PDA

View Full Version : Wings

Xcalber
2011-10-08, 11:09 PM
I'm trying to get wings for my cleric and I was just wondering what the best way to go about that is? I'm not really looking for a magical item. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Curious
2011-10-08, 11:11 PM
Maybe. . . Grafts? Failing that, Wings of Flying.

Serpentine
2011-10-08, 11:12 PM
What's your race, etc? I mean, the easiest right off the bat is a race with wings - like raptoran. The next, off the top of my head, is most likely Aasimar (including lesser or homebrewed versions) -> various celestial heritage feats. Sorcerer -> sorcerer bloodline -> various celestial heritage feats is also an option.

skycycle blues
2011-10-08, 11:14 PM
You can always (assuming you have access to Races of the Dragon) go Dragonborn of Bahamut. You can gain some wings off that as long as you're OK with looking like a dragon.

candycorn
2011-10-08, 11:19 PM
mundane flight:
Dragonblooded + Dragon wings + 3rd feat at level 6
Dragonborn (Wing option) - Flight at level 6
Raptoran - +1 LA, Flight
Other Flight race

That's about it.

Grafts are magic items, and the only decent one for flight is feathered wings, which has a tendency to give you alignment shift, which may be bad for your cleric, unless you can be chaotic evil with your deity.

faceroll
2011-10-08, 11:21 PM
Don't grafts function in an AMF?

Vangor
2011-10-08, 11:25 PM
Raptoran - +1 LA, Flight

Fairly certain Raptoran has no LA.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-08, 11:25 PM
Raptoran - +1 LA, Flight

Wait, what?! :smallconfused: That don't seem right.

Mando Knight
2011-10-08, 11:28 PM
Wait, what?! :smallconfused: That don't seem right.

You're right... Raptorans don't have an LA, IIRC.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-08, 11:32 PM
You're right... Raptorans don't have an LA, IIRC.

IIRC, they are the same as Dragonborn flight except 5/10 instead of 6/12. Depending on the game and what your playing, Raptoran may be better or Dragonborn. It depends how much Dex matters and if getting full fledged flight quicker will be beneficial.

candycorn
2011-10-09, 12:25 AM
My bad, misremembered something. I may be thinking of a different race with flight.

Coidzor
2011-10-09, 12:27 AM
My bad, misremembered something. I may be thinking of a different race with flight.

Avoriels, perhaps?

candycorn
2011-10-09, 12:50 AM
Avoriels, perhaps?

Probably that.

Calanon
2011-10-09, 01:04 AM
Don't grafts function in an AMF?

Grafts are not magic items, but in game terms they function very much like magic items.

I guess they would work, but that is probably a DMs choice >_>

marcielle
2011-10-09, 08:10 AM
The cheapest way is to undergo Dragonborn ritual. There you go. Absolutely no cost whatsoever. If you are a certain level, you get flight automatically.

Raimun
2011-10-09, 08:54 AM
Or you could get wings with spell casting alone.

Pros:
- No LA
- You can be any race

Cons:
- You have to cast it every day
- Uses (a) spell slot(s)

1. You need to be non-evil and have Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell.
2. Cast Celestial Aspect (BoED) with DMM: Persistent Spell. (Prepare Restoration for the str-damage)
3. Fly the next 24 hours with your 100 ft speed
4. ???
5. Don't profit (it's the celestial way)

But wait! There's more!

If you don't need flight at the moment, you could also: Fire minor eye rays at will! Change your other arm to a sword... which is on fire! Or... grow ramlike horns from your head. Wait, what? Am I making this up...? I didn't even drink last night...

Um right. Order now!

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-09, 11:02 AM
The cheapest way is to undergo Dragonborn ritual. There you go. Absolutely no cost whatsoever. If you are a certain level, you get flight automatically.

IIRC, it costs 500 gp to create the special egg where you undergo your transformation.

Alleine
2011-10-09, 11:35 AM
I guess they would work, but that is probably a DMs choice >_>

If you read the rules a little further it clarifies. They function like magic items because it's easier to deal with in game I suppose. Pricing, creation, and counting against a monster's treasure is how it acts like a magic item, they are specifically called out as not being magic items though. Most grafts will function just fine in an AMF, wings included.

Lateral
2011-10-09, 11:57 AM
There's always Anthropomorphic Bat- it only has a 5 foot land speed, but it has a fly speed from level one and +6 wisdom.

BlackestOfMages
2011-10-09, 12:03 PM
IIRC, it costs 500 gp to create the special egg where you undergo your transformation.

50gp, actually. you have to wonder why there aren't a load of dragon peoples wandering about every which where since it's so cheap to do

Urpriest
2011-10-09, 12:21 PM
50gp, actually. you have to wonder why there aren't a load of dragon peoples wandering about every which where since it's so cheap to do

Devotion to Bahamut (to the extent that if you sin against him he literally rips the template off of you) is something of a price to pay.

Ravens_cry
2011-10-09, 12:26 PM
Find a male bovine, or cattle if you prefer, cast awaken animal on it, then impress upon him the importance of collectivisation and a centralized, planned economy. He will be so grateful, he will grant you a means of flight.
The moral?
Red bull gives you wings.

Lateral
2011-10-09, 12:33 PM
Find a male bovine, or cattle if you prefer, cast awaken animal on it, then impress upon him the importance of collectivisation and a centralized, planned economy. He will be so grateful, he will grant you a means of flight.
The moral?

*GROOOAAAAAN*

PirateLizard
2011-10-09, 12:36 PM
*GROOOAAAAAN*

Yep, you said it there.

Zeta Kai
2011-10-09, 12:44 PM
Don't Favored Souls get wings? If so (my books are elsewhere), then they would be a nice alternative to the standard cleric.

Zaq
2011-10-09, 12:54 PM
The moral?

I have nothing for you but a slight shake of the head and a quiet slow-clap.

Necroticplague
2011-10-09, 01:11 PM
Rainbow servant gains the ability to grow wings.

Zylle
2011-10-09, 01:15 PM
I actually asked this exact same question a few days ago, and a few incredibly helpful people told me about the Winged template in Savage Species. For a +2 LA, you get fully functional wings and some nice bonuses to a couple of stats :smallbiggrin:

Calanon
2011-10-09, 04:39 PM
If you read the rules a little further it clarifies. They function like magic items because it's easier to deal with in game I suppose. Pricing, creation, and counting against a monster's treasure is how it acts like a magic item, they are specifically called out as not being magic items though. Most grafts will function just fine in an AMF, wings included.

Alright that seems reasonably fair :smile:

nedz
2011-10-09, 04:58 PM
Half Fey +2 LA but you get a bunch of SLAs and some stat boosts Cha and Dex mainly)

Andion Isurand
2011-10-09, 09:05 PM
Half Fey +2 LA but you get a bunch of SLAs and some stat boosts Cha and Dex mainly)

Aye, makes me wonder what else I should do to improve my modified Winged Template (http://andionisurand.blogspot.com/2011/10/avariels-modified-winged-template.html).