PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Table of Elementals - GO!

WickedWizard17
2011-10-09, 05:36 PM
Hey, remember those Titanium elementals and Chlorine elemental Redcloak used in the battle for Azure City? Well, I want to know the rules to use them in my own D&D game. My DM is way into chemistry, and I know she'd love this. So, the rules - GO!

veti
2011-10-09, 05:49 PM
Well, when a Helium elemental attacks, you have to speak in a sqeaky voice for the next ten minutes.

Gold elementals have a pathological aversion to dwarfs, and will run as fast as they can from anyone sporting a beard, helmet and hammer.

When a Lithium elemental shakes hands with a Water elemental, the resulting explosion does (the smaller elemental's hit dice) in damage in a 30' radius and blinds everyone within 120'. (After 10 minutes, make a Reflex save to regain eyesight.)

ORione
2011-10-09, 06:22 PM
Dragons and half-dragons are immune to the attacks of gold elementals.

Kurald Galain
2011-10-09, 06:24 PM
Silver elementals have big bonuses against lycanthropes.

Unnilquentium elementals explode immedaitely when you summon them.

Neon elementals don't do anything, since they're inert.

veti
2011-10-09, 07:05 PM
Neon elementals DO glow with a horrible reddish-orange colour when struck by electrical attacks.

Hydrogen elementals, in any air-filled environment, will immediately float to the top of the atmosphere, making them completely useless for any activity that requires them to be in one place for more than one round.

Flourine elementals can be used to confer a permanent +1 to bite or tusk attacks for any creature.

Silicon elementals combine fantastic mathematical ability with enormous breasts.

Cranica
2011-10-09, 07:12 PM
Oxygen elementals add a size category to all fire elementals nearby.

Procyonpi
2011-10-09, 07:55 PM
Flourine elementals can be used to confer a permanent +1 to bite or tusk attacks for any creature.

I don't get this one.

Kish
2011-10-09, 08:47 PM
I don't get this one.
Fluoride is good for teeth.

Indaer
2011-10-09, 08:54 PM
Iron elementals and Oxygen elementals have rust elemental offspring

Arsenic elementals have a poison attack against most living creatures (maybe some abominations are immune to that effect)

Mr.Bookworm
2011-10-09, 09:00 PM
Plutonium elementals mean that you get to tell your players that their characters all died of cancer after the adventure.

I think someone actually did this before, though. Saw it in the homebrew section.

EDIT: Yep. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152072)

Aurenthal
2011-10-09, 09:46 PM
Iron elementals and Oxygen elementals have rust monsters offspring

Arsenic elementals have a poison attack against most living creatures (maybe some abominations are immune to that effect)

there fixed it for you

KoboldRevenge
2011-10-09, 10:49 PM
Carbon, Hydrogen and oxygen combine to make a sugar compound which has a +3 bonus to persuasion via sweetness!

rewinn
2011-10-09, 10:52 PM
Carbon, Hydrogen and oxygen combine to make a sugar compound which has a +3 bonus to persuasion via sweetness!

... and cancels the tooth-strengthening effect of Florine/floride elementals!

====

Meanwhile, Irony elementals cause verbal expression to have the opposite effect, e.g. Power Word Stun! becomes Power Word Awaken!

A sodium elemental and a chlorine elemental are combined in the process of creating a Nacl (also known as a Salt Lich).

A Lithium elemental grants its summoner immunity to Crushing Despair and similar mind-depressing spells.

Hbgplayer
2011-10-09, 11:01 PM
Nirtrogen [spelling?] Elementals give a +2 check to all plant based attacks, and give a -2 on attacks against plants.

Einsteinium is the smartest of all elementals, with an INT score of 18.

GSFB
2011-10-09, 11:02 PM
Hydrogen and Oxygen elementals combine to summon a fire elemental that is immediately dismissed by the arrival of a water elemental.

ORione
2011-10-09, 11:13 PM
Hydrogen and Oxygen elementals combine to summon a fire elemental that is immediately dismissed by the arrival of a water elemental.

Which, ironically, is made out of two Hydrogen elementals and an Oxygen elemental.

