PDA

View Full Version : So I moved out today.

Lillith
2011-10-09, 02:27 PM
As some of you might remember that very early this year I decided to move out and had asked for advice. Well today it finally happened and I'm at a loss again. ^^" It's kind of scary and I feel a bit lonely. I'm pretty sure that the situation hasn't quite hit me yet. I did dislike leaving the house today and I really miss the company of my cats. Actually I think is pretty much on the same level as me having to miss my old place cause I really loved it.

So does anybody have some tips before I start to get anxious. How did you all deal with your first week out of your parents house? :smalleek:

Castaras
2011-10-09, 02:31 PM
Keep yourself busy. Be it through making long lists of everything you have to sort out, or playing games, or hanging with friends. :smallsmile:

thubby
2011-10-09, 03:19 PM
invite people over.

Miklus
2011-10-09, 04:03 PM
Strange as it might sound, it can get a little lonely without the old folks. But it passes quickly.

Pro tip: Do not put vegetables in the refridgrators vegetable drawer and forget about them. It gets ugly.

Form
2011-10-09, 04:37 PM
It was frightening for me as well at first, but you get past that very quickly. Give it a little bit of time and you should be fine. Just keep doing what you usually do and enjoy your independence.

KuReshtin
2011-10-09, 05:28 PM
First off, congratulations on your moving out to your own place. :smallsmile:

I second the advise of Form, telling you to just go about your day as normal, to help yourself getting settled in.
It's pretty important that you get at least some sort of schedule sorted, though, so that you get stuff done like cleaning the place, getting the laundry done, washing dishes, going grocery shopping and things like that.
Also, to help you with your finances, make up a shopping list before you go to the shops so that you don't end up impulse shopping once you get there, and end up spending more money than you can afford.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-10-09, 07:41 PM
Grongratulations, Lillith, I know you've wanted this for quite some time.:smallsmile:

While hosting a meet-up would most definitely help, I think doing a ''cook and eat dinner toghetter'' with friends always is fun, let's possibly learn a new(cheap) recipe. Also if you haven't done terribly much cooking at home, this is a great way to learn. Also it means you won't be seven dinners a week alone, which is one of the big changes of living alone.

Also possibly a house-warming party(even if it's just a room), you can make it big or small but it lets people know where you live now, give the space some memories and what not.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-10-09, 08:04 PM
Adding my voice to the cheering throng of well-wishers ... congratulations, Lillith!

I always get into the "nesting" part of a move to cope with the anxiety of moving: cleaning and putting my possessions away, arranging and re-arranging the furniture, making the place look nice.

Inviting pals over can help, too.

After my divorce, when I moved to my new apartment, I also taught myself how to make bread. Bread making for me is soothingly repetitive, and it makes one's new home smell very welcoming.

Enjoy your new home!

Rhydeble
2011-10-10, 06:35 AM
definitely seconding the eating with friends idea. just make sure that the dishes are done afterwards. It's a good way to socialize daily, and really helps start up a life away from home.
Also, Try to keep stuff clean. I personally find this hard without my parents nagging me, but it really helps if you don't have to look for five minutes to find everythin because it's under/in some other thing that's wholly unrelated.
If you live close enough to a shop, try just getting food for that day only. Buying ahead without experience in how much you eat and drink is a great way to feed your local mushroom colony's

Nargan
2011-10-10, 10:59 AM
Grats on moving out. How to cope? Don't be sober :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-10-10, 12:58 PM
When I first moved out, I was quite happy. I had a room to myself, which I didn't have at home, I could buy whatever I wanted to eat, (which after a while turned into a specific protein-high diet, so I'm not the best example of this :smalltongue:), and it was quiet when I wanted it too. At first, you're usually happy.

It would be advisable to go visit people, have people over, or not spend too much time inside your own house alone, as it can get depressing to do so. Take up activities you enjoy. Living completely alone is great, but you do want to have a little company from time to time.

Oh, and on the "Can have whatever food you want" thing: Don't push it. Avoid having sweets and sodas in your house all the time. :smalltongue:

Lillith
2011-10-10, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the tips and stories everybody. :smallbiggrin: I survived my first night at my own place, only to not being able to sleep due to the light of the common hallway shining into my room. Though that's now fixed by having the window above my door taped with dark tape so it will block out the light!

