PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress IV: Urist McDwarf cancels post in thread: Too insane

Wookieetank
2011-10-10, 08:59 AM
Here is the old thread's link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148553&page=50)

Last thread started with the question:

What was the most gruesome death you've ever witnessed in that game? Once, I had a goblin cut in about 6 pieces, two of them flying at least 10 tiles away and the head landing 1 vertical level higher than the trap..

Not to forget the blood... :smallfrown:

We'll start this one off with, what has been the most epic failure of dwarven engineering that you've witnessed?

Seeing as how I'm only in my second fort I can't really add to this list just yet, but I'm doing what I can! :smallwink:

Direct download of the game for those unfortunate enough to have not played before or who have had a computer altering event (human induced or otherwise):Linky (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_31_02.zip)

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-10-10, 09:12 AM
I had a well hooked up to a river once. Seemed like a good way to fill it up with infinite water. Well I was a bit late on issuing the lever pull order so the well started to over flow. Next thing I know I start seeing "cancels pull lever, dangerous terrain." I learned that day that it's not a good idea to put your well's lever right by the well.

Eldan
2011-10-10, 09:26 AM
I once built a fort that could only be reached by crossing a drawbridge over a chasm about six spaces deep.

The failure? The lever to lower the drawbridge was on the outside.

Shpadoinkle
2011-10-10, 10:21 AM
In the 40d version I've had military dwarves carving up goblins so spectacularly that their limbs ended up on top of buildings 10 z-levels higher than the one they were standing on.

While I admit military dwarves in 40d were incredibly strong, I think Toady went a little bit too far the other way in 2010.

Grif
2011-10-10, 11:06 AM
Here is the old thread's link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148553&page=50)

Last thread started with the question:

We'll start this one off with, what has been the most epic failure of dwarven engineering that you've witnessed?

Seeing as how I'm only in my second fort I can't really add to this list just yet, but I'm doing what I can! :smallwink:

Direct download of the game for those unfortunate enough to have not played before or who have had a computer altering event (human induced or otherwise):Linky (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_31_02.zip)

I had my Serrated Glass Traps sent limbs flying 3 Z-levels above the trap. That's how awesome it was. Made cleanup a goddamn mess though.

Pokonic
2011-10-10, 11:18 AM

Seeing as how I'm only in my second fort I can't really add to this list just yet, but I'm doing what I can!

While using Genesis, I found that there was a group of very skilled animalmen in the caverns. Now, I had been using traps to keep my dwarfs nice and happy, so I decided to flood it with magma. Unfortunatly, rather than breaching the magma sea, I breeched hell.
Now, this was a bug, but I did not take into account of the already working magma-moving system that was already in place. As such, not only did I flood my dwarves with magma while they where in the caverns, but I also found the funhouse. It was a weird bug, considering that there was nothing to suggest it was there.

Oh, and the animalmen all lived.

Rockphed
2011-10-10, 11:23 AM
I built a perfect power system. I found an aquifer and dug a series of tubes so that the water got shunted past dozens of water wheels. The only problem? I have nowhere to put the power. I should probably build a pump tower to drag magma up to a dozen levels above the surface and proceed to riddle the landscape with magma cannons. That would be an awesome way to ward off any invaders.

Anybody else ever had a flaming forgotten beast that couldn't fly? I had one wandering around in the water cavern layer for a while. I think I killed it so I could try fishing (which didn't work).

leakingpen
2011-10-10, 11:56 AM
Yeah, flying didn't actually WORK until very recently, so dragons walked everywhere. it was actually pretty easy to take them out with stonefall traps.

I had a mountain of ice next to a volcano on a map with no water. So i tunneled under the ice, and prepared to flood it with magma, to melt ice. I had prepped a containment resevoir with a pit leading to it to catch the flooding water. I should have put it in the MIDDLE of where I was going to flood with magma. I put it to the side. So the water melted, flowed into the opening, and promptly froze a new wall, blocking my pit... then runoff melting water turned the magma to obsidian where I tapped the volcano. In attempting to reach the opening to rechannel it, My miner dug out an ice wall, which promptly melted and refroze, encasing my miner in ice.

