PDA

View Full Version : Demonic sorcerer tips

NosferatuZodd
2011-10-07, 09:02 PM
I'm playing a DnD game tomorrow, i've been planning on making a sorcerer. And wanted to accentuate some demonic traits.

This game isn't a very tier-based one, I really am more interested in the flavor and fluff. Any tips on spells I should take/feats? Maybe PrC?

And, is there any other way I can turn into a pit fiend besides Shapechange?

Urpriest
2011-10-07, 09:05 PM
First of all, you do know Pit Fiends aren't Demonic, right? :smalltongue:

Anyway, Fiend-Blooded (Heroes of Horror) is a nice PrC for Sorcerors, giving a useful collection of extra spells known and some fiendish-themed abilities.

NosferatuZodd
2011-10-07, 09:06 PM
Yeah I know, but I was more going to just shapechange into it for the mechanics then change the appearance and such fluff-wise.

I prefer it to the balor, you know what I mean?

hex0
2011-10-07, 09:08 PM
Play a Tiefling and you can turn into Outsiders better. Take all the Infernal Sorcerer and/or Fiendish heritage line feats. Fiendish Legacy is good.

Urpriest
2011-10-07, 09:09 PM
Arguably Polymorph Any Object can do it. But really it's a Shapechange level effect.

NosferatuZodd
2011-10-07, 09:19 PM
I had no idea Tiefling improved your ability to turn into outsiders?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-07, 09:40 PM
I had no idea Tiefling improved your ability to turn into outsiders?

Tieflings are Outsiders. Most spells of the Polymorph Subschool allow you to transform into something from a list of types (varies between spells, only shapechange include Outsiders) or something of your own type. Ergo, a Tiefling (Outsider) can polymorph into any Outsider within the normal limits of the spell.

hex0
2011-10-08, 01:15 AM
Tieflings are Outsiders. Most spells of the Polymorph Subschool allow you to transform into something from a list of types (varies between spells, only shapechange include Outsiders) or something of your own type. Ergo, a Tiefling (Outsider) can polymorph into any Outsider within the normal limits of the spell.

Outsiders are also prof. with Martial Weapons, so you can whip out a glaive instead of a longspear in melee. :smallcool:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-08, 01:32 AM
Do note if you do go Tiefling, your taking a penalty to your casting stat AND a loss of casting progression from LA. If I were you, I'd head into Mastertranmorphgist (I probably butchered the spelling) in Complete Arcane. You loose a lot of casting but you can turn into fiends with abilities of other fiends and be a fiend practiacally all day.

Runestar
2011-10-08, 03:57 AM
Seems you are better off playing a warlock instead.

Pit fiend is a very powerful form (even if you are just shapechanging into it for the AC bonuses alone), so I don't think it is available prior to lv18.

hex0
2011-10-08, 06:36 PM
Do note if you do go Tiefling, your taking a penalty to your casting stat AND a loss of casting progression from LA. If I were you, I'd head into Mastertranmorphgist (I probably butchered the spelling) in Complete Arcane. You loose a lot of casting but you can turn into fiends with abilities of other fiends and be a fiend practiacally all day.

playing a class of a penalty to a main stat is always rewarding role playing :smallwink:

Calanon
2011-10-09, 12:55 AM
playing a race with a penalty to a main stat is always rewarding role playing :smallwink:

It hurts my soul how true this is... :smallfrown:

btw i edited your comment to say race... that is what you meant correct?

Medic!
2011-10-09, 01:05 AM
Hellbred as a race (FC2) with some of the fiend-touched feats would give you some steady flavor without twisting an arm behind your back. I still <3 my Hellbred gestalt scout/warlock from the days of....well, last month *shrug*

I don't remember specifics but somewhere in the faerun campaign world there was a feat (Spell Thematics maybe?) that let you customize your spells' appearances as well. Loads of potential there!

Calanon
2011-10-09, 01:19 AM
I don't remember specifics but somewhere in the faerun campaign world there was a feat (Spell Thematics maybe?) that let you customize your spells' appearances as well. Loads of potential there!

Spell Thematics: Make all your spells harder to counter spell (not really what it says but my interpretation of it) also make the spells appear as something else entirely... WAIT WHAT!?

Hmm... *Meteor Swarm made to look like dragons heads attacking the target over and over again* ...that feat just became a staple to all my favorite spells

*Wail of the Banshee to look like swords flying at the targets*
*Heal to look like a glowing wave of red violent energy*
*Resurrection to look like a the grim reaper appearing and swiping at the target*

That feat redefined in game animation <3 thank you Faerun :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2011-10-09, 09:29 AM
Hellbred as a race (FC2) with some of the fiend-touched feats would give you some steady flavor without twisting an arm behind your back. I still <3 my Hellbred gestalt scout/warlock from the days of....well, last month *shrug*

Unfortunately the OP is going for Demonic, not Diabolic.

hex0
2011-10-09, 04:17 PM
Spell Thematics: Make all your spells harder to counter spell (not really what it says but my interpretation of it) also make the spells appear as something else entirely... WAIT WHAT!?

Hmm... *Meteor Swarm made to look like dragons heads attacking the target over and over again* ...that feat just became a staple to all my favorite spells

*Wail of the Banshee to look like swords flying at the targets*
*Heal to look like a glowing wave of red violent energy*
*Resurrection to look like a the grim reaper appearing and swiping at the target*

That feat redefined in game animation <3 thank you Faerun :smallsmile:

I like spell thematics even though it isn't optimal. I had a Qu that cast spells as food. Fireball was a pumpkin, cone of cold was ice cream etc.