Edit: Oh, that's what you were saying. Carry on.

t209
2011-10-09, 11:22 PM
Sodium elemental + Chlorine Elemental = Salt Elemental

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-09, 11:42 PM
Sodium elemental + Chlorine Elemental = Salt Elemental

Only if they are both submerged in a Water Elemental first.

Zerg Cookie
2011-10-10, 01:24 AM
Two hydrogen elemntals may fuse into a helium elemental and a buttload of energy

dtilque
2011-10-10, 02:07 AM
Two hydrogen elemntals may fuse into a helium elemental and a buttload of energy

Actually, that would take 4 hydrogen elementals. Or two deuterium elementals.

A neodymium elemental could combine with an iron elemental to make a +10 lodestone.

Zerg Cookie
2011-10-10, 02:11 AM
Actually, that would take 4 hydrogen elementals. Or two deuterium elementals.

You're right. I'm so ashamed of myself right now.

Darth V.
2011-10-10, 02:27 AM
Mercury Elementals have the same attacks as water elementals but do more damage due to the greater density and have a chance of dealing explosive damage per hit, they also have a chance of exploding if hit with a fire attack which deals extra damage to the elemental but also significantly increases the damage and area of effect of the fire spell, they also do ability score damage due to toxicity.
Iron elementals are basically earth elementals with increased AC, and damage and a crapload of damage reduction.
Oxygen elementals can engulf people causing them to quickly die of oxygen poisoning, otherwise functioning similar to air elementals
Lead elementals cause ability score loss by an effect similar to poison, they are also immune to alot of magic.
Magnesium elementals have the ability to generate a blinding flash.

Eldan
2011-10-10, 03:15 AM
Lead elementals used to be great artists, though, before the graphite elementals stole that from them.

Graphite elementals, by the way, turn into diamond elementals when they take enough bludgeoning and fire damage in the same round.

Ranzear
2011-10-10, 03:45 AM
Wouldn't most elementals of elements that have a normally solid state instead be considered golems?

For that matter... (http://1d4chan.org/images/4/43/Neutronium_golem_page.png)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 07:25 AM
Wouldn't most elementals of elements that have a normally solid state instead be considered golems?

For that matter... (http://1d4chan.org/images/4/43/Neutronium_golem_page.png)

No. Golems are a result of intelligent, mortal design. Elementals are a result of.......well they are physical manifestation of pure elemental forces.

The Pilgrim
2011-10-10, 07:27 AM
Helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon and radon elementals all have the Aristrocrat NPC class added to their templates.

Uranium elementals have a +10 to diplomatic checks intended to solve social situations.

Phishfood
2011-10-10, 07:41 AM
You're right. I'm so ashamed of myself right now.

or two hydrogen elementals make a smaller helium elemental

Anyhoo.

So, we have the Lead elemental which will protect you from plutonium elementals.

Then we have the Uranium (235) elementals - the only creature that mitd can win "who hits lightest" against.

<edit>

THATS what mitd is!

Eldan
2011-10-10, 07:45 AM
Radium elementals glow in the dark and can always tell the local time.

Zerg Cookie
2011-10-10, 07:59 AM
or two hydrogen elementals make a smaller helium elemental

I don't think that would be stable

Hbgplayer
2011-10-10, 09:17 AM
Then we have the Uranium (235) elementals - the only creature that mitd can win "who hits lightest" against.

<edit>

THATS what mitd is!

A plutonium elemental can lose also.

Argon elemental s allow a piece of burning carbon to light up the world.

Incom
2011-10-10, 09:58 AM
Copper and Silver elementals attract nearby electricity-based attacks and don't take much damage from them.

KoboldRevenge
2011-10-10, 10:19 AM
Hydrogen, oxygen, sulfur, carbon Elementals make a rubber monster That defects most physical attacks, and has a +9 to jump and bounce checks.

ORione
2011-10-10, 11:16 AM
Copper and Silver elementals attract nearby electricity-based attacks and don't take much damage from them.

Same with gold elementals.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 11:52 AM
Fine Plantium Elementals make Air Elementals (or Hydrogen and Oxygen Elementals) into Steam Elementals.

raymundo
2011-10-10, 11:55 AM
Fine Plantium Elementals make Air Elementals (or Hydrogen and Oxygen Elementals) into Steam Elementals.

