PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class] The Abjurant Champion in 20 levels [PEACH]

BelGareth
2011-10-10, 01:45 PM
Abjurant Champion

Class skills (4 + Int Modifier per level): The Abjurant Champion's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str).

4 * (4 + Int Modifier) for first level

Alignment: Any

Starting Age: As Fighter

Starting Wealth: As Fighter

Hit Dice: d10

LevelBABFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecial0-1st2nd3rd4th5th6th
1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Armored Mage (Light), Combat casting, Martial Arcanist 41-----
2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Abjurant Armor42-----
3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Swift Abjuration43-----
4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Armored Mage (Medium)431----
5th +5 +4 +1 +4 Arcane Strike442----
6th +6/+1 +5 +2 +5 Arcane Boost, Elemental Shielding443----
7th +7/+2 +5 +2 +5 Improved Abjurant Armor, Dispelling strike4431---
8th +8/+3 +6 +2 +6 Arcane Boost, Entropic Shielding4442---
9th +9/+4 +6 +3 +6 Extended Abjuration4443---
10th +10/+5 +7 +3 +7 Arcane Boost, Hardened Abjurations +1 44431--
11th +11/+6/+1 +7 +3 +7 Shared Arcane Boost44442--
12th +12/+7/+2 +8 +4 +8 Arcane Boost44443--
13th +13/+8/+3 +8 +4 +8 Wall of Shields 1/day444431-
14th +14/+9/+4 +9 +4 +9 Arcane Boost444442-
15th +15/+10/+5 +9 +5 +9 Anchoring Shield, Hardened Abjurations +2444443-
16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +10 +5 +10 Improved Dispelling strike4444431
17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +10 +5 +10 Shield Mastery4444442
18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +11 +6 +11 Wall of Colorful Shields4444443
19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +11 +6 +11 Abjurant Incarnation4444443
20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +12 +6 +12 Abjuration Mastery, Hardened Abjurations +3 4444444

Proficiencies: Abjurant Champions are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and with light shields.

Spellcasting: Abjurant Champions cast arcane spells, which are drawn from the Abjurant Champion spell list (see below). An Abjurant Champion knows all spells of a level she is able to cast, she may cast a certain amount of spells per day as given on the table, like a Sorcerer. Like a Sorcerer, an Abjurant Champion receives bonus spells per day for having a high Charisma score.

In order to cast spells or regain used spells, the Abjurant Champion must rest for at least eight hours. To cast a spell, the Abjurant Champion must have a Charisma score of 10 + the level of the spell. The Difficulty Class of a save (if any) against an Abjurant Champion's spell is 10 + spell level + the Abjurant Champion's Charisma modifier.

Armored Mage (Ex): Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster's gestures, which can cause spells to fail if those spells have a somatic component. An Abjurant Champion's limited focus and specialized training, however, allows her to avoid arcane spell failure so long as she wears only light armor and light shields. This training does not extend to medium or heavy armors, nor to heavy shields. This ability does not apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

At 4th level, the Abjurant Champion learns to use medium armor with no chance of arcane spell failure.

Martial Arcanist (Ex): An Abjurant Champion learns to weave her spells and martial prowess as one; as such beginning at 1st level the Abjurant Champion uses her Base Attack Bonus as her caster level. This means the Abjurant Champion continues to gain caster levels even if she is multi-classing in another class, as long as she gains an improvement to her base attack bonus.

Combat Casting: At 1st Level an Abjurant Champion gains Combat Casting as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. If she already possesses this feat, she instead gains a Fighter bonus feat for which she meets the prerequisites.

Abjurant Armor (Su): Beginning at 2nd level an Abjurant Champion can add her intimate knowledge of the Abjuration school to her protective spells. Whenever the Abjurant champion casts a spell that provides a bonus to AC (including spells of the other schools) she may increase the bonus by her Cha Modifier up to a maximum of half her level (+10 Maximum). At 1st level this only applies to spells that the Abjurant Champion casts on herself. (For example Shield)

At 7th level this bonus applies to spells that grant AC bonuses to allies (for example Haste) and to spells that allow her to cast them on another character (for example Protection from evil) as well.

