PDA

View Full Version : A World Asunder [IC]

PersonMan
2011-10-08, 07:26 AM
OOC. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11987545#post11987545)

The day before yesterday you all got a message. It wasn't delivered normally, or sent by a messenger, but it simply appeared one afternoon after you had gone looking for information. The main body of the information was quite diverse, with reports from several fronts, some written by officers, others secondhand accounts, and even a few sections that must have been taken directly from messages within some of the invading armies. All together, it gives you a good idea of the current situation. The shadow armies are preparing for a large-scale attack on the undead, who themselves are preparing to fight their way through the underdark, to gain access to another potential portal site. The Arkanian Empire's most recent attacks have resulted in them gaining ground, and one of its enemies is on the brink of capitulation. The Lumi are expecting reinforcements soon, and so have dug in rather than continuing to attack.

Attached to all of this is a small note, which says:

This information is both a gift and proof of my information gathering capability, to assure you that I am not a fool who has received false information. I wish to meet with you personally, to discuss something that I believe you will be interested in: the fact that one group has been manipulating all of the other factions involved in this war.

I will await you at the Old Breach, at 8 Hours.

Other sources you find corroborate the information the message contains.

The Old Breach is an old part of the outer city wall which is no longer used and is now redundant due to superior inner defenses. It is, however, well known as a place with an amazing view of the port. The time the note specifies is only shortly after dawn, before several parts of the city are even lit by the sun due to the high walls near the port.

Are there any things you do before going? Preparations of any kind?

Kittenwolf
2011-10-08, 08:22 AM
Arcanijir looked over the manuscript, noting how much information was contained, and pondering the oddity of the fighting. The Undead being attacked by the Shadow army made no sense, they'd be immune to most of each other's abilities. There must be an exceptionally strong reason to stop the Undead from reaching the portal for the Shadow army to risk such a stalemate. Either that or someone wanted the Shadow army to *think* there was...

Arc frowned at the time listed for the meeting, worried that this would stop him from accepting some of Bahamut's granted powers at dawn. He could Search the Dragon earlier, but Bahamut's divine power had only a small window. At least he hadn't used up much power today.

"Luminia"Arc sent his thoughts to his familiar, currently circling around the city, or more likely sitting down at the dock convincing the sailors to give her the choice bits of their catch "We've received a message. Information on all the armies, where they're moving, what they're doing. Information that had to come from within the armies themselves."

Luminia's warm voice came quickly in reply "How helpful, where did you find all this information? Did that smelly Diviner finally come up with something useful?"

Arc smiled "No need to be like that Lumi. Actually, I don't know who the information came from, the note just appeared in my room. But whoever sent it, they want to meet just after dawn. I don't know if this is legitimate or a trap"

"Seems a lot of effort to go through, getting all that information if it's just going to be bait."

"Unless they thought nothing short of everything we need would draw us in"

Luminia's mental voice took on a colour of amusement "Do you really think you're that important?"

"Well *I'm* clearly not, you on the other hand.."

"Well of course I'm important. So it's a source of all the information we might need, or it's a trap?"

"Yep! Sounds like fun doesn't it? Don't eat too many fish, I'll need you able to fly"
Arc felt a mental raspberry sent his way in return, and chuckled. "I'm going to go and find the others, see what they think"

Arc left his room, wondering if the others were in the common room or elsewhere.

Emperor Ing
2011-10-08, 02:12 PM
Dragons in civilized areas are things that attract a lot of attention. A dragonforged construct that is, for all intents and purposes, a dragon in civilized areas are things that attact even more attention. A formerly omnicidal adamantium dragonforged construct that is, for all intents and purposes, a dragon clad in redundant, full-body plating black mithril barding is something that cannot help but attract an undeserving amount of attention. To the consternation of the formerly omnicidal adamantium hypt dragon itself, whom is quite shy.

Rident's appearance is that of a black adamantium creature shaped into the form of a stylized dragon skeleton. His rib cage and skull glow with an unnatural green energy, which is mimicked by rings on his spine, going from neck to tail. This is a trait shared by all Hypt Dragons. The glows are concealed by Rident's armor, in fact at first glance one wouldn't guess that Rident isn't a Hypt Dragon at all (assuming they even know what a hypt dragon looks like) though his almost sickly thin frame and several strategically located chinks in the armor do give away Rident's heritage, as if the neon green glow from his open mouth weren't giveaways enough.

Rident, an adult Hypt Dragon took up residence in one of the inn's rooms, if only to get away from the incessant crowds, and the armada of eyes trained on him. He considered many times just going on a killing spree. The tranquility and stillness of death would be an alternative, but Rident must remind himself that that is something the victims of flesh and bone should have the right to decide for themselves.

The meta dragon almost snapped when the messenger came in with the note. Should his mind be projected onto reality, the messenger would have been used as paint against the walls. Fortunately, Rident does not have that ability. Instead, upon reading the note, he goes in search for his spiritual advisor, somehow anticipating that he got a similar note.

2xMachina
2011-10-09, 02:39 AM
Talle sits and thinks, "Hmm, I wonder who sent the information, and why they want the meeting.

The hour is a bit inconvenient too, so I guess I better sleep early today and study my prayerbook by candlelight early tomorrow morning.

There could be an ambush too, so better be prepared.
"

Kittenwolf
2011-10-09, 03:49 AM
After failing to find anyone in the common room, Arc headed back to the hallway, Talle's room was closest, perhaps he was in there.
Arc was halfway through knocking at Talle's door when a clanking noise and green glow from around the corner alerted him to Rident's presence.

*In Draconic*"Rident? Did you receive a note as well?"
Arc was always careful to address Rident in Draconic as much as possible, the more he was reminded to be a Dragon rather than a sentient Golem, the better the chances of him not going on a killing spree.

Emperor Ing
2011-10-09, 01:14 PM
The meta dragon's massive head turned to look at the diminutive creature. His metallic mask forever hiding the uncertainty from his face. The head sunk down to where Arc may think Rident had no neck. Bursts of green light from empty eye sockets dart around the room, as if looking for the right words.
Oh! Uhmm...hi, no wait! Note...yes. Yes I did get a note. From a human. It gave me the note that mentioned a meeting...somewhere.

Kittenwolf
2011-10-09, 06:16 PM
Arc looked up at Rident, wondering not for the first time if there was a soul somewhere in that carapace, if so it would make fixing his condition that much easier...
"Yours was delivered by a human? Mine simply appeared in my room when my back was turned."
Arc knocked on Talle's door again, he could see candlelight coming under the door so he was reasonably sure he was in there. If he was a Kobold Arc would have already walked in, but he'd realised that Humans for some reason thought that was rude.
"Any ideas on what we should do before seeing this mysterious informant? I think I'll use magic to scout out the location before we walk in, but it would be helpful if we could divine more about this person before we left."

Emperor Ing
2011-10-09, 07:45 PM
I do not know who Mysterious Informant is. I do not think I can know about someone with the name Mysterious. No wait. Uhh. No. Yes! Aaahhgh... Rident growls at his own uncertainty. I...think...the...I, uhh...not one person. No wait. We will meet one person but...uhh...he knows lots of people that...tell him things. Maybe...it is someone to...trust? Maybe? No, Mysterious is a silly name.

Kittenwolf
2011-10-11, 02:34 AM
Arc takes a minute to order Rident's conversation in his head
"Yes, we will meet with a person who has a lot of other people telling him things. Whether he or she can be trusted, we will need to decide when we meet. And I don't think they're actually called Mysterious"

Emperor Ing
2011-10-11, 10:51 AM
No no no, of course not. The hypt dragon corrects himself. It's a silly name, and...those with silly names are silly. I think? Yes. Whoever, whatever...yes. Whoever this is...went-went through a lot of trouble...just to meet...me.

Kittenwolf
2011-10-13, 07:15 PM
Hrm. No sign of 2xMachina, so I'm guessing Talle won't be answering the door anytime soon.

"I'm not sure which possibility I find more troubling Rident, that someone went to a lot of trouble to contact us, or that this contact wasn't any trouble for them. I'm still not completely familiar with all of your skills, will you have any difficulty with the requested time of our meeting? And do you have any way to scout out or view the meeting place before we get there?"

Emperor Ing
2011-10-13, 09:12 PM
What? No. No, I mean...yes. Yes I can go to the Breach and take-take a look. Take a look at the place. Because we're meeting someone there. Naturally, he sounds like he is a fish out of water. I can walk or fly there. Yes. I can walk or fly. Not at the same time. But that...maybe it will attract attention.

2xMachina
2011-10-17, 02:44 AM
Talle heads out to see if his friends are around. Getting out of his room, he sees the two of them, apparently talking in front of his door.

Blinking in surprise, he thinks Huh, I must be deaf to miss them talking right in front of my door.

"Oh hey. Hello. I suppose you got the notes too?", he says as he waves his piece of paper.

"If we go prepared for a battle, we won't be surprised if it becomes one. I got to rest early today though, else I won't get my spells in time for tomorrow."

Kittenwolf
2011-10-17, 06:23 AM
Arc turns with surprise towards the door, switching to only slightly accented Common "Talle! I was thinking you'd cast Silence on you or something... or maybe I just can't knock hard. Didyou have any idea about magically scouting the site, or finding out about the person who sent the note?"

2xMachina
2011-10-17, 09:55 AM
Talle replies, I suppose I was engrossed thinking...
Well, I just the standard divination. Nothing special.

Emperor Ing
2011-10-17, 10:50 AM
Oooh! Wait! Wait! Rident interjects exitedly
I just remembered that I have this! From a compartment in his armor, he brandishes a black and green cube and a sheet of cheap parchment. In his hand, the cube expands into an impossibly precise grid of black and green energy, enveloping the parchment. Once it clears, a scroll of some sort is visible in the Hypt Dragon's gauntleted claw.
This scroll should let me see things...without me actually being there. Except I am, but not really. Uhmmm... He trails off.
I'm sorry, this is confusing. It's scrying. Sort of.

Using one of my 2 Scribe spellcores to create a Scroll of Arcane Eye
Cost: 5 Flux Points (7 remaining for the day)

PersonMan
2011-10-22, 06:14 PM
The air is cool, with a strong breeze coming in from the harbor, although in the sun it's still possible to enjoy a few patches of warm air. The figure you all(well, except for Talle) saw through your divinations is still where he* was before, his dark cloak heavy enough that it moves only slightly in the wind. As you approach, whether by air or ground, he turns to you once you get close. With the rising sun at his back, the figure's front is in shadow and it's difficult to pick out any details. What you can tell, however, is that the figure's build is fairly slim and that he is almost 6 feet tall. The cloak is clearly high-quality, made to endure the harshest of elements and possibly even magically enhanced to keep the wearer comfortable. The figure wears similarly well-made boots, marked with arcane symbols that many of the common folk claim invoke luck. Both sleeves of the cloak extend beyond the figure's arms, and a necklace of what seem to be perfectly spherical pieces of obsidian is visible hanging from one, as if only lightly held by the figure, and swings in the breeze.

So you have arrived. The figure says, his voice quiet. You can't tell whether the figure is male or female(or even, if he is human, orc, etc.) by the voice.

*He because English grammar. The gender of the figure isn't readily apparent.

