PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the casting time of "Apocalypse from the Sky"

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 07:53 PM
I was wondering if this were possible. I seem to recall it being so, but I don't know if it actually is.

jaybird
2011-10-09, 07:57 PM
If you can get -4 Metamagic, you can Quicken it. Not at all impossible - PF has a feat that allows you to apply one metamagic for free to a spell.

On a related note, does Prismatic Sphere protect from Apocalypse from the Sky? The indigo layer, I believe, stops all spell effects...

Flickerdart
2011-10-09, 07:59 PM
If you can get -4 Metamagic, you can Quicken it. Not at all impossible - PF has a feat that allows you to apply one metamagic for free to a spell.
If Apocalypse from the Sky takes more than one full round, it can't be Quickened. Does it?

Frosty
2011-10-09, 07:59 PM
I was wondering if this were possible. I seem to recall it being so, but I don't know if it actually is.
I have no idea what that spell is, but for some reason I keep thinking of Lavos :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 08:00 PM
Apocalypse from the sky has a casting time of 1 day.

HunterOfJello
2011-10-09, 08:02 PM
Arcane Archers can use Imbue Arrow as a Standard Action to cast a spell onto an arrow, shoot it at a target, and have the spell go into effect where the arrow was shot.

The PrC is core, but I doubt your DM will let you use the ability along with a spell that has a 1 day casting time.

*edit*

For reference, the book it comes from is the Book of Vile Darkness.

Apocalypse from the Sky
Conjuration (Creation) [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 9
Components: V, S, M, Corrupt
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: Personal
Area: 10-mile radius/level, centered
on caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Material Component: An artifact,
usually one of good perverted to this
corrupt use.
Corruption Cost: 3d6 points of Constitution
damage and 4d6 points of
Wisdom drain. Just preparing this spell
deals 1d3 points of Wisdom damage,
with another 1d3 points of Wisdom
damage for each day it remains among
the caster’s prepared spells

Flickerdart
2011-10-09, 08:06 PM
Apocalypse from the sky has a casting time of 1 day.
Then it can't be Quickened.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 08:09 PM
Arcane Archers can use Imbue Arrow as a Standard Action to cast a spell onto an arrow, shoot it at a target, and have the spell go into effect where the arrow was shot.

The PrC is core, but I doubt your DM will let you use the ability along with a spell that has a 1 day casting time.

It doesn't matter anyway since I can't qualify. I'm not an elf or a half-elf.

ericgrau
2011-10-09, 08:35 PM
Takes an average of 5 reincarnates to fix that. Lot of catching up on levels though. Or if you use pathfinder then it only takes a few thousand gp on restorations and 10 weeks (again, on average).

Darthteej
2011-10-09, 08:48 PM
I'm surprised you're asking how to do this as a Player Character, the spell is almost certainly intended to be used as a plot hook. I assume you have the nessecary major artifact to proceed?

Why do you even need to shorten the casting time?The spell has a radius of 10 Miles/CL, which leaves you at least 340 miles to work with. Just teleport to a secluded area, pitch up a lead tent, and launch your nuke in peace.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 08:52 PM
I'm surprised you're asking how to do this as a Player Character, the spell is almost certainly intended to be used as a plot hook. I assume you have the necessary major artifact to proceed? Yep.

Why do you even need to shorten the casting time?The spell has a radius of 10 Miles/CL, which leaves you at least 340 miles to work with. Just teleport to a secluded area, pitch up a lead tent, and launch your nuke in peace.

I don't need to, I'd like to. I was just wondering if it were possible. If I feel inclined to end the world, I'm sure I can manage to kill a day while I do so, I was just wondering if there were a way to actually end the world on a whim.

Also, I'm not wasting time trying to qualify for Arcane Archer. I like my character's race as it is.

ericgrau
2011-10-09, 09:34 PM
Aww but hiring a druid to stab you and raise you repeatedly is great for the lols.

If it wasn't a 9th level spell you could do it as a standard with wish. Perhaps there's an epic way. Or maybe if you got leadership and had a cohort to teleport you the moment you finished casting.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 09:38 PM
Aww but hiring a druid to stab you and raise you repeatedly is great for the lols. I'm still in character creation. I just don't want to be an Elf or Half-Elf:smalltongue:

There's probably a way to do it with Epic magic, I'd just rather not.

Jack_Simth
2011-10-09, 09:44 PM
Major Ring of Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#spellStoringMajor). It's a day's work to cast it into the ring, but the ring is a command-word item, so it's a standard action to trigger it after the fact.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 09:46 PM
Major Ring of Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#spellStoringMajor). It's a day's work to cast it into the ring, but the ring is a command-word item, so it's a standard action to trigger it after the fact.

Edit: Casting time is equal to original casting time of the spell with a minimum of 1 standard action.

Psyren
2011-10-09, 10:17 PM
Get a Planar Shepherd cohort to bubble in a fast-time plane around you?

RaggedAngel
2011-10-09, 10:20 PM
Rapid Spell from Complete Divine reduces the casting time of a spell that has a very large casting time, but the wording makes me think it may not work on Apocalypse from the Sky.

Rapid Spell

Prerequisite: none

Benefit: Only spells with a casting time greater than 1 standard action can be made rapid. A rapid spell with a casting time of 1 full round can be cast as a standard action. A rapid spell with a casting time measured in rounds can be cast in 1 full round. Rapid spells with casting times measured in minutes can be cast in 1 minute, and rapid spells with casting times measured in hours can be cast in 1 hour. A rapid spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Flickerdart
2011-10-09, 10:32 PM
Rapid Spell doesn't work, because Apocalypse From The Sky doesn't have a casting time measured in hours.

ericgrau
2011-10-09, 10:33 PM
I got an idea. Is there any way to change a personal spell into a touch spell? Then you could cast it, hold the charge, then release the charge wherever you want.

Hmm, maybe try this (but beware of flying DMGs):

Share Spells
At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

deuxhero
2011-10-09, 10:37 PM
Rapid Spell doesn't work, because Apocalypse From The Sky doesn't have a casting time measured in hours.

The only requirement is that the spell take longer than a standard action/ 1 day=24 hours (setting dependent). Profit.

ericgrau
2011-10-09, 10:40 PM
Incidentally 1 hour/level is also 60 minutes/level but that does not count as being measured in minutes. I believe attempting to reduce the casting time of a spell measured in 1 or more days falls under #ERROR-UNDEFINED.

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 10:42 PM
Incidentally 1 hour/level is also 60 minutes/level but that does not count as being measured in minutes. I believe attempting to reduce the casting time of a spell measured in 1 or more days falls under #ERROR-UNDEFINED.

Yeah. Sad that that's how it works.

Also, this game takes place over the internet. I'm immune to flying DMGs.:smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2011-10-09, 10:51 PM
The only requirement is that the spell take longer than a standard action/ 1 day=24 hours (setting dependent). Profit.
Nope. The feat only allows you the following:
Full round: Cast as a standard.
Rounds: 1 full round.
Minutes: 1 minute.
Hours: 1 hour.
The feat does not explicitly allow you to cast spells with casting times measured in days. And yes, while you can measure a day in hours, in the spell's rules text it is not measured in hours, and is thus ineligible. Quite simple.

Big Fau
2011-10-09, 10:57 PM
Uncanny Forethought, from Exemplars of Evil (fitting).

Allows you to spontaneously cast it as a Full Round action, ala Alacritous Cogitation (from CM), minus the whole errata problem.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-09, 11:07 PM
Find a way to convert it to a (Su) ability, I think Dweomerkeeper works IIRC, all (Su) abilities default to a standard action unless otherwise noted.

I think it might also bypass the Artefact material component.

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-09, 11:07 PM
One way to do it is somewhat roundabout.

Be a cleric with the trickery/planning domain or really any domain that gives timestop.
Divine Metamagic Persist and divine metamagic delay so time stop lasts 24 hours and enhance apocalypse from the sky with delay so that 5 rounds after the timestop ends it triggers. This allows you to leave the area so you aren't nuked as well.

It should be noted that it is debated wether or not you can persist time stop but I am on the side that it can be. (I am also of the side that says a DMG will be thrown at your head if you do that :smallbiggrin:)

Mystic Muse
2011-10-09, 11:11 PM
One way to do it is somewhat roundabout.

Be a cleric with the trickery/planning domain or really any domain that gives timestop.
Divine Metamagic Persist and divine metamagic delay so time stop lasts 24 hours and enhance apocalypse from the sky with delay so that 5 rounds after the timestop ends it triggers. This allows you to leave the area so you aren't nuked as well.

It should be noted that it is debated wether or not you can persist time stop but I am on the side that it can be. (I am also of the side that says a DMG will be thrown at your head if you do that :smallbiggrin:)

Nah. I'm not going to do this for several reasons.
1. Aforementioned DMG throwing.
2. Highly debated. I want something that's sure to work.
3. The other side states it could screw me over.

What book is Dweomerkeeper from again?

AMFV
2011-10-09, 11:15 PM
Shadowcraft Mage can cast conjuration (creation) spells with the casting time of Shadow Conjuration... It does take the regular shadowcraft mage cheese to do that, but if that's okay with you that'd work.

Edit: Also Shadow casting uses only the components of shadow conjuration... meaning no artifacts, meaning much cheaper casting. You could call an apocalypse every day if you so desired.

jiriku
2011-10-09, 11:15 PM
Find a way to convert it to a (Su) ability, I think Dweomerkeeper works IIRC, all (Su) abilities default to a standard action unless otherwise noted.

Unfortunately, the dweomerkeeper's supernatural spell ability only works on spells that already have a casting time of 1 standard action.

Edit: Dweomerkeeper is in the Complete Divine Web Enhancement.

Silva Stormrage
2011-10-09, 11:17 PM
Nah. I'm not going to do this for several reasons.
1. Aforementioned DMG throwing.
2. Highly debated. I want something that's sure to work.
3. The other side states it could screw me over.

What book is Dweomerkeeper from again?

Just thought I would add it to be thorough

Chess435
2011-10-09, 11:34 PM
One web enhancement, coming right up. You're welcome. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a)

DoctorGlock
2011-10-10, 02:47 AM
Use the archmage SLA ability then take supernatural transformation
Use the faerun "innate spell" (the one that makes it a 3/day SLA without using a slot 8 levels higher) feat, then take supernatural transformation
Play a shadowcraft mage

Kefkafreak
2011-10-10, 03:37 AM
Shadowcraft mage can cast a shadow version of it, ignoring the casting time and other costs.

Swordsage'd

ILM
2011-10-10, 05:11 AM
Shadowcraft Mage can cast conjuration (creation) spells with the casting time of Shadow Conjuration... It does take the regular shadowcraft mage cheese to do that, but if that's okay with you that'd work.

Edit: Also Shadow casting uses only the components of shadow conjuration... meaning no artifacts, meaning much cheaper casting. You could call an apocalypse every day if you so desired.
Hell, you can do it every round until you run out of spell slots.

Calanon
2011-10-10, 06:32 AM
I'm surprised you're asking how to do this as a Player Character, the spell is almost certainly intended to be used as a plot hook. I assume you have the nessecary major artifact to proceed?

You don't need a major artifact >_> you just need an artifact of good alignment (Angel Tears in the book of vile darkness counts as a good aligned artifact and is the easiest to get if you don't mind torturing a few Good aligned outsiders to get it... sounds like a fun afternoon to me :smallamused:)

Runestar
2011-10-10, 07:32 AM
Hell, you can do it every round until you run out of spell slots.

Or heck, combine this with UA's recharge magic variant and you are casting Apoc once every 1d6+1 rounds. :smallbiggrin:

MesiDoomstalker
2011-10-10, 07:33 AM
You don't need a major artifact >_> you just need an artifact of good alignment (Angel Tears in the book of vile darkness counts as a good aligned artifact and is the easiest to get if you don't mind torturing a few Good aligned outsiders to get it... sounds like a fun afternoon to me :smallamused:)

I think if your casting a spell "Apocalypse from the Sky" and your researching a way to make it a shorter casting time just because you want to be able to cast it on a whim, I don't think he will have any issues torturing some Good aligned outsiders.

Big Fau
2011-10-10, 09:45 AM
Note: the FAQ/Update for the BoVD states that the Artifact needed is supposed to be a focus, not a material component.

Kalim
2011-10-10, 09:56 AM
It's a powerful spell, but the name is a little deceiving.

Unless the world is very, very small, or almost all creatures ever live in a big, ten-miles-per-level shaped bullseye in the middle of the continent, you'll simply kill tens of thousands of people. Which is still pretty heinous.

Now, if you could tack Fell Drain or Fell Animate onto it, you also get free wights/zombies for most of those people! Zombie Apocalypse From the Sky!

Mystic Muse
2011-10-10, 10:17 AM
Funnily, I can apparently use metamagic to make the spell good aligned.

And it's not quite world destroying, but I can hit everything in a 2,000 mile radius.

Calanon
2011-10-10, 10:21 AM

As previously mentioned this wouldn't work, however a much more interesting alternative exist in Archmage. Yes, it uses up a 5th level slot and a 9th level slot but due to the writing of Artifacts being unpricable your pretty much getting a standard action "boom i destroy the world" spell for almost* free.

*As a lover of the Archmage class I highly disapprove of using spell slots for Apocalypse from the Sky as it is very campaign changing and can really piss off a DM (Go with the standard Time stop; Its just as messed up if not more but your DM can probably find a way around it)

dextercorvia
2011-10-10, 10:30 AM
For an obscure way, a one level dip in Candle Caster can scribe a candle which takes a standard action to light, and will activate in 1 round.

Kefkafreak
2011-10-10, 10:31 AM
The damage is kind of low, it can only kill commoners and stuff. Its main use (at least for me when I play shadowcraft mage) is destroying buildings and terrain in general.

JaronK
2011-10-10, 10:52 AM
A Dwarven Runesmith could do it (Races of Stone) but he'd need a 10th level spell slot to give up to turn a 9th level spell into an Sp ability (1 standard action cast time, no focus needed). Improved Spell Capacity would handle it.

JaronK

Calanon
2011-10-10, 06:50 PM
A Dwarven Runesmith could do it (Races of Stone) but he'd need a 10th level spell slot to give up to turn a 9th level spell into an Sp ability (1 standard action cast time, no focus needed). Improved Spell Capacity would handle it.

JaronK

At level 21 a character Caster automatically gets 10th lvl spell slots, Improved Spell Capacity just gives the caster bonus 10th lvl (and beyond) spells per day for having a high casting modifier.

EDIT: After re-reading Improved Spell Capacity I will admit to being incorrect in my 21st lvl spell slots.

tyckspoon
2011-10-10, 06:56 PM
At level 21 a character Caster automatically gets 10th lvl spell slots, Improved Spell Capacity just gives the caster bonus 10th lvl (and beyond) spells per day for having a high casting modifier.

No, they don't. The spell chart based on class level ends at 9, and the default Epic rules for class progression tell us

However, spells per day don’t increase after 20th level. The only way to gain additional spells per day (other than the bonus spells gained from a high ability score) is to select the Improved Spell Capacity epic feat.

If you want 10th+ slots, you take Improved Spell Capacity. It's quite likely to be the first Epic feat you take if Epic Spellcasting is banned, but it's not automatic.

Flickerdart
2011-10-10, 06:56 PM
Incorrect. Nothing in the ELH suggests that casters gain any sort of spell slot progression after 20th level, and things like "The wizard’s number of spells per day does not increase after 20th level." dispute it outright. Without the Improved Spell Capacity feat, you cannot gain slots above 9th level, period.

Improved Spell Capacity giving you the bonus spells for a high attribute and its giving you the 10th level slot are two separate abilities. Being listed earlier, the 10th level slot is the actual primary effect, kind of hard to miss.

Jack_Simth
2011-10-10, 07:13 PM
Funnily, I can apparently use metamagic to make the spell good aligned.

And it's not quite world destroying, but I can hit everything in a 2,000 mile radius.Do note that placed "right", a 2,000 mile radius of destruction would utterly destroy most countries. Certain, particularly large countries would have outlying areas outside the area of effect... but you'd destroy most countries outright.

ericgrau
2011-10-10, 07:23 PM
It's 200 miles at CL 20.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-10, 09:49 PM
There is one way to do it; time stop metamagic for 1 day of free time and cast, with the casting time ending 1 turn after the time stop.

Big Fau
2011-10-10, 10:35 PM
There is one way to do it; time stop metamagic for 1 day of free time and cast, with the casting time ending 1 turn after the time stop.

Time Stop has been errata'ed to have a duration of instantaneous, preventing it from being Persisted for this kind of trick.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-10-10, 10:47 PM
Have a Planar Shepherd cohort and and reduce casting time to 24 minutes?

Tvtyrant
2011-10-11, 12:54 AM
Time Stop has been errata'ed to have a duration of instantaneous, preventing it from being Persisted for this kind of trick.

When did this happen??

olentu
2011-10-11, 01:02 AM
When did this happen??

Well I can recall it being in the 3.0 main FAQ but at the moment I do not recall where if anywhere else it may be.

Calanon
2011-10-11, 01:14 AM

Time Stop
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Trickery 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1d4+1 rounds (apparent time); see text
This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds. You are free to act for 1d4+1 rounds of apparent time. Normal and magical fire, cold, gas, and the like can still harm you. While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells; you cannot target such creatures with any attack or spell. A spell that affects an area and has a duration longer than the remaining duration of the time stop have their normal effects on other creatures once the time stop ends. Most spellcasters use the additional time to improve their defenses, summon allies, or flee from combat.

You cannot move or harm items held, carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal time, but you can affect any item that is not in another creature’s possession.

You are undetectable while time stop lasts. You cannot enter an area protected by an antimagic field while under the effect of time stop.

Please tell me the SRD is wrong :smallfrown: Persisted Time stop 4 dayz~

Tvtyrant
2011-10-11, 01:16 AM
...The SRD is supposed to have the errata. Unless I see evidence otherwise I am going with time stop, then cast.

Reluctance
2011-10-11, 01:20 AM
I think said "errata" was Sage Advice. A good way to bypass shenanigans, but not quite official.

olentu
2011-10-11, 01:24 AM
...The SRD is supposed to have the errata. Unless I see evidence otherwise I am going with time stop, then cast.

Actually I don't think that the real actual SRD has the errata included. Flawed copies are of course not necessarily included in that statement.

Tvtyrant
2011-10-11, 01:32 AM
Actually I don't think that the real actual SRD has the errata included. Flawed copies are of course not necessarily included in that statement.

Well the players handbook errata from the official site does not have time stop errata. So I am figuring this is a FAQ ruling or customer service.

JaronK
2011-10-11, 01:37 AM

Nope, it was a sage commentary on the topic, not an official errata.

Still shows RAI, though.

JaronK

olentu
2011-10-11, 01:41 AM
Well the players handbook errata from the official site does not have time stop errata. So I am figuring this is a FAQ ruling or customer service.

I would have to agree seeing as I can only recall it being in the 3.0 FAQ.

nazgarthe
2018-06-29, 08:34 AM

it actaully doesnt say major artifact and technically under raw a material componant pouch will supply the required artifact

it says artifact this 1 has no specified value or size. 2 doesn't specifically state a magical artifact so the fork of lies and the spoon of ambiguity would be acceptable (if you dont get the reference google lfg comic) yes rai probaply want you to use a magical artifact of atleast 100k value but the raw says otherwise.

oh also a your lead tent will get ****ed up b you will as well it doesnt say anything about buildings protecting you at all so you will be hit a prismatic sphere would block this but it would also contain it

of note this spells effects do not match its description it says it topples mountains but unless you use vehicle rules for mountains the damage hasnt got a hope in hell of breaking a mountain max damage is 60 which would struggle to kill even say a 5th level barbarian what it will do is make every single thing you hit in the minimum 300 mile diameter sphere of death that didn't die to it or building/cavern collapse royally pissed off at you potentially stiring things from the underdark that you dont want coming after you.

Its a great spell and i fully intend to use it but its not a kill the world by itself spell its a great chaos starter though use sonic and almost every object in range will be destroyed as no saves are allowed this includes attended objects so i suggest you stow yours in a pocket dimension like mordikans marvelous manour. after you cast this capitilise on the chaos to do something else thats more targeted like making a gate to the infernal plane and starting a invasion maybe in conjunction with a few well placed applications of evil weather and a band of mercenaries or 2 also should be noted resistance or immunity to sonic is a good idea for all involved as then they wont need to suffer the full effects of the spell. hit hard and fast whilst your spell has caused widespread chaos and panic.

combine it with some of the component options in book of vile darkness for more effect like a human brain to widen its effect to at least 300 mile radius for more widespread chaos. also dont forget to remind the dm of structural damage and the deaths resulting from building collapse. you should also maybe warn the dm you are planing something big that will require this kind of calculating so they can prep some or all of it including xp gained from the inevitable higher level npc deaths as buildings fall on them and kill them off theses levels could further the parties plan. also if you dont worship a really really evil diety expect to be severed from your god so only cast if you are of a appropriately depraved character (i plan on using mine as part of a ritual sacrifice to a god of destruction and war.)

nazgarthe
2018-06-29, 09:00 AM
Do note that placed "right", a 2,000 mile radius of destruction would utterly destroy most countries. Certain, particularly large countries would have outlying areas outside the area of effect... but you'd destroy most countries outright.

litraully only russia is big enough that this wouldn't exceed the entire width of a country 3426.2408 is the width in miles of Canada the second largest country in the world.

DarkSoul
2018-06-29, 02:17 PM
Even at full casting time, Apocalypse from the Sky could have been cast 2,817 times since the last time this thread was posted in before today.

Saintheart
2018-06-29, 06:50 PM
Adding to the cheese, Inscribe Rune out of Forgotten Realms will allow you to do this. Cast the spell as a rune (which takes one day), touch the rune and it fires as a standard action. Contains none of the controls that things like Imbue Arrow or command-word spell items do. Rune costs about 50 X CL x spell level.