his memories and set everything right in the world

Unseenmal
2011-10-08, 09:07 AM
Also, if you remember, in the final Man With No Name movie, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, he is referred to as Blondie by Tuco. So you don't need a name per se and I'm sure your party members can figure out some way to give you a name. I'd say run with it. No name and make them deal with it

CyMage
2011-10-08, 01:06 PM
Here's the story:

He was mindraped during his time as a bandit, who tried to rob a Sorcerer-king and lost all of his memories and left for dead. Saved by a kind couple, he cannot even remember his own name. He lost everything and now wants to regain his memories and set everything right in the world

If someone can't remember stuff, people around them will either give them a name/nickname they can use. And just because you have a name, doesn't mean you have to give it out to everyone out there...

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-10-08, 08:00 PM
Also, if you remember, in the final Man With No Name movie, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, he is referred to as Blondie by Tuco. So you don't need a name per se and I'm sure your party members can figure out some way to give you a name. I'd say run with it. No name and make them deal with it

Actually, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was chronologically the first movie... Thats where he got his trademark pancho that was worn in the "previous" two movies.

I like to watch things in the intended order...

Tokuhara
2011-10-08, 10:26 PM
If someone can't remember stuff, people around them will either give them a name/nickname they can use. And just because you have a name, doesn't mean you have to give it out to everyone out there...

DM is actually letting me use it as a flaw

Psyren
2011-10-09, 01:51 AM
Given that pathfinder lacks truenamers, as long as the character isn't something like certain outsiders, there's no requirement to have a name of any kind, no.

Even in 3.5, everybody has a truename. It's more like a "universal identifier" than a "name" - roughly translating to "{race}-{gender}-born-in-{coordinates}-on-{exact date and time}-to-{parents}" than anything you'd use to refer to or address them conversationally.

marcielle
2011-10-09, 02:46 AM
If he is called The Man With No Name, then surelly that is now his name.:smallbiggrin: Also, you risk the others coming up with nicknames for you. It's hard to be badass when everyone goes around calling you Buttons McFluffle.
Edit: Blondie? Lol that was lucky.

deuxhero
2011-10-09, 02:53 AM
Another odd question:

If I got Iaijutsu Focus, could I use it for the classic "Quick Draw Shot?" Something akin to drawing a pistol & firing from the hip before someone could react?

Sorta.

1:RAW it only works if you draw a melee weapon.
2: RAW it works with any attack after you draw a melee weapon, not just the one used.

Tokuhara
2011-10-09, 07:18 AM
Sorta.

1:RAW it only works if you draw a melee weapon.
2: RAW it works with any attack after you draw a melee weapon, not just the one used.

Well, then how do I pull off the classic "dueling quick shot?"

Tokuhara
2011-10-09, 01:00 PM
Well, then how do I pull off the classic "dueling quick shot?"

Anybody have a plan on the classic gunfighting duel quick draw shot?

marcielle
2011-10-09, 01:15 PM
Yep, it's called YOU CAN HIT PEOPLE WITH THE BUTT OF YOUR GUN.
Seriously, it just counts as an improvised weapon. Still, it's an improvised MEELEE weapon. Meaning yes, you can just draw your gun and have Iaijutsu work. Warning, this is DM fiat territory, since, as I am aware, there is nothing that explicitly says wether you can or can't do this.

EDIT: When presenting your case to your DM, invoke the Rule of Cool. Call upon the spirits of all the cool cowpokes who dun come before you. Invoke the name of LUCKY LUKE.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-09, 01:20 PM
Yep, it's called YOU CAN HIT PEOPLE WITH THE BUTT OF YOUR GUN.
Seriously, it just counts as an improvised weapon. Still, it's an improvised MEELEE weapon. Meaning yes, you can just draw your gun and have Iaijutsu work. Warning, this is DM fiat territory, since, as I am aware, there is nothing that explicitly says wether you can or can't do this.

Yeah. Technically, you're drawing an improvised melee weapon.

At least this is better than the warlock who draws a dagger and does extra damage with his eldritch blast.

Tokuhara
2011-10-09, 05:42 PM
Yeah. Technically, you're drawing an improvised melee weapon.

At least this is better than the warlock who draws a dagger and does extra damage with his eldritch blast.

DM said Iaijutsu Focus (In my case, renamed Action Shooting) works with pistols due to Rule of Cool and Rule 0

Mad Gene Vane
2011-10-09, 05:49 PM

Had a rogue in a party I was in, who was ultra suspicious of everyone, who didn't give out his name. We ended up calling him Guy.

It did get annoying, because he didn't want to trust us, so we didn't want to trust him and never knew, when he was going to bolt to do his own thing and not look out for the group's best interests.

Tokuhara
2011-10-09, 06:03 PM
Had a rogue in a party I was in, who was ultra suspicious of everyone, who didn't give out his name. We ended up calling him Guy.

It did get annoying, because he didn't want to trust us, so we didn't want to trust him and never knew, when he was going to bolt to do his own thing and not look out for the group's best interests.

At least in my case, I am doing it because he doesn't know. He lost his memories and name

magwaaf
2011-10-20, 11:41 PM
I was looking over spellslinger and had a weird chuckle, seeing John Wayne/Clint Eastwood casting spells through guns. .

My gunslinger's name is Duke Slade. He spent alot of his life learning outdoorsmanship and city rogueish stuff from his uncles john and wayne lol my DM didnt pick up on it til another player pointed it out 3 weeks in