PDA

View Full Version : This is weirrrrd

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 01:03 PM
Okay, we were fighting a tribe of something-or-another, and some floating demon avatar, CR twenty-something, came out of the sky. Now, you all are probably thinking "GET OUT OF THERE, YOU IDIOT!", us being a 5th and 6th level party.
This encounter.. why...
Anyway, we got some spirit totem thing earlier that has +30 dispel evil, or something like that with one more charge left on it (we used the first one on a shadow demon). Everyone was talking about running away until I had the idea of using the totem which everyone forgot about. We used the totem, and the demon avatar died.
We got 875 experience each.
THIS MAKES ME SO MAD... GHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Ashram
2011-10-09, 01:05 PM
Are you by any chance playing the Serpent's Skull Adventure Path for Pathfinder?

Starbuck_II
2011-10-09, 01:06 PM
Okay, we were fighting a tribe of something-or-another, and some floating demon avatar, CR twenty-something, came out of the sky.

What made you think it was a Demon avatar that was CR 20?

If it really wasn't then that explains why it was only worth 800 each. Maybe it was just a low CR but looked impressive.

Cole10000
2011-10-09, 01:07 PM
I can understand how you'd be mad for the xp to be split between everyone if you were the one who came up with it, if you can i would suggest talking to your GM outside of the game.

and also did you actually fight the demon avatar thing first? I mean did you see first hand how strong it was or did you just assume?

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 01:08 PM
Are you by any chance playing the Serpent's Skull Adventure Path for Pathfinder?
Yeah, we are.
Don't spoil it. :p

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 01:09 PM
What made you think it was a Demon avatar that was CR 20?

If it really wasn't then that explains why it was only worth 800 each. Maybe it was just a low CR but looked impressive.

Nope, our DM showed us the picture in the bestiary, it definetly said CR 20+

I'm not mad about the XP being split between our party, that's totally fair. I'm just sayin' it's kind of weird that you only get 800 XP, split 6 ways for killing a demon avatar lord-thing.

mootoall
2011-10-09, 01:11 PM
I dunno if it holds in PF, but in D&D you can't recieve more XP than it takes to level twice -1 XP.

Cole10000
2011-10-09, 01:12 PM
Well, looking from the GM's point of view i would think the thought process would be, if you killed it in a straight up fight somehow, then you get a huge load of xp,

but, if you just used the totem to insta kill it you got far less.

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 01:12 PM
I dunno if it holds in PF, but in D&D you can't recieve more XP than it takes to level twice -1 XP.

We didn't level once.
We got 875 XP.
:P

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 01:15 PM
Well, looking from the GM's point of view i would think the thought process would be, if you killed it in a straight up fight somehow, then you get a huge load of xp,

but, if you just used the totem to insta kill it you got far less.

It was incorporeal, and probably had a ridiculous amount.

However, from the GM's point of view, it couldn't attack directly, what it did was grow the foliage out to deal lotsa damage, which it did. It could have killed us if we had ran.

Malimar
2011-10-09, 01:20 PM
Why, exactly, are you mad? Do you feel you didn't get as much XP as you should have?

If it was really CR20-something, a level 5-6 party shouldn't necessarily have gotten any experience at all for its defeat.

The table doesn't support awards for encounters eight or more Challenge Ratings higher than the character's level. If the party is taking on challenges that far above their level, something strange is going on, and the DM needs to think carefully about the awards rather than just taking them off a table.

...an encounter in which the PCs defeat something far above their own level (CRs higher than their level by eight or more) was probably the result of fantastic luck or a unique set of circumstances, and thus a full XP award may not be appropriate.

You used an item that auto-killed the foe; I wouldn't say that's even an even-level encounter for you, no matter what the ostensible CR of the creature itself was.

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 01:22 PM
Why, exactly, are you mad? Do you feel you didn't get as much XP as you should have?

If it was really CR20-something, a level 5-6 party shouldn't necessarily have gotten any experience at all for its defeat.

You used an item that auto-killed the foe; I wouldn't say that's even an even-level encounter, no matter what the ostensible CR of the creature itself was.

I'm not really mad, I just find it weird that a campaign for 5th level characters has an encounter with a 20-CR monster in it, and I don't think the DM expected us to find a way to kill it.

Cole10000
2011-10-09, 01:24 PM
I'm not really mad, I just find it weird that a campaign for 5th level characters has an encounter with a 20-CR monster in it, and I don't think the DM expected us to find a way to kill it.

So, are you implying the DM wanted to kill you with this creature?

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 01:26 PM
So, are you implying the DM wanted to kill you with this creature?

No, I'm implying that the DM didn't expect us to kill the creature.

Also, title change because I'm not honestly mad about it, just confused :P

Andreaz
2011-10-09, 01:45 PM
It shouldn't even die just because of a dispel, for starters.

Zaq
2011-10-09, 01:49 PM
Why are you so sure it wasn't an illusion (or something similar)?

Kol Korran
2011-10-09, 02:07 PM
hhmmmm.. i don't know the adventure, but a suggestions: perhaps the thing LOOKED like that sort of demon (plot stuff, or maybe it was some other creature that used the image to frighten you?) and there for you got XP for:

- either defeating this trap/ complication/ whatever made the "look! horrible demon!" effect.
- or, somehow defeating or scaring the creature that impersonated this demon (perhaps a low power ghost who could change the way it looked?)

just my opinion.

Jeraa
2011-10-09, 02:09 PM
I'm not really mad, I just find it weird that a campaign for 5th level characters has an encounter with a 20-CR monster in it,

Why? High-level monsters don't just spring into existence when the party gets to a point they can defeat them. More adventures should have encounters with creatures more powerful then the PCs (not necessarily to fight them, but they should still be there). Just like there should still be lower-power monsters in high level adventures. Parties only encountering level-appropriate challenges is, in my opinion, what is weird.

marcielle
2011-10-09, 02:27 PM
This is puzzle, totem was solution. Derpity happens.

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 03:00 PM
Why? High-level monsters don't just spring into existence when the party gets to a point they can defeat them. More adventures should have encounters with creatures more powerful then the PCs (not necessarily to fight them, but they should still be there). Just like there should still be lower-power monsters in high level adventures. Parties only encountering level-appropriate challenges is, in my opinion, what is weird.

I agree with you on that, but a lot of level-appropriate monsters are more challenging than one high powered monster.

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 03:02 PM
Why are you so sure it wasn't an illusion (or something similar)?

Our DM is awesome because sometimes he tells us about the monster after we beat it, which in this case he did.

Big Fau
2011-10-09, 06:29 PM
Our DM is awesome because sometimes he tells us about the monster after we beat it, which in this case he did.

If this was written into the Adventure Path, then Paizo has fallen a long way since the Age of Worms campaign.

A VERY long way.