PDA

View Full Version : Allons-y!

lord pringle
2011-10-09, 04:52 PM
My friend in my gaming group wants to play the tenth doctor in our Gestalt D&D game. What can I do to make him this?

Siosilvar
2011-10-09, 04:54 PM
Check out the Factotum. It's in Dungeonscape, page 14.

It can do... just about anything, and can also apply a high Intelligence modifier to everything, as well. It's surprisingly balanced for being such a jack-of-all-trades, too.

lord pringle
2011-10-09, 04:56 PM
I forgot. It's a gestalt game.

HunterOfJello
2011-10-09, 05:06 PM
Artificer//Factotum who never uses harmful attacks unless against diabolical enemies

Eldan
2011-10-09, 05:08 PM
If you want to go perhaps a bit more with the basic idea than what he does in the show, Psion, either Nomad (for time travel) or Telepath (for memory-transfer head-butt (:smalltongue:) and Telepathy (his ability to speak every language ever).

Or Psionic Artificer, for the best of both.

Analytica
2011-10-09, 05:37 PM
Thirding Artificer//Factotum. The Doctor himself is probably somewhere around level 30 though.

While he does do some mind reading and sensing temporal disturbances without any equipment, that works with Factotum SLAs. Most of his stuff is hacking alien technology, waving his magic wand around, or piloting his magic box. All of which works with Artificer and UMD.

Then maybe a template that gives thirteen contingent Reincarnate effects. :smallsmile:

Redshirt Army
2011-10-09, 05:55 PM
One way of simulating the whole "ancient wanderer" thing is the Wedded to History feat in Dragon #354 - it stops you from aging or dieing of old age, and gives you a single thematically fitting benefit, ranging from augury 1/day as a SLA, +3 to Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate to anyone who knows who you are, a bonus to UMD, to the ability to not count as your type for spell effects.

All of these are appropriate enough for the Doctor that I suspect the writers were fans, especially since three feats in the section let you always have the right item at hand, shuffle your internal organs around, and let you survive death with merely some Strength and Con drain- Regeneration sickness anyone?

Beyond that, it's not particularly difficult to build a flying box that can Teleport and is bigger on the inside using Stonghold Builders Guide, though letting it travel through time is prohibitively expensive (Teleport through Time is a 9th level spell. (I calculated 48,850 gp at level 12 if you take the Landlord feat without time travel.)

I suspect the Sonic Screwdriver is just a bunch of wands taped sovereign glued together (probably Knock, Detect Magic, and Dispel Magic), along with an infinite use item of Prestidigitation, though it's used infrequently enough per episode for most of those to be eternal wands instead.

Most of the ways of screwing with time are psionic, so your friend will want to invest ranks in Use Psionic Device if he's not going to be a psionic class (I personally recommend Factotum from Dungeonscape, though an Archivist (Heros of Horror) or Artificer (Eberron Campaign Setting) would also fit.)

You can also simulate immortality though the Elan race, and by using the feat Planar Touchstone: The Peak of Continuation.

(In case you're wondering, yes I did throw a Doctor reference at my players, and Elan Archivist with Planar Touchstone: The Peak of Continuation, Landlord, and Leadership. I only recently found Wedded to History, and I honestly like it more than Elan - there's no way the Doctor has a Charisma penalty.)

Relevant Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198481

Psyren
2011-10-09, 06:52 PM
Psionic Artificer//Factotum is AFAIK the easiest way to play one of the Doctors in 3.5.

Cog
2011-10-09, 07:07 PM
Elan Archivist with Planar Touchstone: The Peak of Continuation, Landlord, and Leadership.
You're missing Item Familiar! Can't forget the sonic in that mix, and using it to get back extra bonuses in UMD/Open Lock sounds just about right.

skycycle blues
2011-10-09, 07:32 PM
(In case you're wondering, yes I did throw a Doctor reference at my players, and Elan Archivist with Planar Touchstone: The Peak of Continuation, Landlord, and Leadership. I only recently found Wedded to History, and I honestly like it more than Elan - there's no way the Doctor has a Charisma penalty.)

The Doctor would never have a Charisma penalty, but he has always wanted to be Ginger. He's never been Ginger.

Darthteej
2011-10-09, 08:54 PM
The Doctor would never have a Charisma penalty, but he has always wanted to be Ginger. He's never been Ginger.

You start doing that, and this entire thread will derail.

...pears.

Alleran
2011-10-09, 09:54 PM
I've thrown in hints of the Doctor in my games before. I didn't bother statting him, though. To me, it's not a question of if the Doctor can win, it's a question of how. It never really needed it, anyway, since he was never actually fought by anybody. Just a nod and reference (and one interaction) that left the players a bit puzzled until one of them worked it out.

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-09, 10:04 PM
Half-Elf Bard/Artificer // Factotum

Half-Elf with the Elf representing Time Lord, calling back to the pre-2005 episodes that always implied that the Doctor was part-human. It works out well, because the Half-Elf bard substitution levels give you Soothing Voice, which the Doctor absolutely has. His ability to talk himself out of situations is legendary, and so he's got to be some sort of diplomancer. Factotum for the intelligence bonus to, well, everything, plus the general skills. Artificer for the ability to use and tweak every item in existence.

And yes, Item Familiar for a sonic screwdriver is a must.

Redshirt Army
2011-10-09, 10:41 PM
I was never quite sure on how to stat up the Sonic Screwdriver... off the top of my head, he's used it to:

Open Locks
Dismantle Machinery
Detonate Landmines
Weld
Repair Electronics
Send and Receive Signals
Scan Substances
Ignite Objects
Amplify Sound
Amplify Radiation
Remotely operate the TARDIS

So, that's Knock, Mending, Mage Hand, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Control Sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlSound.htm), Sending...

I can't really think of a way to receive signals or amplify radiation using D&D spells, though I may be missing some other screwdriver functions.

Golden Ladybug
2011-10-09, 11:07 PM
This is...brilliant!

I'm going to make a build of this. Don't have Dungeonscape, or wherever the Articifer comes from for that matter, but I can look up what they do...Yep, I can work with that.

The Doctor
Race: Time Lord (Human :smallfrown:)

Abilities: Str 8 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 8 Cha 16 (32PB)

Class: Factotum 11/Exemplar 9 // Bard 9/Articifer 9/Rogue 2

Feats: 1) Able Learner
HumanTime Lord) Nymph's Kiss
3) Knowledge Devotion
6) Inspirational Font
9) Inspirational Font
12) Married to History
Articifer 4) ?
Exemplar 3) Negotiator
15) Inspirational Font
Articifer 8) ?
Exemplar 6) Skill Focus: Diplomacy
18) Inspirational Font
Exemplar 9) Persuasive

I don't know what the Bonus feat list for Articifer is, and I don't think it matters too much. Exemplar has a pretty horrid list of Bonus feats, so we might as well just further buff our interaction skills. Skill Artistry is obviously applied to Diplomacy, Bluff and Use Magic Device, and Skill Mastery obviously to the same three, and two or more others that you've taken a fancy to. Your Articifer levels let you craft up to Wands, but you don't get Staffs or Rings. Since we're using Wands as an Analogue to the Sonic Screwdriver, I think its important we get that, but the others aren't that special.

Does Vow of Peace raise the DC for Sense Motive for opposed Bluff Checks? Because if so, we can burn some of those Inspirational Fonts to grab the Sacred Vow chain for it...Plus, it fits the Fluff perfectly.

The Rogue levels grant you evasion, and coupled with Brains over Brawn an Intellectual Agility, well, you know. You can also trade the Trapfinding and Sneak Attack away for some cool stuff.

For the skill points, you get Factotum's Skill Points per level up +6 and 14 for each Exemplar level on the right hand side, and you get 12 for every Bard level (48 at level 1), 8 for all the Articifer levels and whatever Factotum's get again on the end.

Which means you have 14X+222//256 skill points at level 20, where X is whatever the hell Factotums get per level. A pretty sizeable amount, I must say. Assuming 6+int (which I think seems likely), the left hand side wins by a clear margin, and you'd get 306 skill points to dish out (I implore someone to check my math here, I can't help but worry I got this wrong somewhere along the line). Plus a little bit extra depending on how and when you increase your intelligence. Try this on for size as your skill list.

Autohypnosis 18
Bluff 23
Concentration 5
Decipher Script 1
Diplomacy 23
Disable Device 18
Gather Information 23
Intimidate 16
Knowledge (Arcana) 18
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 18
Knowledge (History) 5
Knowledge (Nature) 18
Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) 5
Knowledge (The Planes) 18
Perform (Oratory) 23
Sense Motive 18
Spot 11
Use Magic Device 23
Use Psionic Device 23

A pretty decent, Doctor-y skill list, methinks. You have a pretty nice chance of identifying any monsters you come across, and Bardic Knowledge is there for any other random tidbits.

Equipment wise, you'll want to pick up a Vest of Legends and a Badge of Inspiration for a bit of IC pumping, a Belt of Many Pockets is essential and you definitely want that Wandholder thing that lets you hold out and use up to three wands at once. The (eternal) wands of choice for our Sonic Scredriver are definitely Knock, Detect Magic and Prestidigation, with any other utility spells that you feel like including as more wands. You can make the bloody things, so why not?

Even better, Sovereign Glue some more of those Wandholders (I can't remember what they're called :smallfrown:) together so your Sonic Screwdriver can have extra functions. Spare wands for utility

As well as that, there is all the Articifier and Factotum you're getting from these levels, so you're gonna be able to do some pretty cool stuff from there as well.

Other than that, you just need to get him a TARDIS and we're set :smallbiggrin:

Well, that was a fun way to spend an hour

Weezer
2011-10-09, 11:10 PM
I'd say the best way to represent the screwdriver would be to make it a use activated item of Knock and Prestidigitation, with the restrictions that it doesn't work on wood and prestidigitation is only used for manipulation of objects, none of the cleaning, color etc functions work. This covers the Sonic's original functions, eliminating the power creep that has accompanied it.

Redshirt Army
2011-10-10, 11:00 AM
Considering that the Doctor re-locks locks at least as often as he opens them, the sonic probably has Arcane Lock as well (possibly with a reduced duration to mitigate the cost increase incurred by the material component.)

some guy
2011-10-10, 12:05 PM
Maybe psychic paper can be a custom magic item based on a modified version of the Illusory Script (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/illusoryScript.htm) spell?

Grod_The_Giant
2011-10-10, 02:56 PM
Might be easier to just have the Screwdriver be a focus for psionic powers.