PDA

View Full Version : Succubus Racial Class Variant [PF/3.5(?)] (Beta) [PEACH]

NekoIncardine
2011-10-09, 05:16 PM
I'll just start this by explaining the logic that led to it, note that I'm missing at least one piece, and then linking the item.

YAY: Succubi in Pathfinder are fun, and I like the Monsters as PC Races rules of Pathfinder.
BOO: If the campaign doesn't start at 7th level, you can't use the rules without shoehorning.
OOH: Savage Species' mechanics could easily hybridize with the Monsters as PC Races rules.
BASIC MATHMATH: A Succubus gains 3 'bonus levels' under the Pathfinder rules - one every 3 levels. 7+(3*3)=1 total levels, so that's the length the class lasts, gaining 9 levels plus three bonus levels for a total of 12 class levels over 16.
COPY IN: A couple bits of the Gestalt Rules - the Succubus gains either a racial HD, or a class level, or both.
NOTE: I'm trying to make this mesh with the PF Succubus as much as possible.
WHY NOT, THROW IT IN: I did add a stack of weapon proficiencies from d20pfsrd.com's Exotic lists - weapons that are either stylish, or fit with a seductress theme. I am thinking that this balances on the logic that the class already has all Simples and Martials, plus a good Natural Weapon.

That said, here's the current build (note that I have it on Google Cloud Sync, so if I update the class, it'll update on this link automatically): https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=1dRj7VXcvTOPWy-wsoxKu3-BnH2sihtpaRpbkVPvAsOU

The Succubus gains its spell-like abilities more-or-less when an equivalent Wizard would be able to learn them, with the exception of greater teleport (moved to 9th level, when a Wizard can learn normal teleport), and summon (moved to 11th level to represent that a succubus needs some 'rank' to be able to try and summon help, and to fill an otherwise empty level). I added charm person basically so that one of the succubus' iconic tricks is available right out the gate - it gets de-facto replaced by charm monster later in.

The goal is that this take on the Succubus, as an option, should be a reasonably practical choice at varying grades of play and player - a novice who picks them for the fluff should be okay in a party that's mostly novices, while players who know the game more should find it on par with options they already have from WotC sources - less optimized maybe, but still good enough to be fun for that sorta player.

However, numbers-wise, 16th-level needs to come out more-or-less equivalent to using the Monsters as Races rules as-is - The only major advantage this should have, is working from 1st level.

Cieyrin
2011-10-09, 06:49 PM
Maybe I'm missing the balance point but this seems to grab power hand over fist from the get-go, especially in terms of ability boosts.

NekoIncardine
2011-10-09, 07:49 PM
Maybe I'm missing the balance point but this seems to grab power hand over fist from the get-go, especially in terms of ability boosts.

The ability boosts are pretty freaking insane, yes - sadly, they're proportionate to what the Succubus gets under the Monsters as Races rules.

Morph Bark
2011-10-10, 05:33 AM
If I infer correctly from your BASIC MATHMATH bit: PF rules say that if you have RHD/LA, you sort-of gain levels faster than others of your level do to compensate for starting lower?

Doorhandle
2011-10-10, 05:37 AM
Yes, because apparently racial hit-die loose value over time.

Anyone care to explain that?

jiriku
2011-10-10, 05:52 AM
Well, RHD offer numerical bonuses, but not class features. Numerical bonii tend to progress linearly in power while class features progress in power more rapidly. Eventually, you reach a point where the numerical bonii granted by your RHD aren't as valuable as the advanced class features you would have received in their place if you'd played a basic race.

NekoIncardine
2011-10-10, 10:08 AM
If I infer correctly from your BASIC MATHMATH bit: PF rules say that if you have RHD/LA, you sort-of gain levels faster than others of your level do to compensate for starting lower?

Since variants of this were asked three times:
That is correct. Specifically, you gain a 'bonus' level halfway between every third level, and the level before that (for the Succubus, halfway between 8th and 9th, halfway between 11th and 12th, and halfway between 14th and 15th), until you have half the original CR 'refunded'. (EDIT: Oh, and you use the monster's CR as their starting level - there's no such thing as a Level Adjustment. For Succubus, which is CR 7th, a starting Succubus is 7th level.)

jiriku explains the justification for this - and again, I'm trying to make sure it comes out equivalent, in the end, to playing the monster from 7th level with the entire racial ability stack in place (though the racial class scheme I have built does Gestalt four hit dice out by 16th level).