PDA

View Full Version : Help with a weapon master build

Sarusta
2011-10-09, 10:36 AM
Not a weaponmaster in the typical sense of mastering a single weapon, I've been wanting to make a melee warrior who (mostly for flavor reasons) carries numerous amounts of weapons of all kinds, and is constantly switching them out in the middle of combat. Picking up weapons from enemies is game too, so maybe Disarm in there somewhere.

It would be nice to take advantage of the Melee Weapon Mastery feats in PHII, but this build would be crazy feat intensive, especially if he is to be dual wielding (which I imagine he would). Tempest seems like an appropriate prestige, with Fighter as the base just for all the feats. So Fighter 15, Tempest 5, not in that order necessarily. I was thinking about making him an elf for flavor but if he has to be human for the bonus feat, that's okay too.

The biggest problem I have though, is how can I get him enough actions in combat to successfully switch out several weapons at once? I assume that dropping your weapon in combat is a free action (so I'd be avoiding highly expensive magical weaponry, unless they all had the Calling enchantment). Quick Draw comes to mind, but that's a swift action so only one of those per round. Weapons with enchantments or modifications seem good, but he'll be dropping and retrieving weapons across the battlefield like crazy, so it's kind of infeasible.

Anyways, thoughts?

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-09, 11:07 AM
Quick Draw id free action.

Cog
2011-10-09, 11:30 AM
As said, Quick Draw does exactly what you need. The problem you're going to run into is the cost of magic weaponry; keeping up is going to get more and more expensive, and because of the way costs scale, maintaining a certain percentage of wealth leaves you with a weapon that's increasing lacking. Getting a single weapon that you can change into different weapons, such as a Morphing (+1, MIC), or the ability to generate magic weapons (the Greater Magic Weapon spell, the Call Weaponry power, or the Shadowsmith's Shadow Craft ability (Tome of Magic)) will probably serve you better than the golfbag approach.

Sarusta
2011-10-09, 11:41 AM
I'm almost positive that Quick Draw was errata'd into a Swift Action.

I'll look into the Shadow Craft, but I really was hoping to do the golfbag approach just because it looks fun. :smalltongue:

And yeah, I know the upkeep is going to be absurd, but this is more of a 'for fun' build, and I have a DM who'll compromise with me in terms of WPL and some technicalities so it should be okay?

Are there any magic items along the lines of Gloves of Storing (or better yet, Glove of the Master Strategist/Tactician?) that'd work?

Eldariel
2011-10-09, 11:42 AM
Best way to make a Weapon Master is to take no weapon specific feats. Take feats like Improved Trip, Knowledge Devotion, Knock-Down, Rapid Shot and company so you're good with every weapon type and then just use the type most appropriate to the given situation.

Amusingly, low level warriors are this by default, but higher up you need to work to keep the versatility (especially since it's expensive to have a golfbag of magic weapons of all types) but Warblade of course is probably the easiest way to go here.

I'm almost positive that Quick Draw was errata'd into a Swift Action.

It was not. SRD contains Core errata and it's still a free action there.

Greyfell
2011-10-09, 11:42 AM
well instead of changing weapons... how about the weapon changing to whatever you want?

Morphing, Sizing, and Metalline enhancements (all from Magic item compendium) will allow you to alter the type, size and even metallic composition of your weapon pretty much at will as you fight.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-09, 12:06 PM
I think he wants to make something like this guy (the samurai, not the boy). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uJugUYSohqY#t=118s)

SRD says free action.

Sarusta
2011-10-09, 12:27 PM
I think he wants to make something like this guy (the samurai, not the boy). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uJugUYSohqY#t=118s)

SRD says free action.

Yeah, pretty much. (Is that anime any good, by the way? I need some new ones to watch.)

Okay, I didn't know quick draw was free, that basically solves all my problems. Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2011-10-09, 12:28 PM
Look up Haberdash the Masked. It's a build that focuses on using a bunch of miscellaneous exotic weapons.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-10-09, 12:31 PM
Yeah, pretty much. (Is that anime any good, by the way? I need some new ones to watch.)
Yes, it's very good.