Emperor Ing
2011-10-22, 06:47 PM
Yes! Yes I can. The armored hypt dragon explains with little subtlety, although it was probably a freudian slip.
No wait. You were...waiting. Yes. For hours. Eight hours you were waiting, I mean. Why?

Kittenwolf
2011-10-22, 10:01 PM
Luminia flies down and settles on the ground, Arc on her back.
"Yes, we have arrived. We got your message, and I must say we're both interested in how you got your information and confused as to why you sent the message to us. Who else have you contacted?"

Liminia's voice was slightly amused. "We're also confused as to why you chose this time to meet, since it stops me flying around the fishing ships and letting them donate fish to me"

2xMachina
2011-10-25, 09:00 AM
Talle shrugs and looks around. He has nothing to add, before the stranger answers the questions of his companions.

Interesting time, interesting place, interesting person.

PersonMan
2011-10-25, 03:06 PM
I have many contacts, as well as other methods of gathering information. I have not contacted other groups yet, and chose you due to your unique experiences with each faction. The figure says. The wind picks up a bit, causing the obsidian and sleeves of the figure to sway in one direction.

Emperor Ing
2011-10-26, 07:04 PM
What...what are you-trying...to do, I mean...why are we summoned...here?

2xMachina
2011-10-30, 03:43 AM
After a whiles silence, Talle says, Well then, we're here. Do whatever you came here to do.

PersonMan
2011-10-30, 01:47 PM
I am here to tell you this: a group, specifically, the Rilmani, have plans to extend this conflict longer than it would normally last. Already, secret peace meetings are being held between several factions. However, the Rilmani have sent assassins to stop these meetings. In addition to these actions, they are also attempting to bring the armies of the Abyss and Hell into the war. There are plans for them to attempt to bring the legions of Mechanus onto the battlefields, as well. The figure explains. I believe that you all have reasons to oppose them. Arcanijir, your tribe and dragon will surely be threatened if the war continues, and your desire for adventure may be truly sated by a mission to save the entire continent. Ridenalatherix, I am sure that your preference for quiet and peace will lead you to be unhappy with a world consumed by the constant noise of war. Talle, you seek knowledge, and war is destructive. If it is to continue, libraries will be razed, centers of knowledge annihilated and what little is known of Tsolorandril will be forgotten. While speaking, the figure steps forwards and leans towards each of you in turn. In fact, there's another reason, one which I'm sure will be of great interest to you all, that you want to act against the Rilmani...They are already aware of you and have identified you as a threat. Assassins are on their way to attack you at this very moment. The figure turns and walks to the ramparts, climbing up onto them before continuing. If you want to know more, find Tolis, the necromancer. Give her this, and she will know what you want. With this, the figure swings one arm, letting the necklace fly towards you, before falling backwards over the ramparts.

Kittenwolf
2011-10-30, 06:23 PM
Arc moves forwards to grab the necklace as it falls. "This not sound good. Anyone know anything about these Rilmani?"

Between Arc & Lumi we've got knowledge: Arcana, Religion, Dungeoneering, Nature and Planes. Any of those helpful for finding info on these people?

2xMachina
2011-10-31, 12:58 AM
Talle moves towards the rampart to take a look at the disappearing stranger.

That's quite a flashy exit. And he sure knows a lot about us.

I assume we don't know Toris, and we need to find her?

Also, the Rilmani...
Have Knowledge: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Local, Nature, Religion, planes

PersonMan
2011-10-31, 02:00 PM
The figure is gone. There's no evidence of him having hit the ground.

With a moment to think about what you know, all of you remember learning of the Rilmani in one way or another. They are a race of beings that live somewhere in the Astral Plane and their philosophy is one of neutrality, based on the belief that the extremes are, well, too extreme. Their territory is a no-conflict zone.

Talle:
You remember hearing rumors of a necromancer living in the Middle Ring, and that she normally keeps to herself, rarely being seen by anyone apart from those she buys food from.

There is also talk of a shadowy figure sneaking to and from her house, deep in the night.

DM:

Arc:
Know(planes) [roll0]
Rident:
Know(planes) [roll1]
Talle:
Know(planes) [roll2]

Also:
Know(local) [roll3] For Necro.

Emperor Ing
2011-11-01, 12:40 AM
Rident's mind racing to process questions and comments.
He, the-um...Yes. He was in a...hurry to-leave. Right? He...says things, but there are also things I don't think he said, no, that, uhh, there are things he did not say that need to be said. That's it. I...do not trust him, I don't think. I mean, I don't think we can trust him with too much. I mean...the necromancer is probably accurate, but...we may be, um...pieces...innn-a game. He pauses for a moment. Rilmani...they are like...well, Hypts. He tries to shrink, only to discover his metallic body to be physically incapable of shrinkage.
I mean, not like me, but...other Hypts. You know?

Kittenwolf
2011-11-01, 12:56 AM
Arc looks up from the necklace he's holding "I think there's two possibilities. Either this mysterious stranger is correct, and for some reason the normally neutral Rilmani want this war to escalate, possibly hoping that all the alignment-aligned races will just kill each other off and leave neutrality behind. Or, someone wants us to think that and go after them, thus drawing them into the combat.
I think I'll need to do some Divining, maybe Bahamut can provide an answer.

Also, I'll cast Detect Magic on the necklace, just in case.

PersonMan
2011-11-01, 01:35 AM
Arc:
The necklace is not magic.

2xMachina
2011-11-01, 03:59 AM
"Hmm, I think I recall hearing about this Tolis. There are rumors of an isolationist Necromancer living in the Middle Ring. And a shadowy figure sneaks in and out of her house in the middle of the night."

Talle starts as he remembers about the assassins mentioned.

"But let's get out of here as we talk. There's the assassins he mentioned, that are on the way. Or perhaps you would rather ambush them?"

Kittenwolf
2011-11-01, 04:38 AM
Arc opens his mouth to reply but Luminia beats him to it "Ambushing Assassins is always fun. Plus the more such scum that are wiped from the planes, the better"
Arc finally gets a word in edgewise "What she said. Also, we may be able to get information out of them"

Emperor Ing
2011-11-01, 10:14 AM
Rident shakes his head.
They...might not even exist. They will...probably go for theeee...necromancer first.

Kittenwolf
2011-11-07, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a good idea Rident. Talle, do you have any idea where this necromancer may be?"

2xMachina
2011-11-11, 08:59 AM
Not exactly at the moment. I know she's in the middle ring. I can probably get someone to pinpoint the rumored house.

Emperor Ing
2011-11-11, 03:42 PM
I think we need to move, to, uh we need to...get there...as quick-quickly as possible.

PersonMan
2011-11-14, 09:39 AM
It takes some time, but after about an hour of searching you're able to track down Tolis' house in the Middle Ring. Although it's still quite early, a few shops have already opened and people are beginning to make their way through the streets. The necromancer's house is fairly large, situated on one of the larger streets of the district, and has large mirrors hanging where one would normally expect windows to be.

Moments after you arrive, the front door is opened by a figure in obviously expensive clothing. A vest of dark purple silk, covered by sashes inlaid with small gems and covered in goldwork. The figure has the head of a jackal, with dark fur that has more in common with hair than a normal animal's covering. One of its ears is pierced twice and a golden ring studded with red gems hangs from each hole. The jackal-man wears a pair of simple pants with dozens of small fingernail-sized pieces of metal, polished until they reflect almost as well as glass, sown into the fabric along the front. Although it's difficult to identify his expression, it seems clear that he doesn't want to be talking to you.

"What do you want?" He asks, baring his teeth slightly as he speaks. If the jackal-man is surprised by the odd mix of a group before him, he hides it quite well.

Arc:
You get the feeling that you're being watched when you approach the house, but you don't know from where.

Rident:
You've heard about creatures known as Jackal Lords, beings with some magical power as well as the ability to control canines, who infiltrate cities and set themselves up as the centers of cults.

DM:
Rolls for getting that feeling.
Arc: [roll0]
Rident: [roll1]
Talle: [roll2]

To recognize the dude, yo:
Arc: [roll3]
Rident: [roll4]
Talle: [roll5]

Kittenwolf
2011-11-14, 06:20 PM
Arc looks at the strange creature's legwear (not that he has much choice at his height) and bounces slightly "Oooh, your legs are shiny, good pieces of metal too. Thought about putting shiny polished rings around them?" Arc will turn slightly to the side, showing the green and purple steel rings wrapped around his tail.

At the same time, he sends a mental message to Luminia "Lumi we're being watched, possibly from those mirrored windows. Can you take a quick look around?"

Luminia rolls her eyes "Why do you always get like this when metal is involved? Such a Kobold" Luminia begins to fly off, thumping Arc in the back of the heal with her tail as she does. "Call for me when you're talking sense again"

Luminia is going to fly around the front of the house and roof trying to spot anything, paying particular attention to the 'windows'.
She's got Superior Low Light Vision, Darkvision and Blindsense

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Also I'm guessing a bluff check is probably needed so that that doesn't look staged.

Arc's Bluff: [roll2]
Luminia's Bluff: [roll3]

Emperor Ing
2011-11-14, 08:52 PM
The hypt dragon breaks eye contact almost immediately, shrinking to look as absolutely un-threatening as a large heavily armored Hypt Dragon can possibly be. It is pretty obvious that if given the chance, Rident would hide inside his armor. Oh, umm....uhh... what follows is a barely audible symphony of squeaks and jibberish mutterings. He manages to say one thing in a loud whisper that is moderately coherent. Where...necklace, no, I mean...uhh...where is the-the uhh...necklace?

2xMachina
2011-11-15, 02:18 PM
Talle feels surprised to see the Jackal-man. Who is he?

To the jackal-man, he says, "We're here to talk to someone. You're not who I expected to live here... Did we get the address wrong or something?" as he tilts his head to the right a bit, inquisitively.

PersonMan
2011-11-16, 12:07 PM
Ah, you're probably here to see Tolis. This is her place of residence, she just has me answer the door while she's working. The jackal-man sighs, an odd tone in his voice. None of you can tell what sort of tone it is, either because of an unfamiliarity with his race, such things in general or the shortness of its presence.

At Arc's comments, the jackal-man seems to be pleased, as he straightens up and gets what could be called a smile on his face. I'm glad you noticed. It's been a while since I've met someone who can appreciate these sorts of things. I've been considering getting bands, actually, but I've heard that they can be very difficult to get off of legs and are uncomfortable to sleep in. He says. Ah, I've forgotten to introduce myself. I am Nerasali, keeper of the ancient sands in my homeland. I'm...well, you could say I'm a sort of assistant to Tolis, as my people are interested in her work and I've been sent here to, well, keep track of the progress she's making.

Luminia(Arc):
The mirrors seem to have been constructed over the original windows of the house. From an angle you can spot what are probably boards covering a window behind one of the upper mirrors.

Apart from that, there's nothing unusual about them.

DM:
More Wis checks, yo:
A: [roll0]
R: [roll1]
T: [roll2]

Kittenwolf
2011-11-16, 08:56 PM
"Hrm.. I can see how rings might not work so well for something that's not a tail. Can't slide them off. Maybe ones with a hinge? Oh, and I'm Arcanijir, Arc for short"
Arc does his best to remain completely straight-faced
"And of course I'm completely oblivious to the pun that I just made"

Emperor Ing
2011-11-19, 05:28 PM
The frightened dragon does his best to regain his composure, attempting to introduce himself with the most barely audible noise.
I'm...uhh...eh,...i'm...Ry, Ryden-en, elath...Ridenalathix.

2xMachina
2011-11-20, 02:42 AM
Talle gives a polite smile, while saying, Nice to meet you, Nerasali. I'm Talle. Is Tolis free to talk to us?

PersonMan
2011-11-20, 06:02 AM
Nerasali seems slightly confused by Arc's comment for a moment before realization hits him. I see.

Nerasali turns to Rident and gives him a curt nod. You're certainly an interesting creature, Ryryden-enelath Ridenalathix.

In response to Talle the jackal man nods. As long as you don't try to interfere with her work, she's ready to accept visitors. Nerasali steps back and to the side, allowing you all to enter.

It's quite dark within the house, especially once Nerasali closes the door behind you. He stays in the more shadowy shadows(as there aren't really light spots in the house, just lighter shadows), picking his way through what seems to be a chaotic workshop. He occasionally completely disappears from view in the space of a single step, but he always reemerges shortly thereafter. Eventually he stops in front of an area where the darkness is impenetrable. Guests. They have the token of flowing wonder. Nerasali says, his ears pressing forwards in anticipation of a reply.

Interesting. The voice is clearly female, and human. A moment later she steps out of the darkness, coming into view as if emerging from a solid wall. Tolis is wearing a dark cloak-like covering over much of her body, but what skin you can see is deeply tanned. The edges of tattoos are barely visible at the edges of the cloak in some places. What's quite unusual, however, is that the necromancer's eyes don't seem to have irises, and her hair is almost pure black. The robe she wears seems to be of fairly inexpensive material, made to be tough rather than attractive. You can see dozens of small marks on it, stains, burns and other things that could ruin normal clothing. So, then, why have you come to my home? She asks, surveying all of you with a cool glance. Confidence seems to radiate from her, as if she met metal dragons, small dragonlike beings and humans all together every day.

Rident:
Something seems a bit off about this human...you can't place it, but there seems to be something wrong about her, somehow. It's as if a few details are wrong but the rest is right.

DM:
Arc: [roll0]
Rid: [roll1]
Talle: [roll2]

Emperor Ing
2011-11-21, 12:18 AM
No, no. It is just, um, Ridenalathix. The dragon attempts to correct quickly.

Addressing the necromancer, Rident looks as nervous as ever.
Well, umm, there are these...uhh, no. Just one human, I think. And where is the amulet? Yes, who has the amulet?

Kittenwolf
2011-11-21, 12:30 AM
Arc will have called Luminia down before heading inside.
"Hello Tolis, nice to meet you, I'm Arcanijir. Um. We've been told that you can help us with information about this whole intra planar war going on. And we were told to bring this"
Arc holds up the amulet

2xMachina
2011-11-23, 05:25 AM
Talle watches quietly, as he has nothing to add. He ponders what Nerasali meant about the token of flowing wonder.

PersonMan
2011-11-23, 10:09 AM
Tolis nods, extending an arm to take the necklace and doing so if Arc doesn't seem to have anything against her doing so.

Well, I do have quite a bit of information...I assume she told you about the Rilmani? Well, as you probably know, they espouse neutrality. Recently one of them has put a massive plan into motion: they want to start a massive war, this is already happening, and extend it until the people are at their limit before even letting it begin to wind down. They then start preaching neutrality and peace to whoever will listen and usher in a new age where people see generations of war as the natural result of what the Rilmani believe are 'extreme' points of view. The necromancer says, leaving out the normal intonation one might expect for someone detailing a plan to essentially destroy a large part of the world.

Outside, what sounds like thunder can be heard. It is followed by the sudden impact of a creature of great force on the door, causing the wood to splinter and a rounded area bulge inwards. Tolis frowns, seeming more annoyed than worried at the sudden interruption.

It seems like you've been followed. She says, snapping her fingers. Kty'z! To the door, now! The necromancer orders. A moment later a large shadow glides across the wall and seems to take on a more solid form, pressing against the door just as it is shaken by another impact. So, do you want to take the fight to them or get the drop on them once they break through the door? Tolis asks, her tone slightly playful.

Emperor Ing
2011-11-23, 11:09 PM
Rident looks over the door. The glow in his body intensifies, occasionally firing an arc of green lightning on the floor as the Hypt Dragon appears to grow, speaking with presence, clarity, and boldness.
I will bait myself while you attack as they come through.
He turns to face the door, his mouth arcing green energy in preparation.

Preparing an action to use Maximized Lightning Breath

Kittenwolf
2011-11-23, 11:37 PM
Arc looks at Luminia and grins. "We like tackling them head on, last thirty expect. Do your upstairs windows open or should we teleport outside?"

PersonMan
2011-11-24, 03:24 AM
Tolis smiles. Good. Human, are you ready? In a moment I will order my assistant to allow them to enter. Another slam causes more of the door to splinter, held shut only by the oddly solid shadow before it.

Turning to the smaller being, she replies to Arc's question with a confused What do you mean? There are no windows in this house that haven't been blocked.

Kittenwolf
2011-11-24, 04:48 AM
Arc grins "Guess I'd better teleport us outside and surprise whoever's knocking on your door then. Anyone want to come with me?"

Kittenwolf
2011-11-27, 09:14 PM
Well, no reply from anyone so Arc is going to use Teleport to bounce himself and Luminia outside and into the street to attack whatever this is before it gets inside.
Luminia will have a readied action to use her breath weapon the moment we get outside.

Emperor Ing
2011-11-28, 06:43 AM
((For the record i'm still here, i'm just waiting for PersonMan))

2xMachina
2011-11-28, 01:36 PM
Talle draws his chain as he heads towards the door, but off to a side, so as to not be in the line of fire of Arc's lightning later. He also tries to make sure the opening door will not block him.

