PDA

View Full Version : Talented Researcher (PEACH)

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-08, 06:26 PM
Talented Researcher

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9287/wizardbystefanatserk.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/wizardbystefanatserk.jpg/)

Rathin Mahovek, a Talented Researcher, preparing to tackle some arcane research.

Most Wizards are content to learn tried-and-true spells. The staples of being a wizard such as Magic Missile, Shield and Fireball. Some chose to create their own, sometimes securing a place in history such as Mordenkainen, Bigby and the infamous Melf. These are the Talented Researchers.

Becoming a Talented Researcher
Talented Researchers are almost exclusively Wizards, as Sorcerer's tend to spend their precious spell slots on spells that are versatile, rather than something they might only use once in a while.

Entry Requirements
Feats: Any metamagic feat
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (Any) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd level Arcane Spells
Special: Must have created a spell with the character's name in it.

Hit Dice: d4
Skill Points each level: 2+Intelligence Modifier
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft.

Talented Researcher
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Alphabetical Knowledge|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Book Catalogue|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Masterful Research|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Talented Researchers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Alphabetized Knowledge: Normally, when you fail a Knowledge check, you cannot try again because you cannot remember what you don't know! This allows you to 'try again' once on any knowledge check after you fail it. If you fail a second time, you cannot try again until 1 week later.

Book Catalogue: At 2nd level, the Researcher has assembled a tome cataloging many known books that cover the theoretical aspect of spells. This allows him to add his Talented Researcher levels to the Spellcraft DC to determine whether a new spell is viable. In addition, researching a new spell takes one less week if the spell is researched in a metropolis.

Experienced Researcher: At 3rd level, the Researcher has learned many tricks of research: when to set a book down and look elsewhere, which books are wild goose chases- and when the person you hired for advice is giving you the middle one. Researching a new spell only costs 500gp per week.

There it is, my first PrC. Tell me how it is!

Mulletmanalive
2011-10-08, 07:01 PM
The prequisites are pretty steep for what you get. I'd be tempted to make it Knowledge [Arcana], Knowledge [any] and Spellcraft on the skills line.

With no martial abilities or prerequisites, it should be BAB 1/2.

The Will save is non-standard. In 3.5, it is almost always the case that saves follow either the +2, +3, +3, +4 ettc or the +0, +0, +1, +1 etc scale. If we're talking Pathfinder, then the scales are +0, +1 x3, +2 x3, +3 x3 etc [poor] or +1 x2, +2 x2 etc. Probably want to fix that anyway, not that there was anything wrong with that scale on a 3 level class, it would just ge stupid over more levels.

Alphabetised knowledge is pretty potent when combined with certain classes but not game breaking.

The other two aren't broken as the level assignment of spells is still with the GM, so there's no problem there.

Overall, solid first attempt, only the BAB was a glaring problem and it's neither particularly powerful nor does it have a loss thanks to the 1/1 casting advvancement...

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-08, 07:20 PM
Changed the BAB problem and shifted the Will progression to start at +2. I'm considering moving Alphabetized knowledge to third level, would it help?

Mulletmanalive
2011-10-08, 07:48 PM
Reading it again, i don't suppose that's necessary: i forget that all such effects that i didn't design tend to be sliding scale effects ["if you win by 10, x happens"] so this wouldn't change much.

DracoDei
2011-10-11, 04:22 PM
Nice little class. Recommend adding the word "ranks" after each "8" in the requirements section, and removing the "+".

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-11, 06:28 PM
Edited those bits.

flabort
2011-10-11, 07:46 PM
I've always got my eye out for good homebrew PrCs to add to my collection of "approved" PrCs for Dessert Iron chef. This is pretty nice, but one I'd see more often applied to NPCs than PCs. So, unfortunately, this is not one I'd use for my contest. :smallfrown:

But, because this is a nice work, especially/even for a First Try, I'll be looking forward to future works from you, should you make more PrCs. :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

SmileyFaceOfRom
2011-10-11, 09:09 PM
Thank you very much flabort. I have a very bad need for... fluffy balance, and I do intend to contribute to these forums some more. I tend to favor spellcasting in any RPG game... the amazing versatility and fluffiness of many games/novels bring to the table gives me so many ideas. :smallsmile: