PDA

View Full Version : Sublime Chord build: final battle.

Rinomi
2011-10-08, 08:51 PM
The next session that I'm playing in is the last session of the current campaign. The final battle is going to be super difficult against a depowered deity. I'm not sure of its specific stats, all I know is it will be difficult. So far in the campaign my bard has gotten away with random, situational feat, equipment, and spell choices and has done very well with them but this is different and I am lost.

The DM has given us 10 free levels through plot and my build is effectively:

Bard 5, Lyric Theurge 3, Wild Soul 2, Sublime Chord 2(for the song of arcane power which increases my caster level by 4), and Wild Soul 8. This fills out to 20 levels, my main problem however are Feats, Spells, and Magic Items. Effectively I guess I'm comparable to a Sorcerer as far as all this goes but as I've never played a seriously build high level character, I'm a bit lost.

I have 4 feats, 750k gold, and for spells known I have 4 for spell levels 4-7, 3 for spell level 8, and 2 for spell level 9.

Since it's going to be a tough one I assume that Ill at least need a metamagic rod of silent spell, a tome of charisma boosting, cloak of charisma +6. Beyond this I have no clue, my inspire is already optimized but I'd like to be a viable party member with buffs and beatdown abilities against this uber boss.

Thank your for any help and suggestions that you can give this poor Bard.

Randomguy
2011-10-08, 11:17 PM
For spells, get plenty of abjurations. If you expect the boss to have mind affecting spells, get mind blank. Energy immunity is good if the boss has a favoured element. Another good spell is mass resist energy. Also, for when you just don't want to be hit, there's ironguard, a spell that makes you intangible to all metal, and therefore immune to all metal weapons, for one round per level. It's good to cast on people not wearing too much metal armour. Some healing spells are always nice.
For direct damage, force orb tends to be awesome because nothing is resistant to force, it goes through spell resistance and there's no saving throw. It's damage is a bit on the low end, but you can make it more awesome via metamagic feats.
For ninth level spells, you'll need time stop. Casting it gives time to buff everyone up. It also gives you the chance for a pirahana death trap: Cast time stop, then vortex of teeth as many times as you can manage. When time stop ends, they'll be ripped to shreds. You might choose not to use that though, you don't have too many spell slots.
Antimagic ray would be a decent spell, on the off chance the target fails a will save.
Celerity and greater celerity are great for rocket tag.
True seeing would be nice so that you don't fall for invisibility and illusions, but then again if you have a high enough spellcraft to recognize a spell as an illusion then go for see invisibility. Arcane sight, or greater arcane sight if you prefer, to find out how your enemy is buffed will be good. Greater dispel magic is a must. Remember you can suppress magic items with it.
See if you can convince your DM to let you take Arcane Fusion and the greater version: Normally it's sorcerer only, but you cast spontaneously using Charisma just like a sorcerer.
Assay resistance would be great.
Benign transposition lets you switch an injured/squishy party member with one that's in heavy armour.
Some area control spells would be nice. If you only get one, get freezing fog. It's solid fog (only you can only move 5 feet) +grease that also deals some damage over time.
If you don't mind being a little evil, learn Avasculate, and hit the baddie with arcane fusion Assay Resistance+Avasculate to get him down to half health in the first round.

For magic items, get something to boost your constitution so that you don't die too often.
You can get spellglyph staffs, either premade or custom made, to increase your spells known. More metamagic rods would be nice, especially one for quicken. An intelligent ring of telekinesis and a small stockpile of cheap weapons will let you help break the action economy a bit. Also, see if you can get a flying carpet and mount an intelligent counterspelling trap on it to help nullify the deitie's magic. An eternal wand (Heck, if it's for a boss fight and nothing else a regular wand would do just fine) with a high caster level is great for some spells: if you get one of greater magic weapon, you can get a weapon that's only +1 with a lot of special abilities and then use the wand to make it +5. A wand of Girallon's blessing will let your fighter friend dual-wield greatswords. A staff or two would be good to let you blast. (One could have vortex of teeth in it.)

For feats: Rapid metamagic would be good since it would let you take quicken spell and actually quicken your spells. Melodic casting lets you use preform instead of concentration, and it lets you cast spells while using bardic music. Spell penetration might also be nice, if you decide to take it instead of using assay resistance every once in a while. Improved initiative is great, since the earlier you act the better.

Acanous
2011-10-08, 11:45 PM
Grab the Regalia of the Hero (MiC). It's cheap, lets you spam the entire party with some light DR, and has some nice bonuses. You're likely not using the 2 slots it takes up, anyhow.

I have a Bard/Marshal/Heir of Syberis build that, with three feats, basically lets you grant your entire party 3 extra full round actions once per level, but you're going casty, so probably don't want to lose the caster levels.

Hirax
2011-10-09, 12:33 AM
Have you considered Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil? It has the whole 'don't die, ever' concept. Take 1 level of archmage after that and you can put a donut AMF around yourself.

Greyfell
2011-10-09, 12:42 AM
equipment: Belt of Battle. Extra actions rock.

are you going to try and Inspire Courage on the party, or will someone else be giving Morale Bonuses? If you'll be doing the buffing, I'd look here for cheap ways to increase your Inspire bonus.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=kl6ncivof630r4v0i932753jm0&topic=9830.0

Off the top of my head and from my experience, I'd get a wand of Inspirational Boost and the item "Badge of Valor". Those will give an extra +2 for cheap. If you want to use feats also, Song of the Heart (eberron campaign setting) and "Words of Creation" (Book of exalted Deeds) also help.

If your worried about running out of spells and/or will be taking it easy on buffing with songs, Lyrical Spell can let you burn extra songs per day to get more spells off. Also, 'Versatile Spellcaster' will let you exchange two of a lower level spell for one of the next level up, as many times as you want.

are you seelie or unseelie in regards to your Wild Soul prestige?

Psyren
2011-10-09, 02:06 AM
Have you considered Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil? It has the whole 'don't die, ever' concept. Take 1 level of archmage after that and you can put a donut AMF around yourself.

"Donut AMFs" don't actually do as much as people think. Yeah you can cast spells out of them, but any spells cast at you - say, your standard lightning bolt or even a magic missile - will be suppressed while in the torus and reactivate once they hit your island of active magic, frying you.

The notable exceptions are burst spells like fireball (if they are centered in the no-magic zone, they won't explode to hurt you even if you'd be in their area), and summoned creatures (who wink out and won't be able to get any closer to you unless you move into the area where they vanished.)

Hirax
2011-10-09, 02:17 AM
"Donut AMFs" don't actually do as much as people think. Yeah you can cast spells out of them, but any spells cast at you - say, your standard lightning bolt or even a magic missile - will be suppressed while in the torus and reactivate once they hit your island of active magic, frying you.

The notable exceptions are burst spells like fireball (if they are centered in the no-magic zone, they won't explode to hurt you even if you'd be in their area), and summoned creatures (who wink out and won't be able to get any closer to you unless you move into the area where they vanished.)

Right. But that's why I suggested Iot7. First the attacker needs to penetrate the AMF, then they need to penetrate the veils. Melee attackers will be screwed even more since they'll only get their ability mod and base saves to get through the veils. Meanwhile project image or similar means you can cast just fine.

Rinomi
2011-10-09, 02:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate it. I've actually already done some inspire courage optimization its just the spell casting aspect im scared aboutmy classes are pretty much set in stone, the abilities of the classes boost my enchantment and illusion spells as well as gives me extra spells, spell like abilities, bonus feats, and other nifty things, spells, equips, and feats are my real concern in the current build