Incomp
2011-10-10, 02:37 PM
I once started a fort on a cold map with a river. Predictably, the river was frozen when I arrived. So, to be cool, I tunneled through the frozen river so I could use drawbridges and stuff to wash away the elvish traders in rivers of...water. Anyway, for coolness's sake, I built the drawbridge system out of ice blocks I got from the river, since ice constructions don't melt...right? Right? :smallfrown:

That fort didn't last long.

GloatingSwine
2011-10-10, 03:54 PM
I had a well hooked up to a river once. Seemed like a good way to fill it up with infinite water. Well I was a bit late on issuing the lever pull order so the well started to over flow. Next thing I know I start seeing "cancels pull lever, dangerous terrain." I learned that day that it's not a good idea to put your well's lever right by the well.

Infinite Water

Infinite Water

Well there was no way that was going to go sour...

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-10-10, 05:20 PM
Well there was no way that was going to go sour...

What can I say? Losing is fun!

Necroticplague
2011-10-10, 07:58 PM
The main route into a fort I built had a trap where magma came down form above, providing pool of magma the burned enemies, and fueled a flash-boil trap (oh, the things you can do with pressure plates). I forgot to include any form of drainage, though, so it ended up pooling into an administrators room (i think it was the dude who hits your dwarfs with hammers when they break stuff). And also, enemies invading had to come through that room. That administrator died a great many times.On the bright side, he came with free hammers.

MonarchAnarch
2011-10-14, 08:16 AM
I was playing a little before work this morning, and one of the very reasons I love DF so much came about. I get notices that jobs are being interrupted by a Harpy. I go to check out what is going on and get my military moving, when I see the river below the drawbridge to my fort alternating between blue and red, I stopped and let chaos reign as I watched the simple beauty of the blood be washed away in the river.

Apparently a couple of war dogs took on the harpy. The harpy knocked one into the river, the other dragged the harpy into the river. Drowning for a drowning I guess.

This map I have forgone searching for iron to make steel and all that nonsense. I'm going straight for the beautiful blue. I've made a few bronze armors and bronze/silver weapons to get by with.

Aidan305
2011-10-14, 05:36 PM
Anyone seen this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kBedai-rk&feature=related

It describes DF almost perfectly as far as I can tell.

iyaerP
2011-10-15, 05:51 AM
When I was building a magma cannon, I discovered that it is possible to pressurize magma if you are using pumps. Rather than a magma cannon, I ended up with a magma lake. Only a few brave dorfs lost their lives as the site for the statue that would for the cannon's mouth was thankfully below fort entrances, but it was a close call.

I also had the time that I breached hell and the rampaging demons broke the floodgates I had holding back various bodies of water, so not only did hell flood, so did most of my fort.

billtodamax
2011-10-15, 05:07 PM
Mechanical failures? Well I'm not sure if this one counts:

I thought cage traps would be sufficient to guard my entrance.

I didn't think to make cages.

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-11-01, 09:13 AM
New changes coming to dwarf fortress sound cool. Historical figures from you civilization will be able to migrate to your fort. That includes adventure mode chars and abandoned fort citizens. This could be cool if we have a succession fort that gets abandoned only to have some of us make a return to a new fort.

Vampires migrating to your fort also sounds kinda cool too. Not sure how it would play out. Population size would likely be a factor. Having a vampire in a group of 20 dwarves would be easy to discover. A vampire in fort of 150 would be different.

Wookieetank
2011-11-01, 10:11 AM
Vampires migrating to your fort also sounds kinda cool too. Not sure how it would play out. Population size would likely be a factor. Having a vampire in a group of 20 dwarves would be easy to discover. A vampire in fort of 150 would be different.

