PDA

View Full Version : James Bond Build

ClothedInVelvet
2011-10-08, 04:45 AM
I've generally been able to make good builds. And I've been struggling on a Bond sort of build for a while now. You may have even watched my last attempt (using a Citadel Elite) be destroyed on these very boards. Dumb errata. He even had the license to kill.

Anyway, I must admit defeat and submit to the playground for assistance.

Guidelines:
Humanoid
Social/Urban focused
Skilled
Doesn't have to be superb in combat, but should be able to do something that is worthwhile.
I can refluff, but the mechanics have to be there.
If possible, avoid magic. I know a wizard can do anything, but I'd rather stick to mundane.
Weapons: Try to stick to daggers and rapiers.

Books: Anything published by Wizards except for Dragon magazine and Dragon Compendium. If something from there is superb, we can make an exception.

I've seen you work, but I'm pretty stumped here. I'll be impressed if you can pull something together.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-10-08, 08:51 AM
What lvl are we talking About here? And I could probably whip up a Diplomancer bard or rogue build (with Leadeship with a Crafter Cohort for his gadgets)
Maybe a dip for Cha to AC somewhere to explain his ability to evade so many machine-gun wielding mooks

Abaddon87
2011-10-08, 09:13 AM
Should include at least some levels in Spymaster to assist with is cover identities he uses while on missions.

It would be easier to help if we knew what level we are looking at making him.

dgnslyr
2011-10-08, 11:06 AM
Hmm, I'd say bard, because it's got all the necessary, ahem, social skills, and improved unarmed strike and ranks in Perform(Film Soundtrack) to pump up his inspire courage means his hand-to-hand combat should be at least as good, if not better than a full-BAB brute. He has access to plenty of wonky gadgets, so you can hardly say he's "mundane," and the spellcasting list of a bard complements him pretty well.

Mix in Factotum to taste, because Bond certainly has a wide range of skills and a certain inventiveness.

Rogue works too, because they have both social and stealth skills.

Spymaster, as mentioned before, would likely help him too.

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-08, 11:18 AM
I would say a Factotum with a lot of luck and inspiration feats, and Leadership for an Artificer cohort.

Abaddon87
2011-10-08, 11:28 AM
I would say a Factotum with a lot of luck and inspiration feats, and Leadership for an Artificer cohort.

Yes I think at the end of the day Factotum is best. Heck he can even use his ability to mirror the Spymaster's ability to assume cover ids.

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-08, 11:36 AM
I suppose an unarmed swordsage could possibly work as well, with the more magical elements reflavored as fancy gadgets provided by Q. But I still stand by my first response of Factotum + Artificer cohort.

Radar
2011-10-08, 12:20 PM
Yes I think at the end of the day Factotum is best. Heck he can even use his ability to mirror the Spymaster's ability to assume cover ids.
Which fails in every single movie. :smalltongue:

CTrees
2011-10-08, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure... either it fails, Bond is terrible at cover IDs, or he just doesn't try. I mean, right from the beginning, often without being asked, it's "Bond, James Bond." That's either not trying to create a cover ID, failing massively or rolling a natural one in a game with fumbles for skill checks.

For an actual spy, it'd be a useful ability :smallsmile:

Abaddon87
2011-10-08, 12:51 PM

Well he doesnt exactly play it low key so... it really his fault, not the class feature's.