Why would that be the case?

Alagaesian
2011-10-10, 12:06 PM
Aluminum can withstand an understandable fire attack without taking damage and gain a lethal touch-based burning attack due to its high heat conductivity. If a fire attack causes it to reach zero hp, then it melts into a sloshy puddle that people would be fools to step in.

Note: this is why you shouldn't weld aluminum.

Or, alternatively, aluminum elementals can wrap around creatures and food items to hold them immobile while a fire elemental cooks them.

WickedWizard17
2011-10-10, 12:15 PM
Lol I showed this to my DM (the one who's into chemistry) and she almost died laughing and said, "Okay, we have GOT to use these . . ." Keep going, y'all! This is fantastic. :smallbiggrin:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 01:08 PM
Why would that be the case?

Super small amounts of Platinum is a catalyst. One reaction that is catalyzed by super small amounts of platinum is the synthesis of Hydrogen and Oxygen gases into Water in the gaseous state, aka steam.

King of Nowhere
2011-10-10, 01:33 PM
Noble gases elementals should be immune to acid (they don't react), electricity (electricity don't make them react), cold or heat (again, cold and heat don't make them react). Except maybe the heavier noble gases, that should only have dr against cold (they condense).

Aluminium elementals have no dr against acid, but can opnly take a limited amount of damage from those sources every round (passivation). If an aluminium elemental takes enough damage from heat, it becomes an aluminium oxide elemental.

mercurium elementals dissolve every metal item they come in contact with. Cause severe poisoning to living creatures, too.

bberillium elementals cause bleeding damage (berillium stops blood from coagulating).

diamond elementals are immune to piercing and slashing damage. Instead, the damage is dealt to the weapon. They are also immune to acid, cold and electriccity, but they are quite vulnerable to fire and bludgeoning. They are probably extinct, since no adventurer would pass up one of those.

those are the only additions i ccan come up to the old thread linked by someone before

t209
2011-10-10, 01:39 PM
Only if they are both submerged in a Water Elemental first.

Then become salt water elemental; they have +5 damage to iron elemental but have little effect on Zinc Elemental.

Hbgplayer
2011-10-10, 02:32 PM
Potassium elementals, while they're small, relieve mussel cramps of those around them, but mix them with water elementals, and you get a gigantic explosion and fire elemental.

silversaraph
2011-10-10, 03:30 PM
The only elementals that can defeat an aluminum elemental are gallium and mercury.

Three Nitrogen elementals form an extremely unstable explosive in contact with most metal elementals.

Iodine elementals reduce the damaging affects of radioactive elementals.

GSFB
2011-10-10, 03:58 PM
In any given round, there is a 1/100 chance (roll 00 on d%) that a Plutonium elemental spontaneously becomes a normal Thorium elemental and a special Helium elemental that is both immune to and unable to cast electricity effects.

Manga Shoggoth
2011-10-10, 04:15 PM
Then become salt water elemental; they have +5 damage to iron elemental but have little effect on Zinc Elemental.

That's a neat solution.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 04:18 PM
That's a neat solution.

I think this is an over reaction.

rewinn
2011-10-10, 04:31 PM
TRAVEL ADVISORIES FOR THOSE SEEKING TO VISIT THE ELEMENTAL PLANES:

Do not bring large quantities of cash when travelling to the 51st Elemental Plane, due to the presence of Anti-money.

The 95th Elemental Plane is the Hotel Californium; travel there is strictly one-way.

OTOH, the 36th Element Plane is a Super place to visit.

Pip
2011-10-10, 06:01 PM
Neutronium Partimentals have an apathy attack.

... but they never bother to use it.

Protonium Parimentals are always on your side.

Electonium Parimentals are always charged up, but no one can ever figure out exactly where they are.

Dalek-K
2011-10-10, 06:06 PM
Neon elementals DO glow with a horrible reddish-orange colour when struck by electrical attacks.

Hydrogen elementals, in any air-filled environment, will immediately float to the top of the atmosphere, making them completely useless for any activity that requires them to be in one place for more than one round.

