PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Another Spellthief Question

CockroachTeaParty
2011-10-10, 02:04 AM
I've got a decent grasp on how spellthieves work (from Complete Adventurer). However, here's one question I'm having difficulty answering:

Does the Steal Spell ability (and all other abilities tied to sneak attack) work on creatures or persons immune to sneak attack damage/critical hits, etc?

I ask because in order to activate the spellthief's abilities, you subtract 1 or more sneak attack dice; often times, you might not even be inflicting sneak attack damage. If you flank a lich, sneak attack him, and subtract the necessary dice, what happens? You probably won't deal sneak attack damage, but could you steal a spell? Lower his energy resistance, etc?

What about the heavy fortification armor enchantment? Does that render one immune to spell thievery?

The key sentence in Complete Adventurer is "A spellthief that hits an opponent with a successful sneak attack," but I guess what I'm asking is: does a successful sneak attack equate to an attack that would have dealt sneak attack damage regardless of a target's immunities, or is a successful sneak attack defined as an attack that would actually deal damage?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-10-10, 02:13 AM
If you are immune to sneak attack, then you are by extension immune to all things that require sneak attack. Which sucks for spellthieves, but there are ways around it.