PDA

View Full Version : Intellectual Property?

Daggoth
2011-10-07, 03:23 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new here as a member but have perused the place a few times in the past. I have a question that perhaps someone here could hopefully help me with. I've recently gotten into the Pathfinder RPG system for D20 and noticed that a number of "iconic" monsters didn't make it into the Bestiary. Beholders, Displacer Beasts, etc., just to name a few.
After some research I have found that Paizo (the creators of Pathfinder) did not print anything about these creatures because they are the intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast. My question is this: Is there a website or other reference I can go to to find out what creatures are and/or are NOT the intellectual property, copyrighted, trademarked, etc. by Wizards of the Coast or other avenues?
In short, I'm trying to figure out what creatures, classes, etc. Could NOT be used in print due to legality. Any help and/or links would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody!

Dogmantra
2011-10-07, 03:59 PM
We're not really supposed to give legal advice here. Your best bet would be to directly contact Wizards and ask them.

Force
2011-10-07, 09:51 PM
The FAQ on the d20 SRD may have the answer to your question. (http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm)

Tyndmyr
2011-10-13, 11:27 AM
Note that the D20 srd is different from the pathfinder srd. Each is pretty much the documentation on which is generally legit for use. If you have any specific legal questions that are not answered by the general statements found on each SRD, try to find some way to contact the SRD owner for more info, as they'll have a better idea about it than I will.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-10-13, 11:48 AM
I seem to remember something about anything that isn't covered by the SRD or OGL is off-limits, but that varies from system to system and even version to version. For example D&D 3.x has a fairly generous SRD and OGL all things considering, 4ed don't have one at all as far as I know.

But you really should contact wizards of the coast about this.

(Also how can beholders be the intellectual property of wizards? They didn't create the creature, they just statted it out, same as with so many of theri rather iconic creatures.)

Tyndmyr
2011-10-13, 12:03 PM
Laws vary between locales, so it's really hard to say definitively that something is specifically illegal without a lot of specific info...see an IP lawyer if you need that gritty of details about stuff not explicitly labeled by the owner as free for you to use.

Roland St. Jude
2011-10-13, 01:34 PM
Sheriff: This is the exact cross-posted duplicate of a thread I locked in the RPG section days ago. Thread. locked.