PDA

View Full Version : The Bards Song? Advice needed.

Krazzman
2011-10-08, 08:37 AM
Hello again Playground.

Since somehow my threads keep getting inactive I'll have to start a new one...again.

For those that are still interested in my struggle to build good and effective characters here's the latest state:

Our party should consist out of: 1 ?? Paladin? (or warrior still not so sure about that one), 1 Elven Wizard (going Ultimate Magus), 1 Human Shapechange Ranger, 1 Human Bard (going Dragon Disciple).

I thought about wielding a nodachi/falchion and grant the ranger (via butterfly sting) my crits, while providing the paladin with flanking boni and so on.

Still not sure about the feats, if I should do this Crit granting at all or if i should better take powerattack at level 3 (instead of butterfly sting).

But back to topic. I wanted to take Perform: Sing, Perform: Dance and maybe Perform: String Instrument. But therefore I'm in need of some songs I could "copy" from other artists.

So far the lyrics and rythm of "Battle Hymn" from "Manowar" seems to be fitting for him.

But can you advice some drinking songs? Or other tavern-y songs? Songs for marching?
(I was inspired to search myself after listening to My Jolly Sailor but spent now 4 hours with just finding one fitting song...)

Hope you can again help me.

Unseenmal
2011-10-08, 10:34 AM
Brian Bowers "The Scotsman". You should be able to refluff that to be dwarf instead of Scotsman

Well a Scotsman clad in kilt left the bar one evening fair
One could tell by how he walked that he'd drunk more than his share
He fumbled round until he could no longer keep his feet
Then he stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

Ring-ding-did-a-little-la-di-oh, Ring-di-diddly-eye-oh,
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street

About that time two young n' lovely girls just happened by
One says to the other with a twinkle in her eye
"See yon sleeping Scotsman so strong and handsome built,
I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt."

I wonder if it's true what they don't wear beneath the kilt

They crept up on that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be
Lifted up his kilt about an inch so they could see
And there behold for them to view beneath his Scottish skirt
Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

Was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth

They marveled for a moment then one said, "We must be gone.
Let's leave a present for our friend before we move along."
As a gift they left a blue silk ribbon tied into a bow
Around the bonnie star the Scot's kilt did lift and show.
Around the bonnie star the Scot's kilt did lift and show.

Now the Scotsman woke to nature's call and stumbled towards the trees
Behind a bush he lift his kilt and gawks at what he sees
And in a startled voice he says to what's before his eyes
"Ah, lad I don't know you've been but I see you won first prize."

"Ah, lad I don't know you've been but I see you won first prize."

Also try THIS WIKI page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Grail_of_Irish_Drinking_Songs) for famous Irish drinking songs

Morbis Meh
2011-10-08, 10:46 AM
Drunken Lullabys- Floggen Molley
I've got friends in Low Places- Garth Brooks (only country song I like)

Dictum Mortuum
2011-10-08, 10:47 AM
I like Two Steps from Hell, you might something that you like from them for marching - they're pretty epic.
Example - Sons of War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIMQElwqUk)

Krazzman
2011-10-08, 11:22 AM
Brian Bowers "The Scotsman".

Awesome :D

Drunken Lullabys- Floggen Molley
I've got friends in Low Places- Garth Brooks (only country song I like)

Jeah, Floggin Molly is awesome but since I would prefer to avoid Perform: String Instrument if it could go, the sound of their songs isn't that thing I'm searching for.

An example for what I'm searching is Blind Guardian - the Bard's song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tORtmKIjE).

I like Two Steps from Hell, you might something that you like from them for marching - they're pretty epic.
Example - Sons of War

Yeah, thats pretty damn sweet epic but I would prefer things with more text, like ballads, songs to inspire courage, to make the trip feel lighter like: the Doom song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcn_TPu4qQ).

Hope that there are new Ideas, sorry if I sound harsh.

Medic!
2011-10-08, 11:25 AM
The bard in my camaign right now insists on singing nothing but songs from The Bard's Tale...he does a good "Here's to the Bard" but his "Beer, Beer, Beer" needs work.

Tease your paladin, sing Whiskey in the Jar

lord pringle
2011-10-08, 11:46 AM
Where there's a whip there's a way. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y)

graeylin
2011-10-08, 12:11 PM
Almost any old Irish or Scottish patriotic song would work, just change the occasional lyric to fit your world.

Bonnie George Campbell
Black and Tan
Skyeboat song
Hills of Tyrol
ad infinitum...

Hanuman
2011-10-08, 12:49 PM
Check out the feat Versatile Performer, it makes it so rank in 1 perform effects all perform.

I would suggest learning an instrument, I'd give my players a +2 if they can play well hands down.

Zaq
2011-10-08, 01:56 PM
Depends on if you're planning on being the background music or the group leader. Do you want the other characters (and, more importantly, the other players) singing along with you, or do you just want to be setting the tone in the background?

danzibr
2011-10-08, 02:20 PM
An example for what I'm searching is Blind Guardian - the Bard's song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tORtmKIjE).
Darn, beat me to it.

Gwendol
2011-10-08, 02:50 PM
Tavern song: I'm a man you don't meet every day (The Pogues, Rum, Sodomy and the Lash record)

I use Sound of silence (Simon & Garfunkel) to inspire competence when we're supposed to be sneaky :-)

The Queen has a "March of the Black Queen"... not sure much else than the title fits though...

mootoall
2011-10-08, 03:19 PM
The Wolfe Tones have the best songs for Inspire Courage. They do my favorite covers of Black and Tans and The Ballad of Kevin Barry.