PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief

KotserB
2011-10-09, 05:48 PM
Hi Playground,

in two weeks, a 3.5 campaign of us starts and id like some help creating my next character.
my current character is a Dragonborn Goliath barbarian 2/fighter 4/frenzied berkserker 2 which obviously isnt going to survive long but awesome to play (i have wisdom 4).
eversince ive discovered the spellthief ive been shouting out how awesome it is even though i know it really sucks. So most of the players asked: do you know a fun class to play. My answer was of course: SPELLTHIEF.
eventually they dared me to play spellthief myself and i accepted.

what i want to do is create either a viable character or a character which is really going to piss off my teammates. only requirement: 1 level spellthief which is actually being used in the build.

what ive got now is a Tiefling Spellthief 1/Duskblade 5/Jade Phoenix Mage 2.

Some info on the campaign: we can take up to LA 1 races including templates, tier 1 classes are banned and our party looks like this:

* Aasimar Incarnate
* Dark Sun Elf Shadowcaster (as in Sun Elf with the Dark Creature template, using the Shadowcaster fix)
* Dragonborn Goliath Barbarian/Frenzied Berzerker (me!)
* a Dark Deepwyrm Half-Elf Bard
* Half-Vampire Changeling Warlock
* [unknown race] Psion, unstatted due to player arriving very late

any ideas?

EDIT: anyone knowing cool builds with Gnome as race: plz post them. this has got absolutely nothing to do with the spellthief.

hex0
2011-10-09, 06:13 PM
Pick up the planar handbook and play a Neraph. You get a free sneak attack once per enemy per encounter. So, free stealing of spells. If you don't want to play a bumpy toad dude (although they have nice racial features and are la +0), there is a feat that mimics their racial ability. Since you get a free +1 LA, I'd reccomend the Dark template.

Though you might want to take a iniator class to reduce the feat tax. But I am guessing you are just trying to get into JPM asap, right? :smallwink:

I'd go Spellthief 1/Duskblade 5/Warblade 1/JPM 1 myself. Because I like feats...And you are going to want need Master Spellthief at 6th.

Grendus
2011-10-09, 07:21 PM
Like most 1/4 spellcasting classes, Spellthief is very much like a melee build - you dip for the good stuff and jump ship when you're done. Spellthief 1/Rogue 1/Duskblade 3/Chameleon 10 is one of my favorite gish builds. You get 2d6 sneak attack, spellcasting, spell channeling, all the chameleon goodness, and, of course, spellstealing (if you take Precocious Apprentice on Duskblade you can qualify for Master Spellthief. By RAW you can add your Chameleon caster level when you have one, even though you can't use it to qualify).

I'm not sure about your projected build. You'll be spending all your feats qualifying for JPM, and you don't have a particularly good spellcasting class to progress - Duskblade spellcasting is mediocre at best. I'd recommend a good sneak attack gish, something like Spellthief 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 5/Arcane Trickster 10. You get +8d6 sneak attack damage, permanent Nondetection with a CL equal to your own (which, if you take the Master Spellthief feat, is your character level+1), Impromptu Sneak Attack, spellstealing, and 19th level wizard casting.

There are a few drawbacks - you don't have any martial weapon proficiencies and pitiful hit dice, so you'll have to either use a crossbow or find a way to get longbow proficiency. Your hit dice are, as mentioned, very low, so you'll probably want to use ranged weapons. Other than that, though, there are no feat requirements, and you'll have so many skill points that meeting the skill requirements for your PrC's will be a breeze. You'll be a lethal caster and a powerful rogue. Should work very well.

gallagher
2011-10-09, 07:27 PM
see, if you are going to be waving the spellthief flag, you should devote your first spellthief build a little more towards spellthief, instead of only a dip. spellthieves are playable 1-20

and they are actually not a terrible class. they are like rogues with fewer skillpoints but has a spell list.

hex0
2011-10-09, 07:38 PM
see, if you are going to be waving the spellthief flag, you should devote your first spellthief build a little more towards spellthief, instead of only a dip. spellthieves are playable 1-20

and they are actually not a terrible class. they are like rogues with fewer skillpoints but has a spell list.

Actually I like his/her build other than the feat tax. JPM has some channeling stuff too like duskblade, iirc

I do like Spellthief a lot especially up to Absorb spell. But this is more of a hybrid gish build. A little sneaky, a little spell-thievery, a little bit of manuevers. Versatile.

Also to the other post. Tier 1 is banned.