Unless they sparkle, then ya know, kill it with fire!

Shpadoinkle
2011-11-01, 10:37 AM
New changes coming to dwarf fortress sound cool. Historical figures from you civilization will be able to migrate to your fort. That includes adventure mode chars and abandoned fort citizens. This could be cool if we have a succession fort that gets abandoned only to have some of us make a return to a new fort.

I REALLY hope there's an init option to disable this vampire stuff so I don't have to mod them out manually. It sounds like a huge Fun (but not fun) pain in the ass and something I don't want to deal with.

Grif
2011-11-01, 10:54 AM

Ha, this is great! The vampire stuff... um... I'm ambivalent I guess.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-01, 09:08 PM
I'm assuming that vampires crop up rarely enough that it's not that big a deal. Probably/Hopefully not something you'll have to deal with every fortress.

Necroticplague
2011-11-02, 05:02 AM
Meh, I hate having to deal with immigrants enough that I kill them all anyway, this shouldn't be an issue.

MonarchAnarch
2011-11-02, 07:55 AM
Started my new fort this morning, based on an idea I had, which has probably been done before.

RED DWARF!! (not the tv show)
During the plan carefully stage, I purchased ZERO skills. As soon as the game started, every dwarf had every skill turned on. (2 miners/wood choppers due to only 2 picks/axes)

Each dwarf migrant will have any existing skills, left on, and all other untrained skills turned on as well. Additionally, once I get my first migrant wave - all dwarves will have turns training in military. Since all dwarves have all jobs, it should all shake out. May be a bit rough getting started...but we'll see! :P

The forts name is "Scribedrazor"

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-11-02, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a cool challange fort. Just a word of warning. Don't have mining or wood cutting labors enabled on dwarves in the military. That fake uniform used for those tasks screws with the military. You'll have axes and picks laying around that won't ever get moved for no reason at all.

Arachu
2011-11-02, 11:34 AM
I have a tendency to get as many Dwarves on a specific task as I can manage. I also start out with large rooms, however, so while the slots for the workshops and whatnot are being carved out I tend to get every idle Dwarf on Stone Detailing duty.

By the time I'm fully established, I usually have two or three farms and floors so smooth you could see yourself in them (if they were mirrors) :smalltongue:

One time, though, I settled on a neutral mountain with the intention of making it a fortress. I plotted out a keep and a narrow inner wall, and ordered the preparation of an underground bunkercamp with workshops and a communal dormitory.

Then the wild Badger Boars came... *remaining eye stares into distance*

Yeah, I have trouble training a military...

Tehnar
2011-11-02, 01:10 PM
After being promoted to Baroness, she developed curious tastes. Aside from wanting items made of clear glass (a apsurdity all dwarves know is impossible), one night she ordered a captured goblin brought to her royal quarters. No one has seen her since she locked the doors.

The newly elected mayor has much more reasonable tastes, ordering dwarves to step up production of bolts, breastplates and short swords.

Rockphed
2011-11-02, 01:42 PM
After being promoted to Baroness, she developed curious tastes. Aside from wanting items made of clear glass (a apsurdity all dwarves know is impossible), one night she ordered a captured goblin brought to her royal quarters. No one has seen her since she locked the doors.

The newly elected mayor has much more reasonable tastes, ordering dwarves to step up production of bolts, breastplates and short swords.

The biggest problem with clear glass is that pearlash is so stinking far down the production chain. You could produce it with just a single piece of wood and magma furnaces, but it is an incredible bother. Green glass is much more fun(Infinite blocks For The Win!)

Tehnar
2011-11-02, 03:08 PM
Actually, the game is bugged and you can't make rock crystal items that would satisfy the mandate.

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-11-02, 04:16 PM
Can't you import crystal glass and then cut it into gems and crafts to satisfy mandates?

Leecros
2011-11-04, 11:56 AM
So, i lost my last Dwarf Fortress thanks to a lucky goblin siege during D&D(yes i play DF while playing D&D) earlier this week. So i genned new small world to play in, hoping for some weird circumstances. I don't think i got any of them, but anyway, i found a nice little embark. It only has deep metals though, but strangely i've found gold veins near the surface. I'll get to that in a second. It's centered around a volcano in the middle of some plains, so the only change in z-level around me is the volcano itself. So, i decided to scrap my typical fortress design. Despite how wonderful it serves me, i need to do something different for this embark. So, i'm working on building my fortress almost exclusively up Into the volcano with only some overflow below the surface z-level. It's turning out to be quite the little challenge. The base of the volcano is only ~90x85 and of course it gets smaller as you go up. On top of the actual magma pipe which takes up roughly a quarter of that. I then intend to build some kind of castle-like structure around it, but i'm sure i'll be immersed in !!Fun!! by then

Edit: oh and the gold that i forgot about...for some inexplicable reason there's gold veins at the top of the volcano, despite me only having "Deep metals"

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-11-04, 12:29 PM
You embark upon multiple biomes? Just because one biome lacks shallow metals doesn't mean the other does as well.

flabort
2011-11-04, 12:55 PM
Ah, my greatest engineering goof? Back before you could simply mark an area for "I want my animals to be able to roam in THIS spot", back in 40d, I had an island carved out, surrounded by magma, where my animals grazed, with a single irretrievable cage on it (how I got the animals there). I had a lot of animals, and wanted to expand it. So I dug some channels, built a bridge, what not. I'd forgotten to check where I'd already dug.

Urist McSleepyDwarf cancels sleep: Dangerous Terrain.

Huh? *Checks underground*

....Oh, shi-!

Necroticplague
2011-11-04, 01:30 PM
Ah, my greatest engineering goof? Back before you could simply mark an area for "I want my animals to be able to roam in THIS spot", back in 40d, I had an island carved out, surrounded by magma, where my animals grazed, with a single irretrievable cage on it (how I got the animals there). I had a lot of animals, and wanted to expand it. So I dug some channels, built a bridge, what not. I'd forgotten to check where I'd already dug.

Urist McSleepyDwarf cancels sleep: Dangerous Terrain.

Huh? *Checks underground*

....Oh, shi-!

If the lava was below you, what's the problem?

Leecros
2011-11-04, 09:58 PM
You embark upon multiple biomes? Just because one biome lacks shallow metals doesn't mean the other does as well.

There's definitely only one biome. I'm just going to chalk it up to World Gen weirdness. There's been weirder stuff happen than a couple of small(they really are small...:smallfrown:) gold veins appearing near the surface.

Luzahn
2011-11-04, 10:04 PM
Deep metal refers to the layer type it is found in. I think volcanoes are surrounded by the deep igneous type.

Leecros
2011-11-05, 09:55 AM
Huzzah! Strange mood today has granted me Guardtin, a Black Bronze Breastplate. It's not the most amazing artifact, but it does menace with Black Bronze spikes.

Most important is the Legendary armorer that i got out of it.:smallwink:

Luzahn
2011-11-05, 10:32 AM
Every proper artifact menaces.

Grif
2011-11-05, 10:40 AM
Huzzah! Strange mood today has granted me Guardtin, a Black Bronze Breastplate. It's not the most amazing artifact, but it does menace with Black Bronze spikes.

Better get him started on those Masterworks Steel Breastplates and Chain Leggings.

Necroticplague
2011-11-05, 10:42 AM

Lucky, every time I get a strange mood, its always a fell mood. That's why my workshops are located near nobles.

On an unrelated note, its been a while since I updated my dwarf fortress version, so I have a defense related question. Do flash-frying/flash-freezing traps still work? Ones where you have enemies walk through water, then near magma/ into open air, causing the water on them to boil/freeze, completely killing enemies that have internal organs.

Leecros
2011-11-05, 01:56 PM
So, my embark is getting more and more interesting as time goes by.

It would appear that my dorfs are at war with an Elven nation that goes by the name of "The Skins of Paint" . I wasn't aware of it(it's so rare, i tend not to look for special wars), so it was quite the surprise when i was ambushed by a squad of e's

Luzahn
2011-11-05, 09:39 PM
I think i need to stop generating world with five years of history. Most civilizations are leaderless.

Grif
2011-11-06, 06:39 AM
So, my embark is getting more and more interesting as time goes by.

It would appear that my dorfs are at war with an Elven nation that goes by the name of "The Skins of Paint" . I wasn't aware of it(it's so rare, i tend not to look for special wars), so it was quite the surprise when i was ambushed by a squad of e's

Eh, at least you don't have to go through the trouble of offering them wood products or murdering their merchants to get them to hate you. :smalltongue:

Leecros
2011-11-07, 02:03 PM
Let me tell you a story, The Story of Goden Shorasteral("Wirevessels"), The Axedwarf of Egenstakud("Giftmachine") .

It was the 20th of Felsite, 1054, The Age of Myth. Goden was going about his daily duties. When he wasn't on military duty he was a mason. So, on this bright and sunny day, he was carrying some stone to shore up the newly built southern walls. The biting wind struck his face. Although it was late spring, the are they were in was quite cold. The nearby pond just outside of the city wall was still frozen. However there was something about that wind that made him pause. It was full of some hidden malice.

He quickly looked around to discover that he was the only dwarf outside. Now this wasn't unusual, but it held a certain edge within his thoughts. So like any dwarfy dwarf he shrugged the feeling off and continued on his way. He was continuing about his job when he suddenly heard a loud cry. At the first thought he believed it was a badger. The little devils were always stumbling into traps, but it didn't take long before he realized that the cry was much louder and much deeper. This was indeed the cry of a Giant Badger. It didn't take Goden long to realize that Giant Badgers have never been seen around the wild here in the short history of Egenstakud. Which means there was only one reason why there would be one here now. After almost three years of silence, The Elves have returned.

Goden quickly grabbed his trusty battleaxe that was strapped onto his back and sprung into action. He ran to the entrance and shouted at another masondwarf that was heading out, "The Elves! The Elves have returned! Tell Mayor Sodelkacoth("Shieldconfined")!" The mason dropped what he was doing and ran back into the fortress to relay his message. Goden waited near the entrance for his orders. in the time it took for his orders to be relayed, he could already see the Giant Badgers in the distance. He also heard an elven shout as his mount got caught in one of the cage traps. Goden chuckled, despite many dwarves believing that Cage Traps weren't dwarfy, it was fortunate that Mayor Sodelkacoth felt that it was only true in large numbers, therefore had ten or fifteen traps scattered around the area. With several of them in somewhat random locations in and around the entrance.

When his orders came, he crushed them underfoot with rage. His orders were to retreat deeper into the fortress and set up an ambush. This irritated Goden, ambushes were so...Elven. Besides he could already see the filthy beasts coming through the incomplete gatehouse. So he planted his feet firmly on the ground, his axe in hand and waited.

The first wave approached. They charged into the entrance at the lone dwarf. The first Badger riding elf planned to barrel through the poor dwarf only to find his Badger fall out from under him and into a trap. The poor elf gave a startled scream as he fell on his face. Goden laughed and beheaded him with his axe. Before he could recover another Badger appeared behind him, pushing him from behind and caused him to fall over, bruising his ankle in the fall. Goden rolled and successfully swung his axe above him and cut off one of the badger's paw. As he stood up he heard a loud Plink! as an arrow was deflected by his armor. Goden flew into a rage and charged at the already doomed bowelf. He swung his axe ahead of him and almost succesfully cut off his left arm with a sturdy swing before colliding into him. He then began to remove the remaining limbs, cutting off his right leg and arm before performing a great insult and tore into his cheek with his very teeth. He then finished the job of cutting off the elf's left arm, followed by his left foot before leaving his crippled victim. Goden then turned towards his Badger opponent and sliced his other paw off. The Badger, seeing his missing feet flew into a rage of his own and attacked him, but not before Goden slammed into his stomach.*
*screencaptured that moment
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5986/axedwarf.jpg

Seeing Goden's bravery, the rest of his unit quickly organized into a counter attack. They charged bravely down the entrance of the fortress and engaged the elves in battle. The first three into the fray cripped the elf leading the charge quickly before moving onto the next opponent. Meanwhile Goden charged after the elves, oblivious to more elves pouring into the entrance behind him.

Goden managed to hack into a Badger's leg, slowing it down so he could punch the other leg and crush its left front toe and then hack at the Bowelf riding it. Scoring a firm hit on the elf's right upper arm while punching the right. Meanwhile the rest of his squad dispatched a second elf, fighting to save the dwarf whom so recently taught them how to be dwarves. However that rescue operation had reached an impass as Ale Wamirofa("scarbeach") renown swordmaster of "The Skins of Paint" fell upon the untrained dwarves. Injuring the lead dwarf in the foot with his sword as surely as Goden sliced the arm off of another bowelf.

Meanwhile Mayor Sodelkacoth organized The Arches of Paper, a unit of untrained dwarves used primarily for exploration to assist their bretherin in battle.

With the elf that Goden was assaulting, he again charged at him, tumbling them both into the ground before slicing off all of the poor elf's limbs and leaving him for dead.

Tragedy! as Monom Bungeklolor("Lizardletters") falls to Ale Wamirofa!

Suddenly a loud roar arises from the entrance to the fortress. A small pang of fear strikes at Goden. The Elves have released their War Grizzly Bears! Goden hacks into the nearest Badger in defiance tearing apart its stomach. Meanwhile Ale Wamirofa slashes into another of Goden's allies, cutting open Kel Nogdomas("Footguild"...appropriate).

The injured Badger, fearing Goden flees, taking the poor elf on his back along for the ride. Goden charged forward and out of the fortress, chasing him down(Damn You Tunnel Vision!) while Ale Wamirofa tears into another dwarf and The Arches of Paper join the fray.

Suddenly, Goden realizes his mistake and turns around, only to see even more elves and their dreaded war bears bearing down on him. He charges at the nearest bear and slices into it once, twice, three times into its upper body, leaving it a crippled wreck on the ground(seriously...that poor bear didn't get one attack). Suddenly, out of the din of battle an elf appeared riding a Giant Badger, Masami Quicoilila("Cyclonedrummed"), master swordself and leader of the Rear Guard and tamer of War Bears. However instead of assaulting Goden, he charged past him into the fortress while Goden crushes another Badger riding bowelf.

Meanwhile the battle within the fortress entrance was not going well as The Arches of Paper fall one by one, but Commander Tekkud Koltomus*"Wheelsshove"), with his artifact breastplate Duthnurakrul("Guardtin") has arrived onto the battlefield and Ale Wamirofa is engaged in a wrestling match with Fath Bomrekfikod("Whipglazed") who refuses to leave her march forward another inch without a fight.

As the battle continues the elves start fleeing when Goden charges after them, luring him farther and farther away from the battle. As Ale drags Fath, still trying to stop her from getting deeper into the fortress, along. The injured and dead dwarves pile up, as do the elves while Goden hacks away at more bowelfs, the main section of the army pushes towards the dining hall where most of the civilian dwarves are. There IS a faint glimmer of hope as Ale is finally struck down by Fath, however, she is quickly pushed back by Masami.

Goden meanwhile, charges deeper into the wilderness, hunting an elf who pegged his arm with an arrow and the elves break into the meeting hall, only to be beset on by a quickly organized group of dwarves, led by the mayor himself It is a desperate measure to protect the civilians, whom are quickly evacuated.

As the chaos springs loose and engulfs the fortress hope is slowly being extinguished. Tekkud, the militia commander is heavily wounded and many of his men lay dead or dying. Even the hastily organized militia led by the mayor may be doomed to fail as Goden realizes his folly and charges back to defend his home!

Fortunately after three days, the elven army is exhausted. Msasami sounds the retreat unknowingly retreating his men through Goden who manages to take down two more of his comrades. However, Masami lives to fight another day.On both sides there were many casualties. The dead and dying litter the hall.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4196/postbattlecarnage.jpg

as for Goden? Well, he killed seven elves that day, along with four of their Giant Badger mounts. On top of that he severely wounded several more elves. He was promoted to Commander of all of Egenstakud with Fath Bomrekfikod as his lieutenant. Fath also managed to kill several elves and badgers, making them both the saviors of the fortress.

I didn't even mention the 3 month old baby that was in that hallway(you can see it in the first screenshot) for the entire battle. She lived without a scratch(outside of being mentally scarred)

Here are the major players in the battle:
Goden(Mid-Battle):
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/464/godenmidbattle.jpg

Ale Wamirofa:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/48/alewamirofa.jpg

Masami Quicoilila:
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8063/masamiblahblahblah.jpg

Fath Bomrekfikod:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4482/fathwv.jpg

The Baby(Why not?):
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6048/thebabay.jpg
Oddly enough, i don't actually remember the kid's mother dying, but to be an understatement...i was rather busy at the time.

***Note: All of the commentary was being typed out as it happened***

Then the player looked out over his creation and in a loud voice that permeated the walls of his house he shouted: "I love Dwarf Fortress!"

Edit:
Epilogue:

The fortress of Egenstakud recovered. By winter of that year the daunting dwarves had washed the blood from the walls, removed the dead and collected lost items. The three Elves that were captured were stripped of their equipment and sacrificed to the pulsing heart of the world. The eighteen dwarves that died in battle were buried with honor. The 30-some elves that had died were dumped into the heart of the world. The dozens of Giant badgers were butchered for meat. The Dwarves ate well.:smallcool:

In that time Godon reorganized the military into two units, both of which trained regularly for the inevitable return of Masami and her Elven bretherin. The second unit, the former Arches of Paper was led by Fath Bomrekfikod whom had earned the right to carry a Steel Battleaxe and the friendship of Godon. The elven equipment was sold off for valuable metals to properly equip the dwarves and to build more dwarfy traps.

Legends called it The Typhoon Siege. The dwarves who fought through it called it Hell. Regardless of it's name, Egenstakud stands tall against The Elven Menace.

Tehnar
2011-11-08, 07:04 PM
Go Goden!

Next time devise some cruel and cunning traps for your invaders. Like the pattented toilet flusher.

Leecros
2011-11-10, 03:20 PM
Go Goden!

yeah, it's just a shame that he decided to go charging off after stragglers than stay in the heat of the battle for the entire siege. Based on how quickly and easily he was dismembering elves, i wouldn't have been surprised if his kills had doubled.

in other news, testing of the Dwarfy Hall Cleaning System(tm) has been complete.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6062/hallcleaningsystem.jpg

no longer do i have to clean up after pesky sieges or wash elf-blood off the walls. Nor do i have to collect their silly wooden armor and weapons. Now with just a few pump cranks i can clear that silly hall free!

It also doubles as a fortress defense, no dwarves were harmed in the making of this device, misuse may cause side effects. If you develop any of these side effects we suggest stop using DHCS immediately and talk to your doctor. Side effects include: strange fascination with magma, a burning sensation in your everywhere, forest fires, the burning of migrants and traders, nausea, loss of possessions, loss of fortress, dangerous terrain, and death.

MonarchAnarch
2011-11-10, 04:04 PM
That sir, is a sexy smexy cleanup system.

