PDA

View Full Version : The Pessimist

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-07, 08:28 PM
So i was lookin at books and i stumbled across a character idea.

The inspiration was a feat called "Dead Man Walking" from a ravenloft book, but the feat wouldn't actually go in the build cause it only works in those kind of campaigns where u track fear or taint or dark side points or horror. I don't play those types of campaigns anymore because you always end up being subjected to someone elses morality. (Like getting taint points just because you won't spend your own hard earned gold to buy your party back from the slavers market, somehow that makes you evil... watever hippy.) And also those type of campaigns always end up being unfairly difficult and dangerous to the party. I don't mind strong monsters at all, but those kinds of campaigns end up putting you in the same room with all powerful immortals whilst simultaneously stripping you of half of your own character power.- no thanks

But the feat did give me an idea. The fluff basically said that you had come close to dying and it made you realize your mortality. And from that point on you sort of expected to die. So that made me think how fun it would be to play a sort of Eeyore character who always thought the worst was gonna happen and usually started a combat out by saying out loud all the things that were stacked against the party. "We're probly gonna die, that thing has 12 heads and their is only 4 of us." or "We're probly gonna die, our cleric is scraping the bottom of the barrel." If we look at that monster we will die, and if we look away it is going to stab us in the back and we will still die."

In regular situations like in town he might say things like "This stew probly wont taste that great." or "you probably paid too much for that." when another character is excited about a recent purchase. "These kinds of bars are where the murderers usually hang out. Drunk murderers... probly wont live through the night."

Anyway, i can tack this roleplay onto a lot of builds and classes. But i kinda wanted to find a class or prestige class that really fit. I couldn't remember reading about any tho. Does anyone know of anything that is right up this guys alley?

"I doubt anyone does, and besides anything up my ally probably has thiefs waiting to ambush me."

Urpriest
2011-10-07, 08:37 PM
Death Delver (Heroes of Horror) seems great for this concept, though it's kinda hard to optimized.

Gotterdammerung
2011-10-07, 08:40 PM
I will take a look, thanks.

Midnight_v
2011-10-07, 08:45 PM
I don't know but I love that character from the hitchikers guide to the galaxy.

What what his name... Marvin!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQqeidrlDyw&feature=related

So... a warforged Archivist, Wizard, factotum, or believe it or not Warblade... might work. Anyone intellect based, may well fit that or someone like him.

:smallwink:

Runestar
2011-10-07, 08:45 PM
Bard's inspire courage? Somehow, his party members always find some silver lining in his doomsaying. :smallwink:

Midnight_v
2011-10-07, 09:32 PM
There is also a feat named: Doomspeak.
pretty interesting...
I think archivist is best the more I think about it.
Something like ArchivistComtemplative

Serpentine
2011-10-08, 01:13 AM
Bard's inspire courage? Somehow, his party members always find some silver lining in his doomsaying. :smallwink:What about the opposite - the Dirge Singer, I believe it's called?

Acanous
2011-10-08, 04:07 AM
there's a Barbarian PrC that has "You almost died" built in to the prerequisites; Frostrager.

Murdim
2011-10-08, 07:54 AM
A High Elf Enchanter should do the trick. Moonblade optional.

http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/d/d9/Xan.jpg

LansXero
2011-10-08, 08:39 AM
http://hotmesscomic.com/?p=1101

Like her bunny? :O