PDA

View Full Version : just how groan inducing....

big teej
2011-10-09, 02:53 PM
how groan inducing?
how cliche?
how trite?
etc.

would it be if I were to play a Raptoran (Races of the Wild) based on Foghorn Leghorn?

reference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0

Wyntonian
2011-10-09, 03:15 PM
Well, if it was in an RL game, I'd need to break my no-PvP rule, which I have never broken, despite being NG playing with a bunch of Chaotic "Neutrals". tell you anything?

Medic!
2011-10-09, 03:18 PM
LOL Just don't make him a caster! Foghorn's probly the only one in history that would have to use a full-round action to cast Featherfall

big teej
2011-10-09, 03:22 PM
Well, if it was in an RL game, I'd need to break my no-PvP rule, which I have never broken, despite being NG playing with a bunch of Chaotic "Neutrals". tell you anything?

now son, I say, I say, LISTEN TO ME BOY, I say, why would ya be doin that?

LOL Just don't make him a caster! Foghorn's probly the only one in history that would have to use a full-round action to cast Featherfall

hahaha, I"m thinking something more along the lines of a Barbarian or a Ranger. the personality is all I'm after....

although now that I think about it, playing a caster with that sort of personality would be.....

hiliarious.

"silent spell? what's that?"

Kol Korran
2011-10-09, 04:43 PM
well, it depends on how long you're going to play it, and how intense. it'a all a matter of the right measure.

also, you had better be damn well improvising, or prepare well at home, or you'll be stuck at "well now there boy! i say... um..."

if it's done right, i think it would be awesome and hilarious! i whole heartedly approve. some ideas though:
- this guy feels more like a "know it all/ swindler rogue" to me rahter than a barbarian (most of which do not speak eloquently) or a ranger (who are often the silent types )
- another idea is to play an over confident, sly avengalist sort of cleric or favored soul, sure that he knows best, preaching to the unenlightened masses, in their own "peasant" language.
- or perhaps a bard? a very "flavorful bard"- suggestion and fascination could be done by never stopping to talk, wearing the subject out. Perform (endless torrent) and perform (pun) are your skills. the suggestion power is just built for Foghorn!

hope this helped (or at least amused), cool idea!
Kol.

big teej
2011-10-09, 04:47 PM
well, it depends on how long you're going to play it, and how intense. it'a all a matter of the right measure.

also, you had better be damn well improvising, or prepare well at home, or you'll be stuck at "well now there boy! i say... um..."

if it's done right, i think it would be awesome and hilarious! i whole heartedly approve. some ideas though:
- this guy feels more like a "know it all/ swindler rogue" to me rahter than a barbarian (most of which do not speak eloquently) or a ranger (who are often the silent types )
- another idea is to play an over confident, sly avengalist sort of cleric or favored soul, sure that he knows best, preaching to the unenlightened masses, in their own "peasant" language.
- or perhaps a bard? a very "flavorful bard"- suggestion and fascination could be done by never stopping to talk, wearing the subject out. Perform (endless torrent) and perform (pun) are your skills. the suggestion power is just built for Foghorn!

hope this helped (or at least amused), cool idea!
Kol.

these are great.

haha, yes... a raptoran bard.. :belkar:

togapika
2011-10-09, 07:50 PM
He needs some way of convincing people things are true that are lies...

Anxe
2011-10-09, 11:15 PM
He's a cleric.

Also, this is hilarious, you should do it.

Kol Korran
2011-10-10, 02:08 AM
He needs some way of convincing people things are true that are lies...

hence the bard.... for Glibeness! :smallbiggrin:

GoblinArchmage
2011-10-10, 05:59 AM
This character concept is too awesome to not do.

Roderick_BR
2011-10-10, 09:13 AM
hence the bard.... for Glibeness! :smallbiggrin:
"Great job, bard, you fooled the enemy with your glibness spell"
"But I did not use my spell yet..."
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0010.html

big teej
2011-10-11, 11:20 PM
youtube is my friend...

the first hit from searching Foghorn Leghorn is a compiled list of his rants and insults.

I must commit these to memory :belkar:

NikitaDarkstar
2011-10-12, 01:09 AM
Awesome concept.. but I'm very glad I'm not in your group cause I might be tempted to punch you. :p (Not to mention the characters I tend to end up playing would stab you in your sleep... or accidentally get you caught in a fireball...)

Kol Korran
2011-10-12, 01:27 AM
youtube is my friend...

the first hit from searching Foghorn Leghorn is a compiled list of his rants and insults.

I must commit these to memory :belkar:

oh please please please do a campaign log of that character! :smallbiggrin:

big teej
2011-10-12, 07:49 AM
Awesome concept.. but I'm very glad I'm not in your group cause I might be tempted to punch you. :p (Not to mention the characters I tend to end up playing would stab you in your sleep... or accidentally get you caught in a fireball...)

