PDA

View Full Version : Create a lot of Water

A_S
2011-10-09, 01:45 AM
Random optimization problem I'm working on right now: How do you maximize the amount of water you can conjure in a single round using the Create Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createWater.htm) cantrip? Stuff that's occurred to me so far is:
-Master Spellthief excessive CL cheese (if it can be jiggled into an arcane spell slot)
-(Greater) Arcane Fusion (ditto)
-Heavily stacked metamagic
-Time Stop and similar

Anybody got other ideas? Ideally, I'd like to end up with a gimmick that would allow me to fill a room with water in the first round of combat and then swim around watching my enemies drown.

Cheers!

faceroll
2011-10-09, 01:51 AM
ur priest + mystic theurge

SamBurke
2011-10-09, 01:54 AM
Random optimization problem I'm working on right now: How do you maximize the amount of water you can conjure in a single round using the Create Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createWater.htm) cantrip? Stuff that's occurred to me so far is:
-Master Spellthief excessive CL cheese (if it can be jiggled into an arcane spell slot)
-(Greater) Arcane Fusion (ditto)
-Heavily stacked metamagic
-Time Stop and similar

Anybody got other ideas? Ideally, I'd like to end up with a gimmick that would allow me to fill a room with water in the first round of combat and then swim around watching my enemies drown.

Cheers!

There's a dirt cheap item from Pathfinder you may find useful: the Dust of Dryness.

Basically, you flick it on 100 gallons of water, and it instantly turns into a tiny pellet you'll spend four rounds searching for. (800ish gp)

So, get about forty or fifty of those, and then put them all together, call it a splash weapon, and chuck it. You have created the most epic water balloon in history.

Calanon
2011-10-09, 02:03 AM
There's a dirt cheap item from Pathfinder you may find useful: the Dust of Dryness.

Basically, you flick it on 100 gallons of water, and it instantly turns into a tiny pellet you'll spend four rounds searching for. (800ish gp)

So, get about forty or fifty of those, and then put them all together, call it a splash weapon, and chuck it. You have created the most epic water balloon in history.

There is a variant of that trick which can kill the Demogorgon in a single round of combat (actually most Demon/Devil Rulers)

just create a lake and have someone cleric bless it... dry up all the water with the dust and just fling it at [insert evil outsider here] and boom they take so much holy damage they die in a single round (I can't remember how much d6 damage though... somewhere in the 3,000s) its in the easy exploit compendium :smallwink:

OT: that depends on the caster level to perform and the size of the room if you want to flood an entire fortress than its gonna take a while. I do recall a spell that can create a lake in front of you so there is a thought...

EDIT: Ravens_cry corrected me. it deals 1600d4 damage to undead/Evil outsiders :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2011-10-09, 02:10 AM
Can dust of dryness suck up holy water?
For 20,850 gp, you can do 1600d4 an undead or evil outsider, and 800 splash damage.

Calanon
2011-10-09, 02:22 AM
Can dust of dryness suck up holy water?
For 20,850 gp, you can do 1600d4 an undead or evil outsider, and 800 splash damage.

I'm a little etchy on the details but it would probably depend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dustofDryness) on what kind of holy water if you don't count holy water as fresh, salt, or Alkaline(What does that mean...?) than it shouldn't work but if you do count it as any of the listed than yes it does work

Ravens_cry
2011-10-09, 02:44 AM
Well, alkaline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkali) usually refers to bases, as in acids and bases.
But if you can, even if you only fill it 10%, for the very reasonable sum of 2850, you still get very hefty 160d4, perfect for those undead or evil outsider annoyances.

Zaq
2011-10-09, 04:05 AM
Well, if you're not married specifically to Create Water, there's the 8th level spell Flashflood, from Sandstorm. It's . . . well, it's an 8th level version of Create Water, and let me tell you, it earns its level. How does 100,0000 cubic feet of water sound to you?

ericgrau
2011-10-09, 05:09 AM
Well, alkaline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkali) usually refers to bases, as in acids and bases.
But if you can, even if you only fill it 10%, for the very reasonable sum of 2850, you still get very hefty 160d4, perfect for those undead or evil outsider annoyances.
Alkali water refers to a type of naturally occurring water which is somewhat alkaline. Fresh/salt/alkaline covers almost all naturally occurring water, that's all that description is doing.

Stacking 100 vials of X is too abusive to be allowable in a real game. Furthermore it violates the immersion rules where being fully immersed in the same liquid (requiring hundreds of pints) only does 20d6 fire or 10d6 acid per round. Holy water says it works similar to acid, if the issue isn't intuitive enough to you already. You could argue a total of 160d4 over several rounds, but you can't be more covered in the stuff than completely covered. For that matter 160 pints isn't enough to even fill an immersion bath. More likely you'd immerse him for 1 round of splash-drenching and the rest would pool at his feet doing minor damage in the following rounds, but while covering the floor of the entire room.

Back to the original question don't forget quicken of course. If you're allowed an army of cleric followers that would make a lot more water.

sreservoir
2011-10-09, 12:01 PM
Back to the original question don't forget quicken of course. If you're allowed an army of cleric followers that would make a lot more water.

erudites with NI subcohorts win this, then?

Zolthux
2011-10-09, 12:24 PM
lmfao at epic water balloon.

If you have a rogue, they can shoot it with a sling and deal extra Sneak Attack damage :D