He mutters, Flank it.

Kittenwolf
2011-11-30, 06:33 PM
Arc's first couple of actions are here under the cut:

Initiative Roll [roll0]
"Surprise" Round?
a) Arc uses Teleport to move into the street outside (Teleport roll [roll1])
b) Luminia uses a readied action to blast the creature hitting the door as soon as they teleport (unless the creature somehow looks like legitimate city authority ;) ).
Empowered Persistent Dragon's Breath spell. 30ft line of Electricity, 12d8 damage, DC 24 Reflex (half).
Luminia's damage: [roll2]
Recharge time: [roll3] rounds

PersonMan
2011-12-02, 04:04 PM
Outside is a truly odd scene, something that seems more fitting in some propaganda story about how the enemy will send monsters to destroy the city than reality. A humanoid beast, more than twice as tall as Rident, with wings large enough that they nearly hide the creature's bulk, surges forwards to smash the door, a massive black polearm clutched awkwardly in one hand as it does so. Surrounding the creature are 4 beings, covered by soiled black cloaks, each weakly holding a large cleaver in one hand. They don't seem to be aware of what's happening around them at all, simply standing there as if waiting for something to push them to action. Another 4 of these strange things, covered in layers of tattered robes, stand further back on the street, two facing each direction, as if standing guard. They seem to be oblivious of the terrified but curious onlookers huddling together about 40 feet from them.

In the center of this odd formation is a strange lobster-like creature, with eye stalks extending upwards as the creature attempts to see into the necromancer's house through the now-breaking door. It has two three-toed legs and a tail like that of the mundane creature it resembles, as well as pincers that tip a pair of human-like arms coming from the creature's underside. Where a human might have a beard and a lobster would have its mandibles, the beast has about a dozen tentacles hanging from a fleshy chin. Its mouth is irregularly lined with sharp teeth.

When Arc and Luminia suddenly appear outside, the lobster-thing barely has time to react before being blasted by a line of electricity. Barely left standing by that, the strange creature has only enough time to bark what sounds like the beginning of an order in a language Rident knows, but the others don't recognize, before being struck by a much stronger blast of lightning from the house. The creature seizes up, shaking in the electrical surge before half-exploding, scorched pieces of unidentifiable sludge flying from the shattering shell of the now thoroughly dead being.

The blast of lightning that caused the crustacean being to explode also struck the massive creature pummeling the door, being released by the hypt dragon just as the wood gave way, no longer supported by the surprisingly solid shadow. The creature roars, enraged by the sudden blast of green energy, but seems to be quite sturdy compared to the now-fried lobster-thing. Surprisingly enough, it doesn't even seem like the lightning did any true damage. Steam rises from the thick hide of the creature where the deadly power struck it, but it seems like it already healed, leaving behind only a bit of scar tissue.

A moment after all of this happens, all eight of the cloaked beings (after a second, it becomes clear that they're quite fat) turn and waddle-run towards Arc and Luminia, raising their cleavers as they go. It seems as if their faces have been covered by black leather, with no holes for breathing or sight, but the creatures seem to have no problem pinpointing the new draconic arrivals on the battlefield. The closest ones, one of the pairs guarding the road, are 20' away. The next road-pair is 40' away, and the four from near the door are between 35' and 45' away.

DM:
Ref: [roll0]

Eich-pee: 184
Nonlethal damage: 72

Rident:
It says 'Kill th-' before being killed.

OOC:
You all have one surprise round (count actions taken to use breath weapons against your ones for 'em).

Oh, and it's initiative time. Want to use group or single init?

Emperor Ing
2011-12-06, 09:50 AM
After releasing a crack of green energy, Rident's wings unfurl.
Behold the vessel of your absolution!
And with a mighty leap, he begins a mad charge against the creatures, specifically targeting the largest one with his mighty bite.

Using Mountain Hammer Maneuver (+2d6 damage, ignores DR and Hardness
[roll0]
[roll1]

Knowledge (Arcana, Planes)
[roll2]
[roll3]

PersonMan
2011-12-08, 01:54 PM
Initiative
Talle: 20
Rident: 18
Arc: 13
Big Monster: 11
Evil Fatso-Things: -3

Rident's great teeth carve great gashes into the flesh of the beast, causing it to howl with rage. However, like the wounds inflicted by his lightning, they heal with amazing speed. The only sign of the attacks on the creature are the scars on its body, although it does seem more unsteady than before.

DM:
NL: 94

Emperor Ing
2011-12-09, 04:55 PM
A menacing grid of black and green energy envelops the torso of Rident as waves of green energy erupt from the Hypt Dragon, smashing against the creatures in front of him with great fury

5 ft step backwards

Rident uses a scroll of Wings of Flurry
Move-Equivalent action to get it out
Standard Action to cast
[roll0]
Force Damage

Reflex save DC 18 for half damage and to avoid dazing

Kittenwolf
2011-12-15, 06:20 PM
Arc looks at the oncoming cleaver-wielding creatures and grins before casting Battletide

Battletide targeting all the cleaver-wielders and if the big guy is within 30ft of the cleaver guy furthest away from him, him as well (ie, 'no two targets can be more than 30ft apart').
School: Transmutation
Save: Will
DC: 20
SR: Yes
If they fail they take a -2 circumstance penalty on saving throws, attack rolls, and damage rolls.
Also sharing the beneficial part of the effect with Luminia.