Silicon elementals combine fantastic mathematical ability with enormous breasts.

Florine is only good for baby teeth, to much will actually weaken and destroy adult teeth. This is why you don't want to get Florine treatments, use Florine toothpaste, and drink public drinking water (waaay to much Florine in that).

:)

Thorium Elementals would have tons of potential energy (maybe you can siphon their energy some way and make it arcane energy for more spells) but are not good weapons

(Look up thorium reactors btw) :)

fibonacciseries
2011-10-11, 01:55 AM
If a Magnesium Elemental is hit with a fire attack, everyone needs to make a DC 15 Reflex save or be blinded for 10 rounds.

werik
2011-10-11, 02:04 AM
A sodium elemental and a chlorine elemental are combined in the process of creating a Nacl (also known as a Salt Lich).

Of course, if you get a Huge Sodium Elemental and a Huge Chlorine Elemental together they form a Great Salt Lich.

Phishfood
2011-10-11, 05:37 AM
Hydrogen and Flourine Elementals combine to form a lethal acid attack that instantly dissolves all equipment and thus can not be blocked. People who die to this attack are buried in a mop bucket.

Eldan
2011-10-11, 06:31 AM
Radon elementals can hide inside earth elementals. If locked in small rooms, they produce clouds that deal constitution damage.

warmachine
2011-10-11, 07:09 AM
Such elementals have a variety of useful properties, as demonstrated by Redcloak, but risks the attention of certain, elder gods, particularly Aristotle, who fear the resurrection of the terrible Mendeleyev. Alchemy, principally shaped by Aristotle, is a mess but is free from the tyranny of accuracy, consistency and completeness, which suppresses magic. The historic battle between Aristotle and Mendeleyev was for the very laws of the cosmos and Aristotle was losing badly until the strange god, Gygax, from another cosmos, pummelled Mendeleyev into non-existence. That is why Gygax is revered by all.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-11, 08:31 AM
Of course, if you get a Huge Sodium Elemental and a Huge Chlorine Elemental together they form a Great Salt Lich.

This has been stated before, and I'll state it again. Only if meet inside a Colossal Water Elemenetal!

King of Nowhere
2011-10-11, 10:49 AM
Such elementals have a variety of useful properties, as demonstrated by Redcloak, but risks the attention of certain, elder gods, particularly Aristotle, who fear the resurrection of the terrible Mendeleyev. Alchemy, principally shaped by Aristotle, is a mess but is free from the tyranny of accuracy, consistency and completeness, which suppresses magic. The historic battle between Aristotle and Mendeleyev was for the very laws of the cosmos and Aristotle was losing badly until the strange god, Gygax, from another cosmos, pummelled Mendeleyev into non-existence. That is why Gygax is revered by all.

I think mendeleyev won, but gygax saved aristotle by making him escape to an alternate dimension where he could survive.

Draconi Redfir
2011-10-11, 10:57 AM
Urainium elementals set off a 500ft explosion when killed.

Wardog
2011-10-11, 02:24 PM
Florine is only good for baby teeth, to much will actually weaken and destroy adult teeth. This is why you don't want to get Florine treatments, use Florine toothpaste, and drink public drinking water (waaay to much Florine in that).

:)

In any case, it would have to be a fluoride paraelemental that would grant the bite-attack enhancement.

A fluorine elemental would instead bestow the OMGIMDYINGHORRIBLY!!! status effect.

Savil
2011-10-11, 04:06 PM
It's even nastier when you add organic chemistry to the mix. :smallsmile:

...Day 16. Venturing further into Alchemist Paradise Plane. Today we encountered a Protein Elemental, looted 3d6 food rations from it.
Day 17. Ambushed by a group of Lipid Elementals. Girls failed their Will saves and ran away screaming. Weird. I didn't even feel an Intimidate check.
Day 18. Our scout reported a couple of Alcohol Elementals ahead. That's probably an easy fight.
Day ???. Ugh, my head... What is this place?

From the diaries of Ray the Substance Hunter

Hbgplayer
2011-10-11, 04:53 PM

Day 17. Ambushed by a group of Lipid Elementals. Girls failed their Will saves and ran away screaming. Weird. I didn't even feel an Intimidate check.

