PDA

View Full Version : Patchwork World (3.5, need lots of help)

Qwertystop
2011-10-09, 08:02 PM
I had an idea for a homebrew world. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at putting rules to ideas. So I turn to you for help with:

Patchwork World

Backstory:
The gods made the world. Unfortunately, they forgot a lot of things. What they had was a basic structure of bland, wire-frame landscape, with something wandering it that was a generic idea of life. They wanted a bit more, so they added the Semicoterminous Planes. These were planes that extended infinitely, just like the Structural Plane. In some places, they overlapped, and in those places, the wireframe was filled in. Where the Plane of Water overlapped the Structural, there were oceans, lakes, and streams. Where the Plane of Earth overlapped it, the generic ground grew hills and mountains, became dirt, mud, stone, and other things, instead of simply a broad flat surface. Where Fire overlapped, there were flames, and where Air overlapped... you get the idea. :smallbiggrin:

They then added more... "nonconventional" Planes. The Planes of Color and Light added their namesakes to a drab gray landscape. The Planes of Free Will, Inspiration, and Thought gave life more than just instincts. The Plane of Arcanum added a source of power beyond the Gods (they were bored, okay?).

Howver, this new plane weakened the rest. When the newly intelligent life discovered how to hrness Aracne Magic, it quickly became apparent that the shoddy patchwork of planes could be pulled apart. Overuse of Darkness spells weakened the connection of Color and Light in otherwise bright places. Various compulsions weakened Free Will, Thought, and Inspiration. Assorted elemental spells pulled Fire, Water, Earth, and Air into the Structural in odd places, or pushed them away in others. This went unnoticed for a long time, as it took thousands of spells to make even the smallest dents, but those dents were made.

Without as much fluff:
The world is made of overlapping planes. These planes make the world more than just an even gray block with the idea of life drifting through it. Enormous amounts of arcane magic mess with the overlapping. In an area where the overlapping is changed, so is the world. For example, if the plane of Light is absent from an area, the area will be dim, with no deep shadows or brightly lit areas.

Magic items can be made that will bind a plane to a small area around them, or force it out. This involves a 9th-level variant of Plane Shift (7th for Clerics, but no gods are willing to shift the planes for reasons other than to fix the problems caused by arcanum). To extend the above example, a wizard might bind a 5-foot sphere of overlap to the Plane of Light to a belt. In that case, if the wearer of the belt went into an area stripped of Light, they would still have a 5-foot bubble of normal lighting around them. These items are often used by Clerics to fix areas with anomalies in the overlapping, by fixing the items in the middle of the areas.

So, can anyone help me flesh this out a bit?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-10, 12:59 PM
First off: I assume the gods take an active interest in the world, then, and aren't simply a distant creator role?

Qwertystop
2011-10-10, 01:14 PM
First off: I assume the gods take an active interest in the world, then, and aren't simply a distant creator role?

They take about as much an interest as it takes for them to give clerics spells. Beyond that, not much. They have opinions, but they only really act through clerics.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-10, 01:41 PM
The concept seems pretty sound, then. However, that's all it is at the moment: a concept. The next step is to make the actual world: we know how the world works, but what IS it?

Other than the above, is it a generic fantasy world?

Qwertystop
2011-10-10, 01:51 PM
The concept seems pretty sound, then. However, that's all it is at the moment: a concept. The next step is to make the actual world: we know how the world works, but what IS it?

Other than the above, is it a generic fantasy world?

Yeah, the making of the actual world was what I needed help with. Tried to say that in the first post.

I'd say yeah, pretty much. Generic fantasy + specific elements of the patchwork. Maybe a few plot points relating to filling an especially difficult gap (like the absence of the Plane of Air) or a BBEG using an item to remove the Plane of Free Will from an area and a smaller one to keep it on him, for slaves.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-10-10, 02:01 PM
So, the next thing to decide is cultures and geography, I suppose. Are you going to stick with the cliches, or are you going to subvert them on one level or another?

Tvtyrant
2011-10-10, 03:33 PM
My question is how you want magic to interact with this world; does casting a spell make other spells of that type weaker in that area because you use up the connection? Does it make spells of the opposing type stronger? So you use a light spell, but now there is less light to balance the darkness so it actually improves the next dark spell cast. How long would such a taint last?

Can you travel into the actual planes, or are they just interacting branes that make up this one?

Qwertystop
2011-10-10, 06:16 PM
My question is how you want magic to interact with this world; does casting a spell make other spells of that type weaker in that area because you use up the connection? Does it make spells of the opposing type stronger? So you use a light spell, but now there is less light to balance the darkness so it actually improves the next dark spell cast. How long would such a taint last?

Can you travel into the actual planes, or are they just interacting branes that make up this one?

Magic has such a small effect on the overlap of the planes that it really has no mechanical effect unless you decide to make an epic spell specifically for that purpose, or if you decide to spend a few years casting the same spell from all your spell slots in the same spot.

The sort of interaction between spells you mention wouldn't happen. Arcane spells will pull the planes together (for example, a lot of [Air] spells cast underwater would eventually create a bubble of air hovering in the place of casting). Note that, as said, this is so slow that it is effectively fluff. Rules for it are unlikely to be needed.

Plane Shift would move you into the planes. All of them are treated like the Ethereal plane in that any location in one plane has a corresponding location in all the others. Wherever they overlap, you'd show up. For example, if you go to the Plane of Air, you'd show up like an ethereal creature on the Structural Plane (equivalent of the Prime Material) in any place that had air, but if you went through somewhere that was underwater or in a vacuum in the Structural Plane, you wouldn't show up, because the planes don't overlap there.

Savannah
2011-10-15, 07:42 PM
If you haven't seen them, you might want to check out the New World articles on this very site (http://www.giantitp.com/Gaming.html), as they give some really good ideas of what you should consider when writing a world.

Qwertystop
2011-10-15, 07:57 PM
If you haven't seen them, you might want to check out the New World articles on this very site (http://www.giantitp.com/Gaming.html), as they give some really good ideas of what you should consider when writing a world.

I've tried, but I just can't get it right. I suppose I was hoping someone would take my rough idea and use it as some kind of inspiration... I just can't get the details right (where "details" is anything finer than this).

Savannah
2011-10-15, 08:06 PM
Well, let me ask you this: What sorts of adventures are going to be taking place here? (Exploring the planes? Fighting mad cultists who want to separate the planes? Something else?) Knowing that is critically important to making a world, as without adventures, the world is pointless (as a D&D setting, anyway :smallwink:). I find that knowing what I want to have happen in the world often helps me figure out what I need in the world. Sure, you can make worlds to support any adventure type, but those usually come out bland and interchangeable. And, of course, you can have adventures that don't fit the theme of the world, but having the theme makes the world fit together better.

Qwertystop
2011-10-15, 08:11 PM
Well, let me ask you this: What sorts of adventures are going to be taking place here? (Exploring the planes? Fighting mad cultists who want to separate the planes? Something else?) Knowing that is critically important to making a world, as without adventures, the world is pointless (as a D&D setting, anyway :smallwink:). I find that knowing what I want to have happen in the world often helps me figure out what I need in the world. Sure, you can make worlds to support any adventure type, but those usually come out bland and interchangeable. And, of course, you can have adventures that don't fit the theme of the world, but having the theme makes the world fit together better.

That's the thing, I can't figure that stuff out to any degree I can accept well enough to keep. I've seen that I'm pretty good at thinking of new ideas, but not at fleshing them out to any meaningful degree. It took me weeks to get it to the point it's at now.

Savannah
2011-10-15, 08:18 PM
Psh, that's nothing. It can take me months to get to actually having a concrete enough idea to write down. And then I write frantically for a couple of days, then drop it for months before going on another writing jag :smalltongue: I guess the upshot is, don't sweat it if it takes a while for you to go from concept to actual written work. (And I'm afraid you'll have a hard time finding someone to just up and finish fleshing out your world -- it's the ideas that are easy to come by; most people have more than they need. Not saying it's impossible, just that you're much more likely to find people who are willing to ask questions and offer advice, but not actually write it all out for you.)

Qwertystop
2011-10-15, 09:01 PM
Psh, that's nothing. It can take me months to get to actually having a concrete enough idea to write down. And then I write frantically for a couple of days, then drop it for months before going on another writing jag :smalltongue: I guess the upshot is, don't sweat it if it takes a while for you to go from concept to actual written work. (And I'm afraid you'll have a hard time finding someone to just up and finish fleshing out your world -- it's the ideas that are easy to come by; most people have more than they need. Not saying it's impossible, just that you're much more likely to find people who are willing to ask questions and offer advice, but not actually write it all out for you.)

Well, thanks for the tips. Wish I could stick with a project that long... Unfortunately, the only thing that keeps me trying is the thought of eventual use, and that's unlikely enough that I'm surprised I kept at it for a week. I know my flaws, and that's one of them.

Savannah
2011-10-15, 09:12 PM
Aww...well, I'm happy to help out however I can, as it is quite an interesting idea (but I definitely don't have enough time to do all the work). I didn't mean to discourage you :smallfrown:

Qwertystop
2011-10-15, 09:18 PM
Aww...well, I'm happy to help out however I can, as it is quite an interesting idea (but I definitely don't have enough time to do all the work). I didn't mean to discourage you :smallfrown:

You didn't, I was already discouraged. I'm just not very good at this. Look me up on the Request a Homebrew thread for evidence. Far too much there.