If anyone is affected Arc & Luminia both get an extra partial action, so Arc will fire his Lightning breath weapon at the big guy:

Empowered Persistent Dragon's Breath spell. 30ft line of Electricity, 12d8 damage, DC 24 Reflex (half).
Arc's damage: [roll0]
Recharge time: [roll1]

Luminia will then fly them up and past the cleaver mobs and the big guy, hitting the big guy with her Dragon breath weapon as she goes past. Aim is to end up about 40ft in the air, 30ft past the big guy.

Standard Breath Weapons. 30ft cone of Fire, 2d10 damage, DC16 Reflex (half)
Damage: [roll2]
Recharge time: [roll3]
Time left on Dragon's Breath Recharge: 3 rounds.

2xMachina
2011-12-16, 01:08 PM
Talle becomes a blur as he moves towards the big guy, running around in it's reach, as if taunting it to take a swipe at him before stepping back to 10' away, just in the reach of his chain before slashing it twice.

In Punishing Stance
Activate Robilar's Gambit, -2AC, take 2 more damage on hit
(AC 26, 50% concealment from Blurred Alacrity, if I'm attacked, I get an AoO)
Move 40', triggering Expeditious Dodge, +1 dodge AC
AC27
If he takes an AoO at me (Mobility, +4 AC on AoO = AC31):
Elusive Target (Cause Overreach): To use this maneuver, you must provoke an attack of opportunity from a foe by moving out of a threatened square. If the foe misses you, you can make a free trip attempt against this foe, and the foe does not get a chance to trip you if your attempt fails.

[roll0] (+Knowledge devotion) for [roll1] (+Knowledge devotion)
[roll2] (+Knowledge devotion) for [roll3] (+Knowledge devotion)

Only take 1 AoO, using the rest to fuel Stormguard Warrior.

PersonMan
2011-12-16, 04:00 PM
Initiative
Big Monster: 11
Evil fatso-things: -3 (4)

Talle's vicious attacks both slide off of the beast's thick hide, the barbs of the spiked chain unable to rip through such strong material.

Rident's blast of energy has a greater effect, breaking the focus of the creature for a moment. Although it is reeling from the sheer force of the attack, it seems like the creature isn't truly injured, somehow...

In a stroke of luck, one of the waddling beast-soldiers manages to come close to resisting Arc's spell. None of them are able to do so, however, and he soon feels energy flowing into him from them. His lightning is partially dodged by the staggering of the creature, and it's passing sears the air not far from Talle. Lumina's flames seem to do little to the great beast, although it is clearly barely standing by now. None of your attacks seem to be doing more than smacking it around, but it won't be able to take much more before dropping if you continue to do so.

The quartet of beasts waddle around Arc, cutting the air around him in a stunning display of incompetence. They come closer to killing each other than they do to hitting the kobold.

Talle is up.

DM:
NL: 167

Saves:
Ref: [roll0]

Ref: [roll1]

Ref: [roll2]

Fatso:
Will: [roll3]
Will: [roll4]
Will: [roll5]
Will: [roll6]

Talle:
Dark Knowledge is giving a +1 for the big guy.

2xMachina
2011-12-17, 06:49 AM
"What's the matter? Can't hit me?", Talle taunts as he moves in again, dancing just in reach of the big guy. He observes it, concentrating to hit it just right.

Move around near the big guy, provoking AoO

Use Ruby Nightmare Blade
Concentration check with DC=AC of target [roll0]
If pass: Double damage. Else -2 to attack roll

[roll1] for [roll2]
(I forgot the +3 from my Iron Heart weapon earlier, as well as Dark Knowledge (I assume it's same as Knowledge Devotion check, so +1)

Emperor Ing
2011-12-17, 09:51 AM
Rident unleashes an almighty roar at the diabolic visage of the other being, snapping his head forward to locking his jaws around the flesh of the dying* monstrosity. <It will be us who bring about the end of days! Not you.> He proclaims in Infernal.

Nom attack using Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Conc Check
[roll0]
(if passes AC, double damage)
Attack and damage roll
[roll1]
[roll2]

PersonMan
2011-12-17, 10:36 AM
Initiative
Big Monster: 11 (KO)
Evil fatso-things: -3 (4)

Despite seeming to be in no danger of death from your pounding, the large beast falls, its body swelling and pulsing as its wounds close. It's alive, but unconscious.

The obese evil beasts appear unaffected by the death of their ally.

Arc is up.

DM:
NL: 195

OOC:
This post brought to you by 'Attack of the Nightmare Blades!'

Seriously, you both used X Nightmare Blade.

Kittenwolf
2011-12-17, 08:14 PM
Feeling slightly sad at not having an X Nightmare Blade attack, Arc fires off a Wings of Flurry spell, targeted in such a way as to get all the cleaver guys, and if it's possible to get him without getting any allies or bystanders, the big guy as well.

Using bonus partial action from Battletide
Spell: Wings of Flurry (Races of the Dragon)
Range: 30ft
Area: 30ft radius burst
Save: Reflex DC24
Damage: 13d6 (force damage) [roll0]

If they're all still alive after that then I'll fire off another one, same targets.

Spell: Wings of Flurry (Races of the Dragon)
Range: 30ft
Area: 30ft radius burst
Save: Reflex DC24
Damage: 13d6 (force damage) [roll1]

If they're all or mostly dead, then I'll use Scorching Ray at whatever is left standing instead/

Spell: Scorching Ray(PHB)
Range: Close
Save: None

Ray 1: Touch Attack [roll2], damage [roll3]
Ray 2: Touch Attack [roll4], damage [roll5]
Ray 3:Touch Attack [roll6], damage [roll7]

Recharge
Arc's breath weapon: 3 rounds
Lumis' spell breath weapon: 2 rounds
Lumi's main breath weapon: 1 round

PersonMan
2011-12-18, 03:35 AM
Arc blows all of his obese opponents away, his spellcasting unhindered by their attempts to strike at him with their cleavers. After a moment the corpses begin to fizzle and pop, darkening near the bottom as if being baked by the street before bursting into flame and vanishing entirely, leaving only soiled cloaks behind.

Combat is over.

Kittenwolf
2011-12-18, 05:02 AM
Luminia lands well away from the bubbling mess that remains of their foes. "Eew, what were those things?"
"I wouldn't mind knowing that either"
Arc pokes the big unconcious guy
"And what's this thing? It's still alive"

Arc casts Lore of the Gods (+5 insight bonus to Knowledge checks for the next couple of hours)

Knowledge checks to identify:
Arc
Arcane: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]
Planes: [roll2]

Luminia
Dungeoneering: [roll3]
Nature: [roll4]
Arcane: [roll5]
Religion: [roll6]
Planes: [roll7]

Emperor Ing
2011-12-18, 10:15 AM
Huh, I have never fought Devils before. Rident remarks as he brings a metallic leg down on the creature's head. Everyone...okay? The Hypt Dragon's awkwardness is returning.

Coup-De-Grace against the big guy

Knowledge (Planes)
[roll0]

PersonMan
2011-12-19, 11:47 AM
The beast is clearly alive, although Rident's smash causes further scar tissue to form. You notice that some of the first scars are beginning to slowly fade.

Luminia:
This beast is a creature from the Nine Hells which uses brute force rather than finesse while fighting. The name is usually commonized as 'melbranch', although the original Infernal means 'great smasher'.

It has an incredibly powerful healing ability which can only be pierced by weapons or spells exalted by the Upper Planes

DM:
[roll0]

Fort: [roll1]

Kittenwolf
2011-12-19, 06:04 PM
Luminia pokes the creature a couple of times and then looks up at the party "I'm pretty sure it's a Melbranch, one of those 'might makes right' Devils that likes to break things. Does anyone have any Holy weapons? We need those to hurt it properly"

Emperor Ing
2011-12-19, 10:23 PM
Holy weapons? Ugh...surely...wait, is...is there a church nearby? You know, holy church? He remarks as he brings the claw down on the creature's head again

Coup-de-grace

PersonMan
2011-12-20, 12:10 PM
Everyone:
You don't remember seeing a specifically...holy-looking church nearby.

2xMachina
2011-12-21, 07:21 AM
Talle says, I don't remember seeing any. Maybe we can try drowning it. Or stick him in a volcano till he starves... Or drowns from the lava. as he smashes his chain into the creatures head.

Coup de grace to keep it unconscious.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-22, 04:32 PM
After bringing his claw down a second time, the green pinpoints within his shadowed eye sockets look around for the necromancer. Hey uhh...Tolis. Do you have anything...you know...which can-can keep this thing dead? You know, if you want. I mean...uhh...if you don't want to, I mean that's fine too...I think.

PersonMan
2012-01-05, 09:53 AM
No, unfortunately I don't. From what I know about these sorts of creatures, however, I think that drowning would be quite effective. A more pressing matter, however, is how we will explain this to the watch. Tolis replies after a moment of searching through her memory. I believe that it won't need to eat or sleep, but if we simply pound it so hard that it stays unconscious for a while we can just keep it underwater until it drowns. The necromancer continues, stepping forwards from a shadowy corner from where she had observed the battle. Although, I'm curious as to why assassins from the Nine Hells were sent to do this. Perhaps the devils have a stake in this battle as well? I have heard rumors of hellfire being used by some of the armies in the south.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-06, 08:46 PM
They are...no wait, they...umm...they-they are ACTORS in this...this war. The stuttering Hypt Dragon tries to shrink himself with limited success They...could be a...manipulated party. You know...yes? No. They...they were manipulated. Because, no wait. Someone told them, we could tip...turn the tide of the war against the, um...forces of the uhh...lower plains.

Or...umm...it's a diversion. An action to force us to make-have, no...make-make-come to an irrelevant, no. An action to have us come to the wrong conclusion. Yes, that's it.

Kittenwolf
2012-01-07, 08:59 AM
"Perhaps we should secure it, let it wake up and then question it?"

Emperor Ing
2012-01-07, 10:54 AM
Well that, could work. I think...I mean...if you think it's a good idea...

2xMachina
2012-01-08, 02:07 PM
Hmm, yes, that sounds good.

Talle turns towards the necromancer and asks, If you don't mind, do you have any place to keep it?

PersonMan
2012-01-10, 01:03 PM
Tolis raises an eyebrow, clearly amused by Talle's question. No, I don't have any good place to stow a massive devil that the authorities will almost certainly be looking for. She says, chuckling.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-13, 08:18 PM
Well, uhh...where do we go to drown it, uh, him. It.

2xMachina
2012-01-18, 01:57 PM
Hmm, well, I suppose there's no harm if the authorities want it. Maybe we can offer our services to interrogate it. Let's just hope they're competent enough, and don't have bad intentions.

PersonMan
2012-01-20, 03:37 PM
Tolis nods. Although there's always the question of what to do in the meantime. We're at war, so it probably won't take long for a few men to be sent to investigate, but I think some tea would be nice. Better than just standing around, at least. The necromancer says. Kty'z, fetch. Nerasali, if you could help it...? The jackal-man steps into view again, nodding at Tolis' request and going through a door into another dark room.

Anyways, where was I, before we were interrupted? The necromancer asks after a moment.

Emperor Ing
2012-01-20, 04:39 PM
Well um...yes. The Hypt Dragon remarks, clearly back to his normal, awkward self. You, umm...were talking about theeee....the r-Rilmani. And that they...umm, yes. They...think war-war is the inevitable result of, what they, uhh...the Rilmani I mean, yeah. What they think are extreme moral views. And the wars...are going to happen...because, uhh...they are so extreme...