I had to abandon my communist dwarf map, just didn't feel inspired this time around.

I've regen'd and ended up on a seaside fort - 2nd time for this. So far, I'm excited. The starting z-level is sea level. No mountains, flat. Had to channel to get down below the icky grass.

Started carving out some preliminary areas, 5 levels down I hit a cavern. Inside this cavern is apparently a giant hollow tube that got its own pop up message. DO NOT TELL ME WHAT IS IN THERE. (I know its not clowns...been there, died by that).

So I'm sure I'll have fun making my own drowning rooms and sea wash system to clean out all the crap from my halls. Can't freaking wait. :)

Already had one tragedy though - mason didn't wall up the cavern hole yet, troll got in. Miner dead and one other unconcious with a red knee.

Rockphed
2011-11-11, 02:04 PM
That sir, is a sexy smexy cleanup system.

I had to abandon my communist dwarf map, just didn't feel inspired this time around.

I've regen'd and ended up on a seaside fort - 2nd time for this. So far, I'm excited. The starting z-level is sea level. No mountains, flat. Had to channel to get down below the icky grass.

Started carving out some preliminary areas, 5 levels down I hit a cavern. Inside this cavern is apparently a giant hollow tube that got its own pop up message. DO NOT TELL ME WHAT IS IN THERE. (I know its not clowns...been there, died by that).

So I'm sure I'll have fun making my own drowning rooms and sea wash system to clean out all the crap from my halls. Can't freaking wait. :)

Already had one tragedy though - mason didn't wall up the cavern hole yet, troll got in. Miner dead and one other unconcious with a red knee.

What was the pop-up for the tube? It sounds like a fun thing to try digging ramps all the way around so you can walk down it. Preferably 2 wide ramps so your adventurer can later walk on the inner wall without having to worry about dodging off a cliff.

Leecros
2011-11-14, 01:07 PM
I discovered the hard way today that gold is definitely not magma-safe. Looking at the wiki article for gold it appears as if it's melting point is 11915 Urists where the temperature of magma is 12000 Urists.

Whelp, there goes a dozen of my gold cages. At least Giftmachine has loads of gold so it shouldn't take too long to replace them. Just...a slight pain.

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-11-14, 01:21 PM
Hopefully you didn't loose any masterworks. I'd hate for Urist McBlacksmith to become Urist McAxecrazy.

MonarchAnarch
2011-11-14, 01:31 PM
What was the pop-up for the tube? It sounds like a fun thing to try digging ramps all the way around so you can walk down it. Preferably 2 wide ramps so your adventurer can later walk on the inner wall without having to worry about dodging off a cliff.

No military...to scared to open. And was busy creating a cistern for a well due to booze running low.

Things are better now drunken wise. I am still in the planning phase of my flushing moat, which will be the only way into my fortress.

Going to get setup for assaults before breaching the tube. I will admit, its the giant red button in the room, SOOOO want to press it. This game can be a cruel mistress though. I've avoided naming my dwarves like I normally do just in case opening the tube unleashes Cthulu. I wouldn't put it past bay12.

Leecros
2011-11-14, 04:47 PM
Hopefully you didn't loose any masterworks. I'd hate for Urist McBlacksmith to become Urist McAxecrazy.

nah, they were some of my early constructions to protect from early goblin thieves that never came(goblins are extinct).

MonarchAnarch
2011-11-15, 12:00 PM
Eureka!!! Not 5 minutes after I get my magma production area set up did my armorer go fey mood and claim a magma forge. Then I had to go to work.

As soon as I get home? It's time to get my 2 smelters going on some bar production. Here's praying for armor. Daddy needs a new legendary armorsmith. Only have ~30 dwarves right now, pretty new fortress.

MonarchAnarch
2011-11-17, 02:12 PM

Nothing of note.

It was just a giant spire ceiling to another cavern. :(