Swift Abjuration (Su): Beginning at 3rd level an Abjurant Champion understands the need to get her defenses in place quickly; she gains the ability to cast her Abjuration spells with the speed of thought. An amount per day equal to 3 + Cha Modifier the Abjurant Champion can cast any Abjuration spell she knows as a swift action.

Arcane Strike: At 5th Level an Abjurant Champion gains Arcane Strike as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. If she already possesses this feat, she instead gains a Fighter bonus feat for which she meets the prerequisites.

Elemental Shielding (Ex): Beginning at 6th level whenever an Abjurant Champion casts the Shield spell, it also acts as a Resist Energy spell.

Arcane Boost (Su): Beginning at 6th level the Abjurant Champion gains the ability to fuel her melee strikes with her arcane energy above and beyond most warrior mages. As a swift action, the Abjurant Champion can expend a spell slot to grant her a bonus for a number of rounds equal to her Charisma modifier.

6th Level – Bonus on attack rolls equal to the spell level
8th Level – Bonus on Damage rolls equal to 2 x the spells level
10th Level – Resistance to Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire or Sonic equal to 5 x the level of the spell.
12th Level – Bonus to AC equal to the spell level
14th Level – Bonus on saving throws equal to the spell level

At 11th Level the Abjurant Champion can grant these benefits to her allies who are within 30 ft of her.

Dispelling strike (Ex): Beginning at 7th level an Abjurant Champion learns how to deliver strikes that unweave her opponents spells. As a standard action an Abjurant Champion can sacrifice a spell of 3rd level or higher to deliver a Dispelling strike. This acts just like the spell Dispel Magic. If the Abjurant Champion sacrifices a spell of 4th level or higher she gets a bonus on the level check equal to the spell level -3.

At 16th level the Abjurant Champion may sacrifice a 6th level spell to deliver a Greater Dispel Magic instead.

Entropic Shielding (Ex): Beginning at 8th level whenever an Abjurant Champion casts the Shield spell, it also acts as a circle of protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law (choose upon casting).

Extended Abjuration (Su): Beginning at 9th level an Abjurant Champion's expertise of the Abjuration school grants the Abjurant Champion’s spells increased duration. All Abjuration spells she casts are doubled in length as if affected by the Extend Spell feat (but without any change in level or casting time).

Hardened Abjurations (Ex): Beginning at 10th level your Abjuration affects are hard to dispel, all of your Abjuration spells gain a +1 DC for affects of dispelling and spell level checks.

This bonus increases to +2 at 15th level and +3 at 20th level.

Wall of Shields (Sp): Beginning at 13th level an experienced Abjurant Champion learns to weave spells to protect the people around them, 1/day the Abjurant Champion may create a wall of Force as the spell as an immediate action.

Anchoring Shield (Ex): Beginning at 15th level whenever an Abjurant Champion casts the Shield spell, she can if she wishes to also have it act as a Dimensional Lock centered on the Abjurant Champion, lasting as long as the shield spell.

Shield Mastery (Ex): Beginning at 17th level the Abjurant Champion has mastered the art of the shield spell, whenever an Abjurant Champion casts the shield spell it is considered to be an Extraordinary ability instead of a spell allowing it to work inside an anti-magic field and similar affects.

Wall of colorful Shields (Sp): Beginning at 18th level an Abjurant Champion learns to weave spells to protect the people around them with more effect, the Abjurant Champion can now make a Prismatic Wall as the spell in addition to a Wall of Force, in addition she may use this ability 2/day.

Abjurant Incarnation (Su): The Abjurant Champion’s very body becomes infused with spells of the Abjuration school, hardening it and reinforcing her mind. Beginning at 19th level the Abjurant Champion is under a constant Mindblank effect. This can be lowered/raised as a free action. The DC for this is 18 + Abjurant Champions Cha Modifier(this benefits from the Hardened abjurations ability).

