PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Kingmaker [My PC's Kingdom is out-of-control powerful!]

EccentricOwl
2011-10-07, 11:39 PM
My players' kingdom is hilariously powerful and they only ever fail when they roll a natural '1' on the d20 roll for, well, anything. They consistently churn out build points and minmax the system; for example, there are no taxes, since taxes are apparently ineffecient for the gain.

They're 3 years into the game, and I can't seem to throw any real threats at them. We just started Chapter 4, "Blood for Blood."

I've tried things like saying you can only build 1 of any building in a city to gain its benefits but it's of no use.

What do you think I should do? The players grow more and more powerful and more abusive with their kingdom.

The Gilded Duke
2011-10-08, 12:56 AM
Just what are they abusing with their kingdom? Their kingdom is succeeding yes, but is it actually breaking anything? Are they drawing out more then 1 bp in resources a month? How many BP per turn are they making? How many major magic items are they selling a turn?

It is quite easy to control your rate of expansion such that you can succeed on a 2 in any of the country checks. Doing so however usually slows down your growth rate, meaning that you get the advantages of a larger size later in the game then otherwise.

Kingdoms can make a great deal of BP, and are actually expected to. In book 5 the players will have at least one large army, which costs a certain amount of BP per week. Book Six has a quest that requires spending roughly 100 bp to complete it.

For Kingdoms, random bandits shouldn't be a huge threat, other kingdoms should be. Still, some of the random events have some teeth in them. Note that if a player is selected for assassination it isn't a stability check, but an actual combat to resolve. And the Assassin is CR +2.

One of the most memorable events in my game was when I threw an Adult Green Dragon at one of the PC's as an assassin.