Grendus
2011-10-09, 08:57 PM
Actually I like his/her build other than the feat tax. JPM has some channeling stuff too like duskblade, iirc

I do like Spellthief a lot especially up to Absorb spell. But this is more of a hybrid gish build. A little sneaky, a little spell-thievery, a little bit of manuevers. Versatile.

Also to the other post. Tier 1 is banned.

You can substitute any spellcaster for wizard. Sorcerer is inarguably the most powerful choice, but Beguiler or Warmage can work (Warmage would have to spend a feat on Extra Spell to get a second divination spell, so you'd want to shuffle your build a bit. Something like Spellthief 2/Warmage 4/Unseen Seer 5/Arcane Trickster 8/X 1). Beguiler would play up the skillmonkey role, using illusions to confuse enemies and open them up to sneak attacks. Warmage would be a devastating blaster, using powerful ray and orb spells for massive bursts of sneak attack damage then following up with the standard warmage schtick.

Talionis
2011-10-09, 09:40 PM
I like Spellthief 5 for Steal Spell Like Ability. Get a familiar, improve it, make it an Imp. Steal its spell like abilities such as at will invisibility. Steal Earthglide from your reserve feat summon elemental. Stuff like that is fun and uses the spellthief abilities.

Make sure to take Gods Blood Spelltheft and or the feat that allows you to cast Domain spells so that you can get yourself some higher level spells to cast if you steal a spell you don't want to cast. Sandshaper is also a prestige class that lets you add a lot of spells to your spellist.

I agree you also need to get into Jade Phoenix Mage to use quicken strike. Arguably a lot of its powers can use spells you steal as well.

Oh yeah and this link may help: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299

Rapidghoul
2011-10-09, 11:50 PM
I like Spellthief 5 for Steal Spell Like Ability. Get a familiar, improve it, make it an Imp. Steal its spell like abilities such as at will invisibility. Steal Earthglide from your reserve feat summon elemental. Stuff like that is fun and uses the spellthief abilities.

This sounds like a tremendous amount of fun; I might have to try it out when I get the chance to play a Spellthief.

I've toyed with the idea of Spellthief quiet a bit. Mixing in levels of Beguiler fits well thematically (sneak attack / cloaked casting, grabbing "Distract Assailant" through Advanced Learning, having access to Invisibility and Silence, etc.). The tricky part there is to not fall into just playing straight Beguiler (which is what I did when I was planning out this character).

The Spellthief I have ready for an upcoming campaign is close to Grendus's suggestion. Spellthief X / Warmage 4 / Unseen Seer 2 / Spellwarp Sniper 5 / X (maybe Arcane Trickster).

Warmage keeps with Cha casting and gives plenty of damaging spells. You can get a Divination spell through the Eclectic Learning ACF (PHBII). It takes up a higher level than normal, but it saves you from needed to invest more levels / a feat to get into Unseen Seer.

USS then gives you more SA damage, Silent Spell, and Advanced Learning for ANY Divination spell of appropriate level (Hunter's Eye (PHBII) adds even more SA damage, but is not the only option, especially if you take this level later in the build and have higher level spells).

Spellwarp Sniper then lets you take damage spells (lots, thanks to Warmage), turn them into rays, and sneak attack with them. The class also increases your SA damage (through Sudden Raystrike) and increases the range at which you can do so.

At 12, you have 2d6 SA and 2d6 SR damage, which is what you'd have if you went straight Spellthief anyway. Hunter's Eye gives another 4d6, and that's on top of full caster levels backing your Warmage spells. Plus, the potential of stealing a mage's spell only to use it on him and steal another one is a lot of fun.

Feats-wise, grabbing Master Spellthief is obvious. Adding in Ranged Recall (CM) and Split Ray (CAr) to Spellwarp Sniper makes for great fun and effectiveness. You need Point Blank Shot for SS, but the rest of your feats are wide open.

All in all, this is 11 non-Spellthief levels, leaving plenty of room for whatever you want to fit in the build.

EDIT: Sort of stopped mid-sentence at one point. Reworded to make sense.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-09, 11:56 PM
Master Spellthief with Unseen Seer would offset the CL penalty, wouldn't it?

KotserB
2011-10-10, 10:22 AM
Hi responders,

I really appreciate your help! After a day i've seen a lot of ideas and suggestions.
the one that particularly tickles my interest is the one with Spellthief 5 with an Imp. If i understand it correctly it can cast invisiblity at will and i can indefinetely steal it as long as it allows me to.
how exactly do i get the imp as a familiar?