Abjurant Mastery (Ex): The Abjurant Champion has mastered her art; she no longer has a limit to the amount of Abjuration spells she can cast as a swift action per day. She may cast the Shield spell as an immediate action, she may use her Wall of shields ability 3/day and add Prismatic Sphere to the list of options.

SPELLS

Spell List:
O Level –
Daze, Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic, Cure Minor wounds

1st Level –
Alarm, Cure Light wounds, Endure Elements, Hold Portal, Protection from Evil/Chaos/Good/Law, Shield, Mage Armor, Obscuring mist, Silent Image, Feather Fall

2nd Level –
Arcane Lock, Cure Moderate Wounds, Obscure Object, Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy, Fog cloud, See invisibility, Gust of wind, Blur, Invisibility, Bears Endurance, Whispering wind, Scintillating scales

3rd Level –
Anticipate Teleport, Cure Serious Wounds, Dispel Magic, Explosive Runes, Magic Circle of protection Evil/Chaos/Good/Law, Nondetection, Greater MAge Armor, Protection from Energy, Sleet storm, Phantom Steed, Wind Wall, Displacement, Blink, Fly, Haste

4th Level –
Dimensional Anchor, Cure Critical Wounds, Fire Trap, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Remove Curse, Stoneskin, Black Tentacles, Dimension door, Solid Fog, Fire Shield, Ice Storm, Wall of Ice, Ray Deflection, Greater Invisibility

5th Level –
Break Enchantment, Mass Cure Light Wounds, Dismissal, Heroes Feast, Mages Private Sanctum, Teleport, Wall of Stone, Interposing Hand, Wall of Force, Duelward, Energy Immunity, Globe of Invulnerability, Mass Bears Endurance

6ht Level –
Antimagic Field, Antimagic Ray, Mass Cure Moderate Wounds, Greater Dispel Magic, Guards and wards, Heal, Repulsion, Wall of Iron, True Seeing, Freezing Sphere, Sequester, Spell Turning, Greater Teleport, Forcecage, Mass Invisibility

EPIC Progression

LevelSpecial
21-
22Spell Resistance
23Bonus Feat
24-
25Hardened Abjurations +4, Fortified Soul
26Bonus Feat
27-
28Inured Soul
29Bonus Feat
30Indomitable Soul, Hardened Abjurations +5

Spellcasting: The Abjurant Champion’s caster level is equal to her class level. The Abjurant champion’s number of spells per day does not increase after 20th level.

Spell Resistance (Su): The Abjurant Champions becomes so infused with the protective energy of abjurations that his very being becomes resistant to spells of all kind. The Abjurant Champion gains SR 12 + ECL.

Bonus Feats: The epic Abjurant Champion gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic bonus feats) every three levels after 20th. An Abjurant Champion may ignore the prerequisites for 9th level spells.

Epic Bonus Feat List: Augmented Alchemy, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Energy Resistance, Enhance Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Familiar Spell, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Intensify Spell, Master Staff, Master Wand, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Spell Knowledge, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity.

Hardened Abjurations (Ex): The Abjurant Champion continues to advance his knowledge of the Abjuration school, his abjuration spells gain a bonus +1 DC for affects of dispelling and spell level checks for every 5 levels above 20th.

Fortified Soul (Ex): The very soul of the Abjurant Champion becomes fortified from all the abjuration spells he casts, beginning at 24th level the Abjurant champion becomes immune to any abjurant spell and can choose whether or not to be affected by the spell. This does not affect Antimagic spells/zones/rays and Disjunctions.

Inured Soul (Ex): The protection granted from the Abjurant Champions fortified soul grows stronger, the Abjurant champion is immune to the affects of any spell that recreates an antimagic zone (but not a natural phenomenon i.e wild zones or the like)

Indomitable Soul (Ex): The Abjurant Champion reaches his pinnacle of power and is now immune to disjunctions of any kind, this ability protects any and all items on the Abjurant Champions person and all active spells.

