PDA

View Full Version : Gish Spell List

hivedragon
2011-10-09, 04:05 PM
What spells gain the most synergy from an arcane/melee build?
please site your sources

Emperor Ing
2011-10-09, 04:08 PM
Wraithstrike (SpC), for one swift action, all your attacks become touch attacks? Even if it's for one round, Hell yes.
Wings of Cover (RotD) because it's awesome in general.
Orb of X (...SpC?) because not everything will always be in melee range.
Dimension Door (SRD) tactical positioning just plain works.

herrhauptmann
2011-10-09, 04:29 PM
I asked this same question a while back for a swiftblade character I wanted to make.
My issue was that most gish handbooks just seemed to take their favorite spells out of a wizards handbook and repost them. Even though a lot of the spells needed a high CL to be effective, and not all gishes have a high CL. (Ftr/Suel ArcanamachAbjurant Champ/) has nearly full bab, which boosts his CL, and his spells are dispelled at his CL+6. But he's pretty far behind on actual spell selection.

So here's something I got with some help from Shneekey.
I'll look later on, but somewhere I've also got a list of the various abjuration spells that provide Armor/Shield bonus to AC for Abjurant Champ. It's primarily a lot of spells based on Shield until you get to Pathfinder.
Notice, very few of those spells are ones that deal damage outright (a la fireball or Orb of X). And the ones that do? Tend to have other effects outside of direct damage.
If you want to deal lots of damage with your spells, go for the mailman sorcerer or something. The gish is not wizard-lite.

1st Level Spells:
Grease (PHB)
Mage Armor (PHB)
Nerverskitter (SC)
Shield (PHB)
Fist of Stone (CArc)

2nd Level Spells:
Mirror Image (PHB)
Wraithstrike (SC)

3rd Level Spells:
Haste (PHB)
Dispel Magic (PHB)

4th Level Spells:

Dimension Door (PHB)
Polymorph (PHB)

5th Level Spells:
Acid Sheath (SC)
Baleful Polymorph(PHB)
Teleport (PHB)

6th Level Spells:
Disintegrate (PHB)
Contingency (PHB)
Greater Dispel Magic (SC)

7th Level Spells:
Energy Absorption (SC)
Force Cage (PHB)
Limited Wish (PHB)
Prismatic Spray (PHB)
Reverse Gravity (PHB)

8th Level Spells:
Mind Blank (PHB)
Polymorph Any Object (PHB)

9th Level Spells:
Time Stop (PHB)
Gate (PHB)
Shapechange (PHB)
Wish (PHB)

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-09, 04:34 PM
Chasing perfection is a fantastic. but rarely mentioned gish spell from the Player's Handbook II. It grants you a +4 enhancement bonus to all your ability scores as a 6th level spell slot. (Much more useful than a bull's strength or a cat's grace)

Combine with the Ability Enhancer feat from the Dragon Compendium for a free Belt of Magnificence +6 whenever you want it.

Displacement (PHB) is also a great spell to keep you alive. If you're looking for AC, look no further than greater luminous armor (Prepared, good-aligned caster only). This handy 4th level abjuration spell gives you a +8 armor bonus and also makes your enemies take a -4 penalty on all attack rolls against you. If you take 5 levels of abjurant champion (and why wouldn't you?) that bonus increases to +13. (Stacks with the +9 you get from shield)

Greater luminous armor is in the Book of Flawed Desi- I mean, the Book of Exalted Deeds.

Curious
2011-10-09, 04:36 PM
This is fantastic for everyone, but especially for Magi with Spell Combat; Accelerate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power/effect-words/accelerate).

Randomguy
2011-10-09, 04:39 PM
Note: When I don't label the source, it's from PHB)

Pretty much any decent abjuration. (Protection from energy or resist energy, energy immunity(SpC), mind blank, ray deflection(SpC), forceward (SpC).)
Polymorph (And almost any spell that changes your shape, really), to make yourself more awesome.
Enlarge person and greater enlarge person. (The second is from SpC)
If you're using natural weapons/unarmed strikes, then blood wind. (SpC)
If you can channel spells through your melee weapons, then vampiric touch.
Anything that makes you harder to hit: Mirror image, Displacement, Greater mirror image (spell compedium) greater blink (SpC)
Haste.
Shapechange and Dragonshape are both cool.
Weapon of energy, blades of fire, (both in SpC) greater mighty wallop (In dragon magic, I think it is), but the last one is only if you're using a bludgeoning weapon.
If you can either channel touch spells through your weapons or are gishing via monk or unarmed swordsage, then any spell that gives you a certain number of touch attacks, like corrosive grasp (SpC) or chill touch.
If you're not wearing metal armour or using a metal weapon then Ironguard. (SpC)
Lightning ring.(SpC)

Coidzor
2011-10-09, 04:57 PM
Mirror Image is one of those spells you'll need to figure out how your DM is going to run with it though.

Incanur
2011-10-09, 07:25 PM
Fist of stone is great but weird because of how the +6 Str doesn't apply to everything. But it does apply to the attack role and (apparently) to damage, so it can be a fun spell at lower levels. Getting a slam attack never hurts.