I also hung out for an hour or two with two neighbors and got some form of internet going. (My computer apparently only works with a cable but the internet cable is kind of... bad... also the person who I need to pay for the internet hasn't been around yet. I feel like I'm illegally leeching internet but I kinda need it =/) I guess I'm a bit like you though Monkey, I try to put things in place and make my home cozy. Sadly the walls are made from concrete so I can't hang up any of my pictures. My parents are going to rent/borrow one of those big drills for me this week though so my walls won't look so empty. I especially miss my clock. :smalltongue: But yeah I guess once I managed to put up all my pictures on the wall I'll feel more at home here.

Funnily enough my dad seems to show more signs of not liking my moving out then my mom. He tried to ensure me that I could lock my front door if I liked and that I should not worry about driving to the nearby train station, as opposed to walking as I had planned to save gas. He said that I could drive to it if I wanted and he'd pay for the gas. I guess he doesn't want me to walk alone in a strange neighborhood. :smallwink: And mom told me today that he said about three times yesterday night that he didn't like the silence or me not sitting in my usual spot. Good to know I'm not the only one having a bit of a hard time with this. :smalltongue: (My mom doesn't like me moving out either but she's a lot more vocal from the start while my dad just tried to ignore the whole issue)

Also I'm generally a healthy eater. I got a lot of bread and meat in the freezer so I should be okay for a while. Until the fruit and vegetables are finished though then I'll have to buy some more.

Anyways time for my second night here. I'm sure I'll sleep better now that I don't have a torch beaming into my room! :smallbiggrin:

KenderWizard
2011-10-10, 05:09 PM
Yay! Well done!

Pro tip: Do not put vegetables in the refridgrators vegetable drawer and forget about them. It gets ugly.

Full version: Do not put vegetables ANYWHERE and forget about them. Or fruit. Lunchboxes, tote bags, under the bread, behind the cereal, in a saucepan, in the fridge, in your desk drawer... Doesn't work.

Also, I second having a housewarming and also getting some of your own furniture (even just a footstool or bedside locker) or, for the cheaper option, kitchen stuff. Do you love baking? Get your own kitchen scales. Do you love stir-fry? Get a decent wok. Nothing makes me feel more like a grown-up than IKEA!

Starwulf
2011-10-10, 05:40 PM
As some of you might remember that very early this year I decided to move out and had asked for advice. Well today it finally happened and I'm at a loss again. ^^" It's kind of scary and I feel a bit lonely. I'm pretty sure that the situation hasn't quite hit me yet. I did dislike leaving the house today and I really miss the company of my cats. Actually I think is pretty much on the same level as me having to miss my old place cause I really loved it.

So does anybody have some tips before I start to get anxious. How did you all deal with your first week out of your parents house? :smalleek:

Depends on when/how you define first time. I left my parents house for the military, and I did miss them a good deal. Then, after I got back out I ended up living with them, along with my wife and baby, and when we finally got out of there, it couldn't have come a moment to soon. Much cheering and celebration was had, likely on both sides ^^

Lillith
2011-10-11, 05:47 AM
Also, I second having a housewarming and also getting some of your own furniture (even just a footstool or bedside locker) or, for the cheaper option, kitchen stuff. Do you love baking? Get your own kitchen scales. Do you love stir-fry? Get a decent wok. Nothing makes me feel more like a grown-up than IKEA!

I got a lot of things already. Funnily enough it feels like I'm living in an IKEA display room. Except for my electronics and bed pretty much everything is from IKEA. ^^"

dehro
2011-10-11, 06:46 AM
walk around your place naked

unless your family is more awesome than average, it's not something you will have done at home.. and the only way to beat that in terms of "marking your territory" and making it feel yours is to pee on the walls..which I advise against.

you might want to hang some curtains first though..

also, wall paint (provided your landlord/lady) doesn't object to a little redecoration...
you could do anything from writing "MINE" on the wall, or any other word or phrase significant to yourself, to just adding a few squares of colour on a white wall.. you don't need to do the entire room over.. and if the owners don't like the idea: Posters and/or pictures of friends and family

KenderWizard
2011-10-11, 07:44 AM
I got a lot of things already. Funnily enough it feels like I'm living in an IKEA display room. Except for my electronics and bed pretty much everything is from IKEA. ^^"

I salute you!