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-10, 10:39 AM
how exactly do i get the imp as a familiar?

1. Obtain Familliar (feat from Complete Arcane). Requires CL3 and minimal ranks in Know (arcana).

2. Improved Familiar (core feat, also in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar)). You must have CL7 to take an imp.

hex0
2011-10-10, 11:06 AM
1. Obtain Familliar (feat from Complete Arcane). Requires CL3 and minimal ranks in Know (arcana).

2. Improved Familiar (core feat, also in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedFamiliar)). You must have CL7 to take an imp.

Invisibility is nice for stealing spells, but the Neraph trick is probably the best (it is EX, too). Three levels of Arcane Trickster let you do it 1/day with no penalty or chance of messing up.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-10, 11:10 AM
Invisibility is nice for stealing spells, but the Neraph trick is probably the best (it is EX, too). Three levels of Arcane Trickster let you do it 1/day with no penalty or chance of messing up.

Familiars are your pets, and can probably be assumed to be willing creatures. You can thieve from a willing creature without any issue.

Dictum Mortuum
2011-10-10, 12:32 PM
Actually, that invisibility at will is too good.

You can steal his invisibility at will repeatedly and cast it on yourself. Once you get the level 7 absorb spell, just choose to absorb the invisibility casted on you. Poof! Unlimited 2nd level and lower spells at level 7.

KotserB
2011-10-10, 03:39 PM
Alright, so the way to achieve an Imp is as I thought only did my list of feats fail..

I really like the idea of invisibility at-will.
The options I have right now (I have to reread the other ideas ppl posted to completely understand them):
-Spellthief 1/Duskblade 5/Warblade or Swordsage 1/JPM 1 (forgive me for my mistake earlier on)
- Spellthief 5/probably Duskblade 3 or something else (with improved familiar, invisibility at-will yay)
- Spellthief 8 (itll give me absorb spell which is awesome as Fax Celestis pointed out in his guide plus i qualify for prestige classes which require level 2 arcane spellcasting)

ill give you an update on this asap

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-10, 03:42 PM
Don't forget that Master Spellthief doesn't apply to the Steal SLA ability, as written. I believe that Steal SLA caps you out at stealing SLAs up to one third of your Spellthief level, which would mean you'd need at least Spellthief 6 to steal Invisibility.

That being said, you could probably talk to a DM about having Master Spellthief apply to the Steal SLA ability as well.

KotserB
2011-10-10, 03:50 PM
Good point, I'll talk to him.

another question: about this Imp that can be acquired caster level 7.
Does that mean I have to take the Improved Familiar feat at level 9?
Or can I choose it as a level 1 feat and decide to replace the familiar I have at level 6 as soon as I reach 7 (and the campaign starts at 8)?

Talionis
2011-10-10, 06:23 PM
Actually, that invisibility at will is too good.

You can steal his invisibility at will repeatedly and cast it on yourself. Once you get the level 7 absorb spell, just choose to absorb the invisibility casted on you. Poof! Unlimited 2nd level and lower spells at level 7.

Invisibility from the Imp is a spell-like ability, so it doesn't work with the same mechanics as Steal Spell. I have heard of other loops you can get that do work, but I don't remember them.

hex0
2011-10-10, 06:34 PM
-Spellthief 1/Duskblade 5/Warblade or Swordsage 1/JPM 1 (forgive me for my mistake earlier on)

I like this the best. Better with Warblade, of course. Very gishy and also sneaky.

- Spellthief 5/probably Duskblade 3 or something else (with improved familiar, invisibility at-will yay)

You'll not be able to get your imp because you won't have enough caster levels. You need 2nd level spells for Master Spellthief.

- Spellthief 8 (itll give me absorb spell which is awesome as Fax Celestis pointed out in his guide plus i qualify for prestige classes which require level 2 arcane spellcasting)

Absorb spell is very tasty, but Spellthief spellcasting is extremely meh. You'd be better off jumping ship to a prc with its own list.

Side note: did you check out Neraph or the feats?

KotserB
2011-10-11, 02:20 AM
I agree with you that the build with JPM is (probably by far) the best build, although I have to agree with some guy that if I'm gonna play Spellthief I might want more then 1 level (although that's not what my prerequisites were).

about the feats and the Neraph: not yet, I've been reading through Fax' guide and have been working on school as well. But i think i can work through your suggestions 2day.

