PDA

View Full Version : Costume Creation Advice

Morbis Meh
2011-10-09, 12:23 AM
Hello playgrounders,

This is my first time posting on this board but I have come here seeking advice for my Halloween costume because I am making it. I am going as Jozan the cleric of Pelor from the 3.5 players handbook (my girlfriend is going as Lidda and wanted me to match). So my current plan of action is I am making a scale mail out of cardboard scales that I will paint silver and glue to an old lab coat of mine that has been modified and dyed. Now I was wondering if this would work or if anyone has any helpful tips? The helmet, pauldrons, greaves and shield will be made out of paper mache since it is very easy to make and will make a form fitting piece. I would appreciate any feedback and I promise to post pictures after Halloween!

Mindfreak
2011-10-09, 10:01 AM
My suggestion:
Don't use glue on the cardboard scales. Use a thread and needle instead on only the top. This makes it so you can put scales underneath the others and give it a better look.

Zylle
2011-10-09, 11:05 AM
I second the suggestion of needle and thread. The "scalemail" will come out more flexible and easier to move around in, and you will also be less likely to have scales falling off right and left when you go to walk around in it.

Another suggestion I'd like to make, is getting pre-colored posterboard and cutting that up instead of painting each scale individually. A quick Google search found results at Office Depot:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/858682/Royal-Brites-Two-Cool-Colors-Poster/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-AV_Supplies_and_Equipment-_-858682&mr:trackingCode=D492675F-316C-E011-9898-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

As well as a few other places like JoAnn Fabrics, so with any luck it shouldn't be too hard to find in your area. It'lll save you time because you won't have to paint hundreds of little cardboard pieces, and my experience in painting cardboard has suggested that small pieces are likely to curl up when painted instead of lying flat.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your costume! :smallsmile:

Morbis Meh
2011-10-09, 04:43 PM
Hey thanks for the suggestion but I do not have the time, patience or finger strength to sew on 300the or so scales, my girlfriend suggested the same thing but it is way too time consuming for a costume that I will be wearing for a few hours. As for the posterboard instead of painting, that may have work but would have been much more expensive and since I have already cut out 300already scales already I wouldn't be saving anytime.

Zylle
2011-10-09, 05:59 PM
Fair enough, my nerdiness and love of sewing sometimes gets me carried away :smallbiggrin: