PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Domains

DrMike105
2011-10-08, 09:02 PM
So here's the deal: I would like to make a witch-doctor type build. Some healing, curses/debuffs, divination, maybe some summoning. Arcane has what I need except for the healing, but that's the least important part. What I was really looking at, however, was the Spirit Shaman from C.Div. The class features have exactly the flavor I want (dealing with the spirits/loa). The only problem with it is that it uses the druid spell list, which has none of the cursy/debuffy bits I want. So my question is: Can I easily get bonus domains in a non-cleric divine casty class, and how early can I get them? Possibilities include Hate, Madness, Oracle, and Suffering domains (done with the understanding that I'll be neutral at best).

Sources include everything 3.5, barring Pathfinder, and Dragon Mag is iffy at best.

I'm hoping I won't have to resort to begging the DM to make it a cleric casty list, rather than druid.

JackRackham
2011-10-08, 09:09 PM
So here's the deal: I would like to make a witch-doctor type build. Some healing, curses/debuffs, divination, maybe some summoning. Arcane has what I need except for the healing, but that's the least important part. What I was really looking at, however, was the Spirit Shaman from C.Div. The class features have exactly the flavor I want (dealing with the spirits/loa). The only problem with it is that it uses the druid spell list, which has none of the cursy/debuffy bits I want. So my question is: Can I easily get bonus domains in a non-cleric divine casty class, and how early can I get them? Possibilities include Hate, Madness, Oracle, and Suffering domains (done with the understanding that I'll be neutral at best).

Sources include everything 3.5, barring Pathfinder, and Dragon Mag is iffy at best.

I'm hoping I won't have to resort to begging the DM to make it a cleric casty list, rather than druid.
I think it's easier to refluff a class that has the mechanics you want (sorcerer, spontaneous cleric, etc) than re-engineer the mechanics of a class that has the fluff you're looking for. I don't know if that helps.

mootoall
2011-10-08, 09:10 PM
Contemplative can be accessed by any divine casting class, but you run into the problem of having access to a domain, but having no domain slots to cast them in.

DrMike105
2011-10-08, 09:13 PM
I looked at contemplative, but the fact that I couldn't take it until level 11 kinda bummed me out.

Big Fau
2011-10-08, 09:16 PM
Sovereign Speaker, from Faiths of Eberron, gets a bonus domain at every level.

Gaiyamato
2011-10-08, 09:35 PM

This. 10 bonus Domains of awesomeness. Misses 2 caster levels though if I recall correctly.

Necroticplague
2011-10-08, 09:42 PM
Rainbow servant gets 3 bonus domains, though its for arcane casting classes and the domains are pre-selected (good, law, something), but its a full-casting class (text>table), and gets some decent class features (with a very good capstone).

Kaje
2011-10-08, 09:47 PM
Her's a question. Does a sword of the arcane order mystic ranger with arxcane disciple(law) have access to the law domain for the purposes of sapphire hierarch??

Cog
2011-10-08, 11:03 PM
Her's a question. Does a sword of the arcane order mystic ranger with arxcane disciple(law) have access to the law domain for the purposes of sapphire hierarch??
Access to a domain is usually considered to mean both the spells and the power; Arcane Disciple doesn't grant the latter.

DrMike105
2011-10-09, 09:40 AM

Perfect and easily refluffable. Now I just need another domain to meet the entry requirements.

sreservoir
2011-10-09, 10:10 AM
if you take spells retrieved to be analogous to spells known, then by complete divine, you can just pick your spells out of the domain lists.

anyway, divine oracle shouldn't be too hard, though you'll need to get know (religion) somehow. I suggest either knowledge devotion (complete champion, can't really be taken until 3) or educated (ECS is the only one that isn't setting-specific, but it's also in a bunch of other places).

get SF (know (religion)) from frog god's fane in complete scoundrel, or just take it if necessary. one-level dip gets just the domain, two levels also gets evasion-plus.

keep in mind, you will be setting feats on fire.

I'd suggest going loremaster later in the build to recover one of those feats you used, if you have the int.

hex0
2011-10-09, 04:14 PM
This. 10 bonus Domains of awesomeness. Misses 2 caster levels though if I recall correctly.

It gives you some domain slots as well. Might be worth it.

DrMike105
2011-10-09, 04:17 PM
Again, it's a great class, but I need a domain to qualify for it, and I don't want to be a cleric.

mootoall
2011-10-09, 04:45 PM
Again, it's a great class, but I need a domain to qualify for it, and I don't want to be a cleric.

Hmm, Domain Wizard plus Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment? It gets you both pieces of a domain, just seperately.

nedz
2011-10-09, 04:55 PM
Adept from the DMG is an [NPC] base class which is ment to fill this role.

DrMike105
2011-10-09, 09:57 PM
Hmm, Domain Wizard plus Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment? It gets you both pieces of a domain, just seperately.

The touchstone is possible. I have already been informed that the Domain Wizard is a no-no. For some reason the DM is against giving a tier 1 class some free spells with no downside. I can't understand why.

Vemynal
2011-10-09, 10:02 PM
Why not just ask the GM if you can be a Witch from PF?

Gaiyamato
2011-10-10, 04:23 PM
Perfect and easily refluffable. Now I just need another domain to meet the entry requirements.

Go for Divine Oracle, very easy.

Spirit Shaman 5/Divine Oracle 1/Sovereign Speaker 10/Contemplative 4

:)

Or:

Shugenja 5/Divine Oracle 1/Sovereign Speaker 10/Contemplative 4

nedz
2011-10-10, 05:59 PM
Why not just ask the GM if you can be a Witch from PF?

Actually there's a Witch class in the DMG. IIRC its a Sorceror with a modified spell list.

So here's the deal: I would like to make a witch-doctor type build. Some healing, curses/debuffs, divination, maybe some summoning. All of that, well excpet you get illusions rather than summonings.