Dictum Mortuum
2011-10-11, 02:40 AM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867410/Master_Spellthief_(a_mini-guide) --> awesome

Talionis
2011-10-11, 07:16 AM
What are the prestige classes that add high level spells. I agree that you'll want to use about 9 levels of Spellthief, but it really stinks to have such low casting. So that might make it a better, more well rounded.

KotserB
2011-10-11, 11:51 AM
I've read through your suggestions and the result is:
First of all, I think I'd really enjoy playing something as Spellthief 1/War Mage something (i thought 6 to qualify)/Spellwarp Sniper 1 (up to 5 in the future). The only problem i see (so far) is that some spells would require me to first hit a ranged touch attack and then a save (such as with the orbs of acid, fire etc.) if i want to apply sneak attack damage (and stealing spell(s)).

Furthermore, I've looked at the Unseen Seer and the Arcane Trickster and I both dont like them (but thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it :D). The Trickster basically gives you extra sneak attack and 1 free sneak attack max (the campaign wont last that long, trust me). The Ranged Legendermain isn't very useful either imo, and the prereqs are a bit complicated; ill need a level in something with sneak attack before I get the +2d6 and I need 6 levels in a spellcasting class which also has Mage Hand on its list, so the i qualify level 8, which isnt worth it imo for its benefits.

About the Unseen Seer, the only option I see to acquire the divination spells without taking four levels spellthief and using all my known spells with divination spells is to play beguiler, which isnt that much of a damage dealer with his spells, where the Unseen Seer is. Besides that, I don't like divination spells in general (but also whoever brought this up: thanks, 'preciate it! :D).

When reading Arcane Trickster, i crossed Arcane Archer and the Assassin.
My question: Are there posibilities with these prestige classes. I really like the level 1 ability i beileve it is from Arcane Archer, where you put a spell in your arrow, Imbue Arrow? If I remember it well, you can put touch spells in it and sneak attack with them, which is really fun.

About the Assassin, it has a spell list, with level 2 spells at 3rd level (i have to ask though if prepared casters are allowed), an instakill and uncanny dodge. Is it useful to combine this with a spellthief in any way?

hex0
2011-10-11, 11:54 AM
What are the prestige classes that add high level spells. I agree that you'll want to use about 9 levels of Spellthief, but it really stinks to have such low casting. So that might make it a better, more well rounded.

Sublime Chord? I guess Prestige Bard and SC could be worked in, but I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Chameleon works wonders with master spellthief, but you need 2nd level spells from yet another source to use it as Chameleon doesn't 'count' for anything.

Suel Arcanamach is an option, but it delays JPM.

Most PRCs with their own list are CHA based, though. Trapsmith has a nice list (that enables Swiftblade, of course), but I think the build is solid already.

Rapidghoul
2011-10-11, 05:10 PM
About the Unseen Seer, the only option I see to acquire the divination spells without taking four levels spellthief and using all my known spells with divination spells is to play beguiler, which isnt that much of a damage dealer with his spells, where the Unseen Seer is. Besides that, I don't like divination spells in general (but also whoever brought this up: thanks, 'preciate it! :D).

You get True Strike as a Warmage (Divination), and you can use Eclectic Learning (an ACF from PHBII) to get any wizard spell you want rather than just Evocation of one level lower (like Detect Magic) to get the second Div spell. That said, all Unseen Seer really only offers is SA (1d6 SA and a spell that gives 1d6/3 CL), so you can certainly pass it up if you don't like the feel.

...Arcane Archer and the Assassin.

Arcane Archer would be sort of like Spellwarp Sniper, just putting spells into arrows instead of rays. I think it works with more spells, but it doesn't have the perk of being a touch attack. Assassin can also work. It gives you useful sneak spells like beguiler would, but trades off versatility for sneak attack. Combining death attack with steal X would be interesting.

Talionis
2011-10-11, 05:38 PM
Unseen Seer, I like for a two level dip in order to get Hunter's Eye off the Ranger (PHB2) list that adds 1/3 times your character level to your Sneak Attack dice. I usually drop out after that so that I don't loose caster levels.

hex0
2011-10-11, 05:50 PM
Unseen Seer, I like for a two level dip in order to get Hunter's Eye off the Ranger (PHB2) list that adds 1/3 times your character level to your Sneak Attack dice. I usually drop out after that so that I don't loose caster levels.

Nice choice. You could also do a divine class into Prestige Ranger, if that's allowed, for about the same dip worth.

KotserB
2011-10-12, 05:25 PM
Once again, I've taken a look at the Unseen Seer and I've come up with this build:
Spellthief 1/Warmage 4/Unseen Seer 2/Spellwarp Sniper 1

I do like this build; you can stay in the back, behind your tanky friends, (althought we dont have those atm in the campaign) deal some pretty nice damage and steal spells.

I'll have to see what can be done with the Assassin and the Arcane Archer and then decide what build to take.

Piggy Knowles
2011-10-13, 10:24 AM
It's a bit cheesy, but what about a Spellthief who takes two levels in Arcane Archer and finishes out Nar Demonbinder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030502a&page=2), using Master Spellthief to boost CL as high as possible? Use Imbue Arrow to fire off long-range Blasphemies with 30+ CL.

KotserB
2011-10-13, 04:41 PM
First of all: That'll take you about 10 levels before you can go in the PrC (or did i miss something).

second: i really dont like conjuration things.

but thx for the suggestion :D

hex0
2011-10-13, 04:59 PM
Once again, I've taken a look at the Unseen Seer and I've come up with this build:
Spellthief 1/Warmage 4/Unseen Seer 2/Spellwarp Sniper 1

Might want to work some Prestige Bard in as the Warmage spell selection isn't great and you would instantly know all the Bard only spells as well. Doesn't work as well with Spellwarp Sniper, but it does get you into Sublime Chord, if you are still want to do that.

Talionis
2011-10-13, 06:08 PM
I'm curious if you could pull off Spellthief entering Thaumaturgist with arcane disciple or God's Blood Spelltheft adding the Celestial Domain, since it has lesser planar ally as a fourth level spell. Thaumaturgist is a five level class and at the capstone ability that lets you have an outsider as a cohort. With a good enough cohort that you can steal special abilities and spells it could be really fun. An interesting extra ability is that many of the spell-like abilities that outsiders get only have limited uses per day, but when a spellthief steals them, the creature that has the spell or spellike ability gets the spell back eventually. So it lets you add an enormous amount uses per day of some of these powerful spells.

KotserB
2011-10-14, 10:37 AM
Okay, I have a few questions after the last two posts:

- what is prestige bard
- what is thaumaturgist (or whatever its spelled)
- what is arcane disciple
- what is godsblood spelltheft

Fax Celestis
2011-10-14, 10:40 AM
Prestige Bard. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard)

Godsblood Spelltheft. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606)

Thaumaturgist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/thaumaturgist.htm).

KotserB
2011-10-14, 02:18 PM
I have one last question about the Spellthief 1/Warmage 4/Unseen Seer 2/Spellwarp Sniper 1

My BAB is +3 and my base saves are +1 fort +1 ref +11 will.

Does anyone see a problem here (and if yes how to fix it)?

Another question just comes to my mind: How am I going to sneak attack easily. I cant flank enemies and if im right i cant just hide.

hex0
2011-10-14, 02:46 PM
google fractional saves and BAB. A lot of people use it...

Another question just comes to my mind: How am I going to sneak attack easily. I cant flank enemies and if im right i cant just hide.

Play a Neraph (planar handbook)

Fax Celestis
2011-10-14, 02:57 PM
I have one last question about the Spellthief 1/Warmage 4/Unseen Seer 2/Spellwarp Sniper 1

My BAB is +3 and my base saves are +1 fort +1 ref +11 will.

Does anyone see a problem here (and if yes how to fix it)?

Wand of wracking touch, grease, invisibility, blindness/deafness (blind enemies are flat-footed), blink, black tentacles, entangle, armor lock, distract assailant, bands of steel...

KotserB
2011-10-14, 03:52 PM
Those are some viable options i guess.
Sorry if my questions seem a little stupid, ive only had 1 real campaign so far.

btw: i remember our group talking about fractional saves and BAB. but i have to ask.

hex0
2011-10-14, 04:07 PM
War Mage doesnt have the skills to get into Unseen Seer. Beguiler does it better.

Spelltief1/Beguiler 4/Unseen seer 2/Prestige Bard 1?

KotserB
2011-10-14, 04:27 PM
Prestige Bard isnt allowed and Beguiler is not combat orientated where the other level are.

and by the way: the War Mage does if you take the alternate class feature from PHB II Ecletic Learning; it lets you take any spell from the wizard/sorcerer spell list, but it must be 1 level lower then the highest you can cast.

hex0
2011-10-14, 04:41 PM
You won't be able to entry Unseen Seer from Warmage very early because they don't have the skills needed on their list, though.

