PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape BSOD

Fostire
2011-10-10, 11:34 AM
I know there was an inkscape thread for inkscape related issues but I haven't seen it in a while so I'm pretty sure it would be thread necromancy by now.

Anyway, the problem that brings me here is that Inkscape keeps giving me the blue screen of death when I try to launch it.

It's a fresh install and I tried re-installing it several times but it keeps doing it. I tried to google the problem but all I found were bug reports from a couple of people with similar problems but no solutions.

Older versions of inkscape used to work on my computer. I think the last version I had that worked was 0.46 so I'm gonna try to find and install that.

Has anyone here had a similar problem or knows of how I could try to fix it?

Phishfood
2011-10-10, 12:10 PM
Eugh inkscape. Soooo many issues.

Try downloading the portable version see if that makes any difference?

Fostire
2011-10-10, 12:53 PM
Portable version launched fine and using it for a few seconds didn't make my computer explode so that's good.

EDIT: Version 0.47 works fine as well.

shawnhcorey
2011-10-10, 07:28 PM
The latest and greatest stable version is 0.48. You can download it here (http://inkscape.org/download/).

Fostire
2011-10-11, 11:08 AM
The latest and greatest stable version is 0.48. You can download it here (http://inkscape.org/download/).

Yeah, that's the version that is giving me the blue screen.

Phishfood
2011-10-12, 06:01 AM
Inkscape haunts my nightmares.

Trying to deploy it on a network and then train idiots on the fact that (at the time) the default save path was c:\documents and settings\<user> not the redirected h:\ and thus anything saved at the default location would be lost.

Not to mention the crashes when importing a jpg.

Or the (at the time) non-standard file browser - looks like it was written to imitate mac, you know, rather than use the perfectly good built in windows file browser.

Its "better" now, but not forgiven.