I'm durable :smallbiggrin:

oh please please please do a campaign log of that character! :smallbiggrin:

most certainly will if/when I ever get to play him....

what exactly constitutes a campaign log? I've seen the threads but never read them in case I play the modules they're about

Kol Korran
2011-10-12, 08:27 AM
campaing logs are basically tales of the story. they can have many forms: from the players point of view, from the character's, from the DM's (like mine is) or just a general narrating of the story.

different people writ in different styles- some serious, some humerous, some adding stuff from the players, some strictly to the story, and so on.

all those i've seen that dealt with actual modules (most don't) write it clear at the opening post.

it's really up to you which ones you like. the most famous collection is the SilverClawShift Campaign archives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) which many people enjoyed immensely- really good!

they are a good source of ideas, and how others do stuff, in an entertaining way. they can also be interactive, with the author answering questions by readers or (such as in my case) sometime asking advice.

big teej
2011-10-12, 11:59 AM
campaing logs are basically tales of the story. they can have many forms: from the players point of view, from the character's, from the DM's (like mine is) or just a general narrating of the story.

different people writ in different styles- some serious, some humerous, some adding stuff from the players, some strictly to the story, and so on.

all those i've seen that dealt with actual modules (most don't) write it clear at the opening post.

it's really up to you which ones you like. the most famous collection is the SilverClawShift Campaign archives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) which many people enjoyed immensely- really good!

they are a good source of ideas, and how others do stuff, in an entertaining way. they can also be interactive, with the author answering questions by readers or (such as in my case) sometime asking advice.

this does indeed sound interesting....

and gives me an excuse to intersperse my language with roosterisms

Manga Shoggoth
2011-10-12, 03:35 PM
Perhaps you should be playing Toon...

JohnnyCancer
2011-10-12, 04:13 PM
A combat trapsmith seems in line with ol' Foghorn, considering all those mean tricks he pulled on the dog.

Dienekes
2011-10-12, 04:22 PM
Well, obviously whatever you do be it caster or bard or whatnot you have to have a way to trip people, so you can berate them for falling down again.

"I say stand up boy!" Foghorn casts grease
Ok, the orc trips again.
"I say, I say stand up boy! You're tripping over your own feet. No use talking to ya if you can't even stand up now son."

Dr.Epic
2011-10-12, 04:38 PM
Depends on the group. Some people might find the reference amusing. Others would be annoyed at this one-note character. Just ask yourself if there's more to the character than just the reference to a cartoon, otherwise it might not be that interesting.

big teej
2011-10-12, 05:58 PM
Depends on the group. Some people might find the reference amusing. Others would be annoyed at this one-note character. Just ask yourself if there's more to the character than just the reference to a cartoon, otherwise it might not be that interesting.

regardless of class, the character will contribute, out of my entire school list of people I play with.

I know the system the best, it's just a matter of deciding what class I wish to pair with this roleplay.

I'm kinda liking the bard and/or caster idea mentioned above, constantly berating people for fallin down would be looooads of fun.

EDIT

my girlfriend (who I game with) insists I inform the forum

"that I will beat you to oblivion if you play this character, you will no longer exist" - Teej's Girlfriend

soooooo darkstar, you are not alone. :smalltongue:

not that that will stop me :thog:

Dr.Epic
2011-10-12, 06:17 PM
regardless of class, the character will contribute, out of my entire school list of people I play with.

I know the system the best, it's just a matter of deciding what class I wish to pair with this roleplay.

I'm kinda liking the bard and/or caster idea mentioned above, constantly berating people for fallin down would be looooads of fun.

Then I guess it just comes down to if people will like the concept and not get annoyed with it.

J-H
2011-10-12, 06:25 PM
I say, I say, I say, you do have a pretty good idea there, boy.

big teej
2011-10-15, 01:56 AM
I say, I say, I say, you do have a pretty good idea there, boy.

I have a challenge for the playgrounders (and this just might warrant it's own thread)

I CHALLENGE YOU

to DnD-ify Foghorn Leghorn's speechisms and insults

actually, ya know what, this does warrant it's own thread....

Sith_Happens
2011-10-15, 02:08 AM
I CHALLENGE YOU

to DnD-ify Foghorn Leghorn's speechisms and insults

actually, ya know what, this does warrant it's own thread....

Perform (Obnoxious Long-Winded Rant). Use for Bardic Music.

QED:elan:

big teej
2011-10-15, 02:25 AM
Perform (Obnoxious Long-Winded Rant). Use for Bardic Music.

QED:elan:

:smallconfused: what's QED?

and I was refering to things like

"boy's about as sharp as a bowlin ball"

gooddragon1
2011-10-15, 02:37 AM
/dull as a bag of hammers (no idea either)

I think the evangelist cleric is what you want. Based on the youtube you linked.

Connington
2011-10-15, 03:45 AM
"Real nice kid, but about as bright as a Darkness spell."

"Stand up, I say, STAND UP BOY. You're tripping all over my Grease."

"Pay attention son, look me in the eye when I'm talking to you. When I was your age we always, I say we ALWAYS looked our elders in the eye, Greater Invisibility or no Greater Invisibility."

Sith_Happens
2011-10-15, 06:10 PM
:smallconfused: what's QED?

Well, it technically stands "quod erat demonstrandum" and is used at the end of a proof, but on the Internet it usually just stands for "quite easily done."