Ah, those pesky fat elementals! :smallbiggrin:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-11, 05:28 PM

When Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen, and Carbon Elementals interact, they create Giants with unsually high Int and Cha as well as max ranks in Perform (Educational Song). And regular elephants.

rewinn
2011-10-11, 11:32 PM
Of course, if you get a Huge Sodium Elemental and a Huge Chlorine Elemental together they form a Great Salt Lich.... on the border between the Sodium and Chlorine Planes, there probably is a Salt Lich City.

werik
2011-10-12, 02:24 AM
... on the border between the Sodium and Chlorine Planes, there probably is a Salt Lich City.

I naturally assumed so.

veti
2011-10-12, 04:41 AM
When Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen, and Carbon Elementals interact, they create Giants with unsually high Int and Cha as well as max ranks in Perform (Educational Song). And regular elephants.

I think I speak for more people than care to admit it when I say: huh?

ref
2011-10-12, 09:57 AM
They only might create such giants.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-12, 10:26 AM

Look up They Might be Giants and Meet the Elements. Pay close attention to the words.

They only might create such giants.

:smallredface: Yes, your right. But they will still create regular old elephants just the same. But I'm glad I'm not the only nerd that picked up on that.

RecklessFable
2011-10-12, 10:41 AM

And summon Chinese food delivery. (They all have neon "open" signs around here)

martianmister
2011-10-12, 01:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwch8yNwlTM

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-12, 01:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwch8yNwlTM

You can skip to 1:45 mark and understand my reference, but it is a generally entertaining song so I suggest listening to its entirity.

Sylthia
2011-10-12, 06:15 PM
A secondary effect of contact with alkali elementals (Li et al) is that they automatically give you their valence electron, causing you to take a -1 penalty on all rolls. The alkaline earth elementals are even worse, they give you two electrons and give you a -2 penalty.

rewinn
2011-10-12, 07:06 PM
A secondary effect of contact with alkali elementals (Li et al) is that they automatically give you their valence electron, causing you to take a -1 penalty on all rolls. The alkaline earth elementals are even worse, they give you two electrons and give you a -2 penalty.

...unless, of course, you have the proper Ion Stones!

CletusMusashi
2011-10-13, 01:31 AM
Krypton elementals are very strong, very fast, very damage resistant, can fly, and can disguise themselves as ordinary humans simply by putting on a pair of glasses.
However, they lose all of their powers when in close proximity to each other. Also, nobody really likes having them in their game, because they're too powerful.

Phishfood
2011-10-13, 02:01 AM
Krypton elementals are very strong, very fast, very damage resistant, can fly, and can disguise themselves as ordinary humans simply by putting on a pair of glasses.
However, they lose all of their powers when in close proximity to each other. Also, nobody really likes having them in their game, because they're too powerful.

:D

Guess that means Einsteinium elementals have an int score of 35.

Also if 10 sodium elelemtals combine they summon batman.

Onyavar
2011-10-13, 07:20 AM

What do you think they power their airships with?

Vorthon
2011-10-13, 08:56 AM
What do you think they power their airships with?

I'm pretty sure they'd use helium elementals. Y'know, seeing as they're less likely to go 'BOOM!' when struck by lightning or exposed to fire.

Xiander
2011-10-13, 09:04 AM

I am intrigued, Please explain.

TaRix
2011-10-13, 09:56 AM

Sadly, it'll only summon the Adam West Batman, if a bard is doing the combining.

Let's see... a sulfur elemental would be interesting. Normally, it'd just provide a diplomacy penalty to all but demonkind (bad smell, but reminds netherfolk of home), but combined with other elementals... water and air would make a corrosive attack.
A fire elemental would either ignite or melt (or very well both) the thing, sacrificing the elemental for a vicious stinky napalm attack.

It could also become a component for a big fireball spell.

Wanda V'Orcus
2011-10-13, 10:09 AM
A lithium elemental negates a barbarian's rage ability within a 20-foot radius...

:smallamused:

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

GreenSerpent
2011-10-13, 02:02 PM
I just had a homebrew idea from this discussion about Sodium and Chlorine elementals - Saltform monsters, created by fusing a Sodium elemental and a Chlorine elemental into one host creature. *dashes to my Homebrewing table*

Forealms
2011-10-13, 05:07 PM

If I know my batman at all, I think it would require 16 total.

WickedWizard17
2011-10-15, 12:21 AM

HA. HA. HA. HA. But if they meet someone as powerful as they are, they will give a fantastic speech and then punch them through half a dozen skyscrapers.

Raddish
2011-10-15, 10:07 PM

I am gonna go with a guess here but I think they mean the "Na Na Na Na Na Na Na" thing before the word Batman in the theme tune or something at some point in time.

ORione
2011-10-15, 11:02 PM
I am gonna go with a guess here but I think they mean the "Na Na Na Na Na Na Na" thing before the word Batman in the theme tune or something at some point in time.

Oh, I was wondering. That's clever, but was a bit to subtle for me. Thanks.

silversaraph
2011-10-16, 09:11 AM

PFFT, hahaha... I actually laughed out loud when I got that. :smallbiggrin:

t209
2011-10-16, 06:23 PM
Tungsten Elemental!

Hbgplayer
2011-10-20, 01:29 PM
One must make a DC 15 fortitude save or be nauseated for 1d6 rounds when near a sulfur elemental.

Platinum elementals are extremely rare, heavy, and are worth an extreme amount of money if killed and sold.

KoboldRevenge
2011-10-20, 02:51 PM
I'm forty percent Tungsten! (Bang! Bang!)

Chuck Peirce
2011-10-21, 09:37 AM
Well, when a Helium elemental attacks, you have to speak in a sqeaky voice for the next ten minutes.

The counterpoint to a helium elemental would be a sulphur hexafluoride (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaKDLWsWfSM) elemental. It's a compound, I realize, but if "air" is an element, sulphur hexafluoride elementals should be allowed for the sake of the joke.

silversaraph
2011-10-22, 07:13 PM
The counterpoint to a helium elemental would be a sulphur hexafluoride (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaKDLWsWfSM) elemental. It's a compound, I realize, but if "air" is an element, sulphur hexafluoride elementals should be allowed for the sake of the joke.

Xenon also works for this, and it has the benefit of not being a major greenhouse gas.

Chuck Peirce
2011-10-22, 10:24 PM
Xenon also works for this, and it has the benefit of not being a major greenhouse gas.

Woo, nice. One of xenon's isotopes is also a major fission product poison.

What are the rules for specifying isotope? A competent wizard observing the fissioning of a U-235 or Pu-239 elemental should be allowed the opportunity to counter the reaction (pending a successful Knowledge: Radionuclides check) by casting Summon Xe-235 elemental as a free action, since the fissioning produces Xe-235, and Xe-235 poisons the fissioning. Success would indicate that the Xe-235 elemental absorbed enough of the neutrons to make the other elemental's reaction occur subcritically (i.e.: without a "kaboom" of any significance), and the end result would be a Xe-236 elemental under the control of the wizard doing the countering. A failed knowledge check would summon a fission product with a smaller cross-section for neutron absorption, determined randomly according to the usual bimodal distribution of fission products for whichever elemental was fissioning.

Quick question for the OP: when you said your DM was a chemistry buff, did that include nuclear physics?

irenicObserver
2011-10-26, 03:17 PM
Someone already did this. I also don't think it has enough to do with OoTS to be in this forum. Maybe the Homebrew one.

DracoDei
2011-10-26, 03:38 PM
Someone already did this. I also don't think it has enough to do with OoTS to be in this forum. Maybe the Homebrew one.

Yes it was in homebrew, someone linked it on the first page, but people may have missed it because it was an edit.

KoboldRevenge
2011-10-26, 05:30 PM

Well you just brought back the thread. If you hadn't posted that it probably would have just disapeared.

Coat
2011-10-28, 09:22 AM
Boron Elemental. Explains its own properties very very slowly, and in excruciating detail.

Manganese Elemental can't make its own mind up about how positive it's going to be, but is always a fetching purple colour.

The Polonium Elemental was due to appear, but was summoned behind a curtain in the Queen's bedroom and got stabbed by the prince.

Phosphorous Elemental. Keep away from sparks and open flames.

Geordnet
2011-10-29, 10:55 AM
While this thread has a much lighter tone than that one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152072), I'll post here to avoid thread necromacy.

That table's pretty nice, but I think it could use a few tweaks. (and what can't?)
For example, the same reaction with water is used for all the Alkali Metals; which is fine for simplicity, but I think it needs scale to the element. (As in, Lithium merely burns, while Caesium or Francium explodes.)

I think I might start a(nother) homebrew thread for this. :smalltongue:

silversaraph
2011-10-29, 06:46 PM
If you can't Helium or Curium, you Barium!

Stormlock
2011-10-29, 10:22 PM
Molbydenum elementals are the only living elementals, can Raise Dead at will, and slaying one causes an existential crisis.

Thorium elementals can call lightning, wield really heavy hammers, and gain a +10 to disguise checks when crossdressing (don't ask me how an elemental cross-dresses.)

Hbgplayer
2011-10-29, 11:12 PM
If you can't Helium or Curium, you Barium!

No, no, NO! Not puns! :yuk:

Onyavar
2011-10-31, 09:28 AM
While this thread has a much lighter tone than that one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152072), I'll post here to avoid thread necromacy.

That table's pretty nice, but I think it could use a few tweaks. (and what can't?)
For example, the same reaction with water is used for all the Alkali Metals; which is fine for simplicity, but I think it needs scale to the element. (As in, Lithium merely burns, while Caesium or Francium explodes.)

I think I might start a(nother) homebrew thread for this. :smalltongue:

I'm afraid. Very afraid.

Kyronea
2011-10-31, 09:48 AM
Fluoride is good for teeth.

Only to a very limited extent. Past a certain dosage, you get absolutely zero benefits, and very quickly begin having negative effects. Which is why adding fluoride to the water supply when we already have so much coming from various foods, from toothpaste, mouthwash, etc is an extremely bad idea, not just from a health standpoint but from an operational standpoint since dosing with fluoride is both extremely dangerous AND will add extra things like extra amounts of sodium to the water, because of the compounds you have to make in order to be able to dose with fluoride to begin with...

But I digress. Carry on.

rewinn
2011-10-31, 06:06 PM

Definitely no puns....Otherwise, Flourine elementals would get a bonus for repairing castle damage (but not if the damage was to ceilings or walls).:smallwink:

Hbgplayer
2011-10-31, 06:13 PM
Definitely no puns....Otherwise, Flourine elementals would get a bonus for repairing castle damage (but not if the damage was to ceilings or walls).:smallwink:

I am guessing that you are referring to Florence, Italy?

Raddish
2011-10-31, 08:07 PM
Or possibly a reference to the first sound in flourine being the same as the sound of floor? At a guess anyway.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-31, 08:17 PM

I guess you missed my pun-tastic post earlier in the thread :smallannoyed:

Hbgplayer
2011-10-31, 09:24 PM
I guess you missed my pun-tastic post earlier in the thread :smallannoyed:

Apparently...
I still don't see it. :smallconfused:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-31, 10:04 PM
That's a neat solution.
I think this is an over reaction.

This one. I may have exaggerated my claim a bit. But don't over react. I'm sure we can find an equilibrium point here. Or we could table the discussion. It was an elementary level pun. Water under the bridge. How many more puns can I milk the magnesia out of this? None, apperently.

:smalltongue:

Ya, I went there.

rewinn
2011-11-01, 05:43 PM
Or possibly a reference to the first sound in flourine being the same as the sound of floor? At a guess anyway.

Yes, "flooring" and "flourine" sound quite a bit alike if you soften the terminal "G".

BTW the Flooring Element's opposite would be a small carbon elemental, a.k.a. a "C-ling".

Tass
2011-11-02, 11:02 AM
Yes, "flooring" and "flourine" sound quite a bit alike if you soften the terminal "G".

BTW the Flooring Element's opposite would be a small carbon elemental, a.k.a. a "C-ling".

