PDA

View Full Version : What does Daddy do now?

denthor
2011-10-08, 05:46 PM
I just realized Daddy did not see the end of the fight.

He offered Roy his freedom if he won. Well to join his army anyway.

Atcote
2011-10-08, 06:14 PM
Assuming Tarquin/Daddy is going to stick to his usual rule-bending shenanigans, he'll probably hold that either leaving the ring or the fact that the fight couldn't be seen (thus justifying the cost and amusing the crowd - also, killing a crowd favourite, which may not go down great).

So, I'm going to take a random stab here and say Roy will not go through traditional channels to get out of there.

NerfTW
2011-10-08, 07:59 PM
Roy and Belkar are perfectly capable of breaking out on their own. But even if Tarquin did run into them, he'd probably listen to "hey, those are my buddies, we need the info on Girard and then we need to leave". He's already shown a willingness to work with Elan's quest, there's no reason to think he'd be a rule stickler when it comes to two members of his son's party that Elan went out of his way not to break out.

That's assuming nothing major occurs that upsets the current "Tarquin wants to help Elan" balance. But it certainly won't be "Oh, hey, that gladiator is part of my son's party!".

Geech
2011-10-08, 10:00 PM
Assuming Tarquin/Daddy is going to stick to his usual rule-bending shenanigans, he'll probably hold that either leaving the ring or the fact that the fight couldn't be seen (thus justifying the cost and amusing the crowd - also, killing a crowd favourite, which may not go down great).

So, I'm going to take a random stab here and say Roy will not go through traditional channels to get out of there.

I don't know about that. Tarquin openly discussed wanting to see Roy get rid of Thog in comic 788 (www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0788.html) when he says, "I couldn't just slit his throat in the night. . . I have pretty high hopes for this new guy, though. I think he's got what it takes to win."

Furthermore, although the spectators could not see the end of the fight, the one already referred to it as the best fight of the season. Going into the stands and collapsing part of the arena is a pretty epic ending to a what was already a huge fight. It's easy to imagine that people would talk about it for years to come. Sure it's expensive, but I think the fight probably delivered beyond Tarquin's expectations.

Atcote
2011-10-08, 11:10 PM
That's certainly possible - and it's doubtful many have a strong emotional connection to Thog as more than a fighter. Many may actually like or at least not mind the switch from 'Silly Idiot Half-Orc' to 'Badass Bald Human'.

However, the problem is that winning results in Roy (who I think still has rounds to go yet) being recruited in Tarquin's army - so unless we're going to see a few years of military service from Roy, it's unlikely that Tarquin's going to have much to do with him getting out of there.

ORione
2011-10-08, 11:38 PM
However, the problem is that winning results in Roy (who I think still has rounds to go yet) being recruited in Tarquin's army - so unless we're going to see a few years of military service from Roy, it's unlikely that Tarquin's going to have much to do with him getting out of there.

Well, Tarquin made that offer without knowing that Elan and Roy are working together on the save-the-world thing. That might change things.

Dalek-K
2011-10-09, 01:15 AM
Please remember that Roy has saved Elan on multiple occasions (even from Nale way back when). Also Elan thinks of Roy as the (Good) brother.

There is no way Tarquin would pull him ....

Wait...

Roy does get recruited... To serve as Elan's personal body guard as he goes on his quest to save the world... Roy is to make sure Elan comes back some day to defeat Tarquin XD

EDIT: Him = Tarquin

GSFB
2011-10-09, 01:34 AM
Or... Roy meets up with Belkar, and with all their stuff back they hook up with Durkon and Haley and Elan and (probably fairly quickly) V, and working together they can stand up to a fairly blasse Tarquin well enough and go about their business.

King of Nowhere
2011-10-09, 06:01 AM
I think tarquin really wants to recruit roy. He's high lkevel, he's a precious resource for tarquin, no reason to keep him in the arena just for the evulz.
Of couyrse, what tarquin (maybe) don't know is that he's in the party with elan, so that will change things somehow.
The idea that he will be assigned as bodyguard to elan could happen.

ORione
2011-10-09, 11:19 AM
Roy does get recruited... To serve as Elan's personal body guard as he goes on his quest to save the world... Roy is to make sure Elan comes back some day to defeat Tarquin XD

Oh, that would be awesome. I hope it happens.

NerfTW
2011-10-09, 11:24 AM

EDIT: Him = Tarquin

That.... would be an awesomely hilarious way to wrap up the current arc. No stilted explanation about why they were hiding. Instead, just smile and nod, and thank Tarquin for the "new" bodyguards. :smallbiggrin: