PDA

View Full Version : Spell channeling through natural weapons.

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 06:21 PM
Is it possible to channel spells through natural weapons?

Let's say I'm a Sorcerer (serpentine bloodline) level 4, spellsword level 4. Sorcerers with the Serpentine bloodline gain Bite attacks. With the spellsword ability, can I channel a spell into the bite attack? It doesn't say in the Spellsword ability. But with my Hexblade/Warshaper combonation, that'd be pretty cool.

hex0
2011-10-09, 07:11 PM
Is it possible to channel spells through natural weapons?

Let's say I'm a Sorcerer (serpentine bloodline) level 4, spellsword level 4. Sorcerers with the Serpentine bloodline gain Bite attacks. With the spellsword ability, can I channel a spell into the bite attack? It doesn't say in the Spellsword ability. But with my Hexblade/Warshaper combonation, that'd be pretty cool.

It just has to be a melee attack, same as Duskblade.

Mockingbird
2011-10-10, 12:41 PM
It just has to be a melee attack, same as Duskblade.

My build is now win.
Thanks! :P

Elric VIII
2011-10-10, 12:45 PM
I'm relatively sure that somewhere in Tome and Blood it says that the free touch attack you get upon casting a touch range spell may be made with a natural weapon. I'll see if I can find that rule.

Fax Celestis
2011-10-10, 12:48 PM
...you can do that anyway.

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Elric VIII
2011-10-10, 01:14 PM
So, from what I can find, it depends on your reading of holding the charge.

You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target.

Since you can move after casting the spell, then make an attack in the same round, this may be considered holding the charge. Therefore you should be able to use any form of delivery (unarmed Strike, natural weapon, or touch attack) with your bonus attack from casting a touch spell.