PDA

View Full Version : Shields and natural attacks.

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 06:25 PM
I'm stupid for asking this, but can you use a shield and natural attacks at the same time? Like two claws and a bite, while using a shield?

Urpriest
2011-10-09, 06:29 PM
There aren't any definitive rules on the subject, but generally in monster statblocks when a monster is using their hand for something they can't also claw with it.

tyckspoon
2011-10-09, 06:29 PM
Depends on the shield. Generally, you can't use the same limb for more than one thing at a time; you would have to choose between making an attack with an arm's natural weapon or using the shield bonus to AC in each turn (assuming the shield, like a Buckler, permits using a weapon- heavy and light shields do not.)

Shields in general do not interfere with natural attacks in any way other than that.

Mockingbird
2011-10-09, 06:30 PM
Depends on the shield. Generally, you can't use the same limb for more than one thing at a time; you would have to choose between making an attack with an arm's natural weapon or using the shield bonus to AC in each turn (assuming the shield, like a Buckler, permits using a weapon- heavy and light shields do not.)

Shields in general do not interfere with natural attacks in any way other than that.

It'd probably be a buckler. I just found out I'm proficient with shields (not tower shields) and medium/heavy armor, too bad my party's in the middle of the jungle. :P