It does? :smallconfused:

I pronounce the first vowel of fluorine like in "poor" or "moo". I pronounce floor differently despite it having two 'o's. (And for the record the ending of the word like the ending of "brine")

But english is not my native language, I just would never have guessed that english speakers pronounced it like "florin'" and therefore I didn't get the pun.

Willis888
2011-11-02, 12:00 PM
On a critical miss, Osmium elementals will crash into ground, shatter, and need to be re-summoned.

Bismuth elementals can spontaneously cast Divine and Arcane spells with caster level equal to their hit dice.

Argon elementals wear eye-patches.

Zubrowka74
2011-11-02, 12:09 PM
Two Nitrogen elementals will combine with one Oxygen elemental to form the Sweet Air Elemental wich has a permanent Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter area of effect centered arount it.

TaRix
2011-11-02, 12:57 PM
A Gallium elemental is liquid at body temperature yet solid at room temperature. So, with a reasonably-distanced torch (which all dungeoneers carry, right?) and a good pair of impermeable gloves (gallium's toxic, like mercury), it can be molded into a convincing likeness of any metallic grey item. Great for hiding in an armory or for replacing a silver idol.

A silver elemental, useful for fighting whatever sort of evil silver stuff affects, is also the most reflective elemental. When freshly summoned, it can reflect whatever light is available to attempt to blind foes or light up more shadowy nooks. This wears off as tarnish sets in, but can be refreshed with the right polishes or alchemical treatments.

Threeshades
2011-11-02, 01:42 PM

Wouldn't they also violently burst into flame and immediately burn up?

Potassium elementals, while they're small, relieve mussel cramps of those around them, but mix them with water elementals, and you get a gigantic explosion and fire elemental.

A sizable explosion, but by no means gigantic.

Hbgplayer
2011-11-02, 11:04 PM
Argon elementals wear eye-patches.

Why? :smallconfused:
And please don't tell me it's some sort of pirate-joke, such as Arr-gon. :smallannoyed:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-02, 11:14 PM
Why? :smallconfused:
And please don't tell me it's some sort of pirate-joke, such as Arr-gon. :smallannoyed:

I'll give you a hint: It is.

iErnie
2011-11-03, 01:13 AM
Bismuth elementals can be converted into 2 gp in a process that costs 200,000 gp and 16 years. They can also detect big fires by melting.

Edit: Oops, someone already used the "philosopher's stone".

Kish
2011-11-03, 08:52 AM
It does? :smallconfused:

I pronounce the first vowel of fluorine like in "poor" or "moo".
I don't know anyone who pronounces "poor" and "moo" with the same, or even a terribly similar, vowel sound in real life.

KoboldRevenge
2011-11-03, 09:55 AM
Well it's come to this.

I'd tell you a chemical joke but all the good ones have already been used...
What? :smalltongue:

harhau
2011-11-03, 04:57 PM
Osmium elementals are the densest and most durable of the elementals, making it hit very hard but move slowly and have a poison gas aura that smell bad
Iridium elementals is almost as powerful as osmium, except that it is colorful insteand of dull gray, and do not have the poison gas aura
Palladium may absorb 900 hydrogen elementals of the same size

Mr.Tickles
2011-11-03, 08:44 PM
Unnilseptium Golem disintegrates within one round, causing massive radiation damage. Kill it in one turn for lots of XP.

Cinnabar Golems explode through walls shouting "Oh YEAAAAAH" before clobbering you to death.

Wanda V'Orcus
2011-11-06, 10:10 AM
Looks like the periodic table of elements just got that much bigger:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45171271/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.Trai93H2Lu1

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

martianmister
2011-11-17, 06:32 AM
Looks like the periodic table of elements just got that much bigger:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45171271/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.Trai93H2Lu1

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

To be fair, they are pretty much useless as Elementals. :smallyuk:

Raimun
2011-11-18, 12:58 PM
Bilver elementals have high DR that can't be bypassed.

Raimun
2011-11-18, 01:13 PM
Also, since Fire Elementals are Elementals, there should be other elemental chemical reactions.

Like Explosion Elementals. They are continous explosions taken form. Anyone within certain distance is deafed, takes damage from (continous) blast waves and is pushed back. Anyone touching an Explosion Elemental takes 10d6 damage, ref saves.