NOTES

Admittedly I'm having problems with 4th level (and 5th?), as of right now its rather bland.

Abjurant Armor stacks apply the bonus to the spell and therefore adds it to the according bonus type.
For example Protection from evil is a deflection bonus, you would be able to cast a Protection from evil and a Shield to benefit from the ability twice.
A 4th Abjurant Champion would gain the following benefits from the above mentioned spells:
Shield 4 + 2 (Shield bonus)
Protection from Evil 2 + 2 (Deflection bonus)

EPIC Notes
Abjurant armor caps @ +10 (added text to reflect that) if this were to continue advancing into epic it would get out of hand, very quickly.
Gave the ability to ignore the 9th level caster requirement for epic feats.

EDITS
10/10/11 Added Spontaneous Shield to 4th level.
10/10/11 Changed spellcasting to Charisma based and at will from spell list. Also added cure spells to spell list.
10/12/11 Removed spontaneous casting, changed swift casting to Cha based
10/17/11 Changed Anchoring shield to Dimensional Lock from Dimensional Anchor, changed it to level 15th. Changed Arcane Boost to rounds/Cha mod from 1 round.
12/3/11 Added Epic progression

Inspiration from Jarian and her Swiftblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192259) class.

NeoSeraphi
2011-10-10, 01:54 PM
Due to the nature of this class, in order to help with the defensive and support feel, I think you should add the cure spells to this character's spell list. If the bard can heal, this class should be able to as well. (After all, the bard gets illusions and enchantment, while the abjurant champion actually has very few offensive spells)

Edit: Additionally, you have a problem here, fluffwise. Arcane casters who prepare always use a spellbook. How is this character supposed to "prepare" his spells if he doesn't have them written down somewhere or is receiving them from a divine source? You say she "organizes her mind", but that doesn't really make sense to me. If she has knowledge of the spells, why does she need to spend time preparing them in order to cast them, when a sorcerer doesn't?

YouLostMe
2011-10-10, 02:32 PM
Skimming this, I find this class very cool. Neither fourth nor fifth level are too bland--one granting a bonus feat and the other granting a new level of spell access (both of which are pretty damn solid).

Since these guys are only getting spells through level 5, I don't see much reason to not give them at-will casting off of the list. Preparatory casting is a hassle, weird flavor-wise (see NeoSeraphi's critique), and adds complication to the class--which I just personally don't enjoy.

Solid class, though.

BelGareth
2011-10-10, 02:44 PM
Due to the nature of this class, in order to help with the defensive and support feel, I think you should add the cure spells to this character's spell list. If the bard can heal, this class should be able to as well. (After all, the bard gets illusions and enchantment, while the abjurant champion actually has very few offensive spells)

I hadn't thought about adding cure spells to the spell list, at first I didn't like the idea. and then I thought about it for a few minutes and feel like its a solid idea.
However, I don't feel like it should be a main idea of the class, more an additional plus.
With all that said, I like it and will edit the spell list accordingly.

Edit: Additionally, you have a problem here, fluffwise. Arcane casters who prepare always use a spellbook. How is this character supposed to "prepare" his spells if he doesn't have them written down somewhere or is receiving them from a divine source? You say she "organizes her mind", but that doesn't really make sense to me. If she has knowledge of the spells, why does she need to spend time preparing them in order to cast them, when a sorcerer doesn't?

Since these guys are only getting spells through level 5, I don't see much reason to not give them at-will casting off of the list. Preparatory casting is a hassle, weird flavor-wise (see NeoSeraphi's critique), and adds complication to the class--which I just personally don't enjoy.

Good point, and since the spell list is somewhat...restricted (but not overly so) it wouldn't much in the power curve to change casting to any spell known.

I like it.

Skimming this, I find this class very cool. Neither fourth nor fifth level are too bland--one granting a bonus feat and the other granting a new level of spell access (both of which are pretty damn solid).

Good point, A feat (especially that one, is nothing to balk at)

Thanks for both of your input!