Can you take Rainbow Servant from Warmage instead. It is a classic build. :smallwink:

Edit: But do use eclectic learning. Warmages need it bad. Still out of all the build I like the Spellthief/Duskblade/Warblade/JPM the best. Warmage is just a one trick pony. :smallsigh:

KotserB
2011-10-14, 07:36 PM
I can enter Unseen Seer at 6th level. First level Spellthief, then 4 levels Warmage, I dont see a problem (except for low skill points, probably bad saves and BAB since I think we dont allow fractional saves)

hex0
2011-10-14, 07:49 PM
I can enter Unseen Seer at 6th level. First level Spellthief, then 4 levels Warmage, I dont see a problem (except for low skill points, probably bad saves and BAB since I think we dont allow fractional saves)

You need 8 ranks of hide, search, and spot for Unseen Seer. These are all cross-class for Warmage so the soonest you could enter would be Spellthief 1/Warmage 8, Spellthief 2/Warmage 6, etc.

KotserB
2011-10-14, 07:55 PM
I have to take spellthief before Unseen Seer otherwise i cant get to 8 ranks in those skills. then only sense motive is a cross class skill.

hex0
2011-10-14, 08:20 PM
But youd still have a max of 4 skills for them being in class and 4 levels of cross class. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm) At level 5 you could have 6 ranks via Spellthief 1/Warmae 4, no matter how you slice it...

Please click the link...

KotserB
2011-10-15, 06:28 AM
Ooh is that the rule in the books?
I guess its a houserule then in our group; we can invest skill points in any skill that is a class skill from any of our classes, regardless where the skill points come from.

Rapidghoul
2011-10-20, 11:20 AM
Or you could take a level of Spellthief right before Unseen Seer. It has the high ranked skills (Hide, Search, and Spot), and taking it last would allow you to invest max skill ranks.

Edit: You still run into the sheer number of ranks you need (Warmage 4 gives 2 in each, meaning you need 6 more in each, 18 total). Unless you have 34 int, you can't do that in a single level. You'd need to do Spellthief 1 / Warmage 3 / Spellthief again to gain entry by level 6 (or 7, if you still go Warmage 4).

hex0
2011-10-20, 11:46 AM
Can you use the Trickster variant of Spellthief? (Dragon #353) You don't really need Warmage then...

suhkkaet
2011-10-20, 12:28 PM
After reading this thread, I really want to make a spelltheif/spellwarp sniper. Sounds perfectly awesome.
Now, that spell which creates a dagger (or something) of force which automatically moves to flank (and attack) a target.. What's that called? Hopefully, it'll be a spell we can use often (or find a wand of).

Quick question, the miniguide link posted earlier says Spelltheif can only get the Master Spelltheif feat by lvl8. Is this correct? I mean, if you can steal (and subsequently cast) a 2nd level arcane spell, doesn't this count as the ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells?
Or will you be forced to dip into another class for quicker entry? (Which might be nice, considering the spellwarp sniper casting prereq)

Fax Celestis
2011-10-20, 12:47 PM
After reading this thread, I really want to make a spelltheif/spellwarp sniper. Sounds perfectly awesome.
Now, that spell which creates a dagger (or something) of force which automatically moves to flank (and attack) a target.. What's that called? Hopefully, it'll be a spell we can use often (or find a wand of).

Quick question, the miniguide link posted earlier says Spelltheif can only get the Master Spelltheif feat by lvl8. Is this correct? I mean, if you can steal (and subsequently cast) a 2nd level arcane spell, doesn't this count as the ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells?
Or will you be forced to dip into another class for quicker entry? (Which might be nice, considering the spellwarp sniper casting prereq)

Stealing spells does not qualify you for things. Thank god, otherwise the spellthief could get into pretty much any PrC ever.

Can a Spellthief use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast spells of X level? Can he use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast a specific spell? Can he use his Steal Spell-Like Ability ability to qualify for prestige classes that require a specific spell-like ability (such as any prestige class that requires Eldritch Blast)?

Page Number: 16
Book Name: Complete Adventurer

Response (Support Agent) 06/26/2007 03:08 PM
James,

Thank you for writing. The Steal Spell ability does not qualify the Spellthief for prestige classes that require spellcasting ability, regardless of the spell stolen.

Basically, Steal Spell is a class feature that lets you emulate spellcasting, but isn't actually spellcasting. For the same reason, Steal Spell-Like Ability doesn't let you get into warlock PrCs.

Flickerdart
2011-10-20, 01:02 PM
Persistent Blade, SpC.