PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Shaman Gestalt and Cha/Wis

Half-orc Bard
2011-10-07, 04:41 PM
Whats a nice class to have on the other side of gestalt Spirit Shaman? I was thinking SS//Cleric or maybe SS//Sorcerer, and which is better for a spirit Shaman Wisdom or Charisma?

HunterOfJello
2011-10-07, 04:50 PM
Charisma determines the spell DCs for the Spirit Shaman and is therefore significantly more important for the character. You'll still need a high enough wisdom to cast spells and you'll use wisdom to gain bonus spells, but bonus spells aren't as important in a gestalt game as a dual caster.

Charisma is an important stat for bards, crusaders, sorcerers, favored souls, and binders. Any of those classes could mesh well with a Spirit Shaman.

Onikani
2011-10-07, 04:53 PM
I prefer Sorc to go with my SS, mainly because of the spell versatility (arcane and divine), you get to blast with your sorc side, and prepare buffs/heals/situational spells with the SS.

Alternatively, consider Warmage or Dread Necro, they aren't quite as versatile - but they both ignore ASF chance from armor....

gbprime
2011-10-07, 04:55 PM
If you can use a feat out of Dragonlance: Age of Mortals, pick up Dynamic Priest. That will convert your Spirit Shaman from Wis/Cha into Cha/Cha, then you can hook it up with Sorcerer for the win.

Hirax
2011-10-07, 04:58 PM
Have you considered bard at all?

Cog
2011-10-07, 05:06 PM
Charisma determines the spell DCs for the Spirit Shaman and is therefore significantly more important for the character.
Alternatively, you have to get your Wisdom to 19 anyway, and it'd be a lot easier if you could do that without spending your wealth on items to boost a lackluster Wis while also pumping your Cha. The Druid list offers plenty of saves, but it offers plenty of saveless effects too - go for Wis, spend your wealth boosting it even more, and you'll be plenty capable of a caster.

Half-orc Bard
2011-10-07, 05:07 PM
Have you considered bard at all?

I just finished playing one

Half-orc Bard
2011-10-07, 05:08 PM
If you can use a feat out of Dragonlance: Age of Mortals, pick up Dynamic Priest. That will convert your Spirit Shaman from Wis/Cha into Cha/Cha, then you can hook it up with Sorcerer for the win.

Is that 3rd party or homebrew?

Urpriest
2011-10-07, 05:12 PM
Generally you want the other side of a gestalt to give a bunch of more passive boosts. Given the Spirit Shaman's affinity for the various quarterstaff-enhancing Druid spells, and its Cha affinity, I'd go for Crusader.

Half-orc Bard
2011-10-07, 05:17 PM
That sounds pretty fun I like Warblades and swordsages but I've never played a crusader. should my stats go Cha>Str>Con>Wis>Int>Dex

Urpriest
2011-10-07, 05:19 PM
That sounds pretty fun I like Warblades and swordsages but I've never played a crusader. should my stats go Cha>Str>Con>Wis>Int>Dex

I'd actually prioritize Wis a bit more. While Crusaders like Cha, they don't need it to the extent that Warblades need Int or Swordsages need Wis. For the Spirit Shaman you only need it for DCs, and most of your best spells don't offer them. Cha is nice for both, but not required.

Other than that looks fine.

Half-orc Bard
2011-10-07, 05:33 PM
so str>con>cha>wis>int>dex>?

Urpriest
2011-10-07, 05:36 PM
so str>con>cha>wis>int>dex>?

Yeah probably. Maybe even Str>Con>Wis>Cha>Int>Dex.

hex0
2011-10-07, 06:17 PM
Favored Soul
Paladin (if you want a full bab chassis)
Beguiler/Rainbow Servant on the other side would be nice. :smallcool:
Edit: Forgot Beguilers are INT based.
Warmage/Rainbow Servant :smallbiggrin:

gbprime
2011-10-07, 11:21 PM
Is that 3rd party or homebrew?

It's 3rd party. The very first hardback Dragonlance sourcebook was official WotC, but the following 4 or 5 were published out of house. So it takes DM permission.