YouLostMe
2011-10-10, 02:56 PM
Mmm a couple more things, actually.

1) 2 + Int skills is probably going to mean 1 skill for this class, since its MAD between Str, Con, and Cha all ready. Maybe bump that to 3+ or 4+ to be nice.

2) I know most people don't care about this, but I'd love to see a starting wealth and age (I can't seem to find it on the class... maybe I'm blind?). Would you mind tossing those on--I'm planning on making a level 1 char with this guy.

BelGareth
2011-10-10, 02:58 PM
Mmm a couple more things, actually.

1) 2 + Int skills is probably going to mean 1 skill for this class, since its MAD between Str, Con, and Cha all ready. Maybe bump that to 3+ or 4+ to be nice.

2) I know most people don't care about this, but I'd love to see a starting wealth and age (I can't seem to find it on the class... maybe I'm blind?). Would you mind tossing those on--I'm planning on making a level 1 char with this guy.

I was juggling between 2 + Int and 4 + Int, and you are right, and initially as the class was Int based it wasn't a problem. So I will Edit that to 4 + Int.

No your not blind, they are not there, I will add those now.

BelGareth
2011-10-11, 12:45 PM
Nothing Else?

er...BUMP :smalltongue:

Lyndworm
2011-10-12, 05:09 AM
First things first: I love the PrC, and I really like your interpretation as a Base class. You've done a pretty great job.

Aside from a few typos/grammatical issues, I can only see a few strange things here.

As it's currently worded, Swift Abjuration only works on prepared spells and is keyed off of Intelligence. I feel like these are both oversights, but I could be wrong.
Since the class is a spontaneous caster, the Spontaneous Shield ability basically just turns shield into a 0th level spell.
That's it. Otherwise, you seem to have done a pretty solid job. Good on you, man.

BelGareth
2011-10-12, 09:07 AM
First things first: I love the PrC, and I really like your interpretation as a Base class. You've done a pretty great job.

Aside from a few typos/grammatical issues, I can only see a few strange things here.

As it's currently worded, Swift Abjuration only works on prepared spells and is keyed off of Intelligence. I feel like these are both oversights, but I could be wrong.
Since the class is a spontaneous caster, the Spontaneous Shield ability basically just turns shield into a 0th level spell.
That's it. Otherwise, you seem to have done a pretty solid job. Good on you, man.

Your absolutely right, I forgot to change those things when I changed the casting to spontaneous, thanks for letting me know. I will change them now...

Glad you liked it and thanks for critiquing!

EDIT: do you think (if you have time) you could point out the spelling/grammatical errors me? I know they are there, I just have a terrible time finding my own ones. Thanks!

Tanuki Tales
2011-10-12, 09:58 AM
Just want to chime in on the fluff bit;

There was a character option (might have been an ACF, can't remember off the top of my head) from Dragon Magazine that let a Wizard replace their spellbook for an eidetic memory of their magic. So there is some shaky precedent for preparing spells without book or god.

Lyndworm
2011-10-12, 10:01 PM
do you think (if you have time) you could point out the spelling/grammatical errors me? I know they are there, I just have a terrible time finding my own ones. Thanks!

Yeah, no problem. I'll go ahead and look through the class again and see if I can't find everything. (Protip: I probably can't, but I will try.)

In the class skills there should be a comma and/or the word "and" between Spot and Swim.
In the Spellcasting entry there should not be an apostrophe in "Abjurant Champions."
The second sentence reads "certain amount spells;" there should be an "of" there.
Not a grammatical issue, but the first sentence of the second paragraph indicates that this class is required to "sleep for at least 8 hours" while other classes only require rest (which is mechanically different).
The next sentence reads "an Charisma score;" it should read "a Charisma score."
The second sentence of the Armored Mage ability reads "A Abjurant Champion's;" it should be "An Abjurant Champion's."
In the first sentence of the Combat Casting entry, "casting" should be capitalized. In the second sentence the second instance of the word "for" is redundant.
The same problem with "for" is found in the entry for Arcane Strike.
In the Entropic Shielding entry, you're missing the word "from" and a period.
The Extended Abjuration entry should read "Abjurant Champion's;" you're missing the apostrophe. Also, the second sentence needs a period.
The Shield Mastery ability reads "considered as a Extraordinary ability," it should probably be "considered to be an Extraordinary ability."
The first sentence of the Wall of Colorful Shields ability should use the word "effect," not the word "affect."
In the first sentence of the Abjurant Incarnation ability, the word "Hardening" should not be capitalized, nor should the word "The" in the second.
That's all I saw, but I probably missed a couple.

BelGareth
2011-10-12, 10:03 PM
Thank you VERY much. :smallbiggrin:

Kymme
2011-10-12, 10:27 PM
I love abjurant champions, and i love this class! :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2011-10-13, 01:23 AM
Changed picture....not sure I like it...Any suggestions?

YouLostMe
2011-10-13, 01:25 AM
It's better than the one before it, but I don't see any relation to the theme.

BelGareth
2011-10-13, 11:06 AM
It's better than the one before it, but I don't see any relation to the theme.

So true....Alas I have scoured the interwebs and found only this....At least this looks defensive and protecrtive.....:smallfrown:

Andion Isurand
2011-10-13, 02:59 PM
There is a spell progression error on level 16 involving 5th level spells.

I would make the effect of Anchoring Shield optional.

BelGareth
2011-10-13, 03:04 PM
There is a spell progression error on level 16 involving 5th level spells.

I would make the effect of Anchoring Shield optional.

Oh yeah, thank you!

And yes, that is a good idea. Making it an option at casting, so they aren't restricted themselves. Or maybe being able to lower the affect?....

Andion Isurand
2011-10-13, 03:17 PM
Either way... I would consider using Dimensional Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalLock.htm) instead of Dimensional Anchor so you can affect an area. (and bump the ability to level 15 if doing so)

Or perhaps, give the Abjurant Champion ability the channel Dimensional Anchor spells through her weapon strikes.

Here's a possible rewording for another ability:

Martial Arcanist (Ex): An Abjurant Champion learns to weave her spells and martial prowess as one. Whenever she casts a spell derived from her Abjurant Champion class, she may do so with a caster level equal to her Base Attack Bonus.

I would also take a look at the Somatic Weaponry feat, giving the Abjurant Champion the ability to perform somatic components when hands are full.

BelGareth
2011-10-17, 03:44 PM
Either way... I would consider using Dimensional Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalLock.htm) instead of Dimensional Anchor so you can affect an area. (and bump the ability to level 15 if doing so)

Or perhaps, give the Abjurant Champion ability the channel Dimensional Anchor spells through her weapon strikes.

Here's a possible rewording for another ability:

Martial Arcanist (Ex): An Abjurant Champion learns to weave her spells and martial prowess as one. Whenever she casts a spell derived from her Abjurant Champion class, she may do so with a caster level equal to her Base Attack Bonus.

I would also take a look at the Somatic Weaponry feat, giving the Abjurant Champion the ability to perform somatic components when hands are full.
Thanks!
I changed it to Dimensional Lock, that was what I going for anyway, so yeah. Good catch on that.

As for the Somatic Weaponry feat, I don't see the class being an offensive juggernaut, they are a defensive one instead. I don't see it as a need for the class.

hisnamehere
2011-10-20, 09:29 PM
I don't really want to pick at this, 'cause I really like Abjurant Champions (regardless of the incarnation), but...
Isn't a full BAB, 2 good saves, class abilities, plus 1st level spellcasting class overpowered (next to others, such as the bard)?

Let's be frank - I really WANT to be convinced otherwise. :smallbiggrin:

gabrion
2011-10-20, 10:18 PM
Perhaps it's too out of flavor for this class, but I would love to see the Thunderlance spell (SC 220) on this guy's list.

I mean as a defensive tank type it could make sense just by virtue of the fact that they often end up being AoO kings and reach is huge in that regard.